Razors

Soi Sauce

Hallo,

I have happily been using a Gillette Sensor for around 14 years to shave both my face and head. .

Recently, however,not only has a pack of blades increased by 30%, they also seem to have lost their longevity.

I used to be able to shave my face and head for at least 3 weeks with one blade. I shave my face once a day, and my head every two days.

In the last few months, however, one blade is now good for only one shave of the head, so I am going through them at the rate of one blade every two days. so it's costing around 1,000baht a week to keep my dome chromed!

I doubt my hair has suddenly turned to wire, so can anyone give me an explanation for both this dramatic fall in quality, and the massive price increase.

Also, if anyone can suggest a decent alternative, I'd be very grateful to hear about it. I've heard about Indian Ceramic Razors, but have not got a clue where to buy one.

Thanks for any help.

Just got back to the States.

Didn't shave the last three months in Thailand because I finally ran out of blades (I bought over to LOS) after the fourth years, and I quickly got tired of paying 540 baht for three Gillette Fusion blades. That's 180 baht each. After five years in Thailand, they also seemed to last a shorter time. One blade would go dull within five shaves.

Went to Costco here in Utah (like Makro) and bought a 28 pack for $41. That's 35 baht each --- 20% of the cost in LOS!

And here, they last as long as they used to. Been a month and I have used the first blade about 15 times. Still sharp.

Sorry I don't have an answer, other than mailing some. They are quite lightweight.

I want to ditch the disposables all together and go old fashion straight.... If I could find a complete set with brush, soap, and oil, I'd buy it and start doing it that way. I hate trying to look for the disposables in the stores and seeing the prices increase every few months.

If anyone knows where to buy the high quality straight razors, please PM me. I don't want to hijack the thread.

Edited by FireMedic

Just got back to the States.

Didn't shave the last three months in Thailand because I finally ran out of blades (I bought over to LOS) after the fourth years, and I quickly got tired of paying 540 baht for three Gillette Fusion blades. That's 180 baht each. After five years in Thailand, they also seemed to last a shorter time. One blade would go dull within five shaves.

Went to Costco here in Utah (like Makro) and bought a 28 pack for $41. That's 35 baht each --- 20% of the cost in LOS!

And here, they last as long as they used to. Been a month and I have used the first blade about 15 times. Still sharp.

Sorry I don't have an answer, other than mailing some. They are quite lightweight.

I can generally use a Gilette Fusion blade for a couple of months though towards the end it can feel it scrape a bit.

Once in my life a long time ago I bought an open cut throat razor like these but only a single blade and a leather strop.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cutthroat+razor&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=27718876861&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3366457947682564017&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_4m030kurly_b

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Mach 3 Turbo

quality /price ???

Quality is very good. I have no idea how much they cost , they just go on the missus whopping bill every couple of months

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Mach 3 Turbo

quality /price ???

Quality is very good. I have no idea how much they cost , they just go on the missus whopping bill every couple of months

is that whopping or whippingtongue.png

Mach 3 Turbo

quality /price ???

is that whopping or whipping alt=tongue.png>

Shopping actually , I couldn't be arsed to edit it

I switched to Schick Quattro....199 thb for the razor plus two cartridges then 259 thb for 4 cartridges thereafter. I shave daily and my head about once every three days and each lasts me 10-14 days. Think I bought it at Boots.

Edited by Diplomatico

Its the same as any other product cheapen it to make you buy more. Its the same in all products sold. Product size is down sized for the same money. We buy a small bag of fruit every night and notice the size of the bag getting smaller and smaller. Finally we bought the whole fruit and cut it up ourselves. Stuff packed in bags the bags are half empty. Its a stealth fighter attack on your wallet and mine.

Its the same as any other product cheapen it to make you buy more. Its the same in all products sold. Product size is down sized for the same money. We buy a small bag of fruit every night and notice the size of the bag getting smaller and smaller. Finally we bought the whole fruit and cut it up ourselves. Stuff packed in bags the bags are half empty. Its a stealth fighter attack on your wallet and mine.

Awesome. So - to summarize - if one wants to save money on razors, one should purchase a small bag of fruit? And then cut it up?

Edited by Diplomatico

Problem SOLVED!

