Kho Tao Murders - BBC News

KhunDave

Mods please move this post to a different forum if appropriate.

This has taken me a couple of days to post as I have been on the road. On Monday 22 December at 3pm, BBC Radio 2 broadcast a news item about the UK Police report into the murders. I cannot quote it verbatim, but it referenced David and Hannah by name and stated that the UK Police had serious reservations about the strength of the evidence against the Burmese suspects.

This item in the 3pm news bulletin was not repeated in the 4pm news, and I cannot find any reference to it anywhere online. It happened though - I was not hallucinating! My guess is that the BBC have an advance copy of the report and someone mistakenly broke a press embargo. This happened during Steve Wright in the afternoon, one of the UK's most listened to radio shows. Surely I was not the only TV member listening.

So did anyone else hear this???

• Like 1

This could be a tactic by the British telling the Thais to change path now before things get messier. The Brits know that in previous similar cases, diplomatic pressure and outright criticism has yielded no results whatsoever. Thais are resistent to outside criticism.

Transcript from the audio.

The Metropolitan Police says there's confusion and inconsistencies in the investigation in Thailand into the murder of 2 British tourists on the island of Koh Tao. Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were killed in September. Scotland Yard, which is observing the Thai enquiry, says there are questions about the strength of the case against the 2 men from Burma charged with murder.

Edited by draftvader

This could be a tactic by the British telling the Thais to change path now before things get messier. The Brits know that in previous similar cases, diplomatic pressure and outright criticism has yielded no results whatsoever. Thais are resistent to outside criticism.

Seems to counter the thread where the family who have spoken with the British police felt the evidence was good. I will go with whatever the British police has to say. More so as anyone on Thaivisa, they looked at the evidence and are professionals. So if they say its weak evidence then I follow their lead otherwise if they say it is good evidence I go with them too.

Rob

I think when the BBC quote a Metropolitan Police statement, all parties will have been very careful about the wording and the consequences of the statement. This was no error.

The other thread is open to subjective interpretation.

There is no confusion or contradiction for me here.

• Like 1

Rob

I think when the BBC quote a Metropolitan Police statement, all parties will have been very careful about the wording and the consequences of the statement. This was no error.

The other thread is open to subjective interpretation.

There is no confusion or contradiction for me here.

I wonder when they come out with some of the proof, if they have doubts.. let them show it.

I know Thais don't like outside interference but why would they then respond to a small nudge like this ?

Agree with Briggsy. My only concern is why this was announced at all if they weren't to follow it up with ANY online presence whatsoever. Why was this the 3rd item in the news. Was there anything interesting happening in politics at 10pm on Tuesday here?

I am not doubting the veracity of the statement or the legitimacy of it. My concern is the reasoning. Tactic, as suggested earlier, or broken embargo?

Edited by draftvader

I believe that a game of poker may be going on. The Thais have upped the stakes by indicting the Burmese. The Met have now stated publicly that they have serious reservations. The Burmese Govt. have stated they are innocent.

The next move is probably the Thais. There is no point the Met showing their hand at this stage.

I have to agree that this is gamesmanship. The simple truth is that the BBC do not run an item incorrectly without apologising for it. Running it just once in a fairly inconspicuous location and no sign of it online...anywhere that I have been able to dig up anyway. Maybe there was a quiet "Hey Mr Thai consulate London, listen to Radio 2 at 3pm" phone call.

Just can't conceive of this being a mistake without the BBC making a song and dance over it as they always do in that situation.