Thai price / Foreigner price

johncat1

As a foreigner who has been retired in Thailand since 2006, and has spent a lot of time there in the past going all the way back to 1984, I have to disagree strongly with the view of this individual. The price that the Thais are asking I am sure is very little compared to the service that is offered. Thais are NOT greedy, nor are they doing something that is what I would call bad. The extra money would most likely be used to maintain the zoo (in that case) simply because the local economy is not in a position to maintain it in a way that it should. Therefore, I would ask the writer to reconsider his/her position. Mahalo and Aloha to all.

So discounts for people on low income is your position? It is the fact it is based on race that you are missing.

Not sure about Zoo's,ect,but if you show a Thai driving licence at national parks, you get the Thai price.

Never has worked for me. This month alone National Park on Koh Lanta (80 baht Thai/400 baht foreigner) and Phuping Palace in Chiang Mai refused to give me the Thai price.

• Like 2

In some other (unnamed) expat friendly countries the retired foreigner pays the retirement discounted price. All prices are the same for foreigners and locals alike. BY LAW. Blatant discrimination in Thailand and some other SE Asia countries against older foreigners is a big stain on all the local people and the whole country that will be talked about for a long time. It benefits a few greedy locals but costs the whole country much more. Asian greed and stupidity has no boundaries. That is why I tip zip and never recommend Thailand to anyone. Some will call this Thai bashing but is the truth and nothing but the truth. bah.gif

• Like 1

OP, I'm against the 2 tier prices also.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

Recently, after obtaining the Yellow book, I pay Thai prices.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

The problem is that not all foreigners earn more than Thais.

I think nearly all my Thai friends earn more (some much much more) than me. They back me up when we go to national parks and places where I have to pay four times what they pay.

Yes, my Thai friends call it racism.

Often is NOT a cheaper rate for residents (as some people mention) as the price difference is based on skin colour alone.

• Like 1

OP, I'm against the 2 tier prices also.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

Recently, after obtaining the Yellow book, I pay Thai prices.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

Sorry mate but I disagree with your statement "Thai's are not racist" Thais are like other people around the world, some are racist and some not.

eg: many Thai's have a saying, ; If you see a snake and a kack (Indian) or (middle eastern) kack kao on the road, first kill the kack because it is more dangerous.

Some Thai's hate westerners due to jealousy, or they loose girlfriends or wives to western men.

And some are falang haters like Suthep who have made open statements that he has no respect for foreigner's.

and yes many Thais do like us also.

As for the 2 tier pricing system, I don't like it but that's the gig for many but not all people, I believe that in the last constitution (now not in effect) it was illegal for this,

I wonder how you would go showing that constitutional law in say a government controlled museum or something of that nature? think there might be some flustered people making calls to the manager and maybe some back peddling? but good for a laughw00t.gif

• Like 1

The swimming pool the city runs near my home charges more for non-residents than residents. Here in America. Happens all over.

People in these forums try to single out Thai people as being different. However, there are not a lot of differences among people for the very most part. Anyway.

• Like 2

The argument, 'their country their rules' becomes a little less solid when a foreigner is charged a higher price for medical care in a private hospital, a price which might exclude the foreigner from the treatment or deter the foreigner seeking early medical investigation/treatment.

As I stated earlier: I can understand a dual pricing it's just that the difference is to big!

The grand palace and wat Prakaew:

Thai free/ foreigners 500Baht

Ho Chi Min Museum Hanoi:

Vietnamese free/ foreigners 10,000VND... 15Baht

Many museums in Vietnam have same price for all but discounts for students and elderly. Even the aquarium in Hanoi have same price for all visitors.

And what I have seen in Laos its the same, same price for tourists as for Laotians.

And in my home country I even seen discounts for tourists on some tourist attractions!!!

• Like 1

Charging a higher fee for foreigners isn't racist. Its homophobic.

A guy from hell has to explain it all to you. Who would have thought that the hate of gays caused such nuisance.

Homophobic=unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals or homosexuality.

Now you're just being claustrophobic.

It irritates me when the honorable members of this forum continue using senseless terms such as race or racist. There is no such thing as a Thai race in Thailand. Ethnic groups are Tai, Malayo-Polynesian, Sino-Tibetan, Hmong-Mien, and Austroasiatic. Thaification and Thai Nationalism began in the 1920s when Chinese surnames were replaced by awfully long Thai names. The majority of the Thai people belong to the Tai group. Hmong who have been here generations longer than the Tai are still struggling to be recognized as Citizens.

Foreigners having to pay more at public parks belong to all kinds of ethnic groups themselves. Race is not an issue.

One could argue that Thais are xenophobic. Aside from religion, Xenophobia is the driving force for nationalism in many countries.

There are many phobias. Some Thais don't like Farangs because of Bromidrophobia (fear of bad body smells), some guys suffer from Medomalacuphobia (fear of losing an erection). Soi Cowboy bashers may suffer from Cyprinophobia (fear of prostitutes or venereal disease). Many TV members seem to be gnosiophobic (fear of knowledge).

