Diazepam - should I just ignore the prescription and avoid it ?

MrWorldwide

Did they do a chest x-ray? My wife had a persistent cough but didn't pay much attention to it. Her blood pressure became a concern (150 over 100 for s few days). BHP did a chest x-ray and alarm bells started ringing. A CT scan revealed a golf ball size growth in one lung and polyps in both. She is back there today in the ICU with an oxygen count of 82. She will have a needle biopsy on Saturday and everyone agrees if it comes back TB we have hit the lottery. Not much of a Christmas at our house this year. Get checked is my advice.

I have developed claustrophobia as I got older and couldn't fly as a result. Went to the doctor and he prescribed a benzodiazepine called Oxazepam, marketed as Muralex. From what I understand, the benzos are less likely to be abused than the diazepams (don't ask me why)

Have taken these for 10 years now. But I have maintained very strict control over my usage, as the doctor told me you can build a tolerance to them. If that were to happen to me I wouldn't be able to fly which would be a big problem. So what that means is that unless I'm going to fly or have an MRI for example, they remain in my drawer and I don't touch them for sometimes months.

I think some people just have addictive personalities and become addicted to anything they take. If you're one of these personalities, I wouldn't touch the valium, no way.

I take up to 90mg before boarding a flight. I fly to Brisbane two or three times a year which is a 9.5hr flight. The sleep is wonderful from these tiny little tablets. I click my seat buckle in and am fast asleep before the flight even takes off. The flight attendant shakes me awake to eat, when finished my meal I'm straight back to sleep and only wake up when the plane bumps down on the tarmac at Brisbane....

No side effects at all except that they wipe your (short term) memory for the time while you're on them.

You mentioned you're a drinker, one thing to remember is that this drug will accentuate the effects of alcohol.....I can tell you that from first hand experience, I've had some pretty wild nights out in Pattaya after flying in from Brisbane still heavily sedated, sleep all the way down from the airport but awake enough to start on the Jack when I get here. My doctor hates it when I tell him that!

But, if it's sleep you're after, these things will calm you down and do the trick. Just don't make a habit out of it!

• Like 1

I have developed claustrophobia as I got older and couldn't fly as a result. Went to the doctor and he prescribed a benzodiazepine called Oxazepam, marketed as Muralex. From what I understand, the benzos are less likely to be abused than the diazepams (don't ask me why)Have taken these for 10 years now. But I have maintained very strict control over my usage, as the doctor told me you can build a tolerance to them. If that were to happen to me I wouldn't be able to fly which would be a big problem. So what that means is that unless I'm going to fly or have an MRI for example, they remain in my drawer and I don't touch them for sometimes months.I think some people just have addictive personalities and become addicted to anything they take. If you're one of these personalities, I wouldn't touch the valium, no way.I take up to 90mg before boarding a flight. I fly to Brisbane two or three times a year which is a 9.5hr flight. The sleep is wonderful from these tiny little tablets. I click my seat buckle in and am fast asleep before the flight even takes off. The flight attendant shakes me awake to eat, when finished my meal I'm straight back to sleep and only wake up when the plane bumps down on the tarmac at Brisbane....No side effects at all except that they wipe your (short term) memory for the time while you're on them. You mentioned you're a drinker, one thing to remember is that this drug will accentuate the effects of alcohol.....I can tell you that from first hand experience, I've had some pretty wild nights out in Pattaya after flying in from Brisbane still heavily sedated, sleep all the way down from the airport but awake enough to start on the Jack when I get here. My doctor hates it when I tell him that!But, if it's sleep you're after, these things will calm you down and do the trick. Just don't make a habit out of it!

Diazepam is a benzo

• Like 1

Half a zanex and you'll be sleeping for Australia! The problem with any sleeper is they will not keep you alseep if you have an aggressive cough, you will wake up. Sheryl's advice is well rounded though. some anti-histamines knock you out, but again when the coughing starts you'll wake up. I had legionnaires back in 2004, picked up from a Phuket hotel's air conditioning. I coughed so much my lips were blue as I wasn't getting enough oxygen in. After 7 days in the Thaksin hospital in Suratthani I was no better. Fortunately for me I reached out to one of my ex-students who is a doctor and he told me what to do and where to go. Was sorted in 3 days!

