MFA: PM Prayut secures several deals during his visit to China

webfact

Whilst CP sits on everyone's table, what Thaskin tried to do was to bring a new bunch to the top table and push some of the Thai Chinese old stagers such as the banks and insurance off.

Well, let's look how well that worked out.

You almost make it sound like an internal Thai-Chinese affair.

Whilst CP sits on everyone's table, what Thaskin tried to do was to bring a new bunch to the top table and push some of the Thai Chinese old stagers such as the banks and insurance off.

Well, let's look how well that worked out.

You almost make it sound like an internal Thai-Chinese affair.

Well what else would you like to characterise it as?

All the main political protagonists from parties or in the protests were Thai Chinese.

I have read extensively about the Thai Chinese in south east Asia. Hell, I even worked for one family who had a PM of Thailand, who was about as Thai as me. So, I have a little insight.

CP is THE broker for this stuff. They have been the head of the South East Asian Chinese business association for ever. He wins awards everywhere in se asia. In China the populous they have no idea he is on paper Thai. He meets with the heads of the CCP regularly. CP is the enabler for so much Chinese business it is amazing.

They have a finger in every major market in Asia and many international markets. Burma? My wife uncle has been exporting chickens from there for 25 years. They are waaaay ahead of the west for agribusiness in Asia. Cp was building pig feed and battery chicken prodcution in China 40 years ago. They are in every province producing food for domestic consumption.

They put everyone, capitalist, communistvor otherwise in their pocket

How the hell does a food exporter buy Ping An insurance?

Edited by Thai at Heart

40 years ago the British were advising the Chinese about pig farming.

I think it is both unfortunate and inaccurate to apply racist ideology to the interptretation of the current deal. The nation of China is a massive economic block with huge needs for both raw materials and export markets.....it is also experiencing a slowdown.

The Chinese ethnics in Thailand are of varying backgrounds but mostly left China because of persecution or economic reasons... It would be unsafe to assume they have common interests with China itself just on ethnic background...they do not necessarily share the same ideologies or aspirations as the Chinese themselves.

The main concerns should be the actual ability of the government to achieve a good deal and the total lack of any opposition to study, analyse and criticise the deal.

PS I know,work and do business with a lot of ethnic Chinese here in Thailand, and I don't cite my experiences as evidence because I realise that personal experience is seldom proper evidence.

Edited by wilcopops

I think it is both unfortunate and inaccurate to apply racist ideology to the interptretation of the current deal. The nation of China is a massive economic block with huge needs for both raw materials and export markets.....it is also experiencing a slowdown.

The Chinese ethnics in Thailand are of varying backgrounds but mostly left China because of persecution or economic reasons... It would be unsafe to assume they have common interests with China itself just on ethnic background...they do not necessarily share the same ideologies or aspirations as the Chinese themselves.

The main concerns should be the actual ability of the government to achieve a good deal and the total lack of any opposition to study, analyse and criticise the deal.

PS I know,work and do business with a lot of ethnic Chinese here in Thailand, and I don't cite my experiences as evidence because I realise that personal experience is seldom proper evidence.

Did this make the Thai news?

http://www.enghunan.gov.cn/wwwHome/201412/t20141209_1187014.htm

Xu Yousheng Meets CEO of Chia Tai Group to Discuss TV Cooperation

This was 9/12/2014. Just another day in CP doing business in China.

Denying the involvement of CPs business in China and its ability to pull results is all an exercise in denial. It has been written about extensively and can be read about very easily.

There are 200 subsidiaries in China of CP.and by some measures it is the single largest foreign agribusiness investor in China.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I thought he was meant to a be "caretaker" until a constitution and election was set up....what mandate has he for negotiating deals with the Chinese?

Well he is probably goung to be in power for quite a long time, and as he is a bit short on international approval,and the investment which goes with it, so he might as well crack on with the Chinese.

So you agree he has no mandate? - in fact it underlines the problem........ My concern is that as an unexperienced and unqualified person he is playing a game he knows little about and it is extremely likely he will fall prey to the aggressive deal brokering of the Chinese.

It really doesn't matter at all what anybody on TVF thinks about it. Thais in general and the government have no interest in what anybody on the TVF has to say. We have no power, no authority and if we are thought about at all we would be classed as the chattering class or the kaffeklatch.

