Most friendly region/province in Thailand?

shane

I have been traveling/living in Thailand since 2000 in total I've lived here 6 years, and am finally ready to buy property and settle down. I am having trouble however choosing a jungwat/province in which to live. I have traveled all over the country and recently I was in Hatyai city and Songkla city, and i found the people quite a bit less accepting and friendly towards me down there. This has made me recall my travels in the past quite a bit recently.

My question is: What has other members experiences with locals been like around this beautiful country? And what in your opinion is the most friendly/accepting place in the country?

Thanks in advance

WOW ....lived here six years....traveled all over the country....AND still not sure where to settle? You say you want to BUY! Whoa! ...My advice, since you're so unsure is to rent first....so many good places to live ....pick the wheather you like best ...beach community or country village and then find a place to rent and try it for awhile ....don't like it ...move on.

I was just interested in other peoples opinions thats's all

I was about to say 'not Songkhla'. smile.png Been there off and on and it has definitely gone downhill, though was always a bit crusty regards the locals. Prefer the northern Thais and countryside. Chiang Mai is great but gone very busy. In the future, I may consider Chiang Rai.

I agree. The friendliest people I met were in the North, although many were not Thais but from from the hill tribes. I am sure that you would enjoy Chiang Rai, if you think that Chiang Mai is too busy..

Thanks

I have only spent 2 days in Chiang Rai about 4 years ago, I enjoyed the place a lot and will consider it, I may take another trip there soon to check it out again.

Horses for courses, one man's food is another mans poison, we are all different, have different needs and wants.

Indeed, but being all nice and diplomatic doesn't that help the op much. rolleyes.gif As in my example, it has to be said, people, in general, differ from region to region and with Songkhla/Hat Yai (as the op found out), there is an obvious aggressive undertone and aversion to outsiders. It is also, despite being a relatively rich area through the rubber and oil, decidedly grubbier than, say, CM and CR.

I would also consider the coast below Hua Hin... sea but with the mountains nearby.

• Like 2

Indeed, but being all nice and diplomatic doesn't that help the op much. rolleyes.gif As in my example, it has to be said, people, in general, differ from region to region and with Songkhla/Hat Yai (as the op found out), there is an obvious aggressive undertone and aversion to outsiders.

I've lived in Hat Yai/Songkhla for 8 years and never had an issue with the locals. They might not suffer fools gladly, but that's no bad thing

• Like 1

One of the only large towns I haven't visited is kon kaen, does anyone have an opinion on there?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I love Khon Kaen, but depending on your age and interests some find it boring.

But I love going there. Not many tourists, good bars and beer gardens, cheap food prices, good shopping centres, really nice night market, best I have seen anyway.

Worth going for a look.

• Like 2

Indeed, but being all nice and diplomatic doesn't that help the op much. rolleyes.gif As in my example, it has to be said, people, in general, differ from region to region and with Songkhla/Hat Yai (as the op found out), there is an obvious aggressive undertone and aversion to outsiders.

I've lived in Hat Yai/Songkhla for 8 years and never had an issue with the locals. They might not suffer fools gladly, but that's no bad thing

Shhh! We don't really want word to get out how pleasant it is here. Next thing you know we'll be inundated with the kind of farang that give us all a bad name, then the locals will get intolerant, then the dual-pricing will start and the scams and the corrupt cops etc.

Leave Hat Yai alone...we like it here.

No, you're wrong! I live in HY and it is terrible! The people are rude, the cops aggressive. I do not recommend Songkhla province.

What about the muslim violence down south, the kidnappings, bombings etc.

Does that bother any of you living down there?

• Like 2

I would agree with others who advise not to buy but rent as places and fascinations change here… rental prices are reasonable and selling can be difficult if you want a change...

I would agree with the others, if friendliness is the most important factor - go north.

Edited by kenk24

Shhh! We don't really want word to get out how pleasant it is here. Next thing you know we'll be inundated with the kind of farang that give us all a bad name, then the locals will get intolerant, then the dual-pricing will start and the scams and the corrupt cops etc.

Leave Hat Yai alone...we like it here.

No, you're wrong! I live in HY and it is terrible! The people are rude, the cops aggressive. I do not recommend Songkhla province.

What about the muslim violence down south, the kidnappings, bombings etc.

Does that bother any of you living down there?

Nope...If you dont mix with that type...You dont have to be involved.

Having said that...YES, this place has changed in the last 15yrs or so..Some of it not for the better.

• Like 1