which is the best Mexican restaurant in pattaya, now not too expensive?

bapoboy

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having lived in New Mexico for over 20 yrs., most of it in Nuevo Mexico del Norte', northern New Mexico, I don't even like Tex-Mex which if you served up there would get you run out of town. I've never found even any decent Mexican food of any type in a restaurant in Thailand, with the exception of Bubba's (American food) and even the owner readily admitted to having to make do on the ingredients. Tex-Mex, Mexican and northern NM food are not the same, and I can assure you the food from the northern part of New Mexico is hot, very hot. My wife who prides herself on eating Issan "pet" says my cooking is pet mak, mak, too pet. I get food stuffs direct from the sources in northern New Mexico and while the postage is high, it is worth it for a few good meals every now and then. I gave the owner of Bubba's here in Udon some of my red chile, no people it does not have beans, tomatoes, onions etc. in it, to try. He liked it although even he said a bit hot. He lived in NM for a time and actually made some decent Mexican type dishes from time to time. He did the best he could with what can be bought here, the "real stuff", can't be bought over here. Some of the best I ever had was up in Chama, NM sitting with the old ranchers, watching the snow pile up and listening to their tales at breakfast. The breakfast burritos, huevos rancheros etc., whether red or green, were outstanding and more than many could eat. Pay for one cup of coffee, get up and get your own when you needed a refile. Stop by friends' houses, mama fired up the stove and fresh hot tortillas were coming along with whatever she decided you were going to eat. And, you were going to eat...lol. Ok, that did it, I'm going online and ordering, I've already got the Hatch red chile powder, extra hot. It's posole time back there, might as well be here, weather is kinda' cool...lol. Lots of luck finding any kind of authentic Mexican food of any type here.

There is no such chili as a "Hatch Chili", There a chilies grown in Hatch NM, both by the Hatch Chili Co. and other growers, but there's NO Verity of chili called Hatch Chili!!

A NuMex Sandia and Barker Hot are what they are selling, Hatch Chili is only Marketing.

The Sandia and Barker Hot(hottest of the NuMex) are all from UNM.

rice555

Mike's is OK. That's about it for Pattaya. Tequila Reef? Never.

One thing that irks me about Mex food here is the skimping on the cheese.

I can't tell you how many times I've ordered a quesadilla and had to send it

back because I couldn't find the cheese. Yeah, I know cheese is expensive here

but raise the price if you have to. Just don't insult me by serving a dish of

cheese with no cheese.

I find reasonable standard (cheddar) type cheese at Tesco in Laem Chabang.

They charge a whole lot more for imported French cheeses in Big-C-X (former Carrefour), that is for sure.

I doubt you can find restaurant sized blocks.

Same with the Pizzas here.

Would some one from California please please please show these Mexican rest. in patts how to make a simple Mexican sauce. The white, red and brown stuff they put on Mexican food here came out of a horror story. Who the hell ever heard of a white Mexican sauce, not me. I go to mike's a lot and they use a white liquid that has no relationship to Mexican sauce. Damn.

Would some one from California please please please show these Mexican rest. in patts how to make a simple Mexican sauce. The white, red and brown stuff they put on Mexican food here came out of a horror story. Who the hell ever heard of a white Mexican sauce, not me. I go to mike's a lot and they use a white liquid that has no relationship to Mexican sauce. Damn.

People from Cali will know what's it's supposed to taste like, but not necessarily how to make it taste that way.

You are all correct of course. No real good Mexican restaurants here.

But some dishes at some locations "ok", not great.

Mike's tries, needs better salsa, Tequila Reef, tequitos ok, Sue's on soi 13/4 ok for tostada,and soft taco.

And chicken quasidilla at Centara Grand off soi 18, ok.

But if you are used to good Mexican food, cooked by Mexicans, you will be disappointed.

Yep, it's amazing what 10 million illegal immigrants (oops I'm sorry, "undocumented immigrants") can do in the kitchen.

It's not just Mexicans in the kitchens of Mexican restaurants in the U.S. It's Mexicans in MOST all U.S. commercial kitchens. A day without Mexicans in the kitchens in the U.S. would be a day with lots of CLOSED restaurants!

I said it was amazing didn't I...Thailand could do with a few "undocumented" tourists.

Mike's is OK. That's about it for Pattaya. Tequila Reef? Never.

One thing that irks me about Mex food here is the skimping on the cheese.

I can't tell you how many times I've ordered a quesadilla and had to send it

back because I couldn't find the cheese. Yeah, I know cheese is expensive here

but raise the price if you have to. Just don't insult me by serving a dish of

cheese with no cheese.

