60 not 90 days for ED extensions

I went the day before Christmas and it was completely packed.

A friend of mine was also there - she was tested before me on reading/writing/speaking/listening, made a good impression on the officers, and got 90 days. I was tested a couple of hours later.

Schedule:

09:15 Arrived late thanks to clueless taxi driver, get number over 100

12:00 Shutdown for lunch

15:20 Stage 1: My test was much easier: I was asked if I could speak Thai, where I lived, where I went to school, how I got there, which stations I used. It was pretty simple (for my ability level in Thai) and no reading/writing involved. She stamped my extension for 90 days.

15:30 Stage 2: Pay money 1900 baht.

15:35 Stage 3: The official (one older guy, seems like a bigger boss) looks over my paper, warns me that my passport will expire next year, then says to wait.

16:45 My passport is handed to me. I look in the passport and notice that my 90 day stamp was crossed out and reduced to 60 days, with the big boss's signature.

One note: I took photos of my passport and printed them on my color printer. They really didn't like this but seemed to let it slide since it was so clearly legible. I recommend getting normal black and white copies.

For other reasons I had to return on Christmas day to fix a mistake that was made. I asked the stage 3 official why I only got 60 days and he said that it was the big boss's decision.

Also, as far as I could tell, there were much more people on the day before Christmas. Christmas day was comparatively empty.

• Like 1

So given OP's statement about everyone being given 60 days, it seems that the decision to do this might have been made on the very day that I went for my extension. If my taxi driver were a bit more capable, I might have gotten the full 90 days.

Edited by fishbrando
  • Like 1

Just got back from Chaengwattana immigration for my first ED visa extension.

I've been living in Thailand for 15 years, so I speak ok, but cannot read or write. Out of the 3 months I've had my ED visa, I've been to school for around 1 month. It's pretty much a waste of time; I can learn far more by self-study at home, or with help from the missus.

Took me less than a week to recite the Thai alphabet. Remembering the actual characters is much harder. So, while I could read to you the 44 consonants and 32 vowels in order, if you pointed a random one out I'd struggle.

Don't forget, I'm use to Thai pronunciation, so if you're starting from scratch it would take you a lot longer than a week. In fact, there's students in my alphabet class who have been there 2 years. They know it all, but can't pass the test to go to the next level because they have trouble with pronunciation. When they speak Thai, which some can, it's very difficult for me to understand them.

I was not expecting many people on Christmas day. I was wrong. Arrived around 8:15 to join a queue of around 200 people. Doors open at 8:30. My queue number was 19, so around 10% of those people were there for an ED extension.

There's 3 stages: 1, check documents and administer Thai "test". 2, have your photo taken and pay the 1,900baht fee. 3, collect passport.

I was out of there by 10:15, so 2 hours in total.

The first stage has 4 desks, so there's other people in there trying to "prove" they are actually studying. It's funny listening to the excuses.

The immigration staff for the most part were speaking English, but when it was my time I spoke in Thai right off the bat, so the obvious first question of "can you speak Thai" was not asked. I was asked if I could read Thai, I said, "not yet, I've only been studying for 3 months". The stern looking women then handed me a Thai form and asked if I could read it. I couldn't, but did my best to spell out the characters.

She then asked me to write my name in Thai. I did so, spelling out each character as I wrote it. She asked if I had a short version of my name, or a "nick name" if you like. I wrote that down without spelling it out, then showed her it to read, she pronounced it correctly. I was on a roll!

She wrote 4 short lines of Thai on my application form. She then told me she will give me the maximum of 60 days. I asked why not 90, and she said "everyone who passes the test today will get 60 days". Apparently this was due to a crackdown by the bosses. This led to many questions from me. She said people who have been studying a long time, if it's obvious they are not going to school, they will get 7 days. Their visa will be cancelled, effectively. Those that fail the test will get 30 days, and on the next visit have to show some improvement.

Now, I was a little paranoid at this point. I thought I'd aced the test, and wanted to know what had made her give me 60 instead of 90 days. So I asked around...

1) Some guy on his 2nd extension, never attended school. Was asked if he could speak or read Thai, he replied, "no". Was asked to write his name, he did it to the best of his ability. Result: 60 days.

2) Some lady on her 3rd extension, never attended school. Was asked to introduce herself in Thai. She did so. Result: 60 days.

3) Some guy on his 2nd extension, never attended school. Was asked *nothing*. Result: 60 days.

All those people believed they had been given 90 days. It was only when I asked to check their stamp did it reveal 60 days. They were not happy.

During stage 2, I asked the officer to explain the 4 lines of Thai writing the stage 1 officer had written. It roughly translated to:

"Can speak Thai ok"

"Cannot read much Thai"

"Can write some Thai"

"Review after 2 months"

I know a lot of you are worried about the Thai test. It seems it's down to the individual officer what, if anything, you will be asked. My advice to you is to learn at least to introduce yourself in Thai, and learn to spell your name, reading the characters out loud as you write them.

I have no idea why I got a more thorough test than the others. Maybe it was just the officer, or maybe it was because I spoke Thai and was quite talkative. I actually wanted to be tested, as I had prepared well for it.

I was never asked how many days a week I studied. My attendance report and weekly hours was a pure fabrication supplied to me by my school. I don't even think the officer looked at it.

My passport full of 60 days tourist visas and their respective extensions was never brought up. I was never asked how long I had lived in Thailand.

If you had actually used the school system of learning the alphabet rather than your own phonetic version...you would be able to identify the letters rather than just memorising the sounds of the alphabet.

I know many students at school who get 90 day extensions ...but 15 years in thailand ...now in a school and cannot read or write....no wonder they only give you 60 days..

