Chinese tourists to bring smiles back to Thailand

webfact

Chinese travelers the world's biggest spenders

Chinese travelers are now the top source of tourism cash in the world, according to a new report by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). Boosted by a rising Chinese currency, Chinese travelers spent a record US$102 billion on international tourism in 2012, a 40 percent rise from US$73 billion in 2011.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/05/travel/china-tourists-spend/

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Yep Chinese vandalising Temples, throwing hot water on flight attendants, threatening to blow up planes and stealing tuk tuks, I bet Thais cant wipe the smiles of their faces.

You left one out. Dressing up in university school uniforms for photo ops on campus. Guarantee the uni president wasn't smiling. smile.png

China Town (obviously) and the Sutisan area are better equipped for Chinese tourists. Most other places not so much. Thais very basic understanding of the Chinese Language is still nonexistant. In Chaing Mai, there are many Chinese signs, but language has trailed behind.

And what do Chinese travelers prefer to do on their trips?

According to Dr. Yong Chen of Hong Kong Polytechnic University who specializes in Chinese outbound tourism, unlike other global travelers, Chinese tourists focus mainly on shopping. "If you look at Chinese tourists 10 years ago, they will mainly buy souvenirs. Nowadays, they want to buy luxury products in Italy or Paris like handbags and watches."

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/05/travel/china-tourists-spend/

That's obviously the "quality tourists" Thailand is looking for. Less prostitutes. More shopping malls. A win-win situation.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

And here we go.

Just wondering does the author know that Chinese hardly spend any money?

It's like having a full bar, fully staffed yet no one drinking.

Yes it's busy, only it's costing money to be open without any income

konying, what are you talking about ??

Those Chinese tourists stay in hotels, and the increasing number of Chinese tourists has caused the construction of new hotels in Thailand during the last decade. The construction industry certainly benefits Thailand, even though lots of the construction workers are actually Cambodians.

Also, those hotels need staff, and a lot of the staff are Thai, so those Chinese tourists are creating some jobs in Thailand.

My Gf works in an upmarket Boutique hotel in CM and they really love it when their Chinese customers are shitting on the balcony, or when they book a tour and let the driver wait 1h before they are ready to go, or rent a motorbike with the hotel and starting hours of discussion about 50 B. There are plenty more stories. She says that the drivers no longer want Chinese customers and the hotel staff is every time really happy when they leave. Really sought after jobs working with rude, loud and uneducated people with their baseless superior attitude.

Peasants with some money.

• Like 1

And here we go.

Those Chinese tourists stay in hotels, and the increasing number of Chinese tourists has caused the construction of new hotels in Thailand during the last decade. The construction industry certainly benefits Thailand, even though lots of the construction workers are actually Cambodians.

Also, those hotels need staff, and a lot of the staff are Thai, so those Chinese tourists are creating some jobs in Thailand.

Oi Wei ,

Do they go shopping ? No

Do they go drinking? No

Do they go out to eat? No

They get driven around in Chinese owned buses, staying in Chinese owned hotels, eat in Chinese owned restaurants and shop in Chinese owned shops.

Now be a spot and tell me what hotels were built because of Chinese tourists and the exact number of Chinese tourists in the past decade?

If you can not, then try using brain and common sense before posting utter rubbish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#cite_note-28

Konying (and a few others as well), please try to read the above article from wikipedia. It's only telling us what we already know. Please read the bit that is 'top twenty arrivals by nationality'.

You will notice that China sends more tourists to Thailand than any other single country. You will also notice that the growth in numbers from 2006 to 2013 has been considerable, more than quadruple. Notice that there has been growth in tourist numbers from America and other countries, but the growth in those countries has been far more modest.

Those Chinese who come here. Note, they've more than quadrupled since 2006, they're not sleeping in the streets ! THEY ARE ACTUALLY STAYING IN HOTELS !!

Do YOU believe that the total number of hotel rooms occupied by Chinese has quadrupled since 2006 ?

Do YOU believe that Chinese tourists occupy a huge number of hotel rooms, and they pay for the rooms ?

Do you believe that these hotel rooms, these hotels, they were built, right ? The hotels did not magically appear. Was it Chinese construction workers from China who built these hotels ? Actually, lots of Cambodians were used, but some Thais as well. So those hotels (when being built) did provide construction jobs for Thais and Cambodians ? They was paid right ?

