Qatar Airways A380 DOH-BKK

Chicog

Got an email yesterday that Qatar are flying the A380 daily to Swampy as of yesterday.

DOH-BKK QR836

BKK-DOH QR833

They are also flying it to London and Paris.

Not having flown that particular aircraft yet, I discovered my upcoming flight has been switched to it. Sweet start to the trip as I am at the pointy end!

biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I don't understand the attraction of flying on an A380, particularly in economy. Compared to smaller aircraft and with potentially 500 - 600 passengers, you get longer queues at check-in, crowded and lengthy boarding procedures as well as getting off the plane, and longer waits at baggage claim. Then there are 500 - 600 people all hitting immigration at the same time. If for some reason you have a flight cancellation, you will have a much more difficult time getting rebooked.

So what exactly is the appeal of flying on an aircraft with so many passengers when there is no difference with seating and on-board service, as compared to flying on a smaller wide-body aircraft, such as an A330, B777 or B787? That is, excluding the added features in business or first, such as the onboard bar and showers on Emirates. I am sure Airbus and the airlines have done some excellent marketing and enjoys passengers' attraction to the A380, as the revenue and profit with a full A380 is nice. But what does it do for the average passenger?

• Like 1

Note to those who must fly cattle class in the 380 :

There is a small 5 or 6 row section in the upper deck, rear of the aircraft that is soooooo much nicer than the main cabin.

Usually 2-2-2 with more legroom, especially the forward, bulkhead seats. There is a toilet for that section that you aren't sharing with 300 other people and it is so much less crowded with much better air...not nearly as stuffy as the main cabin gets.

The downside?? Rear of the plane is a rougher ride with a lot of sway on landings and significantly more engine noise...good earphones a big +. Also, you will be among the last off the plane at disembarkation....unless of course, they open the rear doors.

My only trip so far on an A380 was in Economy on TG from Tokyo and I was seated upstairs at the rear. The seating was the was 2-4-2 (if I counted correctly, it's 56 seats) with two lavatories at the rear. Quite comfortable and it was the quietest I've ever experienced on a plane. On the climb out from Tokyo, I think the air circulation blowers were turned off for a few minutes after take off -- it was VERY quiet until the normal "whoosh of air" sound restarted.

I guess I don't understand the attraction of flying on an A380, particularly in economy. Compared to smaller aircraft and with potentially 500 - 600 passengers, you get longer queues at check-in, crowded and lengthy boarding procedures as well as getting off the plane, and longer waits at baggage claim. Then there are 500 - 600 people all hitting immigration at the same time. If for some reason you have a flight cancellation, you will have a much more difficult time getting rebooked.

So what exactly is the appeal of flying on an aircraft with so many passengers when there is no difference with seating and on-board service, as compared to flying on a smaller wide-body aircraft, such as an A330, B777 or B787? That is, excluding the added features in business or first, such as the onboard bar and showers on Emirates. I am sure Airbus and the airlines have done some excellent marketing and enjoys passengers' attraction to the A380, as the revenue and profit with a full A380 is nice. But what does it do for the average passenger?

I like the A330 but having never been on an A380 i would like to try it at least once.

Sure, trying a new aircraft just once can be OK. That said, especially if you are in economy, if you are on the same airline with a long haul flight, chances are the seating is identical and the only difference between an A330 and an A380 is there are twice as many people on the A380. Airlines really like that when it is full. I'll take a smaller aircraft and fewer people.

Having flown the B787 a few times, I would have to say that is my favourite. It was definitely the quietest of any aircraft I have flown, and I really could feel the difference by the end of the flight from the higher cabin pressure and humidity. The one drawback is the polarising window shades, which do not get all the way black and there is still significant light coming in when you are trying to sleep. And yes, there are fewer than half as many passengers as the typically configured A380, and that just makes everything easier.

Was on their new A380 last month from LHR to DOH in business, wasn't that impressed with either the seat or service to be honest with you.

Far better seating and service on their 777 IMHO.

Regards

I liked it a lot better than 777. Particularly enjoyed the Bar.

Sure, trying a new aircraft just once can be OK. That said, especially if you are in economy, if you are on the same airline with a long haul flight, chances are the seating is identical and the only difference between an A330 and an A380 is there are twice as many people on the A380. Airlines really like that when it is full. I'll take a smaller aircraft and fewer people.

Having flown the B787 a few times, I would have to say that is my favourite. It was definitely the quietest of any aircraft I have flown, and I really could feel the difference by the end of the flight from the higher cabin pressure and humidity. The one drawback is the polarising window shades, which do not get all the way black and there is still significant light coming in when you are trying to sleep. And yes, there are fewer than half as many passengers as the typically configured A380, and that just makes everything easier.

Totally agree i just flew back on the 787 dreamliner bkk/del/lhr.

Hated the windows but could actually stretch my legs out under the seat in front.

Also only half to two thirds full. So had an empty seat next to me on both legs

Edited by sparkey

380 is a big bird and even in economy class it's an experience you should try at least once.

Why? Because it's big and has more passengers onboard?

because it is super-comfortable, spacious and QUIET. ever been on board of a B-777 in Y class with ten seats squeezed in per row, as it has become common lately (Air France, KLM, Emirates, Etihad, Austrian....)?

This aircraft is meant to have 9 seats per row. compared to that, AirAsia or Ryanair offer business class comfort....

380 is a big bird and even in economy class it's an experience you should try at least once.

Why? Because it's big and has more passengers onboard?

because it is super-comfortable, spacious and QUIET. ever been on board of a B-777 in Y class with ten seats squeezed in per row, as it has become common lately (Air France, KLM, Emirates, Etihad, Austrian....)?

This aircraft is meant to have 9 seats per row. compared to that, AirAsia or Ryanair offer business class comfort....

The number of seats across entirely depends on the airline's choice of configuration, as does the width and pitch. For example, economy in both Thai and Qatar the A380 has ten seats across. Their 777-300s have nine seats across. Seat width and pitch is the same on TG, but on Qatar, the 777 seats are actually a bit wider than those on their A380.

Spacious? Seat pitches and width all depend on the airline's configuration, not the aircraft. Yes, an A380 has more interior space because it has more seats and passengers. Your amount of personal space is the same.

As for comfort, in TG's A380 there are 435 seats in economy with eight lavatories. TG's 777-300 has 330 seats with ten lavatories. On Qatar's A380, there are only seven lavatories for 461 economy passengers, while their 777-300 has six lavatories for 293 passengers. But the A380 is big, so if you are waiting urgently for the toilet, there is more aisle space to pace around until the queue gets shorter.