10 percent of Phuket beaches set aside for mat and umbrella operators

webfact

10pc of Phuket beaches set aside for mat and umbrella operators
Nattha Thepbamrung

1419325042_1.jpg
The zone will be used by listed operators from 9am to 4pm. Photo: Luke Ma

PHUKET: -- Ten per cent of the space on beaches in Muang District is to be set aside for beach mats and umbrella operators, it was announced yesterday (December 22).

The announcement was made at a follow-up meeting chaired by Vice-Governor Somkiet Sangkhaosutthirak after Governor Nisit Jansomwong’s approval for beach operators to rent out umbrellas and mats in specific zones.

“Today we are focusing on 12 beaches around Muang District. The zoning will be planned by local authorities starting tomorrow (December 23).”

He ordered that 10 per cent of each beach will be open for mats, umbrellas, and will be strictly controlled by a municipal official who will check the area regularly.

“The zone will be used by listed operators from 9am to 4pm.”

The rental price for umbrellas and mats will be fixed for the entire island and will announced by this Friday (December 26).

V/Gov Somkiet expressed his confidence in the new zoning scheme, saying that local operators will control it.

“Registered operators will work together to keep outsiders from working on the beach [illegally]. They recognise the importance of the new scheme and the importance of controlling it.”

After the meeting, a group of masseuses complained to the Vice Governor about the changes that had been made since the previous meeting chaired by the Governor.

“We were told we were allowed to bring mattresses to the beach for massage services, but now it’s illegal again,” said Rattana Sae’lee.

“We bring mattresses to make the customers comfortable. That’s better for them than lying on a mat.”

The Vice Governor and Governor plan to discuss the issue again and come up with an answer by this Friday (December 26).

“We will try to help beach operators for a few months, and then we will re-evaluate the zoning scheme.

“We plan to cooperate with local universities and conduct research to see if everyone – local officials, beach operators, local people, tourists – is satisfied,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/10pc-of-phuket-beaches-set-aside-for-mat-and-umbrella-operators-50266.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-23

Only 10% of space seems a low target. I would be happy if they only used just 25%. No doubt this is only the start.

I wouldn't worry too much. Given normal Thai "bracket creep" things should be back to what they were 12 months ago, by the end of high season!

I wish they'd make their <deleted> minds up, make a decision, and stick to it for once ... but I'm dreaming, the right payoffs have now been made to the relevant parties, and business slowly goes back to normal ... give it a month and they'll cover the entire beach once again.

"will be strictly controlled by a municipal official who will check the area regularly"

All this crap is being sold on the beach now. Business grows daily. It's not regulated. No one enforces the rules so everyone takes more every day. Businesses on the beach are growing faster than mold in my bathroom. (I'm using bleach but I can't stop it.)

Oyyyyyy...&lt;deleted&gt; Thailand.

So the local operators will have standard & fair pricing for the rental of space, a;pmg with published fair pricing for mat/umbrella rental, & the money will go into the public coffers, not someone's pocket. Proceeds will be used to keep public spaces nice & clean by employing some previously unemployed deckchair operators.

This just isn't gonna work.......

Who and how do they choose who gets it? Is it 10% of the beach when the tide is in or out? Why do they keep cow towing to these people? Right now it's easy "NO !!!"

If they want this then it should just be run by local government employees only, then ALL the money comes back, there are standards set and adhered to. But then the public would benifit and the "tea money" opportunities wouldn't be there.......

You know what ... instead of being rude and defeatist in your postings how about this ... Give them a chance.

Anyone actually living here should know what a mess General Prayuth took on, did you expect him to fix every thing in a few short months ??? If you did your delusional or don't actually live here.

This place will take years to fix and I for one think he has done a very commendable job so far under hard opposition

There will be a lot of starts and stops as they try something finds it doesn't work and tries something else.

Have some faith and support a man who has the conviction to try and do the best for his Country and people, try giving some support for a change, will the 10% on beaches change ? who knows but I suspect probably and actually think it should be higher and im sure it will soon as the details of how to manage it are worked out and in place with a lower manageable amount

I for one am quiet happy with how things are going, I would hope for higher Tourist numbers but re building a Country takes time and it will get better ... I am sure none of you naysayers could do a better quicker job

• Like 1

You know what ... instead of being rude and defeatist in your postings how about this ... Give them a chance.

Anyone actually living here should know what a mess General Prayuth took on, did you expect him to fix every thing in a few short months ??? If you did your delusional or don't actually live here.

This place will take years to fix and I for one think he has done a very commendable job so far under hard opposition

There will be a lot of starts and stops as they try something finds it doesn't work and tries something else.

Have some faith and support a man who has the conviction to try and do the best for his Country and people, try giving some support for a change, will the 10% on beaches change ? who knows but I suspect probably and actually think it should be higher and im sure it will soon as the details of how to manage it are worked out and in place with a lower manageable amount

I for one am quiet happy with how things are going, I would hope for higher Tourist numbers but re building a Country takes time and it will get better ... I am sure none of you naysayers could do a better quicker job

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

You are joking right? Is beach umbrellas the biggest issue facing Thailand? Is it even one of the top 500 biggest issues as the economy is going down the pan? You improve things by focussing on a few key problems and hammer away at them until they are permanently fixed. Then move on to the next lot. Trying to fix all this issues at the same time, by edict, and then following none of them up will improve nothing. &lt;deleted&gt; the man is a general and should know that he has to concentrate his forces, not spread them all over the show.

You are joking right? Is beach umbrellas the biggest issue facing Thailand? Is it even one of the top 500 biggest issues as the economy is going down the pan? You improve things by focussing on a few key problems and hammer away at them until they are permanently fixed. Then move on to the next lot. Trying to fix all this issues at the same time, by edict, and then following none of them up will improve nothing. <deleted> the man is a general and should know that he has to concentrate his forces, not spread them all over the show.

Where exactly did I say the beach umbrellas were the biggest problem ?? I said much the same as you but with reference to the " Beach Umbrellas " as that was the topic

So it seems the Thais realise that beach goers like sunbeds then, I'll be happy if they let some of the beach bar/restaurants open again so a person doesn't need to get his pants pulled down for the price of a beer at Nikki beach. Bring back the reggae bar!!

Why is it not possible in this country to draw up a new law where the Government are totally in control over how many and where to have beach chairs, loungers whatever their called, and they who break the law and open "their own business" on public land (beaches) get heavy fines as would happen in any other country.

IMO I think the general need to look more into parenting, education and discipline of the next generation if the Government are serious and want any changes to last here.

regardless of how the NCPO appears to be doing - any government for the citizens should be open for opinions via a free press - a free citizenship to gather and voice their opinions - and through elections. Until these freedoms are provided, those in power are not legitimate.