I've been using a brand called, "SHAVEY" only seem to be available at Tesco Lotus they are made in South Korea, they have SIX Blades and I'm getting at least 1 MONTH out of every razor. They come in packs of TWO and I think I paid about 90....something Baht per pack when I bought a heap of them a few months ago.

So impressed, I've even sent some to mates overseas. Just hope this Publicity doesn't encourage a Rush and a PRICE RISE!

Awesome. So - to summarize - if one wants to save money on razors, one should purchase a small bag of fruit? And then cut it up?

YES..... using your RAZOR!

Also use Mach 3 Turbo, but the prices keep going up.......... now something like 640 baht for 5 blades....

Found Mach 3 Turbo disposable razors pack of 5 for [Promotion] 199 baht.. so far appear good and way cheaper. noticed last week in Big C now pack of 3 were 199 baht.

Also for past 6 months have not used shaving foam, use hair shampoo works just as well if not better..

As for straight razors, used to have a high quality one, the soap ran out about the same time as the brush broke, never found a replacement here..

As for straight razors you can buy from Mom & Pop stores very cheap, 3 different coloured handles no idea what the difference is.. Say's 'Sdoll' Simple Razor only ever use the Orange handle ones, just looked in bathroom still have 3 new ones and price on them say 8 baht..

Well maybe he shaves off peach fuzz?

• 4 weeks later...

Switched to Schtick Quattro and am using ignis's shampoo tip for foam. The shampoo works well on my face but not my head so still using gel for that.

Looks like overall savings on Gillette and foam will be about 1,500 per month.

Thanks all for all your help, and goodbye Gillette.

Sharpen Your Multi-Blade Shaving Razor with Denim Jeans

Check out this video on YouTube:

Guess the links not copy ? But you can do a search on YouTube and find the many ways to keep disposable blades sharp and lazing long time . This changed much for me .

Edited by Lumbini

I know i will stir up some comments but I have no problem at all to use my razor for at least a month this said it includes a weekly shave of my head and a daily beard shave in the morning - I have perfect skin never a rush or pimple nor any injuries

I know i will stir up some comments but I have no problem at all to use my razor for at least a month this said it includes a weekly shave of my head and a daily beard shave in the morning - I have perfect skin never a rush or pimple nor any injuries

Likewise the skin, the problem was that gillette blades now seem to last 25% as long as they did 6 months ago.

Gillette Sensor 3 works fine for me. Pretty cheap too. No need for fancy shaving foam/gels either...a Dove soap bar works fine.

Rinse the blades with alcohol after shaving to remove all hairs and face oils/gunk and to sterilize them.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

My first Schtick Quatro blade lasted 2 weeks. Also, they were on a Special in Lotus at 78 baht for 4. Bought 24.

Combine this with the cost of the razor, 199 baht with 2 blades, I've got a year's worth of shaving materials for less than the cost of about 2 or 3 weeks using Gillette products.

I'd recommend anyone to change to schtick. It is a very good shave, and a massive save.

My first Schtick Quatro blade lasted 2 weeks. Also, they were on a Special in Lotus at 78 baht for 4. Bought 24.

Combine this with the cost of the razor, 199 baht with 2 blades, I've got a year's worth of shaving materials for less than the cost of about 2 or 3 weeks using Gillette products.

I'd recommend anyone to change to schtick. It is a very good shave, and a massive save.

I also switched, but to Schick Hydro 5, (blows the Quattro out of the water) very good for a heavy beard and shaving your head. Problem is I don't think you can buy the razor or the blades in Thailand. Quite inexpensive in HK though.

I also switched, but to Schick Hydro 5, (blows the Quattro out of the water) very good for a heavy beard and shaving your head. Problem is I don't think you can buy the razor or the blades in Thailand. Quite inexpensive in HK though.

I used the Hydro 3 before I moved to Thailand; the Hydro 5 was too bulky with the extra blades and I couldn't shave everything off between my nose and upper lip due to the bulk. I checked for any sort of Hydro blades when I arrived and haven't seen them yet....hence my own switch to the Quattro.

I just got back from the Tesco near me and they had GILLETTE MACH 3 TURBO...2cart. Package for 66b.......I had to have rhe gf check the price. ....also the Tesco brand 3blades 4 cartridges for 81 b........way cheap. I bought what they had left.