The posters on here can do nothing to alter the fact that Thailand is run by Thais and they will do what THEY want to do, not what we think is a good or bad idea, or this wouldn't work in our country.

It really doesn't matter at all what anybody on TVF thinks about it. Thais in general and the government have no interest in what anybody on the TVF has to say. We have no power, no authority and if we are thought about at all we would be classed as the chattering class or the kaffeklatch.

The posters on here can do nothing to alter the fact that Thailand is run by Thais and they will do what THEY want to do, not what we think is a good or bad idea, or this wouldn't work in our country.

Agreed, but given the Thai people's antipathy toward the Chinese I doubt they are as keen on these deals as the Thai junta are. In that regard the populace have as much say as we have.

• Like 1

"The Chinese ethnics in Thailand are of varying backgrounds but mostly left China because of persecution or economic reasons... It would be unsafe to assume they have common interests with China itself just on ethnic background...they do not necessarily share the same ideologies or aspirations as the Chinese themselves."

Well, I totally agree with the above comment. The Chinese-Thais might speak a few words of Chinese/Mandarin, they might have Chinese writing on the sign outside of their company, and they look the same as the Chinese in China, but they don't regard themselves as Chinese from China.

To me, it's like looking at Americans who have English surnames. Those Americans have British ancestry, but they regard America's link with Britain to be about the same as America's link with Germany or other countries. Those Americans, surely, don't feel "it is okay if our country has strong economic links with Britain, but we don't want to see the same strong links with other countries, and we feel this way BECAUSE we are originally from Britain".

I think the Thai elite (mainly made up of Chinese-Thais) regard China just as much a foreign country as they regard America or European countries. But I think Thailand's elite almost regard China as a threat. The elite are conscious of the fact that they are the ones who own Thailand right now. They're beginning to believe that the growing influence of the new Chinese investing in and buying up of Thailand is a threat to their 'exclusive rights to' and 'monopoly of' power and control (ownership) in Thailand.

And because the Chinese-Thai elite were always backing Abhisit and the Democrats, well, that's why Abhisit and the Democrats were not actually supporting an open policy towards China.

I thought he was meant to a be "caretaker" until a constitution and election was set up....what mandate has he for negotiating deals with the Chinese?

Well he is probably goung to be in power for quite a long time, and as he is a bit short on international approval,and the investment which goes with it, so he might as well crack on with the Chinese.

So you agree he has no mandate? - in fact it underlines the problem........ My concern is that as an unexperienced and unqualified person he is playing a game he knows little about and it is extremely likely he will fall prey to the aggressive deal brokering of the Chinese.

What a fatuous post!

Whether or not they take any notice doesn't alter a considered and reasoned opinion one iota.

"The Chinese ethnics in Thailand are of varying backgrounds but mostly left China because of persecution or economic reasons... It would be unsafe to assume they have common interests with China itself just on ethnic background...they do not necessarily share the same ideologies or aspirations as the Chinese themselves."

Well, I totally agree with the above comment. The Chinese-Thais might speak a few words of Chinese/Mandarin, they might have Chinese writing on the sign outside of their company, and they look the same as the Chinese in China, but they don't regard themselves as Chinese from China.

To me, it's like looking at Americans who have English surnames. Those Americans have British ancestry, but they regard America's link with Britain to be about the same as America's link with Germany or other countries. Those Americans, surely, don't feel "it is okay if our country has strong economic links with Britain, but we don't want to see the same strong links with other countries, and we feel this way BECAUSE we are originally from Britain".

I think the Thai elite (mainly made up of Chinese-Thais) regard China just as much a foreign country as they regard America or European countries. But I think Thailand's elite almost regard China as a threat. The elite are conscious of the fact that they are the ones who own Thailand right now. They're beginning to believe that the growing influence of the new Chinese investing in and buying up of Thailand is a threat to their 'exclusive rights to' and 'monopoly of' power and control (ownership) in Thailand.

And because the Chinese-Thai elite were always backing Abhisit and the Democrats, well, that's why Abhisit and the Democrats were not actually supporting an open policy towards China.

Do you think Abhisit is in the same camp as Prayuth on this? K. P is a long time advisor to the Queen.

I think Thailand in general is keen to get their hands on some of this financing of major civil engineering projects.....but at what cost....this is a task I think should be left to those with long term experience and a public mandate.