If people don't like Mike's they will not like Tequila Reef or most places. There is a place I went to years ago (small) that is across the road where Sunrise Taco use to be but not on the road but behind the buildings where this Condo complex is located, it was pretty good if not better than Mikes.

When you talk about Cheese you are so right, I love my tacos with tomatoes and cheese and that is hard very hard to find. Just like Pizza here I ask " where is the cheese "

You mean Sams.

They moved to be inside Jomtien Complex nightlife and eating district. Same side of road as dead Sunrise now, not across.

http://samsmexican.com/

Thanks, that is the place? I remember the owner being from San Diego, it has been a while but as you can read but I thought it was pretty good.

You are all correct of course. No real good Mexican restaurants here.

But some dishes at some locations "ok", not great.

Mike's tries, needs better salsa, Tequila Reef, tequitos ok, Sue's on soi 13/4 ok for tostada,and soft taco.

And chicken quasidilla at Centara Grand off soi 18, ok.

But if you are used to good Mexican food, cooked by Mexicans, you will be disappointed.

Yep, it's amazing what 10 million illegal immigrants (oops I'm sorry, "undocumented immigrants") can do in the kitchen.

It's not just Mexicans in the kitchens of Mexican restaurants in the U.S. It's Mexicans in MOST all U.S. commercial kitchens. A day without Mexicans in the kitchens in the U.S. would be a day with lots of CLOSED restaurants!

I said it was amazing didn't I...Thailand could do with a few "undocumented" tourists.

There would also be lots of hotel beds unmade and cleaned.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the comment about Mike’s being authentic Tex-Mex or that their food is similar to what is purchased in Tijuana. It is just not true. I lived in San Diego for over 40 years of my adult life and had a factory for 20 of those years in Tijuana. I have traveled extensively in Mexico and can tell you that Tex-Mex is completely different than Mexican food served in Mexico; including Tijuana. Mike's is an “ok” expensive Asian Mexican food restaurant, but nowhere near authentic. I have not eaten Mexican food at Tequila Reef’s here in Pattaya, but I have eaten it in Angeles, PI. My experience was the same as usual when at a Mexican restaurant here in Asia; just not that good. I agree with the other comment that too many corners are cut. I would image it is to make big profits during the high season and to save money during the low season. It is not that difficult to find good recipes on the internet to make good Tex-Mex food. If Roberto’s would only open up a franchise in Pattaya you would all be able to enjoy good Tex-Mex…….

Thanks for the tip about Phnom Penh. I’ll make my way to the Taqueria Corona Restaurant on 51st Street. I hope your report is right. That would be a treat.

The reason it's not authentic tex-mex is because it is more mexican rather than american style. Other than the lack of seafood it is actually pretty close.

It doesn't really matter if it isn't actually 'authentic Mexican' whatever that may be.

What matters is that it tastes good and has quality ingredients and that at the very least have some Mexican flavours.

Sadly nothing in Pattaya makes the grade.

I don't think it is very hard to do.

However it does come down to cost and maybe only Central is really an option where you can actually get people to pay for a decent product.

La Monita in Bangers proves you can make decent pseudo Mexican food and have plenty of customers but whether this is price prohibitive for Pattaya is another thing.

well I regard Taco Bell like McDonalds: factory produced corporate slurry. I rarely go to such places. Sue's place is nice, not corporate and I am sure some of the meals are better than others. There is a hint of Siam in some of the food. I would recommend it as being well worth a visit. But if you are obsessively a Mexican food purist then maybe not. It meets my needs for an occasional meal because it has cheese and bread based food as well as chillies and sauce which Thai and Indian food do not gave.

well I regard Taco Bell like McDonalds: factory produced corporate slurry. I rarely go to such places. Sue's place is nice, not corporate and I am sure some of the meals are better than others. There is a hint of Siam in some of the food. I would recommend it as being well worth a visit. But if you are obsessively a Mexican food purist then maybe not. It meets my needs for an occasional meal because it has cheese and bread based food as well as chillies and sauce which Thai and Indian food do not gave.

Maybe I'm not understanding you ... but certainly you can very easily order an Indian meal that has:

chilies (hot spices of some kind)

sauce (in what westerners call curries)

bread (so many choices in Indian food!)

Even beans!

Rajma masala

and certainly rice as well.

Maybe I'm not understanding you ... but certainly you can very easily order an Indian meal that has:

chilies (hot spices of some kind)

sauce (in what westerners call curries)

bread (so many choices in Indian food!)

