Stolen Passport

kankaroo

Just had my UK passport stolen after a visa run to Poipet (ironic eh, almost 10 hours on a bus and all the hassle involved for nothing), 2 days ago. My question is what do I have to do to get a new one ie : reporting to police, immigration ,issues etc. The reason is I don't have a copy of my passport only a note of it's number. + I have an old passport with all pages used and Thai / foreign bank cards as ID.

What a pain in the ass I never thought this would happen to me as I am normally very carefull and normally thought that people who got their PP stolen were too complacent.

Damnit ! :o

Unlucky mate, but don’t beat yourself up about it as these things happen. You need to report it to the police and to the British Embassy. Check out their website on http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065714374339

Looks like you will need to go down there with the police report, 2 passport photos, ID if you have any and about 7000 Thai Baht (ouch!). Like I said, these things happen, don’t feel embarrassed about it as the embassy staff must be so used to it they won’t even bat an eyelid.

Cheers, yeah I thought that was how the process went. Not beating myself up too much as the reason was that I had a good few drinks while in Cambodia before I arrived at the border. Must of looked like an easy target. Weird thing was though that my wallet/cards were in the exact same compartment of my bag and they didn't touch it, weird?

Gonna stay real sober at the border from now on though ! :o

Just had my UK passport stolen after a visa run to Poipet (ironic eh, almost 10 hours on a bus and all the hassle involved for nothing), 2 days ago. My question is what do I have to do to get a new one ie : reporting to police, immigration ,issues etc. The reason is I don't have a copy of my passport only a note of it's number. + I have an old passport with all pages used and Thai / foreign bank cards as ID.

What a pain in the ass I never thought this would happen to me as I am normally very carefull and normally thought that people who got their PP stolen were too complacent.

happened to me in Bali 8 years ago lost everythig money everything - report to police first get a statement then go to embassy new pp then immigration lots of hazzle im afraid

Just checked the embassy website and got all the info but I just KNOW there is going to be some crazy problems along the way T.I.T afterall - anyone envy my upcoming day of beareucratic sanuk? :o , nope thought not.

And 7000 baht ouch! indeed.

Only OK thing was my pages were almost full anyway.

Keep your s**** safe while travelling !

:D

Cheers, yeah I thought that was how the process went. Not beating myself up too much as the reason was that I had a good few drinks while in Cambodia before I arrived at the border. Must of looked like an easy target. Weird thing was though that my wallet/cards were in the exact same compartment of my bag and they didn't touch it, weird?

Gonna stay real sober at the border from now on though ! :o

:D

So you had your passport, crossed into Cambodia, had a few drinks, and when you went to return into Thailand, you noticed your passport was gone ? Or did it go missing after getting your re-entry into Thailand ?

Did the visa-run company handle the arrangements for the Cambodian visa and stamps, or did you do it yourself (like I do) ?

Any ways. Go to the embassy, report it stolen and apply for a new passport. The embassy should take care of reporting the stolen passport, so that if someone tries to use it at a border crossing it will be noticed.

It's mostly an inconvenience to you. The embassy should be used to dealing with these matters. I've seen people with passports that came out of washing machines or chewed on by pets, and otherwise damaged.

Yeah, I thought I've been to Poipet sooo many times for a stamp but never really took a look around so I jumped on a motodop and went for a Khmer meal and a good few Anchor beer's.

When I got back to Thailand I went to a restraunt and had another couple of beers in some place and had my bag sitting besides me. However I was talking to a bunch of Thai's in the restraunt and having a good laugh.

They must of realised I was worse for wear and distracted me while one of their mates robbed my bag. Still can't beleive they didnt take my wallet etc as the passport was in the same part of my bag as the wallet and my MP3 player (which they also lifted). Eventually a Thai copper came to the bar and moved them along, it wasn't untill I found thi suspicious I check my bag and realised I had been done, but still had my wallet, thats the only good thing that came out of it I suppose.

