I am trying add my Thai bank account to Paypal - sort code?

So I am trying to sign up to paypal and they are asking for a 6 digit sort code. Back in the UK I'd get this number from statements but I can't find this number anywhere on my documents and they look totally bewildered when I asked them in branch. They gave me a swift code which has 8 letters not 6 like asked for on Paypal.

Please help me TVF wai2.gif

You can't add Thai accounts to western PayPal accounts as sort codes are non existent here.

You need to create a new PayPal account, using a different email addy .. Great isn't it ?!

PayPal will identify you are in Thailand and forward you to a Thai PayPal ( English language ). I don't think I managed to verify my account but it's instantly usable.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

You can't add Thai accounts to western PayPal accounts as sort codes are non existent here.

You need to create a new PayPal account, using a different email addy .. Great isn't it ?!

PayPal will identify you are in Thailand and forward you to a Thai PayPal ( English language ). I don't think I managed to verify my account but it's instantly usable.

I have a Paypal account and use my Australian credit card and my Thai debit card with this account.

• Like 1

My guess is that you have signed up to PayPal and / or E Bay using a UK or European address, so PayPal expect a Bank in that country with a sort code.

(I had that problem and could see no way around this, so I then managed to set up PayPal with a Thailand address etc, then PayPal did not ask for a Sort Code.) However I had endless problems paying etc

In the end I got the Thai PayPal account with a Krung Thai bank account, which I then changed address and bank details several months later to my UK address and bank, since then no problems..

Edited by Pdavies99

I have a Paypal account and use my Australian credit card and my Thai debit card with this account.
I'm sure you may have .. But this is about adding your bank account, not adding another card. Not the same.

I think the fees are lower, and if you have already have a western PayPal account it won't let you proceed adding you bank account without providing a sort code.

Sort codes don't exist in Thailand .. PayPal are aware of this and the word is open a "Thai" PayPal account.

Edited by recom273

Do you have for your Australian credit card and address in Thailand. I use on my Thai Paypal account and German visa card and a Thai Bangkok Bank visa card and it works but only because I used a billing address in Thailand for the German card.

Do you have for your Australian credit card and address in Thailand. I use on my Thai Paypal account and German visa card and a Thai Bangkok Bank visa card and it works but only because I used a billing address in Thailand for the German card.

I set up paypal originally with my Australian credit card and Australian address then added the Thai bank account/debit card later. It works good. It gives me the option of switching between cards before purchase.

However. I recently tried setting up paypal for my wife and could not get the 4 digit code. I tried twice with no joy.

I had a bad experience with PayPal from USA to here. I opened a US PayPal account and linked it to my US bank account. I then had to open a Thai PayPal account and link it to my Thai bank account. Then I could transfer money from US bank account to US PayPal to Thai PayPal to Thai bank account. The problem was the US bank blocked my account for "suspicious activities" and I could not get it unblocked except by showing up at the US branch where I opened my US account. A $100 PayPal test transfer cost me 121,000 baht in airfare to get my account cleared. Be warned!

I'm sure you may have .. But this is about adding your bank account, not adding another card. Not the same.

I think the fees are lower, and if you have already have a western PayPal account it won't let you proceed adding you bank account without providing a sort code.

Sort codes don't exist in Thailand .. PayPal are aware of this and the word is open a "Thai" PayPal account.

So you mean adding a bank account that does not have a debit card?

I am no expert when it comes to banking so can only say what i have and would not give advice on how to go about getting things set up.

Swift codes are used in Thailand. If your bank here does not know their swift code,

you need to change banks..... :-) If the data entry box on Paypal will not accept

the 8 digit code, you need to contact Paypal to ask what to do...

He said they did give him the swift code so no problems there.

If you are talking about the verification code that is expected to appear in the statements, you had better call the bank.

That worked very well for me with Bangkok Bank, very professional hotline agent that gave it to me in a few seconds, while the branch agent was unable to understand my request, although I was with a Thai person to speak for me...

