Thailand - It's time that we get serious about pedestrian crossings

webfact

My most harrowing moment of the day is crossing the clearly marked zebra crossing at a T-intersection on Suriwong. Harrowing because the outer lane traffic never stops, so I'm left to nudge out into the center of two lanes in front of idling traffic waiting to make a right hand turn. Eff me, it's a pain. There's a pedestrian light, but it doesn't work. I'm sure it's not even connected to a power source because it's never on. There's a stupid BIB booth, but I've never seen anyone in it. Occasionally, a BIB on a motorbike shows up, but he never leaves his bike. But of course, there's a private uniformed traffic guard just a few meters up the road once past this intersection making sure everyone gets into the AIA building safely. What a crock of shit.

They put in crosswalk, with signals, flashing lights etc near my condo Jomtien 2nd road about a month ago. Has run for perhaps 5 days total (perhaps that is a good thing?). One time it was working thought I'd try it out. I'd say perhaps 50% of cars stopped. Only takes 1% to kill you.... I think Thai drivers would rather give up their mia nois than apply foot to brake pedal, especially when it is one of those obviously poor people (anyone who walks must be loso). Size is all that matters, and nothing smaller on the road than a pedestrian.

How many rear end collisions at the crosswalk? I'd expect several of the non-stopping drivers had the thought it was better to run the light than to get rear ended.

why doesnt Thailand introduce TV public information film clips during the soaps in order to educate drivers??

The majority of Thai drivers and M/C riders will just do what they like despite any attempt to educate them, all the fines and suspensions will not work, they won't pay the fines and will still drive or ride if suspended, only one thing may, I say may, work is confiscating their vehicles.

Just imagine automatic confiscation of M/Cs whose riders are caught riding on the sidewalks. After the first few confiscations, the sidewalks would all be clear.

They put in crosswalk, with signals, flashing lights etc near my condo Jomtien 2nd road about a month ago. Has run for perhaps 5 days total (perhaps that is a good thing?). One time it was working thought I'd try it out. I'd say perhaps 50% of cars stopped. Only takes 1% to kill you.... I think Thai drivers would rather give up their mia nois than apply foot to brake pedal, especially when it is one of those obviously poor people (anyone who walks must be loso). Size is all that matters, and nothing smaller on the road than a pedestrian.

What about dogs and cats?

campaigns should be launched to inculcate a respect for traffic discipline and care for other road users.”

How about checking to see if they are competent drivers in the first place by having a half decent driving test in Thailand?blink.png

Would not make any difference.

Basically, if theres nothing crossing your path (ie another vehicle) then thais WILL NOT stop for a red light as they know better than some stupid idea a farang invented.

Theres something different about green lights tho. When the green comes on they sit there wondering what it means for 5-10 seconds before crawling off just before it changes back to red.....which the following 10 cars ignore

In Songkhla there is one traffic light that turns green and later gives a green right turn arrow when on comming traffic has a red light. over half of the motorbike and car drivers will not turn right on the green light, even when nothing is comming from the opposite direction, rather they wait for the green arrow. Yet many, especially motorscooters, will turn right on the red light at this same intersection when there is no opposing traffic. go figure!!! I might add that the drivers in the city of Songkhla have the most blatant disregard of traffic laws compaired to other cities I have visited in Thailand. And don't even think of stopping for someone in the crosswalk because you are setting the pedestrian up to be ran over by passing cars in other lanes who refuse to be bothered with stopping. And where are the police? Nowhere to be found except once a month when they set up the roadside checks.

It would also be a good idea if they painted the SPEED BUMPS (Sleeping Policemen as we call them in the West), YELLOW and BLACK as they do in other countries rather than Black and White as they do here thus distinguishing them from the Pedestrian Crossings. But, as others insinuate here, WHY BOTHER!

There should never be "sleeping policemen" in any road in any country, as they hinder emergency vehicles which are trying to save peoples lifes. The simplest thing to do in any country is confiscate any vehicle whose driver is judged to be more than say 75% to blame for anyone being killed on the road.

If the vehicle does not belong to them, too bad.

It would also be a good idea if they painted the SPEED BUMPS (Sleeping Policemen as we call them in the West), YELLOW and BLACK as they do in other countries rather than Black and White as they do here thus distinguishing them from the Pedestrian Crossings. But, as others insinuate here, WHY BOTHER!

I say raise the height of speed bumps another six inches or more!

What if one of your family is in an ambulance going to the hospital in a life or death situation?

In Chiang Rai, where I reside, I stop to let people cross, whether they're waiting at a crosswalk or not. Sometimes I have to do a quick blip of a honk (on my car horn), because Thais are often not even aware that some might stop. Even when they then cross, they need to look carefully, because motorbikes in particular (but sometimes even cars) will want to pass my stopped car. However, it might be catching on, or maybe northerners are just nicer people (we have a lot less crime up here than central and southern regions). I've noticed local drivers slowing and even stopping once in awhile, whereas months/years earlier they wouldn't.

Another related problem, everywhere in Thailand: At busy markets, with many people milling about, motorbikes will come charging through. Some drivers drive as fast as they can, and seem to get some glee at forcing people to react. I've noticed it at Burmese markets also (more so at tourist markets, than at local markets). What a great past-time: riding fast thru tourist markets, to remind tourists they're in Asia, and therefore can't relax while shopping.

What about motor cyclists actually riding in the market who are too lazy to leave their bikes outside and walk. All it takes is a bike going very slow in a busy market and somebody bumping the bike making the rider accidently accelerate. I bet this has happened lots of times all over Thailand, and nobody hears about it.