Try breaking the valium in half and having 2.5 mg each time which is what my elderly father has twice each day for anxiety.

He is addicted to it

I have been told by a wise old man (literally) that gargling with vinegar will kill most throat infections.

Wont hurt to try. Best of luck

• Like 1

Please don't take diazepam nor prednisolone...you don't need this in the mentioned indications...I 've been working in the pharmaceutical industry for more than 30 years and I know what I'm talking about....And better go to see another doctor if needed...

Succes!

• Like 1

Half a valium is a good test of your requirements. Sure you will feel a bit groggy next day but you can't have everything. So long as you do not abuse valium and do not have it with lots of booze you will be OK. You'll soon know if it suits your needs and personality. If you really need a good night's sleep, valium is useful. Take it several hours before bed and have it as a replacement for the alcohol. Your body will thank you for the rest from the booze. Valium is not the most unpleasant drug around. Horses for courses.

Valium is a miracle drug and will relax your mind and muscles enough to see you through any illness. I recommend 10 mg or you might not get the full effects of its magical healing powers..

However, if you like your alcoholic nightcap or have an addictive personality, I would advise you to steer clear of it.

I have been taking it when I fly or when I want to get a night of delicious sleep for the past ten years with no side effects. It even relaxes the bladder so you don't have to get up as often at night to urinate.

Only when I took 20 mg over a 24 hour period did I find myself sleep walking twice.

• Like 1

Benzodiazepams, which include valium, xanax, clonopin, rohypnol, lorezapam, etc, etc, can be horrifically addictive. I would advise against them if at all possible. If you absolutely must take them, I would say do not take for more than a couple of days. I myself was addicted to valium for 10 years. The withdrawals are right out of a horror film. They make kicking heroin look like a little girl's birthday party.

• Like 1

Don't take it - not unless you want to suffer from some or other 'undiagnosable' poly neuropathy one day.

'Head meds' = varying forms and degrees of neuro-toxins.

[The medical/pharmaceutical industry won't ever tell you that it's your meds that are making you ill.]

Why this post is allowed to run on this forum is beyond me ,

Get proper medical advise ! If you don't trust the first doctors opinion get a second ,

Unless posters are qualified in the medical field they shouldn't be advising you of what to do ,

Get sorted my friend , but get sorted professionally !!!!!!!

In the States about 15-20 years ago - over about 5 years twice I developed a serious bronchitis with a nasal / sinus infection... It would just not let go with the same yucky phlegm problem OP described... My respiratory track was quite inflamed... The doctor did in fact prescribe a short course of a steroid. It was likely Prednisone. The key words are Short Course - not prolonged. A Dose Pack I believe it was called. Both times it did wonders in changing the course of entire problem. I started getting better almost immediately.

OP I do highly recommend that you find and take an expectorant such as Guaifenesin... to loosen the congestion and helps expel mucous. Thai pharmacies have it. Breaking up the congestion in your bronchial tubes can greatly relieve the problem and help prevent complications such as pneumonia.

Don't take the Valium ... especially with alcohol. Take Atarax for sleep - it is OTC in Thailand and not expensive - works great - mostly harmless.

Best Wishes for your recovery.

I have developed claustrophobia as I got older and couldn't fly as a result. Went to the doctor and he prescribed a benzodiazepine called Oxazepam, marketed as Muralex. From what I understand, the benzos are less likely to be abused than the diazepams (don't ask me why) Have taken these for 10 years now. But I have maintained very strict control over my usage, as the doctor told me you can build a tolerance to them. If that were to happen to me I wouldn't be able to fly which would be a big problem. So what that means is that unless I'm going to fly or have an MRI for example, they remain in my drawer and I don't touch them for sometimes months. I think some people just have addictive personalities and become addicted to anything they take. If you're one of these personalities, I wouldn't touch the valium, no way. I take up to 90mg before boarding a flight. I fly to Brisbane two or three times a year which is a 9.5hr flight. The sleep is wonderful from these tiny little tablets. I click my seat buckle in and am fast asleep before the flight even takes off. The flight attendant shakes me awake to eat, when finished my meal I'm straight back to sleep and only wake up when the plane bumps down on the tarmac at Brisbane.... No side effects at all except that they wipe your (short term) memory for the time while you're on them. You mentioned you're a drinker, one thing to remember is that this drug will accentuate the effects of alcohol.....I can tell you that from first hand experience, I've had some pretty wild nights out in Pattaya after flying in from Brisbane still heavily sedated, sleep all the way down from the airport but awake enough to start on the Jack when I get here. My doctor hates it when I tell him that! But, if it's sleep you're after, these things will calm you down and do the trick. Just don't make a habit out of it!

