which is the best Mexican restaurant in pattaya, now not too expensive?

bapoboy

I also think Mexican food is a bit over priced in Pattaya. Beefeater and Lone Star are nice but not very cheap.

Mexican food in Pattaya from OSM

Beefeater's Tex-Mex buffé on weekends is 295 THB. It's high standard food and a very clean place.

Have Beefeater's changed from using the same boxed taco shells that have a shelf life of 4,000 years, and have zero taste or flavor?

Couldn't tell, I never eat the taco shells. Usually go for the soft wraps.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with all the good fish available here, when was the last time you saw a grilled fish taco?

Sunrise in Jomtien used to do a nice fish taco when it still existed. The place was overpriced though, which is probably why it closed.

Most likely closed because the food was shit??. IMHO....?

Regardless of good food or not the economics of running a restaurant are a mine field, here or anywhere. Most fail here. Most fail everywhere. Some that succeed in Pattaya have good food, some don't. That's only one factor. Especially in a tourism town where one offs can be milked.

And with all the good fish available here, when was the last time you saw a grilled fish taco?

Sunrise in Jomtien used to do a nice fish taco when it still existed. The place was overpriced though, which is probably why it closed.

spidermike007 mentioned a good grilled fish taco, they way they are supposed to be made. Sunrise took a very small piece of fish, rolled it in a batter, and deep fried it in old grease. If you peeled off the greasy batter, you would be hard pressed to find much fish. It wasn't their prices that drove them out of business.

Sunrise serve rubbish and then hit u with a 30 per cent service bill. I never saw that in pattaya before. I wanted to belt the owner for that sneaky effort but he wasnt there.

Some of their choices were sometimes borderline OK but not anything I would ever think was OK in the U.S. or Mexico.

I had some poor experiences with their service/botched up orders when the owner wasn't there and was not shy about trying to rectify the problems with the management.

The last time I went there, a Thai manager told me, if I complained about something again, don't come back, and I said: FINE!

He had a shocked look on his face because he thought I was a loyal customer and would cave under his threat.

That was fun.

Indeed never went back and then they closed.

As far as their prices and service charges, I think were an OK price point for Mexican food in Thailand. I was just borderline satisfied there but it was either there or nowhere. My favorite part was the salsa bar even though the salsas weren't authentic.

I also thought their burritos which I could custom order (see above) were a feature there, no not actually really good, but getting a hint of getting there.

Now if I local Mexican place had a similar price point or even higher and also had actually good Mexican food ... I would be jumping beans for joy!

I don't really expect that here ... like EVER.

Sunrise serve rubbish and then hit u with a 30 per cent service bill. I never saw that in pattaya before. I wanted to belt the owner for that sneaky effort but he wasnt there.

Some of their choices were sometimes borderline OK but not anything I would ever think was OK in the U.S. or Mexico.

I had some poor experiences with their service/botched up orders when the owner wasn't there and was not shy about trying to rectify the problems with the management.

The last time I went there, a Thai manager told me, if I complained about something again, don't come back, and I said: FINE!

He had a shocked look on his face because he thought I was a loyal customer and would cave under his threat.

That was fun.

Indeed never went back and then they closed.

As far as their prices and service charges, I think were an OK price point for Mexican food in Thailand. I was just borderline satisfied there but it was either there or nowhere. My favorite part was the salsa bar even though the salsas weren't authentic.

Now if I local Mexican place had a similar price point or even higher and also had actually good Mexican food ... I would be jumping beans for joy!

I don't really expect that here ... like EVER.

As a business owner, I do everything in my power to keep a customer happy. For the manager to even suggest that your complaints were not going to be heard is outrageous. I would have given that tiny turd a big piece of my mind. Arrogance has no place within a small business. If I caught my staff with an attitude like that, they would be fired on the spot. In front of all the rest of the staff. I would humiliate them intentionally. I am not a respecter of the whole concept of face. It is a cowards refusal to introspect.

The value of a long term customer cannot be overestimated. I flee places with bad attitudes, and never return, post nasty reviews, etc. No justification for it, ever.

I feel exactly the same way.

Like I said, he was a Thai manager.

I didn't ever get that kind of attitude from the actual owner.

He seemed a nice guy and I'm sorry that business venture didn't work out so well for him.

I think expats in Thailand are familiar with the phenom ... a very different experience when a western owner is there to not. Not only service, but often the food as well.

Good service of a western standard is kind of unusual here.

When I experience a restaurant which is actually reasonable, like if they serve you the wrong dish and actually recook a new one rather than tweak what they served in a disgusting way making it worse, I remember that, appreciate it, and am very likely to return.

