Rumours of drug abuse among Thai workers in Israel dismissed

Lite Beer

Rumours of drug abuse among Thai workers in Israel dismissed

BANGKOK: -- The Labour Ministry has dismissed rumours that more than half of the Thai workers in Israel are drug abusers.

"Only a few Thais living there have drug problems," Noppadon Kannika said Tuesday in his capacity as adviser to Labour Minister General Surasak Kanjanarat.

About 25,000 Thais are working in Israel and most send money back to their families in Thailand, Noppadon said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Rumours-of-drug-abuse-among-Thai-workers-in-Israel-30250495.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-23

Wouldn't know if it's 50%, but yaba been reported to be found more often by Israeli customs and police.

Far as I can tell it was almost always to do with Thai workers, not the general public or the party scene.

A similar story appeared about about a couple of weeks ago on the other newspaper. Also included Thai

authorities intention of introducing mandatory drug use screening tests for foreign workers. A bit different

than outright dismissing the issue.

• Like 1

and i absolutely refuse to receive packages for cousins friends brothers etc; and i packed my husband's suitcase, and mine and kept them under lock and key when we returned to israel.

i dont even want to receive packages for us from his family; i dont trust them as for being too stupid and thinking that 'as israelis will say' (li ze lo yikray) (it wont happen to me)>

It almost makes one wonder if having a low skilled labor force of foreign workers is nothing more than a front, or an excuse, to engage in these sort of activities. I understand that the labor is cheap, but I also wonder why no one in the area (any local) would not be grateful to have a job to at least support a living and perhaps a family. In the USA a lot of Americans do not want the jobs that the Mexicans take. Is this the way it is in Israel, and what sort of jobs do Thai workers do there... and why not just send them all home if it such a problem? Just curious.