Be prepared for having extra trouble/check at the Thai emmigration in the future as the "passport stolen" pops up on the computer even with your new passport and requires an extra notation or whatever on the arrivial card by the officer.

After several years of that - I contacted my embassy. They told me to write them a letter explaining the hassle which they then gave to emmigration - who cleared the "passport stolen" pop-up.

Cheers!

Just a little tip, I had 2 shirts made, the pockets have Velcro flap fastenings and big enough to take my passport and wallet tickets etc. a good dip wont have much problems but the average chancer wont bother.

Les . :o

Thats a top tip Mr Jones. I was going to suggest something similar myself. If anyone out there can't be bothered getting a shirt made, try one of those 'Camel Trophy' shirts that you can buy at Pratunam. Some of them have really large chest pockets with velcro on them, and are made from cotton so are comfortable for the arduous bus journey.

Only OK thing was my pages were almost full anyway.

:o

Now that's positive thinking and sorry for the trouble.

I understand for all embassies, however, routine, as it happens so often.

They have some extra work, for which you pay the fee, you have a lot more of runing around. :D

With your new PP application make sure you have biometrically correct photos taken otherwise the Embassy can't accept them. Go to their website to see what the requirements are - do NOT smile.

Thanks to the US and Homeland Security for that . . .

more info please.

how did that happen ?

i travell every 3 months and have never had this happen but it possibly could so im trying to know every angle.

cheers

more info please.

how did that happen ?

i travell every 3 months and have never had this happen but it possibly could so im trying to know every angle.

cheers

dont worry as i read your explanation.

be carefull next time , not so much larger.

cheers

With your new PP application make sure you have biometrically correct photos taken otherwise the Embassy can't accept them. Go to their website to see what the requirements are - do NOT smile.

Thanks to the US and Homeland Security for that . . .

This is a good point.

The international standard for the photo is a mug shot;

45mm x 35mm

Many countries will not accept inkjet or obviously digital photos, it has to be on photographic paper.

Looking direcly at camera

Reasonable quality image, not light, not dark, not grainy.

Light or white background

No smiling "neutral expression"

Taken within 6 months of aplication.

On the photo the measurement from the chin to the crown of the head (under the hair) is between 32-36mm

Make sure that both eyes are visable, no hair or glasses in the way

Although the standard does not say so remove glasses, if there is any flare on the lens they will reject the photo, I save redoing photo by asking the customer to remove them even if the need them to see past their nose.

The Dutch have a variation, instead of chin to crown measurement, they require the width of the face to be 18-20mm from ear to ear.

There are some countries that do not follow this standard at all, they have different sizes, USA, Canada, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland so check with the embassy before getting photo taken.

Don't forget to go to Immigration to get a stamp in your new passport.

Bingo. That's a very excellent point. I had everything stolen in Yojakarta 2 years ago, travelling on a groggy morning that should've been postponed. After the hel_l of making contact with friends in the U.S. in the middle of nowhere Indonesia, dealing with the police, and travelling to the American Embassy in Surabaya, I finally got a new passport and more money and moved on to Bali. No one told me that I needed a new stamp in my replacement passport. On the way out of the country, I almost missed my flight because Indonesian airport immigration made me leave the airport and run to the immigration office outside the airport. I will never forget to get a stamp on a replacement passport again.

More than that: when I lost my US passport and got a new one, the Thai Immigration police cancelled whatever current visa I was on (a nearly new one-year B multi-entry) and only gave me a free "get out of Thailand" stamp. I had to leave Thailand and start over.

However, the nice Thai lady at the US embassy says that shouldn't have happened. It did.

Head immediate to the next Policestation , report the incident.

The police will make a blotter report.

After that ,bring the blotter report (the police will give you a copy) to your embassy and secure a new passport or any other temporary official document.

Then take your passport/document with the blotter report to the Immigration Office (Visa Division 4 ) , which is located in the Immigration Department in Soi Suan Phlu,off Sathorn Road.

They will re-stamp/validate your document

Good luck

Edited by visarunner