What seems to be bother immigration?

maureeses

What is it that bothers them so much when they face someone who wants to continue their stay in Thailand? Is it the many number of months already spent in Thailand that bothers them, or is it the continuing back-to-back tourists visa runs/visa exempt border runs with no gaps between trips? Is it people not getting overpriced extensions where proceeds might funnel their way? I understand that they get suspicious of people who they think are working illegally. But let's just say that this is not the case, why so many restrictions?

Edited by maureeses
  • Like 1

They could be bothered by a few things. They might be OK with people coming for a holiday or working for a spell and then buggering off i.e. Thailand for the Thais. They might be upset that some people are using the countries fascilities for months/years without paying the taxes they themselves have to cough up. Could be orders from above where people are concerned with uncontrolled long stay visitors in Thailand who could be up to ???.

Just some thoughts since you asked. Don't think I endorse these imagined concerns!

It could also be your boat race... ;-)

This is a damn good posting. Why, aside from the many comments which will follow that belong in the "pub" section, do they? I believe yes. Maybe roadblocks offer easy ways to initiate bribes/return favors/unofficial fees, etc. I think it deeper than that. My best posit: Its a psychological based need to 'fight back' against the more powerful (affluent) in most cases. Another was said, "a face builder", as opposed to losing face.

Not convinced that knowing or believing my assumption does anything to correcting the issue, nor making us feel any better. just sayin

You are looking at this from the wrong perspective.

They need to maintain authority. They do this by scolding and berating "supplicants" for supposed failings. Other techniques involve glaring, making people wait hours and hours, capricious decisions and basically making you feel like a criminal.

The dept. is irrelevant. I get the same thing in the Land Transport Dept. in the Driving Licence Section (name of office withheld). She gives it out to the Thais too. If a civil servant is too pleasant, accommodating or friendly, they lose authority. Teachers, police they all do it.

There is a range of behaviour, most are within acceptable range, most of the time, some, all of the time, a few, hardly ever.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 2

Maybe they don't like digital nomads who don't even have the budget to fly out of the country for a border run ? Maybe they think that all you digital nomads who claim to make so much should look at the PE or Elite option ?

Don't know who you are but like your thinking :D

• Like 1

Maybe they don't like digital nomads who don't even have the budget to fly out of the country for a border run ? Maybe they think that all you digital nomads who claim to make so much should look at the PE or Elite option ?

Finger on the pulse.

• Like 2

They said it repeatedly : They want "better" tourists.

And "better" in Thailand means more money.

They don't want everybody out, just the poor.

If you throw half a million Bahts to immigration for Thai Elite visa,they WILL LOVE YOU

xenophobia is the first thing that I think of and all the other reasons I am not allowed to write on TV.

Actually xenophobia is featured regularly on Thai Visa ... in messages just like yours, or worse ... so you should have no fear of fitting in.

It's your first time living some place where you aren't in one majority or the other, isn't it? Now you imagine that Thais view you the same way you felt about foreigners in your country. It seems even though you're most likely living a highly privileged existence compared to most Thais, you feel you're being discriminated against. The notion of entitlement boggles the mind.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Never done an honest days work in their life these so called 'digital nomads', who do they think they are coming to our country and sleeping with our prostitutes. Take your ideas, entrepreneurship and healthy disposable income elsewhere. I've been here for 65 years, etc, etc.

• Like 2

Never done an honest days work in their life these so called 'digital nomads', who do they think they are coming to our country and sleeping with our prostitutes. Take your ideas, entrepreneurship and healthy disposable income elsewhere. I've been here for 65 years, etc, etc.

clap2.gif Very much got a finger on the pulse there, buddy.

The people at the immigration office are law enforcement officials -- they don't make the rules. Perhaps it just "seems to bother them" to encounter so many foreigners who don't want to follow the rules they're suppose to enforce and also act like they have an entitlement to ignore them.

Does it "seem to bother" cops in your country when people break laws they're suppose to be enforcing?

Immigration officers don't make the rules?? Why is it then that some IOs allow this and some don't, and some allow that and some don't, or is it each individual IOs boss who makes the rules?

• Like 1

i can tell you straight from decades here , I have NEVER met a friendly or helpful THAI IO ANYWHERE in thailand or on its borders (hop over to Malaysia on the land border and you see the difference in only 3 minutes)...some possibly have, but not myself.

basic simple IMMIGRATION questions or requirements (go ask for a check list for any extension and see when reply you get whistling.gif ) are just too much for them to be friendly and polite (they are public servants...but expats are not include even as a BOI company director blink.png )

one time i witnessed a guy thrown out of Swampy immigration line becauise his pen rolled over and fell on the IO hand......IO screamed at the guy put his hand straight up (call sign to police) and within 2 minutes 3 police were taking the guy outside of the airport bah.gif

i can tell you straight from decades here , I have NEVER met a friendly or helpful THAI IO ANYWHERE in thailand or on its borders (hop over to Malaysia on the land border and you see the difference in only 3 minutes)...some possibly have, but not myself.

basic simple IMMIGRATION questions or requirements (go ask for a check list for any extension and see when reply you get whistling.gif ) are just too much for them to be friendly and polite (they are public servants...but expats are not include even as a BOI company director blink.png )

one time i witnessed a guy thrown out of Swampy immigration line becauise his pen rolled over and fell on the IO hand......IO screamed at the guy put his hand straight up (call sign to police) and within 2 minutes 3 police were taking the guy outside of the airport bah.gif

Well up in Nakhon Sawan where I do my immigration business the front office staff are all women and I have yet to meet a nicer team. Most speak some English and they are farang friendly, polite and can take and give a joke.

There have been several threads about Immigration offices and N/S has always been good from the start.

• Like 1