Obtaining a Thai driving license

padsterj

I thought id put this up as I'm doing it now smile.png I'm from UK and here on a none "O" Visa married to a Thai.

Firstly you need to have an international driving permit.Then doctors certificate this one is easy to get take passport go to any doctors, they listen to you breath and then get you to hold your arms out and try to push them down takes 10 mins cost 80 baht.

next you need letter of residency this one can be a pain in the ass,I've read on here that you need to go to immigration and they will do it for 500 baht I was told this at the land transport office,(where you get license) I tried this in Bangkok and they said no, have to go to your embassy sad.png this may just be a Bangkok thing as I know of others that have done it in Korat and various other citys. So off I trot there only to find out you have to go between 10-11 am so next day (today) I went, needed documents were passport and house book and photo copy of passport and house book, 2 short forms have to be filled out whilst there,now the house book (condo) is in my wifes name this didn't matter,the forms are easy, name passport number and address, also it asked about income but I left that blank as I didn't see it been relevant (maybe a duel use form) then the big shock, the cost 3080 baht for a letter ! Now if I had known this I would have drove to Korat where I have a house and used immigration there for the letter,too late now sad.png

next step we had to go to Immigration to get the letter translated this cost 400 baht whilst still at immigration we now had to get the translated letter officially stamped this cost 400 baht and on top of that it takes 2 days so I have to return on Thursday to pick it up then off to land transport office to attempt getting the licenses (car motor cycle)also spent about 2000 baht in taxis.I'll update further on Thursday when I've been to try and get the licenses so check the thread up to now nobody has asked to see my visa smile.png

Edited by padsterj
  • Like 1

residence certificate is 300b for a copy and 500b for two.

The own country driving license translation and certification is expensive.

I have italian driving license but i preferred studying 30 min thai signs and doing the tests. 3 Errors out of 50 questions. Some are badly translated, just ask the teacher to explain you the question and you are done.

The only dramatic part is you have to loose 4 hours watching a safety videos.

I'm also from the UK and married to a Thai on a Non-Immigrant Visa, and obtained a Thai Driving License in Bangkok a few years ago just using my Yellow Tabian Bahn book. No requirement to get a residence letter from the Embassy. Mind you, a Thai national helped me navigate the system getting the license.

I gave it a go yesterday as well. It was pretty much the same story, except that the land transport boss insisted that my IDP issued in Guildford Surrey was a fake and she wouldn't accept it. She would however accept my English license and no need for a medical.

The crux was the residence letter. We went to immigration in Bangkok and they refused to issue the letter unless I also renewed my visa. I'm 2 months in on a multiple entry non-imm O visa and due for an out of country at the end of January. The officer in charge said the time was too short to issue a residence letter unless I extended the visa at the same time ... or came back in February.

Correct about the UK embassy at 3080 baht for the letter. When I rang them yesterday they couldn't make heads nor tails of the demand for a letter of Thai residence from a foreign embassy. After checking with the legal bods they told me to come in with my passport and 3080 baht between 8:00 and 11:00 to get the letter done.

Officials in this country make up their own rules as they feel like it. Your up against some real idiots sometimes, yet sometimes they are pleasant. Really in the USA, you have idiot officials too, but at least you can argue your case with real rules.

well everything I've have wrote has happened in the last few days, it seems Thailand makes its rules up as it goes along it seems very dependent on who is sat at the desks,my wife also came with me and did much of the talking even she was not happy been told by the transport office that we can get letter from immigration, she said why they lie to me I just laughed and said this is Thailand lol. I wouldnt mind but we purposely went to the driving license office first to make sure we knew exactly what we need and where to go, expecting to be told the right info :(

I guess you never talked to anyone before you attempted to get your license . You don't need an international license just go to a doctor tell them you need a certificate for a drivers license 100 baht , if you are renting get a copy of the landlords ID,dated and signed confirming that they are your landlord ( not sure what to do if you own your own house ) ,passport copies along with photos and take them to immigration who will then issue you a letter to take to the transport office allowing you to get a license 400 baht . Take the letter along with copies of previous documents to transport office sit through 2 hrs of lecture all in thai ,complete a written test then take them practical test . If you are getting both motorbike and car in the same day you need to double up on all documentation and sit the written test twice once passed back inside get your photo taken and walk out with your new 1 year temporary license(s). Well that's how I obtained mine about a year and half ago completed in 1 day . Best thing I ever did in thailand now I never ever carry my passport have been stopped 30-35 times at least by both army and police and just waved on apart from the helmet checks when not wearing a helmet . The license has your passport number on it . I've booked hotel rooms ,cruises ,plane tickets ect ect using the license for ID and it has always been accepted .

