Daily wage tour guide ?

mja1906

Strange question.

Would the average be the maximum amount you would then pay.?

Personally I would pay what it was worth to me; and also what I would expect as a Thai to be a reasonable fee.

Remember they are most likely freelance. I pay my professional freelance staff 120bt per hour before 8pm and 140bt after 8pm. To me the return far outweighs the expense. I dont think thats unreasonable.

I know some on here would think 50bt an hour is in haggle territory.

If you want them to include a car/driver then look at rental costs; and expect to add 1000 bt for that as well.

Just remember back in your own careers when you were undervalued and how it made you feel.

• Like 1

Your not getting a lot of replies and I guess a lot of us don't know. A Thai with minimum skills is suppose to earn 300 baht a day, I think.

A tour guide who speaks a foreign language is skilled, and would get a lot more. 600? 900? per day? More? I don't know.

Eyecatcher, I don't know what those professional freelancers do for you but that seems like a decent wage. Now if they are computer programmers, it's a pretty crap wage : )

I once paid 9000B for three days, including car hire, fuel, three days of food for two people, whisky, two more guys to carry the food, tents etc, all inclusive.

I'm guessing 600B/day/head would be in the ball park.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Strange question.

Personally I would pay what it was worth to me; and also what I would expect as a Thai to be a reasonable fee.

Remember they are most likely freelance. I pay my professional freelance staff 120bt per hour before 8pm and 140bt after 8pm. To me the return far outweighs the expense. I dont think thats unreasonable.

If you want them to include a car/driver then look at rental costs; and expect to add 1000 bt for that as well.

Just remember back in your own careers when you were undervalued and how it made you feel.

I have seen them for 900 baht a day. That included the car and fuel.

The one problem I have with them is the tinted windows make it hard to see a lot of things. I know they are good for the driver but I like to look all around when I am the passenger and they do inhibit what I can see.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Strange question.

I don't see how that is possible. When our family comes up to visit from Hat Yai they always rent a mini van. I know it's not the same as a tour guide but it's a guy (or gal) with a van and their time taking people around from place to place. The family is Thai and they shop carefully. It's usually 1600-1700 per day plus 1000 for gas.

I did a lot of driving up mountain roads last Sunday (all day) and used about 400? Baht worth of gas in one day. We have a Honda.

• Like 2

My partner is a fully registered tour guide. Works mostly with foreign visitors. Has private car which charges extra, but basic day rate, say, 8.30 until 5pm averages out at about 1000 baht. Car and fuel extra.

If you are interested PM me and will pass your details on to her.

Sadly, still so many people come here and behave like cheap charlies. So infuriating trying to run a professional business only to find a few people expecting to pay only 500 baht a day or less !!

I didn't see this post before. Sounds more realistic to me.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems to vary a lot. I guess I'm talking about

- English speaking licensed tour guide only

Not the driver/guide 2in1 deal, and I know car+fuel+accomm+food costs would be extra. So I'm just talking about the services of the guide itself.

Also I'm not talking about the trips which take you to the commission places, cos' thats how some guides can charge a low daily rate. So I'm excluding those kind of rates

Strange question.

What kind of freelance staff are you talking about ? licensed tour guides?

Thanks for all the replies. Seems to vary a lot. I guess I'm talking about

- English speaking licensed tour guide only

Not the driver/guide 2in1 deal, and I know car+fuel+accomm+food costs would be extra. So I'm just talking about the services of the guide itself.

Also I'm not talking about the trips which take you to the commission places, cos' thats how some guides can charge a low daily rate. So I'm excluding those kind of rates

See post #6. Could be just what you are looking for. Fully licensed.

• Like 1

Many guides are employed with the big tour operators like World Travel. Kuoni, Diethelm, Tourismo Thai, etc. They are on monthly wages which I think nowadays is from 15-20K. In the high season, these big companies employ freelance guides as well and pay around 500 Baht./day.

Self emloyed guides, who have their own vehicle are more expensive. They usually deal with smaller groups and receive comissions where ever the tourists spend money on top of their charge.

Strange question.

The one problem I have with them is the tinted windows make it hard to see a lot of things. I know they are good for the driver but I like to look all around when I am the passenger and they do inhibit what I can see.

Been a while since I did that. I was talking to a fellow today who has a vehicle that seats five and he gets 1,500 baht a day all in.