which is the best Mexican restaurant in pattaya, now not too expensive?

bapoboy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The general consensus seems to be that all Mexican restaurants here are quite expensive, and that none are very authentic or very good, but that some are worse than others.

So rather like Indian restaurants.

Agree somewhat ... but in my opinion there are some half decent Indian choices now in town, unlike Mexican.

The general consensus seems to be that all Mexican restaurants here are quite expensive, and that none are very authentic or very good, but that some are worse than others.

Agree somewhat ... but in my opinion there are some half decent Indian choices now in town, unlike Mexican.

Yes, I was unfair. Some of the Indians are OK, though mostly still overpriced for what they are.

An exception is the latest incarnation of the ever-changing Sun City Indian buffet which is good value and tasty at 150B net. It is no longer a buffet (!) and is now served at the table; three vegetarian curries/dahls, fresh butter/plain naan, rice, salad, bottled water, and last week they gave me two pappadums as well. I couldn't fault any of it for the price.

Still no advertising of any type outside indicating that it is there. huh.png

Never had good Tex-Mex in Thailand, or anywhere else outside Texas and New Mexico, for that matter ... except Phnom Penh. If you ever go there stop by Taqueria Corona Restaurant on 51st Street. Chef-owner was a chef in New Mexico.

Tequila Reef WAS pretty decent their 1st couple years when Robb was the chef. IMO, there is no good Mex in SEA. Passable is the best I can expect. Ingredients that should be cheap are expensive, corners are cut to keep the prices from getting crazy, & the product inevitably suffers. Much like beef, it's almost always a disappointment.

Try Mikes Mexican, on the road over to Jomtien from Pattaya. I think it's on Soi 5 or 8. Google it. Good food, but their salsa is weak.........

Yup, on Soi 5.....it is about the best of the worst in Pattaya....I just go back to Calofornia from time to time to get a decent plate...??

Try Mikes Mexican, on the road over to Jomtien from Pattaya. I think it's on Soi 5 or 8. Google it. Good food, but their salsa is weak.........

Yup, on Soi 5.....it is about the best of the worst in Pattaya....I just go back to Calofornia from time to time to get a decent plate...??

Meant California.....oops.....time for a nap....?

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the comment about Mike’s being authentic Tex-Mex or that their food is similar to what is purchased in Tijuana. It is just not true. I lived in San Diego for over 40 years of my adult life and had a factory for 20 of those years in Tijuana. I have traveled extensively in Mexico and can tell you that Tex-Mex is completely different than Mexican food served in Mexico; including Tijuana. Mike's is an “ok” expensive Asian Mexican food restaurant, but nowhere near authentic. I have not eaten Mexican food at Tequila Reef’s here in Pattaya, but I have eaten it in Angeles, PI. My experience was the same as usual when at a Mexican restaurant here in Asia; just not that good. I agree with the other comment that too many corners are cut. I would image it is to make big profits during the high season and to save money during the low season. It is not that difficult to find good recipes on the internet to make good Tex-Mex food. If Roberto’s would only open up a franchise in Pattaya you would all be able to enjoy good Tex-Mex…….

Thanks for the tip about Phnom Penh. I’ll make my way to the Taqueria Corona Restaurant on 51st Street. I hope your report is right. That would be a treat.

Mike's is OK. That's about it for Pattaya. Tequila Reef? Never.

One thing that irks me about Mex food here is the skimping on the cheese.

I can't tell you how many times I've ordered a quesadilla and had to send it

back because I couldn't find the cheese. Yeah, I know cheese is expensive here

but raise the price if you have to. Just don't insult me by serving a dish of

cheese with no cheese.

I also think Mexican food is a bit over priced in Pattaya. Beefeater and Lone Star are nice but not very cheap.

Mexican food in Pattaya from OSM

Beefeater's Tex-Mex buffé on weekends is 295 THB. It's high standard food and a very clean place.

Have Beefeater's changed from using the same boxed taco shells that have a shelf life of 4,000 years, and have zero taste or flavor?

Indian restaurants in Thailand are a hundred times better than Mexican restaurants here. I have lived and worked in India, and have traveled all over India, and I can say I have eaten in many excellent Indian restaurants in both Samui and Bangkok. Cannot say the same for Mexican. They cannot get the corn chips right (super heavy, and greasy) nor the tortillas, nor the salsa. I hear it is difficult to find good corn flour here. Can't it be imported from China, or Malaysia? And with all the good fish available here, when was the last time you saw a grilled fish taco?

Ma Maison on Soi 13 is trying a Mexican buffet night on Friday or Saturday nights, I can't remember which. Same dull taco shells that come from a 12 year old box. Throw the shells away and eat the box, it has more flavor and fiber. Their food is just okay at best, but it is all you can eat, and that includes guacamole and great cheeses. For the life of me I do not understand why they put their bowl of re-fried beans on a bed of ice. Weird!

Look in a word Me only place where it is fresh and homemade all fresh. guacamole best on the planet. If you been to States and to Chevy's Mexican resturant you might understand. And Tequila from Mexico brought over by pilot friends Not White boy tequila such as Cuervo or Patron The real deal.

I know a bit off topic- but why not make it yourself ( I realise not everyone has a decent kitchen) you can buy just about every ingredient- Villa is good. Limes here are great, chillis and avocados good. Tortillas easy to get. Never seen chipotle chillis .

The best thing about home cooked- you can make sure it's spicy- the restaurant food is just too boring and bland.

So to be honest cannot recommend any restaurants .

You are all correct of course. No real good Mexican restaurants here.

But some dishes at some locations "ok", not great.

Mike's tries, needs better salsa, Tequila Reef, tequitos ok, Sue's on soi 13/4 ok for tostada,and soft taco.

And chicken quasidilla at Centara Grand off soi 18, ok.

But if you are used to good Mexican food, cooked by Mexicans, you will be disappointed.

Archived