Even beans!

Rajma masala

and certainly rice as well.

Yes I prefer Indian food to Thai because of the delicious ranges of breads but my point about mexican is the melted cheese and the other things.

Hey I like Taco Bell, better to me at least that majority of the places I eaten in Pattaya,

Sure it is Taco Bell, but go there only for the Taco's supreme's, Better than what I get here and place and it has cheese and tomatoes. Wish KFC, had a Taco Bell inside.

KFC? These fast food outlets are too pikey for me. They are for the culinary challenged and illiterate.

Hey I like Taco Bell, better to me at least that majority of the places I eaten in Pattaya,

Sure it is Taco Bell, but go there only for the Taco's supreme's, Better than what I get here and place and it has cheese and tomatoes. Wish KFC, had a Taco Bell inside.

KFC? These fast food outlets are too pikey for me. They are for the culinary challenged and illiterate.

Hey whatever fancy your anal retentive butt! I guess you feel the better you eat the less your shit stinks. Sorry you are wrong!

Well rice, you are technically right but find me anybody in New Mexico that doesn't say Hatch chilies. It is always nice to have somebody here willing to correct, I'm sure we all appreciate the clarification as much as I do. I do believe I know the types. I've tried to grow all here, bad soil or whatever, they just haven't made. Snails got them the one year they really looked good. Now the trees around my little garden area are too big and not enough sunlight. The wife's farm lands are all dry land farms which I'm very sure you know will not suffice for growing NM chili. I've contacted UNM in the past about growing here. Oh and btw, ese' my daughter has a Masters from UNM. Like I said, 20 some odd years there, I did learn a little bit about NM and plants growing there. I managed a garden most years, even up in Chama, oh btw, it gets cold up there, oh wait, I'm sure you know that. In the meantime I would really, really like to have some Hatch chilies here and at least to close to authentic northern New Mexico food. Hey, did you eat your enchiladas flat, stacked with a fried egg on top or rolled. Somehow I bet rolled.

Sue's Place, Pattayaland.

There is a bar with a girls name has decent quantity, quality for the not-cheap price (but good size). Between Beach and 2nd. Same soi as Obsession. One soi north of Pattay Tai (sorry brain can not bring up number).

There is a bar with a girls name has decent quantity, quality for the not-cheap price (but good size). Between Beach and 2nd. Same soi as Obsession. One soi north of Pattay Tai (sorry brain can not bring up number).

Yes it's a Marine bar and used to be called the Blue Parrot. Soi 2 I think.

Nope, its called Sue's Place, and has been for a long long time.

Well rice, you are technically right but find me anybody in New Mexico that doesn't say Hatch chilies. It is always nice to have somebody here willing to correct, I'm sure we all appreciate the clarification as much as I do. I do believe I know the types. I've tried to grow all here, bad soil or whatever, they just haven't made. Snails got them the one year they really looked good. Now the trees around my little garden area are too big and not enough sunlight. The wife's farm lands are all dry land farms which I'm very sure you know will not suffice for growing NM chili. I've contacted UNM in the past about growing here. Oh and btw, ese' my daughter has a Masters from UNM. Like I said, 20 some odd years there, I did learn a little bit about NM and plants growing there. I managed a garden most years, even up in Chama, oh btw, it gets cold up there, oh wait, I'm sure you know that. In the meantime I would really, really like to have some Hatch chilies here and at least to close to authentic northern New Mexico food. Hey, did you eat your enchiladas flat, stacked with a fried egg on top or rolled. Somehow I bet rolled.

No difference than The California Raisin Board or any PR gimmick, when Mr. Garcia did his thing. I don't think

he was thinking of promoting Hatch Chills, Hatch didn't have any NuMex chilies to grow.

New Mexican cultivars were developed in the state by Dr. Fabian Garcia, whose major release was the New Mexico No. 9 in 1913.[3] These cultivars are "hotter" than others in order to suit the tastes of New Mexicans in their traditional foods. The hottest cultivars (e.g. NuMex XXHot) can be as hot as 70,000 Scoville units,[4] indicating large genetic variability. Chiles grown around the town of Hatch are marketed under the name of the town and are often sold fresh-roasted in New Mexico and neighboring states in the early autumn.

This chile is used in many Mexican and New Mexican dishes

I'm a tamale kind of guy, relleno's and Mex Sea Food, please, no gut bomb burritos. Grew up in San Jose, 50-72, third

largest Mexican population outside Mexico(1 &2-LA SD), so good "fresh" Mex Food, we had a choice, not what was thrown

on the table, hold the fried egg.