After this sermon, you might develop Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (the fear of long words).

Edited by CapeCobra
  • Like 2

It irritates me when the honorable members of this forum continue using senseless terms such as race or racist. There is no such thing as a Thai race in Thailand. Ethnic groups are Tai, Malayo-Polynesian, Sino-Tibetan, Hmong-Mien, and Austroasiatic. Thaification and Thai Nationalism began in the 1920s when Chinese surnames were replaced by awfully long Thai names. The majority of the Thai people belong to the Tai group. Hmong who have been here generations longer than the Tai are still struggling to be recognized as Citizens.

Foreigners having to pay more at public parks belong to all kinds of ethnic groups themselves. Race is not an issue.

One could argue that Thais are xenophobic. Aside from religion, Xenophobia is the driving force for nationalism in many countries.

There are many phobias. Some Thais don't like Farangs because of Bromidrophobia (fear of bad body smells), some guys suffer from Medomalacuphobia (fear of losing an erection). Soi Cowboy bashers may suffer from Cyprinophobia (fear of prostitutes or venereal disease). Many TV members seem to be gnosiophobic (fear of knowledge).

After this sermon, you might develop Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia (the fear of long words).

Supercalifragilisticexpialidoucious...w00t.gif ..cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Haha, good one. That sexy flying bitch. When I was 12 I learned antidisestablishmentarianism to be the longest word, but now, a little wiser, I found pneumonoultramicro-scopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, which has 45 letters and is a disease of the lungs caused by inhaling very fine irritant particles.

Back to the main subject.

The argument, 'their country their rules' becomes a little less solid when a foreigner is charged a higher price for medical care in a private hospital, a price which might exclude the foreigner from the treatment or deter the foreigner seeking early medical investigation/treatment.

I'm not sure that I see your point; could't you say the same about a Thai in the UK, having to pay for medical treatment when a local gets it free on the NHS?

The same would apply to that same Thai travelling to Oz, where the locals get free medical treatment on Medicare, whereas a Thai would have to pay upwards of $60 just to see a doctor, with no Medicare subsidy on (outrageously overpriced) pharmaceuticals.

If you are making the point that the cost of private treatment should be the same to all, then I agree with you there.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

I'm not sure that I see your point; could't you say the same about a Thai in the UK, having to pay for medical treatment when a local gets it free on the NHS?

The same would apply to that same Thai travelling to Oz, where the locals get free medical treatment on Medicare, whereas a Thai would have to pay upwards of $60 just to see a doctor, with no Medicare subsidy on (outrageously overpriced) pharmaceuticals.

If you are making the point that the cost of private treatment should be the same to all, then I agree with you there.

Well let me deal with this is parts"

Comparison to the UK NHS:

The UK NHS provides health care 'Free at the Point of Need' to anyone who presents themselves in need of medical attention at a medical practice or hospital, regardless of nationality or immigration status.

The Thai Private Hospitals are businesses, charging fees for their services, those charging foreigners at a higher rate are making a decision on charging based upon the nationality of the patient, regardless of immigration status.

Where the UK NHS is providing care when needed, the pricing practice of charging foreigners more for treatment is a 'business practice' which acts as a barrier to treatment for foreigners.

Medicare in OZ

Correct, Oz Medicare would not provide free health care for someone who does not have OZ medicare insurance, but then an Australian who had lived many years overseas and had no Medicare Insurance would be presented with exactly the same bill as a Thai national (or any other foreigner) who has no Medicare insurance.

Am I making a point that Private Medical Treatment should be the same price for all.

Yes I am.

More specifically that the differential pricing of medical care in private hospitals in Thailand acts as a barrier to foreign residents of Thailand receiving the care they need.

Expats, specifically those willing to bend over and take whatever is thrust up them, seldom like to address this issue, but it is of vital importance to all expats that they have access to affordable health care.

Dual priced health care in Thailand is a disgraceful example of exactly how money grubbing Thai businesses can be when it comes to foreigners, whom they perceive as an endless supply of easy cash.

Haha, good one. That sexy flying bitch. When I was 12 I learned antidisestablishmentarianism to be the longest word, but now, a little wiser, I found pneumonoultramicro-scopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, which has 45 letters and is a disease of the lungs caused by inhaling very fine irritant particles.

Try learning the Thai name for Bangkok, then the Thais may give you Thai prices.

Try learning the Thai name for Bangkok, then the Thais may give you Thai prices.

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Or just for short... Krung Thep

• Like 1

Am I making a point that Private Medical Treatment should be the same price for all.

Yes I am.

More specifically that the differential pricing of medical care in private hospitals in Thailand acts as a barrier to foreign residents of Thailand receiving the care they need.

Expats, specifically those willing to bend over and take whatever is thrust up them, seldom like to address this issue, but it is of vital importance to all expats that they have access to affordable health care.

Dual priced health care in Thailand is a disgraceful example of exactly how money grubbing Thai businesses can be when it comes to foreigners, whom they perceive as an endless supply of easy cash.