Having lived in New Mexico for over 20 yrs., most of it in Nuevo Mexico del Norte', northern New Mexico, I don't even like Tex-Mex which if you served up there would get you run out of town. I've never found even any decent Mexican food of any type in a restaurant in Thailand, with the exception of Bubba's (American food) and even the owner readily admitted to having to make do on the ingredients. Tex-Mex, Mexican and northern NM food are not the same, and I can assure you the food from the northern part of New Mexico is hot, very hot. My wife who prides herself on eating Issan "pet" says my cooking is pet mak, mak, too pet. I get food stuffs direct from the sources in northern New Mexico and while the postage is high, it is worth it for a few good meals every now and then. I gave the owner of Bubba's here in Udon some of my red chile, no people it does not have beans, tomatoes, onions etc. in it, to try. He liked it although even he said a bit hot. He lived in NM for a time and actually made some decent Mexican type dishes from time to time. He did the best he could with what can be bought here, the "real stuff", can't be bought over here. Some of the best I ever had was up in Chama, NM sitting with the old ranchers, watching the snow pile up and listening to their tales at breakfast. The breakfast burritos, huevos rancheros etc., whether red or green, were outstanding and more than many could eat. Pay for one cup of coffee, get up and get your own when you needed a refile. Stop by friends' houses, mama fired up the stove and fresh hot tortillas were coming along with whatever she decided you were going to eat. And, you were going to eat...lol. Ok, that did it, I'm going online and ordering, I've already got the Hatch red chile powder, extra hot. It's posole time back there, might as well be here, weather is kinda' cool...lol. Lots of luck finding any kind of authentic Mexican food of any type here.

spidermike007 mentioned a good grilled fish taco, they way they are supposed to be made. Sunrise took a very small piece of fish, rolled it in a batter, and deep fried it in old grease. If you peeled off the greasy batter, you would be hard pressed to find much fish. It wasn't their prices that drove them out of business.

OK, let me put it another way. Sunrise in Jomtien did the best fish taco I have ever eaten. In fact it did the only fish taco I have ever eaten.

Mexican food is not popular in any country that I have ever lived in, so I dont have much experience of it but the fish taco I had there tasted OK to me. But I never returned because it was just too expensive for what you got, even as part of the bundle taco deal that they did one or two afternoons a week.

OK, let me put it another way. Sunrise in Jomtien did the best fish taco I have ever eaten. In fact it did the only fish taco I have ever eaten.

Mexican food is not popular in any country that I have ever lived in, so I dont have much experience of it but the fish taco I had there tasted OK to me. But I never returned because it was just too expensive for what you got, even as part of the bundle taco deal that they did one or two afternoons a week.

An excellent fish taco is grilled, and the fish is not breaded. As with fish and chips, often breading is used to mask the low quality, and lack of freshness, of the fish. No excuse for that here. Also, grilling is something very, very, very few Thais know how to do. They nearly always want to add oil, pan fry, BBQ, etc. Even oven roasted potatoes here are often really fried in a pan! The good fish taco also has an abundance of shredded cabbage and/or lettuce, cilantro, diced onions, and sliced jalapeno peppers. That taco costs about $2, or 65 baht, in Los Angeles. And great salsas. Why the lack of great salsas here? I will not even repeat myself about the chips, poor quality tortillas (no corn usually), lack of good guacamole, etc. All the ingredients are available here, though the access to good corn flour and reasonable avocados presents a minor challenge. Lastly, the stunningly feeble selection of good tequila available in Thailand is another minor issue! Who ever heard of Sierra, and the various other super inferior brands seen here? Nobody in Mexico has! Export only. $4 per 750ml. bottle probably.

Mike's is OK. That's about it for Pattaya. Tequila Reef? Never.

One thing that irks me about Mex food here is the skimping on the cheese.

I can't tell you how many times I've ordered a quesadilla and had to send it

back because I couldn't find the cheese. Yeah, I know cheese is expensive here

but raise the price if you have to. Just don't insult me by serving a dish of

cheese with no cheese.

If people don't like Mike's they will not like Tequila Reef or most places. There is a place I went to years ago (small) that is across the road where Sunrise Taco use to be but not on the road but behind the buildings where this Condo complex is located, it was pretty good if not better than Mikes.

When you talk about Cheese you are so right, I love my tacos with tomatoes and cheese and that is hard very hard to find. Just like Pizza here I ask " where is the cheese "

Mike's is OK. That's about it for Pattaya. Tequila Reef? Never.

One thing that irks me about Mex food here is the skimping on the cheese.

I can't tell you how many times I've ordered a quesadilla and had to send it

back because I couldn't find the cheese. Yeah, I know cheese is expensive here

but raise the price if you have to. Just don't insult me by serving a dish of

cheese with no cheese.

If people don't like Mike's they will not like Tequila Reef or most places. There is a place I went to years ago (small) that is across the road where Sunrise Taco use to be but not on the road but behind the buildings where this Condo complex is located, it was pretty good if not better than Mikes.

When you talk about Cheese you are so right, I love my tacos with tomatoes and cheese and that is hard very hard to find. Just like Pizza here I ask " where is the cheese "

You mean Sams.

They moved to be inside Jomtien Complex nightlife and eating district. Same side of road as dead Sunrise now, not across.

http://samsmexican.com/

There is a bar with a girls name has decent quantity, quality for the not-cheap price (but good size). Between Beach and 2nd. Same soi as Obsession. One soi north of Pattay Tai (sorry brain can not bring up number).

Yes it's a Marine bar and used to be called the Blue Parrot. Soi 2 I think.