• Like 1

I had to do the same,, Open a new paypal account (Thailand),, use another email address to use with it,,, (maybe possible to use the same email address you already use for your US/UK PP account, I can't remember if it allowed that) then link it to my Thai bank account, (SCB),, then worked the same as my US PayPal ,, enter the info, PayPal deposits a small amount to your Thai bank account, about .02 Baht, go back onto PayPal,,,, enter the amount to verify,,, You can then, transfer money from either PayPal account back and forth,,, Thai PayPal to your US/UK PP account,, deposit into that linked bank,,,, or from US/UK bank, uploaded to US/UK PayPal,, transfer from US/UK PayPal to Thai PayPal, withdraw into linked Thai bank account,,, it's actually a nice way to kinda do a, international "wire" to yourself,,, without the fees, Withdrawl's from Thai PP, to Thai banks takes about 5-7 days to hit your Thai bank,,,, BTW,,,,, My bank,, SCB,, has their SWIFT code posted on their general website for THAT,, MY particular branch,, so depending on which bank you use here,, They might also,, If you update your passbook, at an automated machine, you'll see the very small PP deposit,,, AND can get their swift code from their website,,, you could do it all without having to even go to your bank,,,

Edited by Adeeos

go to the Kasikorn Bank. It's the only one I found to link my Paypal account and they also know Paypal and don't look at you like you're an alien when you ask. At least it worked on Koh Samui. I don't know where you are but try with them

• Like 1

I had a bad experience with PayPal from USA to here. I opened a US PayPal account and linked it to my US bank account. I then had to open a Thai PayPal account and link it to my Thai bank account. Then I could transfer money from US bank account to US PayPal to Thai PayPal to Thai bank account. The problem was the US bank blocked my account for "suspicious activities" and I could not get it unblocked except by showing up at the US branch where I opened my US account. A $100 PayPal test transfer cost me 121,000 baht in airfare to get my account cleared. Be warned!

Yeah, these security lockouts are a hassle. I have a tenant in the States and every single month without fail, he pays the rent electronically to my US bank and every month they lock my account for suspicious activity then unlock it a few days later. I made a point of getting to know my bank manager before I left for SEA so any issues are usually resolved with an email as she knows me personally and knows I can't just pop into the branch with an ID every month. I use a VPN now when I do any overseas financial related business and they all think I am dialing in from Colorado or Pennsylvania or some other random switch based in the US. Works like a charm.

So I am trying to sign up to paypal and they are asking for a 6 digit sort code. Back in the UK I'd get this number from statements but I can't find this number anywhere on my documents and they look totally bewildered when I asked them in branch. They gave me a swift code which has 8 letters not 6 like asked for on Paypal.

Sounds like you are trying to link your bank account with a non Thai paypal account. PayPal will not allow you to do this. You need to open a PayPal account in Thailand using PayPal.co.th and you wil then find the account association form has an 8 digit Swift Code input field. PayPal are understandably quite restrictive on linking different countries banks with other countries paypal.accounts to try and prevent their services being used for money laundering. As a sidenote PayPal is quite an expensive service if you are using it just to transfer money - their exchange rates are awful.

I had to do the same,, Open a new paypal account (Thailand),, use another email address to use with it,,, (maybe possible to use the same email address you already use for your US/UK PP account, I can't remember if it allowed that) then link it to my Thai bank account, (SCB),, then worked the same as my US PayPal ,, enter the info, PayPal deposits a small amount to your Thai bank account, about .02 Baht, go back onto PayPal,,,, enter the amount to verify,,, You can then, transfer money from either PayPal account back and forth,,, Thai PayPal to your US/UK PP account,, deposit into that linked bank,,,, or from US/UK bank, uploaded to US/UK PayPal,, transfer from US/UK PayPal to Thai PayPal, withdraw into linked Thai bank account,,, it's actually a nice way to kinda do a, international "wire" to yourself,,, without the fees, Withdrawl's from Thai PP, to Thai banks takes about 5-7 days to hit your Thai bank,,,, BTW,,,,, My bank,, SCB,, has their SWIFT code posted on their general website for THAT,, MY particular branch,, so depending on which bank you use here,, They might also,, If you update your passbook, at an automated machine, you'll see the very small PP deposit,,, AND can get their swift code from their website,,, you could do it all without having to even go to your bank,,,

i really wondering how many stupid advises people post here without any knowledge,