• Like 1

I guess you never talked to anyone before you attempted to get your license . You don't need an international license just go to a doctor tell them you need a certificate for a drivers license 100 baht , if you are renting get a copy of the landlords ID,dated and signed confirming that they are your landlord ( not sure what to do if you own your own house ) ,passport copies along with photos and take them to immigration who will then issue you a letter to take to the transport office allowing you to get a license 400 baht . Take the letter along with copies of previous documents to transport office sit through 2 hrs of lecture all in thai ,complete a written test then take them practical test . If you are getting both motorbike and car in the same day you need to double up on all documentation and sit the written test twice once passed back inside get your photo taken and walk out with your new 1 year temporary license(s). Well that's how I obtained mine about a year and half ago completed in 1 day . Best thing I ever did in thailand now I never ever carry my passport have been stopped 30-35 times at least by both army and police and just waved on apart from the helmet checks when not wearing a helmet . The license has your passport number on it . I've booked hotel rooms ,cruises ,plane tickets ect ect using the license for ID and it has always been accepted .

see post above :) and I maybe should have wrote in my first post getting licenses without sitting a test :)

I went through exactly the same thing. 3080 baht for 5 minutes of their time and a whole load of inconvenience to you (because of the embassy opening hours) is a complete let down IMHO. If you want 2 copies for a motorbike license as well, you have to pay exactly double !!.

You can't get the certificate from the immigration police if you never did 90 day reporting. Something nobody tells you until you've spent an hour or two in traffic to get there.

Basically, if you are on 90 day tourist visas then this route is your only option.

When you go for a license, don't go on the day when they are doing the testing. It's complete chaos with people milling around everywhere while they wait.

I got an International Drivers Permit before I went which has motorbike stamped as well. I got a Thai car license (mainly for ID) and use the IDP for motorbikes. Saves risking my passport.

• Like 1

I went to jomtien to get residency letter..30 mins..300bt. Went to traffic office with 60 day tourist visa and my ragged old UK pink licence with no photo from the 80's. Looked at 3 dots...pushed a brake pedal and pushed a button when 2 sticks lined up. 2 hours later i have a car and bike licence.

Edited by TomYumpoochai
  • Like 1

I went through exactly the same thing. 3080 baht for 5 minutes of their time and a whole load of inconvenience to you (because of the embassy opening hours) is a complete let down IMHO. If you want 2 copies for a motorbike license as well, you have to pay exactly double !!.

You can't get the certificate from the immigration police if you never did 90 day reporting. Something nobody tells you until you've spent an hour or two in traffic to get there.

Basically, if you are on 90 day tourist visas then this route is your only option.

When you go for a license, don't go on the day when they are doing the testing. It's complete chaos with people milling around everywhere while they wait.

I got an International Drivers Permit before I went which has motorbike stamped as well. I got a Thai car license (mainly for ID) and use the IDP for motorbikes. Saves risking my passport.

So I need 2 letters for both licences lol, why on earth cant they photo copy the 1 I give them as I'm apply for both at same time <deleted>, is there no common sense in this country or do they just like messing foreigners around, im not paying another 3000+ baht to go back to embassy to get another then another 1000 + baht to get it translated and stamped and wait another 2 days to pick it up, I'll try to get both with 1 letter, if not looks like i'll be becoming more Thai than I expected by riding motorcycles without a license.

OP, I am not sure exactly where you live but I do know you have to obtain the letter of residence from the same immigration office that you do your 90 day reports to. I got one at immigration in Bangkok around 6 months ago but I live in Bangkok also and do my 90 day reports at that office by mail. I thought I would just mention this in case that was your problem and you didn't understand the immigration officer.

