Legal name change process in Thailand.

simple1

I am trying to assist a friend of my stepson who has dual Thai / Australian citizenship. He is travelling to Thailand next year & whilst in Thailand wishes to change his surname from his Thai father’s name (never met him) to his Western step father’s name.

I do not believe there are any legal issues regarding property ownership etc. The guy is aware of the potential for conscription and so on. However, can anyone factually advise the name change process within Thailand?

Thanks…

Our granddaughter did the same. Father (no legal marriage) not seen for more than 10 years.

Changed to mothers name.

Not much more than a visit at the local amphoe (district office, citizens register).

Small fee (100? or so).

My wife assured me: father did not have to sign (which I would have expected).

Changing to Western step father’s name:

either they accept a self determined transcription to Thai script or they will need an official translation (transcript).

A name in western script will not be registered to the Thai citizen register.

On the other hand:

he will get a Thai ID card with his name in Thai (legally the official name) AND the name in western script.

So make sure that the name in western script is really identical with step fathers name.

In our famliy (granddaugthers) I found three different (!) names in western script for the identical Thai name biggrin.png

(ending with ...jan ...chan ...chans, the latter one being most ridicolous)

What about the name change being reflected in his Australian documents?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Our granddaughter did the same. Father (no legal marriage) not seen for more than 10 years.

Changed to mothers name.

Not much more than a visit at the local amphoe (district office, citizens register).

Small fee (100? or so).

either they accept a self determined transcription to Thai script or they will need an official translation (transcript).

On the other hand:

he will get a Thai ID card with his name in Thai (legally the official name) AND the name in western script.

So make sure that the name in western script is really identical with step fathers name.

In our famliy (granddaugthers) I found three different (!) names in western script for the identical Thai name biggrin.png

Thanks - yes I am aware getting the phonetics correct. My step son's Thai passport was issued in the name of Anthonee as opposed to Anthony! Name change is easily acheived in Oz by way of a Deed Poll.

As he is 19 years old, can you clarify if the name change request at the Amphur needs to be witnessed by a local Thai family member or two?

I assume its a generic issue, so would there be any security ID issue if he obtained a new Thai passport in Thailand, then departed Thailand and re-entered Oz on his Oz passport in his prior name?

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I'm attempting to do the same, I have dual citizenships with two completely different names. My western last name is even different from my thai last name. Unfortunately I do not have any family members living in Thailand anymore and my residency is registered in Bangkok (In a different province), does anyone know if I'd be able to change my name in Bangkok? (I travel a lot and the 2 passports traveling system has gotten me into some mild troubles in the past because the names don't match)

Also, my thai last name is my mother's last name, which I'd also be interested in changing it to match my western last name, all the documents I can provide is my Thai ID, household registration book (The blue book) and my foreign passport (Though I have been advised by my Thai colleague not to show my foreign passport at the amphor, she doesn't have a reason for that though. I am working in Thailand on my Thai ID and not paying taxes back home, if I showed the amphor my foreign passport will they link my thai ID to my foreign ID or keep it as a record of any kind?)

I'd be very, very grateful if anyone can provide any input, many thanks in advance.

I had my name changed last year. I went to the district under which my house is registered and went to that place where they issue ID cards (amphoe). Took about 15min and they changed my name without problems.

Edited by Stan42

Hi all,

I'm attempting to do the same, I have dual citizenships with two completely different names. My western last name is even different from my thai last name. Unfortunately I do not have any family members living in Thailand anymore and my residency is registered in Bangkok (In a different province), does anyone know if I'd be able to change my name in Bangkok? (I travel a lot and the 2 passports traveling system has gotten me into some mild troubles in the past because the names don't match)

Also, my thai last name is my mother's last name, which I'd also be interested in changing it to match my western last name, all the documents I can provide is my Thai ID, household registration book (The blue book) and my foreign passport (Though I have been advised by my Thai colleague not to show my foreign passport at the amphor, she doesn't have a reason for that though. I am working in Thailand on my Thai ID and not paying taxes back home, if I showed the amphor my foreign passport will they link my thai ID to my foreign ID or keep it as a record of any kind?)

I'd be very, very grateful if anyone can provide any input, many thanks in advance.

