Chinese tourists to bring smiles back to Thailand

webfact

I listen to the Chinese-bashing here, and I have to ask myself... When was the last time anyone heard of Chinese (from Mainland China or Taiwan) involved in a drunken brawl, arrested for killing a Thai woman, running over someone, having public sex on a beach, etc, etc... I may not approve of tourists dressing as students and posing for photos at Chiang Mai University, but that is benign compared to what one hears frequently of farang behavior in Thailand.

• Like 1

The last time I visited home, I flew China Southern Air, which needless to say carried predominantly Chinese passengers both going and on return. Witnessed nothing like this, engaged in some great conversations with fellow passengers, not one problem experienced personally... As typical in these forums the posts end up dominated by Western males with a neo-colonialist outlook.

Just that one flight? Trust me, you need to go out a little bit more thumbsup.gif

Actually a total of four separate flights, Bangkok to Guangzhou, Guangzhou to Los Angeles and return same way... In Chiang Mai I went on a day-long tour of the Golden Triangle, and most of the others on the trip were Chinese, and exceptionally well behaved (as were the French on another tour I took of rafting and hiking that seemed all french except for me)... The fact is that most people traveling, and yes I mean both Western and Asian and in between are well-behaved, basically decent folks. They come here and they have good experiences, sometimes bad experiences, but no group can be entirely painted with a single brush. I also don't think the views expressed by many in this forum represent the views of any majority, just those that are more vocal. Unfortunately there are some issues that just get me riled and my dander up and this is one of them...

Nuff said, last trip home I found out my blood pressure is a bit high, TV probably is not good for that...

well it is good news for the charter bus companies that heard them around Thailand

stopping only at stops that pay the tour operators a little something something

Good point. Looking at the ridiculous and childish comments put up by some Thai Visa people, you would have thought that the Thais would pay the Chinese tour operators to NOT stop at their places !!

And here we go.

Just wondering does the author know that Chinese hardly spend any money?

It's like having a full bar, fully staffed yet no one drinking.

Yes it's busy, only it's costing money to be open without any income

Chinese spend money. But mostly in these warehouse factory outlets. Actually this is not bad at all because this is a good controlable income so Thailand can easy check how much the average chinese spend. Western tourists who come to thailand without plans where they stay and what they do are not really the kind of favourable tourist cattle. And I guess the worst are the young fellas who came here and start doing what the average Thais are doing, working without paying taxes, eat street vendor food and sleep in unregistered hotels or even worse and live at some local home for free. Funny thing is that "TAT" used this tourist kind in their latest video about thailand. The tuth is that there is no legal possibilty to stay like this here. And everyone who choose this lifestlye as foreigner risk deportation...

And here we go.

Just wondering does the author know that Chinese hardly spend any money?

It's like having a full bar, fully staffed yet no one drinking.

Yes it's busy, only it's costing money to be open without any income

Chinese spend money. But mostly in these warehouse factory outlets. Actually this is not bad at all because this is a good controlable income so Thailand can easy check how much the average chinese spend. Western tourists who come to thailand without plans where they stay and what they do are not really the kind of favourable tourist cattle. And I guess the worst are the young fellas who came here and start doing what the average Thais are doing, working without paying taxes, eat street vendor food and sleep in unregistered hotels or even worse and live at some local home for free. Funny thing is that "TAT" used this tourist kind in their latest video about thailand. The tuth is that there is no legal possibilty to stay like this here. And everyone who choose this lifestlye as foreigner risk deportation...

There are no warehouse factory outlets.

There are huge parking lots with small shops to cater ONLY to bus loads of Chinese tourists and those shops are Chinese owned.

The Chinese are important to the Junta for political reasons. They are a model of a semi functioning despotic regime, of which Thailand is a semi autonomous province. One poster was correct about the money going to Chinese businesses in Thailand, hotels, transport,restaurants etc. Sure a few Thai will be employed on slave labour wages - menial jobs while the big money will go up to the top to those who must be obeyed.

• Like 1

well it is good news for the charter bus companies that heard them around Thailand

Good point. Looking at the ridiculous and childish comments put up by some Thai Visa people, you would have thought that the Thais would pay the Chinese tour operators to NOT stop at their places !!

Its pretty safe to assume you are not the brightest light in the roomrolleyes.gif

Buses stop ONLY at their own shops where if its not Chinese owned, then Chinese tour operator gets 30%-50% cut from any sales.w00t.gif

Speaking of being ridiculous and uninformedgiggle.gif

Thank the Lord Buddha! All the smiles here that disappeared were stolen by Chinese tourists, who are to bring the smiles back!

See, everyone? Chinese tourists do more than act rudely, toss scalding water on flight attendants, and threaten to blow up airplanes. They also return stolen smiles!

And this happens just when I think things can't get any better! I need to be more optimistic, obviously.