Having lived in New Mexico for over 20 yrs., most of it in Nuevo Mexico del Norte', northern New Mexico, I don't even like Tex-Mex which if you served up there would get you run out of town. I've never found even any decent Mexican food of any type in a restaurant in Thailand, with the exception of Bubba's (American food) and even the owner readily admitted to having to make do on the ingredients. Tex-Mex, Mexican and northern NM food are not the same, and I can assure you the food from the northern part of New Mexico is hot, very hot. My wife who prides herself on eating Issan "pet" says my cooking is pet mak, mak, too pet. I get food stuffs direct from the sources in northern New Mexico and while the postage is high, it is worth it for a few good meals every now and then. I gave the owner of Bubba's here in Udon some of my red chile, no people it does not have beans, tomatoes, onions etc. in it, to try. He liked it although even he said a bit hot. He lived in NM for a time and actually made some decent Mexican type dishes from time to time. He did the best he could with what can be bought here, the "real stuff", can't be bought over here. Some of the best I ever had was up in Chama, NM sitting with the old ranchers, watching the snow pile up and listening to their tales at breakfast. The breakfast burritos, huevos rancheros etc., whether red or green, were outstanding and more than many could eat. Pay for one cup of coffee, get up and get your own when you needed a refile. Stop by friends' houses, mama fired up the stove and fresh hot tortillas were coming along with whatever she decided you were going to eat. And, you were going to eat...lol. Ok, that did it, I'm going online and ordering, I've already got the Hatch red chile powder, extra hot. It's posole time back there, might as well be here, weather is kinda' cool...lol. Lots of luck finding any kind of authentic Mexican food of any type here.

New-Mex-Mex food is good, but not all of it is hot--depends on the cook. I am with you with regard to finding any kind of authentic Mexican food or anything close to it, which is why I want Taco Bell to come here (at least TB does not pretend to be something it isn't and the price is right). I continue to be amazed at the lack of understanding of how to make decent Mexican food amongst the people who are opening "Mexican restaurants" over here. The food is so bland (devoid of proper Mexican spices). And the owners do not seem to want to listen to customers. One owner, whose first name starts with M, does not even offer hot sauce/salsa w/ his main meals......does offer Tabasco sauce! Incredible. By the way, Sue's Place, formerly the Blue Parrot, is my choice now, but it is a poor version of Taco Bell. It is located across from the Viking Bar. The Soi? Not sure, but it is within walking distance of the Walking Street arch and across from that terrible statue on the beach--the red upright boats? Sue's Place seems better to me than Sam's Place and Mike's Mexican place. That is not a recommendation, even though I am compelled to eat there from time to time. Given what we have here now, I would much prefer eating at Taco Bell.

New-Mex-Mex food is good, but not all of it is hot--depends on the cook. I am with you with regard to finding any kind of authentic Mexican food or anything close to it, which is why I want Taco Bell to come here (at least TB does not pretend to be something it isn't and the price is right). I continue to be amazed at the lack of understanding of how to make decent Mexican food amongst the people who are opening "Mexican restaurants" over here. The food is so bland (devoid of proper Mexican spices). And the owners do not seem to want to listen to customers. One owner, whose first name starts with M, does not even offer hot sauce/salsa w/ his main meals......does offer Tabasco sauce! Incredible. By the way, Sue's Place, formerly the Blue Parrot, is my choice now, but it is a poor version of Taco Bell. It is located across from the Viking Bar. The Soi? Not sure, but it is within walking distance of the Walking Street arch and across from that terrible statue on the beach--the red upright boats? Sue's Place seems better to me than Sam's Place and Mike's Mexican place. That is not a recommendation, even though I am compelled to eat there from time to time. Given what we have here now, I would much prefer eating at Taco Bell.

Everyone has different taste buds, which is why we don't have just one beer, or one white wine, and one red wine. I say this because in a discussion of food. Taco Bell should not, IMHO, even be mentioned.

You are all correct of course. No real good Mexican restaurants here.

But some dishes at some locations "ok", not great.

Mike's tries, needs better salsa, Tequila Reef, tequitos ok, Sue's on soi 13/4 ok for tostada,and soft taco.

And chicken quasidilla at Centara Grand off soi 18, ok.

But if you are used to good Mexican food, cooked by Mexicans, you will be disappointed.

Yep, it's amazing what 10 million illegal immigrants (oops I'm sorry, "undocumented immigrants") can do in the kitchen.

You are all correct of course. No real good Mexican restaurants here.

But some dishes at some locations "ok", not great.

Mike's tries, needs better salsa, Tequila Reef, tequitos ok, Sue's on soi 13/4 ok for tostada,and soft taco.

And chicken quasidilla at Centara Grand off soi 18, ok.

But if you are used to good Mexican food, cooked by Mexicans, you will be disappointed.

Yep, it's amazing what 10 million illegal immigrants (oops I'm sorry, "undocumented immigrants") can do in the kitchen.

It's not just Mexicans in the kitchens of Mexican restaurants in the U.S. It's Mexicans in MOST all U.S. commercial kitchens. A day without Mexicans in the kitchens in the U.S. would be a day with lots of CLOSED restaurants!

Archived