K. Prayuth really doesn't have the credentials....some of the papers he presented on foreigners' influence in Thailand could be construed as quite xenophobic, but I would say thisthis would only cloud his judgement

• Like 1

My feeling is that China are rubbing their hands at the thought of having just one man and no opposition to deal with and will quickly try to secure a few deals that are very much in their own interests, unfortunately I suspect that Prayuth neither has the ability or back-up to arrange and sign off on these complicated international deals.

Furthermore I can't see how he can possibly see this as part of his remit in view of the statements he made before and after becoming PM.

it means any elected government, after the elections in 2016, will have the onerous task of reviewing and if necessary re-negotiating any deals he has made.

Because relations are chilly with the West and Japan, he thinks he can play the China card to trump democracy.Reality however is that China will do business with any Thai government.

The Economist argues that there may not in fact be a China card to play at all.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2014/08/thailands-asian-values

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

My feeling is that China are rubbing their hands at the thought of having just one man and no opposition to deal with and will quickly try to secure a few deals that are very much in their own interests, unfortunately I suspect that Prayuth neither has the ability or back-up to arrange and sign off on these complicated international deals.

Furthermore I can't see how he can possibly see this as part of his remit in view of the statements he made before and after becoming PM.

it means any elected government, after the elections in 2016, will have the onerous task of reviewing and if necessary re-negotiating any deals he has made.

Because relations are chilly with the West and Japan, he thinks he can play the China card to trump democracy.Reality however is that China will do business with any Thai government.

Thanks for this.

Had forgotten that CP has brought China Mobile in as a phone investor. Strike another deal for CP in China.

• Like 1

Do you think Abhisit is in the same camp as Prayuth on this? K. P is a long time advisor to the Queen.

I think Thailand in general is keen to get their hands on some of this financing of major civil engineering projects.....but at what cost....this is a task I think should be left to those with long term experience and a public mandate.

K. Prayuth really doesn't have the credentials....some of the papers he presented on foreigners' influence in Thailand could be construed as quite xenophobic, but I would say thisthis would only cloud his judgement

"Do you think Abhisit is in the same camp as Prayuth on this?". Well, if we look at the image projected by the newspapers, it certainly appears to be that the junta's pro-China policy resembles Thaksin's supposed pro-China policy far more than the Democrats and their China policy.

If Thaksin was still in charge, would he drive a harder bargain compared to the junta ? Is China smirking because the Democrats are not in charge ? Is China smirking because, because the junta is in charge ?

:)

"Do you think Abhisit is in the same camp as Prayuth on this?". Well, if we look at the image projected by the newspapers, it certainly appears to be that the junta's pro-China policy resembles Thaksin's supposed pro-China policy far more than the Democrats and their China policy.

If Thaksin was still in charge, would he drive a harder bargain compared to the junta ? Is China smirking because the Democrats are not in charge ? Is China smirking because, because the junta is in charge ?

The junta is making sure that the meat of the train contracts and spoils are coming their way. Would thaksin get a better or worse deal?

Does it matter? Whoever gets in the next govt will want paying too.

"Would Thaksin"? Don't you think this is a rather pointless false dichotomy? Surely the current concern should be that Prayuth neither has the mandate nor ability to enter into negotiations. What Thaksin would have done is neither here nor there.

Edited by wilcopops

Great article..... Again my concern would be the level of the junta's negotiating abilities.

Not that I think it would rsdicaslly change the overall message, it looks as if this was written before the junta suggested they might insist on Thai control of the boards of foreign countries, a move that brought immediate diplomatic questions from the Japanese who, as the article pointed out, still have by far the largest stake of any foreign country in the Thai economy.

There may be no "China card" but is Prayuth aware of that and can he handle it?

• Like 1

Great article..... Again my concern would be the level of the junta's negotiating abilities.

Not that I think it would rsdicaslly change the overall message, it looks as if this was written before the junta suggested they might insist on Thai control of the boards of foreign countries, a move that brought immediate diplomatic questions from the Japanese who, as the article pointed out, still have by far the largest stake of any foreign country in the Thai economy.

Jayboy, thanks for the article from the economist. A super post.

Well, yes, the point that the 'Chinese take-over of Thailand' might actually be a myth is certainly interesting. It might be true !