That's not quite right actually. Valium is a Benzodiazepine as is Oxazepam.

Diazepam is not a class of drugs but rather the Generic name of Valium.

Both drugs are in the same class and both are addictive.

b

Edited by bobthomas

One of the problems with the regimen is the use of antihistamine and benzodiazepines together. Try one or the other. If you have a "runny nose" the anthistamine will help dry secretions but cause drowsiness as a side effect thus a synergistic effect with the diazepam. The diazepam has a very long half-life which contributes to your post sleep drowsiness. Maybe try half of a dose or less. The prednisolone is most likely prescribed for lung inflammation. It should be used in a tapering dose over a week or so and stopped. The mucolytic will help with phlegm but should be taken with a lot of water. If the physician thinks there is infection present then the antibiotic is a wise choice

many years ago when i was a student i went to the doctor after feeling awful and run down for a while. i was prescribed diazepam, i took it once and it made me so wooly/fuzzy headed i threw them away and went to another doctor who prescribed anti-biotics for the chest infection - which is what was really wrong with me.

i was on/off dating a nurse at the time (as you do...) and she was shocked i'd been prescribed diazepam. shocking stuff.

You should ignore, not only the valium but also the prednisolone. Neither are remotely indicatedf for this condition. For which reason I would also avoid this doctor in the future, what you describe is not good medical practice by any standard.

The soluble aspirin is intended to relieve throat pain (though it may do so at the price of gastric upset). If your throat is so painful that it really bothers you you could take it (always on a full stomach), otherwise don't.

The antihistamine is in case there is an allergic process contributing to the congestion. Won't hurt, may help.

What would have made sense for the night-time coughing would have been an anti-inflammatory nasal spray to decrease the post-nasal drip and perhaps, for a short-time, a cough preparation containing a low dose of codeine, which is an excellent cough suppressent.

In summary: take only the antibiotic and antihistamine (and, if throat is really raw and painful, the aspirin), ignore the rest.

Don't see this doctor again

If you do not improve -- and you might not with this regimen - come back online and I'll suggest a good ENT.

Taking supplemental zinc may also help. Redoxan brand (Vit C + zinc) can be found at Bots, watsons etc.

You need to read this post again, and follow this poster's advice. It is only with a grave concern that someone, especially this poster, will state something contrary to what has been prescribed by a doc. I wanted to jump right in and comment on the zebra in the room- The valium Rx - but decided to read in and see who else caught this or that.

Brother, you don't need valium. Your sleep must first be determined as to cause, time, difficulty falling, getting back to sleep, from excess urine, from coughing? etc. Do you sleep better in a semi upright position (orthopneic)? Is this surely related to recent changes in your health? Are you a candidate for a sleep study? Snoring? Only the coughing? etc. Throwing valium will not only mask the problem but will worsen it within one week- that fast. As your getting to sleep will continue to be fast you will increasingly wake earlier as tolerance builds this fast. This is simply the most wrong drug for this clinical presentation- period!

Again, Cheryl is right (no surprise there; she is a brilliant woman and you would be wise to listen to her), an antitussive to decrease cough, allowing you to sleep, and an antihistamine to attempt to address this clinical problem through this mechanism- allergy; often clinical diagnosis is more complicated that a simple lab test. Lab tests are tools. We treat the patient, not the tests. Take the clairthromycin (I think that's what you are taking) but please do not take the valium; this is PRN (as needed and so you can feel free to stop taking it in good conscience). Also, if it is true that zinc is highly suggestive of stimulating our own immune system. I recommended this to a patient just this week.

