Chinese tourists to bring smiles back to Thailand

webfact

Chinese tourists to bring smiles back to Thailand
John Phillips

(CNBC) Political unrest kept tourists away from Thailand for much of this year, but a surge in Chinese tourists over the past two months may signal a recovery next year, analysts say.

"Thailand's tourism sector, which was a key growth driver before the most recent political crisis, finally looks to be on the mend, and should add much-needed support to the economy going into 2015," Capital Economics said in a note last week.

Political unrest this year, triggered by a parliamentary bill in November 2013 that could have allowed the return of an ousted leader, saw the removal of the incumbent prime minister and ended with a coup d'état in May 2014, dented Thailand's tourism sector, which accounts for around 10 percent of gross domestic product (GDP).

Visitor arrivals were down 12 percent on year from January through September, data from Thailand's Department of Tourism show, weighed by protests and outbreaks of violence in the first half of the year and caution among travelers thereafter.

Full story: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102287777

-- CNBC 2014-12-24

And here we go.

Just wondering does the author know that Chinese hardly spend any money?

It's like having a full bar, fully staffed yet no one drinking.

Yes it's busy, only it's costing money to be open without any income

konying, what are you talking about ??

Those Chinese tourists stay in hotels, and the increasing number of Chinese tourists has caused the construction of new hotels in Thailand during the last decade. The construction industry certainly benefits Thailand, even though lots of the construction workers are actually Cambodians.

Also, those hotels need staff, and a lot of the staff are Thai, so those Chinese tourists are creating some jobs in Thailand.

And here we go.

Just wondering does the author know that Chinese hardly spend any money?

It's like having a full bar, fully staffed yet no one drinking.

Yes it's busy, only it's costing money to be open without any income

konying, what are you talking about ??

Those Chinese tourists stay in hotels, and the increasing number of Chinese tourists has caused the construction of new hotels in Thailand during the last decade. The construction industry certainly benefits Thailand, even though lots of the construction workers are actually Cambodians.

Also, those hotels need staff, and a lot of the staff are Thai, so those Chinese tourists are creating some jobs in Thailand.

Heehee! And i thought the headline was funny. Your reply tops it. The only thing China brings is their numbers. Hotels are not being built because of chinese tourism. The hotels that are already standing are having trouble being filled. Even the larger number of china tourists is still keeping the tourism income low because they dont spend money.

Okay, during the last ten years, there has been mass construction of new hotels in most of Thailand's resorts and beaches, do you agree ?? Pattaya, and a whole load of other places certainly do look different compared to ten or fifteen years ago.

I'm only trying to say that there has been a massive increase in the number of Chinese tourists during the last ten or fifteen years. This is something that we all know is true. Yes, and a big increase in Russians as well. Chinese and Russians certainly account for a higher percentage of the tourists than ten years ago.

Would Thailand benefit if the number of Chinese tourists was to fall ? How about if the number of Chinese tourists would be the same as what it was ten or fifteen years ago ? How many empty or half-empty hotels ?

Most people do accept, looking at the last ten years, the number of Chinese tourists will increase considerably in the next ten years. If Thailand was to stop building new hotels, well, the existing hotels will certainly be catering for the increased numbers over the next few years. :)

Last night I was at the airport, and saw bus full of Chinese tourists getting ready to fly home. Amid all the screams, pushing and chaos, there where 2 pieces of luggage left at the drop off point. The last tourist did not care as this was not his luggage, and promptly kicked it and left. The bus driver did (of course) not receive any tip, so he just left without the bags. All this left a smile on my face.

• Like 2

cheesy.gif

. 5555555555, They Bring Nothing, Tour Only, can buy all that crap in China, Gawking Faces do not help Thailand, I sit airport right now, a group of 50 just walked by, not one shopping bag, I mean not one, so Funny Thainess Thinking, oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

My girl friend works in a hotel here in Chiang Mai and as she says, yes there are some rude Chinese and she also says there are some polite ones. In our neighborhood we get a lot of the Chinese here it is a nice side show watching them crash their newly hired scooter. They will eat in some of the local cafes but you never see them drinking in the bars. Their favorite phrase is cheaper, cheaper. You do see more businesses with chinese signs about and a few guest houses that cater to them.

Chinese tourists account for a large amount of the tourism revenue in Thailand, they are currently further encouraged by visa exemptions and spend on average as much as many other tourists in Thailand.

Russians and Europeans in general are the biggest per head spenders in Thailand, however the recent drop in value of the Ruble- down 30%, and the slowing European economy, struggling to improve; coupled with the ongoing imposition of marshal law, eroding the confidence of foreign travelers planning holidays to Thailand. Means reliance on these previous 'big spenders' is not an option.

Still the Chinese new year tourism revenues are significant to the Thai economy and boost the annual tourism revenues for the end of the year. Its all about the number of Chinese visitors.

This sector is so important, the Thai government have funded the building of infrastructure (roads) to increase the amount of Chinese travelers and bus tours visiting northern Thailand via Laos.

Thats the truth;)

Edited by Manbing
  • Like 1

Right now, a new, 500-room hotel/condo/shop/restaurant project is under construction about 1km from Phuket International Airport, (but not under the flightpath), and only a few hundred metres from Nai Yang Beach.

The project owners are Chinese.

The OrBorTor told me that the project owners told him that there was no longer any good reason to 'bus' all their Chinese tourists down to Patong, (expensive buses, time-factor etc). Better, just bus them 1km to stay in this new Chinese hotel, eat at the in-house restauraqnt, buy souvenirs (probably made in China) from the in-house souvenir shops.

I think Patong should be worried (or grateful!) that future Chinese tourists will not venture more than 1km from the airport

• Like 2

I can't wait for them to start crapping and pissing in the street in front of everyone. Ever been on an Air Asia flight with Chinese on it? Even though the girls come through and collect trash about a dozen times, when you get off the plane, it looks like rubbish tornado went through the cabin. The entire floor is covered with noodles, bowls, cups, bags, and every other thing they can throw on the floor. They are always screaming and shouting at each other, trying to have full conversations from the front of the plane to the back, they are always trying to sneak into the Red chairs and pretend to sleep so the girls don't wake them up...It goes on and on. I don't think Thais have the patience for that behavior on a grand scale.

• Like 2