Phuket Christmas woe for Brit driver

webfact

What an ass running away like a coward.

And what a pathetic noddy outfit that can't keep their equipment working.(so they say).

Particularly during this season of opportunity.

2500+ post and you know this little about the ways of the LOS.

Line 1. So he was not beaten up as was likely to happen

Line 2. You actually answered that one yourself.

Line 3 Opportunity knocked loudly at the correct door and was presumably invited in with open arms hands.

People always seem to condemn the Thais for running (i know i do) this guy should get a lot more flack too. He should know better and the alcohol thing stinks too. Just because he is a Brit many wont comment.

There were no injuries to others, and he did go to the police station and turn himself in. He admitted guilt and paid for damages. A lot different from what we see with many Thai males (like bus drivers and ferry captains). He was elderly and lived in LOS, and was possibly concerned for his safety because of his familiarity with "Thai justice."

The alcohol testing could have been done hours later, and his level at time of accident calculated. But Thai police probably have no idea how to do this. So the police dropped the ball here (perhaps when reaching out for some cash).

In the States, he would have been charged for leaving the scene, and could/should have been here, too. But all Thais care about is compensation. I expect he paid that through the nose.

Sure.. exactly as I expected.. Thai guys get the full load while a foreigner running of does not. Right on par with Thaivisa. The guy ran.. later understood he would be traced back because of his car and turned himself in. Does not sound good to me. Quite possibly paid off the cops.. He was seen speeding.

But good to know that there are 2 sets of standards.. one for foreigners and one for Thais to bash.

I'm not by any measure defending him. Especially if he was legally intoxicated. But don't blame me if the cops took tea money. Or that they can't maintain their equipment.

He quickly turned himself in and accepted blame and made restitution, whereas many Thais run and never come back.

I don't know Thai law, but I do know western law. If you are involved in an accident it is an affirmative defense to the charge of "leaving the scene" if your failure to stop or to remain on scene was the result of a reasonable belief your personal safety was at risk, and that you notified law enforcement as soon as it was safe to do so.

So maybe he was indeed concerned for his safety. I don't know, and neither do you or anyone else on this thread.

But if you, or anybody here, knows the law in LOS is different, feel free to quote it.

And since when do "Thai guys" get the full load? You mean the few hundred baht the truck driver had to pay for mowing down two foreign bicyclists? You mean the ferry captain who has never been fined a single baht?

He was probably on the sauce from my experience with English during this period its highly likely (nice being able to generalize just like everyone does about Thais and other nationalities).

The fact that the machine does not work might stem from a donation from his side. He just went away go get some help in translating and lowering the bribe. He probably did not want to do it himself as he probably did not speak the language (different version of yours but plausible)

Thais always get the full load here on the forum and get crucified for stuff like this. They always put them in a bad light with generalizing (just like i did based on my experience with Brits but you will see that there will be much more resistance against this when it applies to a farang especially one from the UK)

As for the risk of staying.. sorry but I have not read any article about people getting beat up after an accident all year. If its such a common thing then there should be more info about it.

Nice isnt it a nice bash based on generalization ... that is how most post go when its about Thais.

I'm betting it costs a bit to have the breathalyser not to work.

I agree with you, caused they could bring him to the next hospital for a blood test, but they are very desperate after money.

1,000 baht fine for refusing to be analyzed.

I agree with you, caused they could bring him to the next hospital for a blood test, but they are very desperate after money.

I actually read something today, pretty sure its been increased to 20,000 baht and some jail time as of now

I actually read something today, pretty sure its been increased to 20,000 baht and some jail time as of now
Yes, so it was 1,000 baht when the Brit had his woes. So no need at all to bribe.