Jeez, valium. "Mother's little helpers" (Rolling Stones) are great to have around in a serious musculskeletal problem because they sufficiently relax the muscle groups allowing resets, rest, reduction, etc., but you will do more harm then not using for these for sleep. Also, diazapan is an older class of this drug in any event. The newer classes are prone abuse a bit too, but less so, and are markedly longer acting. I am further surprised he saddled a dinosaur. Good luck do not even go back to this doc. If you have general questions I will help PM. I would advise you to consider Cheryl's council. You simply cannot do better, really.

One of the problems with the regimen is the use of antihistamine and benzodiazepines together. Try one or the other. If you have a "runny nose" the anthistamine will help dry secretions but cause drowsiness as a side effect thus a synergistic effect with the diazepam. The diazepam has a very long half-life which contributes to your post sleep drowsiness. Maybe try half of a dose or less. The prednisolone is most likely prescribed for lung inflammation. It should be used in a tapering dose over a week or so and stopped. The mucolytic will help with phlegm but should be taken with a lot of water. If the physician thinks there is infection present then the antibiotic is a wise choice

Personally, I have also used medicines to rule out diagnosis, or a diagnosis of exclusion, but this is not an atypical case= not a stumper! This is standard clinic presentation with the hardest question being viral or bacterial. He cultured and treated " as if" it were bacterial. All in all every choice could be rationally explained, except the valium, Its not that I have a dearth of information about diazapam that renders me incapable of seeings is off shelf uses, its just not a good drug for this issue, but every crash cart just have loaded bristo jets of Valium.

I have been on diazepam for 4 years, if you really want sleep then temazepam would be a better short term option. Diazepam is actually pretty much suicide proof unless combined with other substances. I have taken 400mg in a day before back when I had a full blown out of control addiction. But I use it medically these days, still it is a crutch and a horrible one at that.

All the best, Merry Crimbo and a happy new years smile.png

To edit, things that are more natural are melatonin supplements, melatonin is a naturally occurring chemical that triggers sleeping patterns, but you can get supplements for sleep aides. Also, valerian root is a good one for sleep as well. Most sleeping pills leave you feeling drowsy and washed out the next day, try finding these 2 options I just noted, good luck.

Valium is a very addictive drug but not as bad as Xanax one of the same family of drugs(benzodiazepines) that is more addictive than heroin and prescribed all over Thailand by incompetent doctors and even for sale on Sukhumvit road.

400 mg is a lot to take in one day but I can understand how it can be done. My tolerance grew to 200 mg a day but I was also drinking lots of whisky too.

I got off it eventually but the withdrawal is worse than coming off alcohol or heroin, much much worse.

To sleep, i tried many things, the best pill being melatonin. Also an android app by Paul McKenna was great. Also, the audio book, "the power of now".

• Like 2

The problem I have seen with Valium use in personal observation and in reading the literature is the association with Depression. Mental 'Clinical' Depression is a big risk with Valium use with many people. And it is much worse than any disorder you may be treating with Valium ... A big reason I say -- don't use it.

I have been on diazepam for 4 years, if you really want sleep then temazepam would be a better short term option. Diazepam is actually pretty much suicide proof unless combined with other substances. I have taken 400mg in a day before back when I had a full blown out of control addiction. But I use it medically these days, still it is a crutch and a horrible one at that.

All the best, Merry Crimbo and a happy new years smile.png

To edit, things that are more natural are melatonin supplements, melatonin is a naturally occurring chemical that triggers sleeping patterns, but you can get supplements for sleep aides. Also, valerian root is a good one for sleep as well. Most sleeping pills leave you feeling drowsy and washed out the next day, try finding these 2 options I just noted, good luck.

Valium is a very addictive drug but not as bad as Xanax one of the same family of drugs(benzodiazepines) that is more addictive than heroin and prescribed all over Thailand by incompetent doctors and even for sale on Sukhumvit road.

400 mg is a lot to take in one day but I can understand how it can be done. My tolerance grew to 200 mg a day but I was also drinking lots of whisky too.

I got off it eventually but the withdrawal is worse than coming off alcohol or heroin, much much worse.

To sleep, i tried many things, the best pill being melatonin. Also an android app by Paul McKenna was great. Also, the audio book, "the power of now".