For US citizens:

1. Affidavit of Thai Driver’s License (PDF 40KB) executed at the U.S. Embassy. Thai officials usually call this an Affidavit of Residence.
  2. U.S. passport, including a photo copy of the main page and the Thai visa page
  3. Medical Report (you may obtain at any hospital or clinic for the purpose of a driver’s license)
  4. Valid State / International driver’s license
    ** if you do not have a valid license, you may have to take a driving course and test
  5. Two photos (size 1 x 1 inch)
  6. 105.00 Baht fee

This from the US Embassy site @ http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/driving_in_thailand.html

Did #1 today. Took about an hour and cost: 1,650THB (must make an appt, no walk-ins) That's about $50!

Will post results on the rest when complete.

Edited by Lex Talionis

Why do I need a damn Thai driving License? I have a German one.

you'll find out if you have a bump :) if you dont have an international driving permit to drive here technically/legally you dont have insurance or driving license unless of course you hold a Thai license, now I for one wouldnt want to find out the hard way weather or not this would be the out come if I did have a bump, or worse.

you'll find out if you have a bump smile.png if you dont have an international driving permit to drive here technically/legally you dont have insurance or driving license unless of course you hold a Thai license, now I for one wouldnt want to find out the hard way weather or not this would be the out come if I did have a bump, or worse.

In Thailand, if you have a bump and you are a farang, you are guilty no matter what kind of license you carry with you.

Oh I have been so lucky hearing all the posts above. Oh I mean reading the posts above.

My first license here was a hassle but my wife convinced some Thai official to get me the first year.

The next one for 5 years was easy and now am on my second 5 years.

My home license has always been current and this is pretty much accepted so that must be my win.

As well I am over my justice thing of not paying for coffee here and there because life is so much easier.

Regards

You need to find a 'better' doctor .. I forgot my certificate and ran around town at 10.30 pm until I stumbled upon a witch doctors clinic who asked "so, do you feel ok ? your not sick or anything..no, that's great! 100b please"

It cost the missus 50b.

Edited by recom273

residence certificate is 300b for a copy and 500b for two.

The own country driving license translation and certification is expensive.

I have italian driving license but i preferred studying 30 min thai signs and doing the tests. 3 Errors out of 50 questions. Some are badly translated, just ask the teacher to explain you the question and you are done.

The only dramatic part is you have to loose 4 hours watching a safety videos.

Residence certs are free. Some underhanded Imm officers make you pay.

I gave it a go yesterday as well. It was pretty much the same story, except that the land transport boss insisted that my IDP issued in Guildford Surrey was a fake and she wouldn't accept it. She would however accept my English license and no need for a medical.

The crux was the residence letter. We went to immigration in Bangkok and they refused to issue the letter unless I also renewed my visa. I'm 2 months in on a multiple entry non-imm O visa and due for an out of country at the end of January. The officer in charge said the time was too short to issue a residence letter unless I extended the visa at the same time ... or came back in February.

Correct about the UK embassy at 3080 baht for the letter. When I rang them yesterday they couldn't make heads nor tails of the demand for a letter of Thai residence from a foreign embassy. After checking with the legal bods they told me to come in with my passport and 3080 baht between 8:00 and 11:00 to get the letter done.

There is a bit of calling legit documents fake going around lately.

you'll find out if you have a bump smile.png if you dont have an international driving permit to drive here technically/legally you dont have insurance or driving license unless of course you hold a Thai license, now I for one wouldnt want to find out the hard way weather or not this would be the out come if I did have a bump, or worse.

In Thailand, if you have a bump and you are a farang, you are guilty no matter what kind of license you carry with you.

Rubbish. If so negative why are you here in the first place ?

Got my 1-year DL last week with only the tabien baan as proof of address, so no hassle with certificate of residence. Besides brought D/L and Intl. D/L of home-country, medical test, PP with Non-Imm.-O for retirees and departure-card as well as copies of all of above. Had to make only the color blindness test, after 1 hour got my card, on which they made me 3 months younger than I actually am.

You do realise that since you seem to be living here your home license, with or without IDP does not matter, has no legal validity? So if you're in an accident with your motorbike you could have more troubles than you're anticipating.

Nonsense, IDP is not legally required and does not add any validity to the home license.

If a tourist: home license is sufficient, provided it is in English, has a photo, is valid for the vehicle driven and there is a treaty with Thailand (which is nearly always the case).

If living here: after 3 months Thai DL is required.