Konying, please read newspapers about planet earth before you start telling other people to engage their brain. Do you believe that the number of Chinese tourists coming to Thailand will increase enormously in the next decade ? Are those Chinese tourists going to be sleeping in the streets ? Maybe they need hotel rooms, and hotels. Maybe they need more Cambodians and Thais to build more hotels.

:)

rude, loud and uneducated people with their baseless superior attitude.

Peasants with some money.

That's what most educated Thais think of western tourists

Edited : With the exception of Kim Kardashian and Angelina Jolie of course ;-)

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Despite the shenanigans we often read about from tourists of certain nationalities, for tourism as a whole the the gross numbers of visits and amount each spends is undoubtedly what drives the business. Bad apples are everywhere its just the Chinese seem to do it louder and more tastelessly.

There's always someone at the number 1 spot.

Earlier this year was sitting at a restaurant along the moat having lunch. On the other side of the moat, in the Old Town section, was a group of Chinese. I saw one rather portly woman separate from the group and make her way down the slope to the edge of the moat. She turned around, dropped her pants, squatted down and dropped a load right into the water. Kind of ruined my lunch.

Also have a Thai husband & wife who own a decent buffet. They have asked the tour companies to NOT send any more buses of Chinese tourists to them for lunch at their establishment.

Sure, numbers are up, but quality is way down.

• Like 1

And here we go.

Oi Wei ,

Do they go shopping ? No

Do they go drinking? No

They get driven around in Chinese owned buses, staying in Chinese owned hotels, eat in Chinese owned restaurants and shop in Chinese owned shops.

Now be a spot and tell me what hotels were built because of Chinese tourists and the exact number of Chinese tourists in the past decade?

If you can not, then try using brain and common sense before posting utter rubbish

I agree. And I believe your average Aussie or Brit yobbo on the piss on Phukhet or Sumui for three weeks would pump more money into the Thai economy than a whole busload of Chinese tourists would in the same time.

But the arrival numbers they create look good. clap2.gif

• Like 1

Earlier this year was sitting at a restaurant along the moat having lunch. On the other side of the moat, in the Old Town section, was a group of Chinese. I saw one rather portly woman separate from the group and make her way down the slope to the edge of the moat. She turned around, dropped her pants, squatted down and dropped a load right into the water. Kind of ruined my lunch.

Also have a Thai husband & wife who own a decent buffet. They have asked the tour companies to NOT send any more buses of Chinese tourists to them for lunch at their establishment.

Sure, numbers are up, but quality is way down.

That would not have happened to me, Just1Voice. As soon as I see a mob of them approaching me I run !

Living in Chiang Rai for 4 years as well as doing three trips to China taught me that. I still have nightmares about the night I had dinner in a restaurant in Kunming back in 2007.

As a generously-built farang, I have sometimes been sitting quietly at the Mall, reading a book & minding my own business, when I've noticed Chinese tourists trying to take photos of themselves or their friends, with myself also 'in shot'. rolleyes.gif

I've always tried to be friendly and co-operative, as I wish to reflect well upon both Thailand (my adopted country) and the U.K. (I try to be an English gentleman), I say hello and welcome them to Chiang Mai, much as I (and my meager spending-money) were welcomed in Greece or Spain in the days of my youth ! That's before the Brits all became lewd pissheads, obviously !sad.png

Since these are clearly the hi-so elite tourists upon whom our economy now depends, I am somewhat taken aback to have to report, that I have never once been offered a gratuity for my modelling-services. Try that on the modern punks, in London ! laugh.png

Perhaps this is due to the natural cultural-sensitivity of these new visitors. Or ought I to offer to pay them, for the honour they do me ? whistling.gif

• Like 1

I find it interesting that posters on this thread (predominantly Western males) cite a few incidents that have occurred, out of thousands and thousands of Chinese who come here, spend money on tours, are polite - the vast majority come here and enjoy themselves and return home without incidents. Yet they seem to forget all the incidents reported in the TV news forum of Westerners - British, American, Australian, Russian, etc. I have a feeling if anyone analyzed incidents of vandalism, bad behavior, and even criminal related to Thailand over the past year they would find it is not Chinese who are the worst offenders but representatives of Western nationalities and Chinese tourists a small fraction of that.I will refrain from saying what I think is at the root of the Sinophobia here...