There is a dual pricing system for Thai hospitals but only Falungs down on their luck would want to go there. 50 people to a ward.

All the decent hospitals like Bangkok Nursing, Bangkok Hospital, Samitiwej etc. are the same price for Thais and Falungs but most Thais can't afford them and they don't accept the 30 Baht scheme. I left out Bumungrad because it mainly caters for medical tourists.

All these hospitals have discount schemes which are available to Falungs and Thais.

• Like 1

What I find amusing is that most farangs seem to genuinely believe that Thai "racism" is justified when non-white racial groups are the victims but the minute they have to pay a little extra for a national park, they cry like pussies.

If that's the extent of the racism they suffer, shouldn't they be thankful that it's at least in a form that they can avoid without actually having to get on a plane?

• Like 1

Well let me deal with this is parts"

Comparison to the UK NHS:

The UK NHS provides health care 'Free at the Point of Need' to anyone who presents themselves in need of medical attention at a medical practice or hospital, regardless of nationality or immigration status.

The Thai Private Hospitals are businesses, charging fees for their services, those charging foreigners at a higher rate are making a decision on charging based upon the nationality of the patient, regardless of immigration status.

Where the UK NHS is providing care when needed, the pricing practice of charging foreigners more for treatment is a 'business practice' which acts as a barrier to treatment for foreigners.

Medicare in OZ

Correct, Oz Medicare would not provide free health care for someone who does not have OZ medicare insurance, but then an Australian who had lived many years overseas and had no Medicare Insurance would be presented with exactly the same bill as a Thai national (or any other foreigner) who has no Medicare insurance.

Yes I am.

On the NHS - I wasn't aware of the point of need emergency treatment for anyone. Makes me proud to be British. But I'm still not sure that this includes our travelling Thai, and that anyone is eligible, this from Wikipedia (which can be wrong sometimes):

Eligibility for free NHS services is based on having "permanent residence status" (a birthright for some or granted by the Home Office for those who have immigrated). The person must be registered with a general practitioner and have an NHS card and number. This will include overseas students with a visa to study at a recognized institution for 6 months or more, but not visitors on a tourist visa for example.

Citizens of the EU holding a valid European Health Insurance Card and persons from certain other countries with which the UK has reciprocal arrangements concerning health care can likewise get emergency treatment without charge.

On Medicare, you describe it as 'insurance', but it is in face a universal cover for anyone who is an Aussie or an Aussie PR. Not paying in (via the Medicare levy on your salary) does not mean that your Medicare card is revoked. As you say, it can be revoked if you become non-resident for too long. The point here though, is the foreigner would need to pay whereas the Aussie wouldn't.

We're in agreement on your last point - that private hospitals here are money grubbing businesses. All the more important to take out health insurance when we live abroad, as is advised by our governments when we apply for our passports.

Thais being faced with large bills for hospital treatment while abroad, while the local get it for free, could be forgiven for (simplistically) thinking that foreigners should pay more for it here.

Edited by dbrenn

I think in "most" of these places it's effectively a discounted Resident's Price and Non-Resident's Price. Pretty much the same as happens all over the planet.

ScreenShot2014-12-26at093937am_zps61a921

And where does it say how much the discount is for Disney World? It doesn't, so not much of an example really. In any case even know f there is a discount for being a Floridian rather than for a discount for an annual pass which makes sense, then the discount is based on where you live rather than the fact you are of a different race. The latter is discrimination and objectionable.

Sheesh! I can't post the contents of the entire website for you - you'll have to get off your virtual arse and check it out. Alternatively, you can just have a good moan if it makes you feel better. coffee1.gif

A Thai working legally in the UK would get free medical treatment

There is no distinction just because of skin colour

Yes I am.

There is a dual pricing system for Thai hospitals but only Falungs down on their luck would want to go there. 50 people to a ward.

All the decent hospitals like Bangkok Nursing, Bangkok Hospital, Samitiwej etc. are the same price for Thais and Falungs but most Thais can't afford them and they don't accept the 30 Baht scheme. I left out Bumungrad because it mainly caters for medical tourists.

All these hospitals have discount schemes which are available to Falungs and Thais.

You are completely wrong there.

Bangkok Hospital has several rates depending on whether you are a foreigner on holiday , a foreigner living and working here or a Thai national.

I know from personal experience where a quote was reduced by nearly 40% after I produced my work permit.

A Thai friend called the hospital to ask for a quote for the same operation. 50 % cheaper than they quoted me.

Needless to say I dropped them and found another private hospital at a third of BGH price.

midzo, on 27 Dec 2014 - 08:00, said:
marko kok prong, on 26 Dec 2014 - 11:57, said:

Not sure about Zoo's,ect,but if you show a Thai driving licence at national parks, you get the Thai price.

Never has worked for me. This month alone National Park on Koh Lanta (80 baht Thai/400 baht foreigner) and Phuping Palace in Chiang Mai refused to give me the Thai price.

I hope you didn't pay and showed them a clean pair of heels.