1. this way bank to paypal to thai paypal to thai bank will cost you 10 times more than a international transfer

paypal charge you fee for paypal to paypal account, than you have to withdraw thai baht with a very bad rate you losing about 5 to 7% for sure

2 read carefully!

you can open a thai paypal account with a credit card whatever country, only thing is you need a emailadress never linked to any other paypal account and a thai adress, (even a fake one, they charge you a deposit of 70 baht and on you bankstatement about 3 days later you see a 4 digit code this ypu have to enter in your paypalaccount by verify your credit card

or you link your thai bankaccount to your paypal account, you need only your account number, no swift or other codes, you choose the name of the bank and you put your account number in, paypal will sell 2 amounts of something betrween 0.02 Baht to 0.2 baht to your account, this 2 amounts you have to put in your paypal account as confirmation.

this are the 2 ways for opening a verifyed thai paypal account,

ou cant send money to your paypal account by bank transfer, only when you use a credit or debit card or a payment from another paypalaccount!!

this is all about thai paypal

Edited by chickenrunCM

Sounds like you are trying to link your bank account with a non Thai paypal account. PayPal will not allow you to do this. You need to open a PayPal account in Thailand using PayPal.co.th and you wil then find the account association form has an 8 digit Swift Code input field. PayPal are understandably quite restrictive on linking different countries banks with other countries paypal.accounts to try and prevent their services being used for money laundering. As a sidenote PayPal is quite an expensive service if you are using it just to transfer money - their exchange rates are awful.

Paypal never ask for a SWIFT CODE!!

you choose your thai bank and then you put in a 10 digit account number

Paypal not allows to use a bank account outside the country you adress the paypal account, except US bank accounts, this you can link to any paypal account

i really wondering how many stupid advises people post here without any knowledge,

1. this way bank to paypal to thai paypal to thai bank will cost you 10 times more than a international transfer

paypal charge you fee for paypal to paypal account, than you have to withdraw thai baht with a very bad rate you losing about 5 to 7% for sure

2 read carefully!

you can open a thai paypal account with a credit card whatever country, only thing is you need a emailadress never linked to any other paypal account and a thai adress, (even a fake one, they charge you a deposit of 70 baht and on you bankstatement about 3 days later you see a 4 digit code this ypu have to enter in your paypalaccount by verify your credit card

or you link your thai bankaccount to your paypal account, you need only your account number, no swift or other codes, you choose the name of the bank and you put your account number in, paypal will sell 2 amounts of something betrween 0.02 Baht to 0.2 baht to your account, this 2 amounts you have to put in your paypal account as confirmation.

this are the 2 ways for opening a verifyed thai paypal account,

ou cant send money to your paypal account by bank transfer, only when you use a credit or debit card or a payment from another paypalaccount!!

this is all about thai paypal

No knowledge?... You're right,,, I've never done it,, So you're saying, it's NOT possible to "upload", add $$ to your PP account, from the bank linked to it?,,, Then how does one add $$ to a PP account?,,, I can go into my US PP account,, with NO $$ in it, send a payment to myself to my Thai PP account, $ is drawn from the US bank account, hits my Thai PP account, which I can then witdraw/deposit to my Thai bank account,, There's NO fee to withdraw from Thai PP account to my Thai bank if over $5000 Baht,,, Simple Huh?,,, Now back to your Chang/Leo/ rot gut Thai home-brew,,, "correcting" others that are, "wrong" on the internet,,, Jeeez

Edited by Adeeos
  • Like 1

All you need is the verification code that Paypal sent to your Thai bank account. If you have Kasikorn , you just log in to your onlline banking and look for the last weeks statement and there you'll find it . Not sure about the other banks but Kasikorn is very easy to use.

When I buy something from Ebay , I use paypal and receive text message from Kasikorn when they have transfered the money.

• Like 1

First thing to do is go in to the bank and check your card is authorised for international use. Once I opened mine paypal accepted it with swift code. You can easily find the swift code here https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=thai%20bank%20swift%20codes.

I use it daily without any problems.