Yeah I had built a huge tolerance and was in a very very dark place at that point in my life. I could mix the big three, benzos, opiates and alcohol daily. Looking back I can't believe I was taking 400mg a day, these days I take 30mg a day for anxiety which I have had (diagnosed) since the age of 12, it has gotten worse with the years and it is a pretty severe case.

IF I could turn back the clock I would not turn to diazepam or any benzo for that matter because I am fully addicted now and 30mg does not even make me the slightest bit drowsy, I feel 'normal' - However if I miss a day boy don't I know it, Withdrawals from benzos are worse than heroin WDs so I am told, I have withdrawn from benzos a few times and tapering is the key, but I had no choice in the matter for those few times and it was utter hell for a couple of weeks at least. I had a mini seizure in fact and was found by my girlfriend who had luckily returned home from work during Lunch.

Insofacto, like most people have stated, if you must use a benzo only use them for at the very most of 6 weeks and try to stay away from daily use because addiction is inevitable. According to the Ashton Manual, created by Doctor Ashton who in my honest opinion has one of the most credible and detailed research on thew subject states, it can take anywhere from 6 weeks to half a year for a person to become addicted to benzo use, this depends on things such as metabolism, diet, life style, biological makeup and the type of benzo and dosage.

OP hope you have gotten your throat under control and some shuteye :)

Merry Christmas fellow expats and all the best for the coming year.

• Like 1

An excellent first post - not hysterical or judgemental : I hope you can retain your objectivity during your stay on Thaivisa, assuming you havent just resurrected yourself :D

OK, for the benefit of those who may be concerned that I spent last night with a handful of pills in one hand and a bottle of Mehkong in the other, this is where I'm at this morning:

- no diazepam or presnidolone (SP ?) last night and I had a fantastic sleep - believe the antihistamine was responsible but even fireworks outside didnt stop me falling into a deep sleep. Note also ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL last night - I may paint myself as a bit of a lush on this board at times, but I still have enough brain cells not to mix alcohol with serious medication.

- woke up coughing this morning - not uncontrollable, but annoying enough for me to get up. Note that I'm no longer coughing up buckets of phlegm - yesterday was the pits from that POV.

- managed to find the brown mixture and that definitely helps suppress the coughing - I just want to clear up the remnants of the nasal drip and see if the coughing stops permanently

Several have asked me why I would go to a doctor with such poor English skills - its simple. When you walk into Pattaya Memorial and ask to see a doctor, they assign one to you. This is exactly how I was treated in Bumrungrad when I hurt my back and I've never sought out a 'permanent' doctor in Thailand - my assumption was that the majority were trained overseas and had reasonable English, at least in towns with a high percentage of Farang residents : clearly that was a naive assumption. I do need to find a decent doctor and start getting regular checkups for things like testicular and prostrate cancer (happy thoughts, happy thoughts) : I've just been as lazy as a 55-year old man can get.

Thanks again for all the advice given here.

I'm 55 and take 10mg Diazapam per day for back spasms and have done so for years.

Don't mix them with alcohol and you'll be fine.

For anyone who have never experienced serious muscle spasms, this might seem like overkill - trust me, the first time your back locks up and you try to 'force' those muscles to relax, you'll see the light. When I hurt my back in 2008, there were times when I would have gladly taken anything, in any dosage, to stop the pain. Getting out of bed in the morning was a humbling experience after many years of thinking I was 'invincible' medically. Nothing quite like a fall down a set of stairs to remind us that we're a long way from being invincible.

Before I head off to breakfast, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish Sheryl a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - with the possible exception of ubonjoe, I can't think of any other mod who gives their time so selflessly to help wretches like myself in their time of need. This board has been a mixed blessing for me, but I'm a much happier camper this morning than I was 24-hours ago and I believe she can take much of the credit for that. Exceptional advice from someone who knows their stuff - kudos.

Edited by MrWorldwide

Before I head off to breakfast, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish Sheryl a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - with the possible exception of ubonjoe, I can't think of any other mod who gives their time so selflessly to help wretches like myself in their time of need. This board has been a mixed blessing for me, but I'm a much happier camper this morning than I was 24-hours ago and I believe she can take much of the credit for that. Exceptional advice from someone who knows their stuff - kudos.

wai2.gif