Different circumstance, but my Thai stepson changed his Western name (from blood father) to his mother's Thai surname at an Amphur. What was required was his birth certificate and two signed Thai witness statements (form obtained from the Amphur). The name change document was used to obtain a new Thai ID card, Thai & foreign passports and change to the Blue Book in the new surname. You may want to cross check the process & I understand the best way would be to contact:

Ministry of Justice

120 Moo 3, Building A Road Rd Lak Si, Bangkok 10210.

Tel: 0-2141-5100

http://www.moj.go.th/en/

Alternatively arrange a meeting with a senior representative of your local Amphur

Hi all,

I'm attempting to do the same, I have dual citizenships with two completely different names. My western last name is even different from my thai last name. Unfortunately I do not have any family members living in Thailand anymore and my residency is NOT registered in Bangkok (In a different province), does anyone know if I'd be able to change my name in Bangkok? (I travel a lot and the 2 passports traveling system has gotten me into some mild troubles in the past because the names don't match)

Oops, a little typo, my residency is not registered in Bangkok and I am hoping I can change my name here in Bangkok instead of the province my residency is registered in.

Hi all,

Different circumstance, but my Thai stepson changed his Western name (from blood father) to his mother's Thai surname at an Amphur. What was required was his birth certificate and two signed Thai witness statements (form obtained from the Amphur). The name change document was used to obtain a new Thai ID card, Thai & foreign passports and change to the Blue Book in the new surname. You may want to cross check the process & I understand the best way would be to contact:

Ministry of Justice

120 Moo 3, Building A Road Rd Lak Si, Bangkok 10210.

Tel: 0-2141-5100

http://www.moj.go.th/en/

Alternatively arrange a meeting with a senior representative of your local Amphur

THank you very much.

I had my name changed last year. I went to the district under which my house is registered and went to that place where they issue ID cards (amphoe). Took about 15min and they changed my name without problems.

Thanks Stan, may I ask what documents were required for the name change? Did you change your last name as well or was it just your first name?

Thanks Stan, may I ask what documents were required for the name change? Did you change your last name as well or was it just your first name?

Neither. Farangs usually have three names, a first name, a middle name, and a last name. Thai's do not have a middle name. When I was born and got registered, my first and middle name were stuck together. When I wanted to renewed my passport 2 years ago the name on my Thai passport had to be the same as the name on my ID card. So I basically had to change the name on my Thai ID card to first name and last name, leaving my middle name out.

If I remember correctly, the documents required were my original birth certificate, and most importantly my registered name (tabien baan). As said before this should be done at the office where you are registered with. My first try was in Klong Toei, where I live obviousy, but I had to go to the Prakhanong district, where my house is and where I'm officially registered. Just to be prepared I brought along the aforementioned old passport, ID card, and most importantly house registration papers (tabien baan). Since it was only a matter of pressing the space bar between my first and middle name, it wasn't a big hassle.

Changed to mothers name.

Small fee (100? or so).

On the other hand:

If he has 2 passports, both an Australian and a Thai passport, the passports must be in exactly the same names.

For example, it is legal to have duel nationalities. If the guy leaves Thailand on his Thai passport and shows his Australian passport on arrival back in Australia, he will have to explain that he has duel nationality, which requires all passports registered in the same name. My daughter traveled to the States last year. Prior to the journey her American passport had her first, middle and surname, but the Thai passport only had her first and surname. So she went to our local amphur office, placed all her names on her Thai ID card then went and bought a new Thai passport, all done in a day. So both passports were then in exactly the same names.

If the guy travels from Thailand to Australia or vice version and the passports do not match in exactly the same names, then each country will not official recognize that he has duel citizenship, meaning that he would require a visa to travel to Australian using his Thai passport or a visa to remain in Thailand on his Australian passport.

• 8 years later...
On 6/20/2015 at 12:13 AM, Beetlejuice said:

If the guy travels from Thailand to Australia or vice version and the passports do not match in exactly the same names, then each country will not official recognize that he has duel citizenship, meaning that he would require a visa to travel to Australian using his Thai passport or a visa to remain in Thailand on his Australian passport.

Names need to be the same but what about birth dates?

Do they need to match?

Does Australian/Thai immigration really want to see the other countries passport?

Also, this comment re needing a visa if the names don’t match doesn’t make sense to me. If you enter Australia with an Australian passport why would you need a visa.

Edited by BaanOz