"Political unrest this year, triggered by a parliamentary bill in November 2013 that could have allowed the return of an ousted leader, saw the removal of the incumbent prime minister and ended with a coup d'état in May 2014"

Let's see

Thaksin wasn't ousted from anything. He is fugitive criminal.

Yingluck resigned to call an election so wasn't removed from that position.

(Yes I know suthep's lunacy has a part in all this)

OK, yes there was a coup.

1 out of 3.

Well 'tis the season to be jolly, maybe the reporter was too busy being jolly to get their facts straight.

I listen to the Chinese-bashing here, and I have to ask myself... When was the last time anyone heard of Chinese (from Mainland China or Taiwan) involved in a drunken brawl, arrested for killing a Thai woman, running over someone, having public sex on a beach, etc, etc... I may not approve of tourists dressing as students and posing for photos at Chiang Mai University, but that is benign compared to what one hears frequently of farang behavior in Thailand.

No they have drunken Brawls on Planes 30.000 feet up and threaten to blow the panes up.whistling.gif

• Like 1

The last time I visited home, I flew China Southern Air, which needless to say carried predominantly Chinese passengers both going and on return. Witnessed nothing like this, engaged in some great conversations with fellow passengers, not one problem experienced personally... As typical in these forums the posts end up dominated by Western males with a neo-colonialist outlook.

Just that one flight? Trust me, you need to go out a little bit more thumbsup.gif

Actually a total of four separate flights, Bangkok to Guangzhou, Guangzhou to Los Angeles and return same way... In Chiang Mai I went on a day-long tour of the Golden Triangle, and most of the others on the trip were Chinese, and exceptionally well behaved (as were the French on another tour I took of rafting and hiking that seemed all french except for me)... The fact is that most people traveling, and yes I mean both Western and Asian and in between are well-behaved, basically decent folks. They come here and they have good experiences, sometimes bad experiences, but no group can be entirely painted with a single brush. I also don't think the views expressed by many in this forum represent the views of any majority, just those that are more vocal. Unfortunately there are some issues that just get me riled and my dander up and this is one of them...

Nuff said, last trip home I found out my blood pressure is a bit high, TV probably is not good for that...

So you've taken a few flights in and out of China....I'm sorry, I stand corrected. My dozens upon dozens upon dozens of flights in and out of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore pales in comparison to your vast knowledge of Chinese travel. I won't make any more "anti Chinese" comments about them crapping, pissing, spitting, yelling, or trashing the place. I guess you have it all figured out.

No they have drunken Brawls on Planes 30.000 feet up and threaten to blow the panes up.whistling.gif

One incident... I've heard of many more incidents involving intoxicated farang on flights, fighting, being disruptive, sexually harassing stewardesses... Just read through Thai Visa News for a week and it is clear that Chinese tourists are minor offenders compared...

One incident... I've heard of many more incidents involving intoxicated farang on flights, fighting, being disruptive, sexually harassing stewardesses... Just read through Thai Visa News for a week and it is clear that Chinese tourists are minor offenders compared...

mate you asked in your post when was the last time anyone heard of chinese involved in a drunken brawl so I told you.

We all know it happens with farrang as well but as I too have travelled many times to China and Hong Kong have witnessed many things that the Chinese get up to on flights as other posters have pointed out here and in other posts.

You might be on to something there. I have a friend who is GM of a five star hotel in Chiang Mai who would consider that, as when the Chinese tour bus pulls up and disgorges 20+ mainland Chinese tourists, his in-house guests are so put off by their behaviour that they don't want to dine in the main restaurant.

Edited by bubba

Political unrest this year saw the removal of the incumbent prime minister

It's 'incompetent', not 'incumbent'...nobody checks articles anymore for spelling mistakes! tongue.png

Nothing to do with spelling!!

'Incumbent' is the correct word in the context. tongue.png

It was a bit of a joke, which you didn't get...which is ok. Have some eggnog. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I live in Jomtien. Occasionally some Chinese tourists come by, snap a photo with me (I usually have guitar and cowboy hat so I am "exotic". Never expect gratuity). I have never met any rude or ill mannered there, usually chat them up a bit in English or my limited Mandarin. Same is true when I encounter them in other parts of Pattaya. I am just beating the odds? Now the Russians on the other hand.....

Don't even get me started on the French ! biggrin.png

• Like 1

cheesy.gif

. 5555555555, They Bring Nothing, Tour Only, can buy all that crap in China, Gawking Faces do not help Thailand, I sit airport right now, a group of 50 just walked by, not one shopping bag, I mean not one, so Funny Thainess Thinking, oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
. Just went on Japan Airlines to Tokyo , Everybody had a shopping bag but me,5555

I have in-laws involved in tourist businesses (elephant camp and zip-line) and the advent of Chinese tourism has been a saviour with the precipitous decrease in Western tourism. Of course they have their stories of bad behavior, but those are outliers. Mostly they only have good things to say about the majority of the Chinese and are greatful for the money they spend. And I am grateful that the Chinese tourists are now the butt of the tourist jokes and not my fellow Farangs.