I've seen what Mike's puts into his sauces, he order's through Villa and gets 10-20Lbs each of imported dried chilies, from

Mex/US ??

rice555

No Hatch listed here pic.

post-37242-0-48519100-1419971043_thumb.p

Yes it's a Marine bar and used to be called the Blue Parrot. Soi 2 I think.

It is on soi 13/4

Mexican food in Pattaya from OSM

Click on "OSM","Google" or "Here" to see each place on a map.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring this old topic back to life. In fact, Mikes is the classic "Cantina", you find over all California state. That is average, tacos, can't expect more. Margaritas fair, not great.

But Mexican food is nto only that. There is much more refined Mexican, other then Tacos and enchiladas! And I ate that 3 times , great.

One , forgot the name in Daytona beach, with fantastic original dishes.

But the 2 others are in Thailand!

2. Sala mexicali in Rawai Phuket

http://www.salamexicali.com/

Incredible food, margaritas, like the fantastic fish dishes, like the tuna fish, with potatoes.

3. Barrio Bonito Mexican food

Real good stuff. Classic ingredients, but also very fresh salads. Incredible , original food. Lovely margaritas

Compared to the Pattaya outlets, then the latter are all nothing special.

but there is great Mexican food in Thailand....

I hear Jorge of Sabroso in Bangkok is looking for a new venue.. ..his 3 pork carnitas tacos are 220 Baht and superb so maybe inside Pattaya's price bracket.

Also he just opened in Yangon as well.

What are you waiting for JT....give him a call!

I have lived here for 10 years. I love Mexican food I'am from California where its great and authentic, not like that Tex Mex Americanised stuff. Over r the Years I have tried everyplace around and I agree with most of the Writers here, its hardly average and mostly bad. What I have done is learned how to cook my favorite dishes my self, with a bit of research you can do most mexican foods. I find the most difficult one to do Is refried beans as you cannot find Pinto beans here.

Anyway good luck. BY the way: Mikes was also very average.

Simply put if your going to change ingredients you need to find a way to ensure you get the same flavours.

all the best!

I hear Jorge of Sabroso in Bangkok is looking for a new venue.. ..his 3 pork carnitas tacos are 220 Baht and superb so maybe inside Pattaya's price bracket.

Like he doesn't know Pattaya exists and any decent Mexican restaurant here would instantly blow away the shockingly weak competition?

Yes, please come here.

Puerto Pattaya?

Like he doesn't know Pattaya exists and any decent Mexican restaurant here would instantly blow away the shockingly weak competition?

Yes, please come here.

Puerto Pattaya?

I'll mention it to him next week. ;)

Location for such a place might be tricky.

I would look at Jomtien near Pastrami and Rye. It could piggyback on their business and yet not really direct competition.

Sandwiches in the 300 baht range so proof that many people will pay decent money for decent food.

While Sunrise Mexican chain on the Jomtien Complex eventually failed there is a core base of Americans in the area who are massively supporting Pastrami and Rye. Also there is Sam's Mexican already in the area, open for several years. Sam's has a different concept, very very Americanized including a lot of actual American food. Probably both could exist as so different.

Location for such a place might be tricky.

I would look at Jomtien near Pastrami and Rye. It could piggyback on their business and yet not really direct competition.

Sandwiches in the 300 baht range so proof that many people will pay decent money for decent food.

While Sunrise Mexican chain on the Jomtien Complex eventually failed there is a core base of Americans in the area who are massively supporting Pastrami and Rye. Also there is Sam's Mexican already in the area, open for several years. Sam's has a different concept, very very Americanized including a lot of actual American food. Probably both could exist as so different.

I'm actually surprised Sabroso sells at such a decent price but their tacos are smaller than their competitors.

I'm told however that is more authentic...and they certainly make up for it in flavour.

Haven't been for awhile but Sam's was more to my liking than all the other mex places in Pattaya.

My biggest complaint in the places that have acceptable mex food is the price. For being a cheap dinner, here they have crazy prices. In the states where I come from you can have a nice mex dinner for as low as 5 dollars and drinks are reasonable. A few of these local places a basic meal starts at about 9 dollars and drinks are twice the price as in the U.S. With labor cost being 1/10 the cost you would think the price could at least be near the price in America or even half... I think some of these owners are just laughing .....

Too many other kinds of food here to waste your money on Mex.

Eat mex when you can get good taste with reasonable prices.

Archived