Thais have trouble understanding how after such a long time here...you cannot read or write in thai... same as we wonder in europe when foreigners live there for such long time and cannot read or write the language of the country try they reside in...

I knew an Englishman, who had been living in Thailand more than twenty years, he could speak fluently, Northern Thai, Lao Thai, South Thai, Bangkok Thai, and Royal Thai, but he could not read or write Thai, I don't think he was embarrassed at all about that. I have been here 11 years, speak very little Thai, but I'm not embarrassed about it, I can count in Thai and order the food I like in Thai, I don't really like talking that much, so what more Thai do I need?

• Like 1

Anyhow it is bad enough to have the extension reduced to 60 days then be given 1 month (to fit the previous 3 months frame)

Are you saying that in two months, when I go for my 2nd extension, I will be given only 1 month?

That's what my school told me was done to other students

• Like 2

I'm assuming you have to pay another 1900 baht?

I imagine so. Technically, you are getting another extension, and extensions are 1,900baht. They are basically doubling their money on ED visa holders.

The immigration officer told me that at least one person the day I was there failed the "test" and was given 30 days. With that student, they could potentially triple their money, if they failed the test the next time.

I'm assuming you have to pay another 1900 baht?

I imagine so. Technically, you are getting another extension, and extensions are 1,900baht. They are basically doubling their money on ED visa holders.

The immigration officer told me that at least one person the day I was there failed the "test" and was given 30 days. With that student, they could potentially triple their money, if they failed the test the next time.

Yup

That's their way of cracking down numbers: making it so expensive time consuming and humiliating that we drop it to tourist visa, then on the second tourist visa ask us outside proof of income.

Very efficient I must say.

• Like 1

Would bringing a Thai GF with you help to get 90 days instead of 60 days only? Has it helped anyone or not?

I don't see why it would. She's not the one doing the test, and the boss, whom you won't speak to, makes the decision on the maximum time for everyone. So it seems.
There was a guy there who brought his young Thai son, he had a queue number and had to wait in line like everyone else. It didn't seem to benefit him in any way.
Now if your GF just happens to be an immigration officer, that would be a different story :)

So it seems nobody these days gets 90 day extensions anymore, it's all 60 days by the looks of things???

No one knows for sure.
This is only at Chaengwattana, and only confirmed by me (the OP) and one other member (fishbrando). Like I said, I spoke to 3 people who had all been given 60 days, although they wasn't told this, they had to check their stamps.
Hopefully more people will post their experiences.

Would bringing a Thai GF with you help to get 90 days instead of 60 days only? Has it helped anyone or not?

I don't see why it would. She's not the one doing the test, and the boss, whom you won't speak to, makes the decision on the maximum time for everyone. So it seems.
There was a guy there who brought his young Thai son, he had a queue number and had to wait in line like everyone else. It didn't seem to benefit him in any way.
Now if your GF just happens to be an immigration officer, that would be a different story smile.png

Bringing a kid with you shouldn't give anyone priority to jump the queue, that's just unfair for others who are in front of them. If that's the case then people will start hiring a poor street kid for 100 baht & bring them just to jump the queue!

Bringing a kid with you shouldn't give anyone priority to jump the queue, that's just unfair for others who are in front of them. If that's the case then people will start hiring a poor street kid for 100 baht & bring them just to jump the queue!

I agree, I only mentioned it because I've seen it suggested on these forums before, that your extension will be quicker & with less issues with a child in tow.

Just got back from my school, they confirmed 2-months extensions are now the norm. My second extension will be for 1 month.
10. Either I will have to go to Laos again, or straight to immigration to get an extension.

Check if the Thai consulate your country issues multi-entry non-imm ED visa that you could get while travelling home once a year.

If so, that could be the way to continue studying in Thailand without so much spending and hassling.

The MOE test means nothing, it's done by the school, at the school, without supervision and no ones fails.

You pay the school fees, you pass.

It's just another paper the school is obligated to provide the MOE.

What you have to worry more about, are the immigration interviews.

• Like 2

So it seems nobody these days gets 90 day extensions anymore, it's all 60 days by the looks of things??? Another way for them to ripoff us of 1900 baht quicker

You mean it's just a way to charge us 3800B per 90 days instead of 1900B.

Thinking outloud....I was going to do an ED Visa for one-year (previous ED visa was for 6-months, 2+ years ago), but maybe a multiple-entry visa is easier this time. I think I want to stay one-year,maximum, and can just take monthly courses at YMCA in CM or AUA or wherever and spend maybe 20k on classes to learn and enjoy my time. My Thai is ok, but only speaking. i could go to the consulate in USA before I go....get 3 months....and triple entry.

I forget all the paperwork fees, etc..... so curious if anyone can guess at which is a better deal, financially.

I knew an Englishman, who had been living in Thailand more than twenty years, he could speak fluently, Northern Thai, Lao Thai, South Thai, Bangkok Thai, and Royal Thai, but he could not read or write Thai, I don't think he was embarrassed at all about that. I have been here 11 years, speak very little Thai, but I'm not embarrassed about it, I can count in Thai and order the food I like in Thai, I don't really like talking that much, so what more Thai do I need?

About 30% of the Thai population can't read or write Thai.

It doesn't seem to embarrass them.

• Like 1

About 30% of the Thai population can't read or write Thai.

It doesn't seem to embarrass them.

Haha I know right, sometimes I ask my girlfriend to write something for me to clarify it and she will have to pause or sometimes even won't know how to write it. She did leave school early and has a lot more practical intelligence than intellectual though, which I think isn't all that bad.

• Like 1