Thailand - It's time that we get serious about pedestrian crossings

webfact

what can one say? its as the saying go's." TELL ME THE OLD OLD STORY"

once again a beautyfull lady's life taken away by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

and her husbands life in ruin.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get serious about pedestrian crossings ?

Just add it to a very long list.

Just getting serious is a major talking point in itself.

Can we expect an official announcement of an imminent crackdown, blitz or purge ?

My missus also couldn't believe that cardrivers stopped for her while crossing a street. Even without a zebra they stop just because we don't make any difference between eachother wether you travel by feet/car/bicycle.

Thai who can afford a car still feel far superior and don't give a dime about other roadusers. That's not buddha-style at all but hey go tell them.wai2.gif

• Like 2

There is NO RULE OF LAW in lawless Thailand. Laws???? lol Seriously??? OH PLEASE. Why doesn't Thailand admit it. Anything goes and especially for those who have money or power.

clap2.gif Laws, especially for traffic, seem to be that vague requirement for others to obey.

• Like 2

They put in crosswalk, with signals, flashing lights etc near my condo Jomtien 2nd road about a month ago. Has run for perhaps 5 days total (perhaps that is a good thing?). One time it was working thought I'd try it out. I'd say perhaps 50% of cars stopped. Only takes 1% to kill you.... I think Thai drivers would rather give up their mia nois than apply foot to brake pedal, especially when it is one of those obviously poor people (anyone who walks must be loso). Size is all that matters, and nothing smaller on the road than a pedestrian.

• Like 1

In the villaparks i see Thai family's going for a walk and their children are free to run whereever they like, even onto the road where cars are driving fast. It is not done to correct children and teach them to walk on the paths/pavement.

Pavement sucks anyway because it was made by......Also there they don't dare to correct the builders/designers.

Better have accidents then correcting eachother...thumbsup.gif

A marked pedestrian crossing, light-controlled or not, means only one thing to me: Cross at your own risk - Street Survival 101. Never assume that the brakes on a vehicle are going to work when they are needed, for any number of reasons. Never put yourself into a situation where there is even a remote possibility that you could be hit whether walking or operating a vehicle. Even with these precautions, there is always Murphy's Law.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

why doesnt Thailand introduce TV public information film clips during the soaps in order to educate drivers??

There is almost nothing like this. I did find a film or two on Youtube when I was trying to explain to our granddaughter what can happen if you don't wear a safety belt. (Thai road safety ad). We keep hearing about laws being enforced but prevention doesn't seem to be part of the Thai way of thinking. (Planning ahead).

I used to make a point of taking her down the road to the pedestrian crossing to cross over into school but no longer bother. Very difficult to get there as the restaurant owners seem to object to people walking by their shops. And then there will always be a car parked on the crossing. The policeman and the school crossing supervisor plus the girl that opens the doors of the buses that arrive and stop on the crossing seem to find it normal that I have to walk around cars and buses, and that the moving traffic cuts off my path while I am trying to navigate my way across.

Nowadays I just walk across where there is a central reservation, it's safer.

My wife was very impressed with Switzerland where cars actually stop at crossings when you show signs of wanting to cross. her daughter doesn't believe her!

Edited by cooked
  • Like 1

Basically, if theres nothing crossing your path (ie another vehicle) then thais WILL NOT stop for a red light as they know better than some stupid idea a farang invented.

Theres something different about green lights tho. When the green comes on they sit there wondering what it means for 5-10 seconds before crawling off just before it changes back to red.....which the following 10 cars ignore

• Like 1

Incorporate all of these "safety messages" into the Thai "soaps" and it might get through to a few ... maybe ...

Of course, enforcement of existing laws is a given, but until such time as they Police do the jobs they are paid to do rather than feathering their own nests, when you're out on the streets/pavements, you're on your own.

I have just returned from Japan, even narrow single lane pedestrian crossings have lights, both motorists and pedestrians wait for them to change before making a move. Having lived in Thailand for many years,I was impressed by the way people waited for the lights to change in their favor, there would be many people waiting either side of the road that was showing a red pedestrian light, even though the road was clear of traffic. This is called discipline, and due respect for others, I am afraid until both Thais and Foreigners here are taught this, nothing will change.

• Like 1