I think the fact is, not only does Chinese (those from the mainland, not ethnic Chinese from elsewhere) NOT bring smiles back to Thailand, they incite dislike and scorn not just from the Thais, but from fellow travellers as well. And this is the case with wherever this bunch of nitwits go, not just Thailand.

And here we go.

Oi Wei ,

Do they go shopping ? No

Do they go drinking? No

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#cite_note-28

Konying (and a few others as well), please try to read the above article from wikipedia. It's only telling us what we already know. Please read the bit that is 'top twenty arrivals by nationality'.

You will notice that China sends more tourists to Thailand than any other single country. You will also notice that the growth in numbers from 2006 to 2013 has been considerable, more than quadruple. Notice that there has been growth in tourist numbers from America and other countries, but the growth in those countries has been far more modest.

Those Chinese who come here. Note, they've more than quadrupled since 2006, they're not sleeping in the streets ! THEY ARE ACTUALLY STAYING IN HOTELS !!

Do YOU believe that the total number of hotel rooms occupied by Chinese has quadrupled since 2006 ?

Do YOU believe that Chinese tourists occupy a huge number of hotel rooms, and they pay for the rooms ?

Do you believe that these hotel rooms, these hotels, they were built, right ? The hotels did not magically appear. Was it Chinese construction workers from China who built these hotels ? Actually, lots of Cambodians were used, but some Thais as well. So those hotels (when being built) did provide construction jobs for Thais and Cambodians ? They was paid right ?

Konying, please read newspapers about planet earth before you start telling other people to engage their brain. Do you believe that the number of Chinese tourists coming to Thailand will increase enormously in the next decade ? Are those Chinese tourists going to be sleeping in the streets ? Maybe they need hotel rooms, and hotels. Maybe they need more Cambodians and Thais to build more hotels.

:)

Too funny to even respond

Last night I was at the airport, and saw bus full of Chinese tourists getting ready to fly home. Amid all the screams, pushing and chaos, there where 2 pieces of luggage left at the drop off point. The last tourist did not care as this was not his luggage, and promptly kicked it and left. The bus driver did (of course) not receive any tip, so he just left without the bags. All this left a smile on my face.

Why???

I can't wait for them to start crapping and pissing in the street in front of everyone. Ever been on an Air Asia flight with Chinese on it? Even though the girls come through and collect trash about a dozen times, when you get off the plane, it looks like rubbish tornado went through the cabin. The entire floor is covered with noodles, bowls, cups, bags, and every other thing they can throw on the floor. They are always screaming and shouting at each other, trying to have full conversations from the front of the plane to the back, they are always trying to sneak into the Red chairs and pretend to sleep so the girls don't wake them up...It goes on and on. I don't think Thais have the patience for that behavior on a grand scale.

The last time I visited home, I flew China Southern Air, which needless to say carried predominantly Chinese passengers both going and on return. Witnessed nothing like this, engaged in some great conversations with fellow passengers, not one problem experienced personally... As typical in these forums the posts end up dominated by Western males with a neo-colonialist outlook.

• Like 1

I can't wait for them to start crapping and pissing in the street in front of everyone. Ever been on an Air Asia flight with Chinese on it? Even though the girls come through and collect trash about a dozen times, when you get off the plane, it looks like rubbish tornado went through the cabin. The entire floor is covered with noodles, bowls, cups, bags, and every other thing they can throw on the floor. They are always screaming and shouting at each other, trying to have full conversations from the front of the plane to the back, they are always trying to sneak into the Red chairs and pretend to sleep so the girls don't wake them up...It goes on and on. I don't think Thais have the patience for that behavior on a grand scale.

The last time I visited home, I flew China Southern Air, which needless to say carried predominantly Chinese passengers both going and on return. Witnessed nothing like this, engaged in some great conversations with fellow passengers, not one problem experienced personally... As typical in these forums the posts end up dominated by Western males with a neo-colonialist outlook.

Just that one flight? Trust me, you need to go out a little bit more thumbsup.gif

• Like 1