There are plenty of zebra-crossings in Bangkok but nobody knows what they mean.

Just go to Europe and look how EVERYBODY obeys the traffic-rules and just copy copy that. That's what Thai are good at so just do it! Also tell the trafficpolice to do their job and give them a bonus for every offender they catch (maybe then they come out of their aircon houses).

That is seriously the problem.

Near me on Arun AmarinRd there is a pedestrian crossing on the slip road that comes from Siriat hospital.

Opposite that is the Police hut. In the morning and the afternoon a large number of students use this

crossing. They mostly have to wait for minutes to cross and then dangerously force the motorists to stop.

As someone else said the motorists in the 2nd line don't always stop.

It just needs one cop to get out of the house and man the crossing for 2 hours in the morning and afternoon.

He would reap 1,000s of Baht in fines for each hour.

"In civilised countries like the United States"

Must.... resist.... commenting....

Go ahead, comment. What's stopping you? In relation to the topic at hand, car drivers' behavior at a cross walk, the US is incredibly more civilized than Thailand. Hit a person in a crosswalk in the US and be prepared to pay the consequences. Ask any SE Asian who has been to the US and they are shocked at how orderly the roads are. Cars stop for pedestrians in city cross walks, even on right on red intersections. Thais would be shocked that when an officer calls a driver over to the curb after a moving violation, the offender usually obeys. Hit and runs are not as common in the US as in Thailand. How many daily Thai news stories are there where some jerk-off hits someone and then speeds off. "Oh, solly...mai pen rai."

• Like 1

Recently I was in a car being driven by a very nice, considerate, well-educated Thai friend. When she failed to stop at a zebra crossing where there were people waiting to cross the road, I reprimanded her. She told me that she had no idea that she was required to stop and that she relied on the Thai method of making eye contact with the pedestrians to communicate their intentions to one another. I told her that she is required by law to stop, so now she does, at least when I'm in the car. She told me that she stops now because she's afraid of what I will say if she doesn't. I guess that's progress - of sorts.

Anyway, if you ask me, the only solution to this problem is the Thai solution: Have a campaign to make this law widely known to drivers - then let the police keep the fines they collect from drivers who violate this law. I'd love to see this law being enforced, even if the police keep the fines. It's much better than them fining people for imaginary offenses that don't endanger the lives of others, as this infraction does.

"According to Thai law, drivers are liable to a maximum fine of Bt1,000 if they fail to stop their vehicles for pedestrians at marked crossings. In the events of a road accident taking place, drivers involved must compensate victims or their families. In the case of death, reckless drivers are liable to up to 10 years in jail and a fine of up to Bt20,000.

In the event of serious injuries, reckless drivers are liable to up to three years in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt6,000."

Therein lies the problem. Any Thai I know can get access to 20,000 Baht. Forget the fines.... jail them accordingly.

In the West, there are no fines for injuring or killing people on a Zebra crossing or similar. It is manslaughter or driving without due care and attention.

In Thailand... sorry....... forget the latter 2 points made - phone comes first.

129 million on crossings in Pattaya? better to have spent it on hospital care for the victims. The words that come to mind are selfish morons, even the Police ignore a red light! We have this system near us in Bkk, same same.

Edited by jacky54

ExPratt, on 23 Dec 2014 - 09:03, said:

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Thian, on 23 Dec 2014 - 09:00, said:

There are plenty of zebra-crossings in Bangkok but nobody knows what they mean.

Just go to Europe and look how EVERYBODY obeys the traffic-rules and just copy copy that. That's what Thai are good at so just do it! Also tell the trafficpolice to do their job and give them a bonus for every offender they catch (maybe then they come out of their aircon houses).

My missus was intrigued by Pedestrian crossings when we first went to London, so much so that she would press the button every time she crossed the road , even when there was no traffic , which I'm sure impressed the drivers stuck at red lights with no one crossing the road

I'm guessing, from what you say, the pedestrian light was, to start with, red... Your missus did the right thing, why are you making a joke of her. Red light for pedestrians mean exactly the same as a red light for cars... the decision is not yours.

Great idea and a very sad story to read about,

but it all too common here that this happen's.

I tried crossing that same intersection last friday,

and it is a death tra, even with the controlled crossing light's.

Driver's just don't give a shit, because they have a nice big strong

steel car body to protect them. Their going to just keep doing

the same crap over and over and over, until it happen's to

one of their family member's , and then it's too late.

Enforce the driving law's across the entire country

but that makes too much sense, which the thai's dont have.

"Regardless of what is written in law, pedestrians in practice do not really have the right of way at these crossings."

Says it all.

"Many have been overheard saying that if their vehicles hit a victim,

they would prefer to see the casualty dead rather than injured, because a dead person wouldn't be able to complain or seek justice in the courts."

Thais on one of the islands told me if you hit someone make sure they are dead.

They told me tales of drivers reversing back over the body to be sure. So they wouldn't have to pay. wai2.gif wai.gif

"In civilised countries like the United States..."

The operative word: Civilised.

Edited by iReason

'... drivers are liable to a maximum fine of Bt1,000 if they fail to stop their vehicles for pedestrians at marked crossings ...' While this is Thailand's version of a penalty system, you might as well forget serious. Add in the shakily stretched arm of the law, and the fact that in most countries, the majority of Thai drivers wouldn't gain a licence to drive a pedal car, and here we have hope springing eternal.