Now, notice that lot's of people on Thai Visa are almost obsessed about the Chinese take-over. :)

As in, constantly going on about how China taking over Thailand is not a good thing. So, the take-over might not actually be happening. And a whole load of people have read stuff in the media, they think the take-over IS happening, and they're revealing their silly anti-China views when posting on Thai Visa.

A lot of people are not actually saying that the junta's negotiating abilities can be questioned, which is what you (wilcopops) are saying. Some people on Thai Visa simply don't want to see Thailand move towards China, with or without Thaksin, with or without the junta. But if the media says that the take-over is happening, well, people will believe it. It might be the case that, it doesn't actually matter whether it's happening or not, the important thing is, is do people believe it is happening ??

And if people believe that it's happening, well, then it IS happening ! :)

Well, yes, the point that the 'Chinese take-over of Thailand' might actually be a myth is certainly interesting. It might be true !

Now, notice that lot's of people on Thai Visa are almost obsessed about the Chinese take-over. :)

As in, constantly going on about how China taking over Thailand is not a good thing. So, the take-over might not actually be happening. And a whole load of people have read stuff in the media, they think the take-over IS happening, and they're revealing their silly anti-China views when posting on Thai Visa.

A lot of people are not actually saying that the junta's negotiating abilities can be questioned, which is what you (wilcopops) are saying. Some people on Thai Visa simply don't want to see Thailand move towards China, with or without Thaksin, with or without the junta. But if the media says that the take-over is happening, well, people will believe it. It might be the case that, it doesn't actually matter whether it's happening or not, the important thing is, is do people believe it is happening ??

The Chinese aren't taking over thailand. They already have. Virtually every policy in the country is set up to protect Thai Chinese business interests. The expansion of the connection now is being facilitated by Thai Chinese businand and partnerships

They are connecting to make money. That doesn't constitute a take over to me.

The Chinese aren't taking over thailand. They already have. Virtually every policy in the country is set up to protect Thai Chinese business interests. The expansion of the connection now is being facilitated by Thai Chinese businand and partnerships

They are connecting to make money. That doesn't constitute a take over to me.

There's one!

Good to see on Thai Visa that people do actually put up good articles, like the one from the Economist.
And brilliant to see that people can actually have a discussion about whatever issue, without it descending into the usual nonsense and childish throwing of stones that we constantly see on Thai Visa !

Happy New Year, eveybody !

Any chance China will make a press release on all of this ?

Thailand very small potatoes in their quest for shipping their crap all over the World compared to this

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/31/go_west_young_han_how_chinas_new_silk_road_threatens_american_imperialism_partner/

Jpeg, you have decided to use the word 'crap' for the goods that China will export. Do you feel that the goods are 'crap' ? If the goods are crap, maybe planet earth needs to be educated about this. After all, we wouldn't want Europe to be flooded by crap.

Any chance China will make a press release on all of this ?

Thailand very small potatoes in their quest for shipping their crap all over the World compared to this

http://www.salon.com/2014/12/31/go_west_young_han_how_chinas_new_silk_road_threatens_american_imperialism_partner/

Jpeg, you have decided to use the word 'crap' for the goods that China will export. Do you feel that the goods are 'crap' ? If the goods are crap, maybe planet earth needs to be educated about this. After all, we wouldn't want Europe to be flooded by crap.

Your post is an attempt at humour, right? If not - name ONE thing China produces and has been substituded for quality owing to 'globilisation' ie allowing Western manufacturers to replace their long closed industry/workforfce cheap Chinese sh!t?

Christ, even the Thais know it's inferior huh.png

Edited by jpeg

Jpeg, the goods made in China are cheaper than goods made in Europe and America. Obviously, people do actually prefer cheaper goods from China even if the goods are not the same quality. That's why so much of the goods you see sold in America and Europe is actually 'made in China'.

Do you have stuff that is 'made in China' ? Do you regard that stuff as crap ? I'm going to see if I can find a 28 or 32 inch television that is not 'made in China'. Anyway, thanks for the article that you put up. Highly informative, I notice that THEY didn't use the word crap to describe the goods that are going to be transported. I take it that no way, are you a supporter of "let's try and reduce the amount of crap entering our market" ? Do you walk around the place buying lots of Chinese sh!t ??

rolleyes.gif