"wow " how come they dont speak english in Rama 9 ( kawasaki )

skilled

Rama 9 is the main kawasaki compound ( branch) etc .

Why do the staff at Real Motorsports ( which is mostly a dealer) seem to be much more professionaly prepared both in knowledge and in english skills ..

Please dont give me the this is thailand..

Kawasaki is a very well known brand ..

any thoughts on this ?

BTW service was awesome at real motorsports.. ( as in they adjusted my bike properly)

• Like 1

You asked "Please dont give me the this is thailand"...so I'll respond that's it's not UK, USA, Canada, Australia, etc...I know that back home people expect those living in their country to speak the language...why it's so hard for them to reciprocate, or at least work around language barriers, never fails to interest me.

Why do they bother then writing the names of the streets in english ? Why does dtac ais 7/11 etc bother to do english marketing? Lol

If it's so bothersome...there are plenty of English speaking countries at similar latitude with comparable climates and cost of living to explore....

• Like 1

I agree with skilled. At least they need a staff that can speak english and not hard to find that. Most honda bigwing mechs and marketing staff can speak english for example. Sone Ducati staff also speak english and mv agusta and ktm have foreign staff to deal with farang. Suzuki also has a guy lived in usa if i dont remember wrong and very helpful with good english skills.

It just gives you confidence.

Basically, If they are selling a bike to a farang than i expect them to speak some english too.

Yes this is thailand but then they dont sell these bikes to Thai people only.

Moreover, names of the bikes, parts etc are in english even some terms while maintaining a bike.

Is there any engineer left on earth with no english skills? As you need to constantly update your knowledge with mostly foreign periodicals, service bulletins etc.

Also if we speak business, it is stupid not to have a marketing staff speaking english in a country like thailand with lots of expats, long termers etc.

For me i dont care though as can communicate in Thai a bit.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

To take it further, why don't they learn Russian and German and Chinese, etc, while they're at it?

I wouldn't bother with any calculations but Dave is right, we (falangs) are a small number of bike purchasers. It shouldn't be any companies' responsibility to force their employees to study foreign language (or make a foreign language skills a pre-employment requirement). You're a visitor to this country, care to learn their language.

• Like 2

I wish I could learn Thai. But too many years with drag pipes, chainsaws, straight stack dozers, welders, compressors ...

Hearing not gone, but can not hear the different tones of the language. So, what to do ?

Work around it. GF, friend, whatever it takes.

Been all over this country, back of beyond in the most remote parts of Isaan, everywhere.

You speak bare bones Thai, they speak no English, what are you gonna do - quit ? Throw a Hissy Fit ?

Smile, be polite, be patient, do not raise your voice.

All will be revealed.

I understand that someone laying out that large of an outlay in cash (something like 10 months' of a teacher's salary isn't it?) would want as much information as possible about it...but like you say 'jai yin-yin'.

There are more than 3 BigWings but they do seem to all have some English speaking staff !

Of course it should be a priority to learn Thai if living here, however Thai is only useful here. It would be much more beneficial for Thais to learn English, as like it or not, it is the international business language. Asean is fast approaching and they will be left behind...

• Like 2

There are more than 3 BigWings but they do seem to all have some English speaking staff !

Of course it should be a priority to learn Thai if living here, however Thai is only useful here. It would be much more beneficial for Thais to learn English, as like it or not, it is the international business language. Asean is fast approaching and they will be left behind...

Apologies, I had forgot that Honda had expanded the Big Wing out to 7 (!) dealerships. That means a full 1.95% of their profits versus the 12% that Kawasaki would have to lay out.

There's no argument that it will benefit each individual if they learn and master their English skills, it however should be left up to them if they want to learn it or not.

Yes Thai is only useful in Thailand but if a foreigner decided to retire or settle down in this country, learning a local language should be their 1st priority.

I been here for 6 years and I don't speak enough Thai to say I can speak it, but my excuse is my bad hearing. I however have no problems finding my way around or getting the info I need, there are many ways. OP could at least find a GF (or a BF, whatever he likes - anything is accepted in Thailand. ;) ) and get them on a phone when he can't find any English speaking staff.

• Like 1

Apologies, I had forgot that Honda had expanded the Big Wing out to 7 (!) dealerships. That means a full 1.95% of their profits versus the 12% that Kawasaki would have to lay out.

Dave, dont think ao there are 78 kawa bigbike dealers around thailand.

Besides, maybe kawa korat does not need an english speaking staff but it would be good if they appoint some for dealers like pattaya, phuket etc where there are some farang population.

Moreover, i am not saying 3-4 staff for each dealer but at least one!

Sure it would be useful for dealers and farang customers alike, isnt it?

Besides, maybe kawa korat does not need an english speaking staff but it would be good if they appoint some for dealers like pattaya, phuket etc where there are some farang population.

I'm not about to go through all the drop down boxes to figure out the exact numbers, but it's obvious that the number of Kawasaki dealers overwhelms the paltry number of Big Wings out there and having the staff trained is a cost that I agree is just not worth it for them.

As I would be pissed if someone came to my country and demanded I learn their language to accommodate them, I extend the same courtesy to the country that I stay in during my time onshore. While one could, as you are, argue that English is THE international language; we are still guests in a country that does not have English as their primary language and I just deal with it.

• Like 2

There's now two international business languages - Chinese and English - it remains to be seen which will win out.

• Like 1

There's no argument that it will benefit each individual if they learn and master their English skills, it however should be left up to them if they want to learn it or not.

Yes Thai is only useful in Thailand but if a foreigner decided to retire or settle down in this country, learning a local language should be their 1st priority.

I been here for 6 years and I don't speak enough Thai to say I can speak it, but my excuse is my bad hearing. I however have no problems finding my way around or getting the info I need, there are many ways. OP could at least find a GF (or a BF, whatever he likes - anything is accepted in Thailand. wink.png ) and get them on a phone when he can't find any English speaking staff.

I have been here a while longer than you but like you I am audibly impaired, for Dave Boo it means I am partly deaf and after yoears working with jet fighters most of my hearing tones have gone too.

I can get around Thailand and get most things done though often I am asked if I speak Thai so I reply Dai Yin 50% in my right ear and perhaps 70% in my left ear., basically meaning I can't hear properly and most Thais are sympathetic. If I need something specific I can always phone my wife or a couple of Thai friends and if it is something that I think they may not know the words for I type the word in English, do a Google translate and if possible download a photo from the internet.

That usually works but if it doesn't I give up and try something else another day.

I live out in rural Thailand and most of the local people can understand me as I have been here long enough but further away is a little more difficult.

• Like 1

I been here for 6 years and I don't speak enough Thai to say I can speak it, but my excuse is my bad hearing. I however have no problems finding my way around or getting the info I need, there are many ways. OP could at least find a GF (or a BF, whatever he likes - anything is accepted in Thailand. wink.png ) and get them on a phone when he can't find any English speaking staff.

I have been here a while longer than you but like you I am audibly impaired, for Dave Boo it means I am partly deaf and after yoears working with jet fighters most of my hearing tones have gone too.

I can get around Thailand and get most things done though often I am asked if I speak Thai so I reply Dai Yin 50% in my right ear and perhaps 70% in my left ear., basically meaning I can't hear properly and most Thais are sympathetic. If I need something specific I can always phone my wife or a couple of Thai friends and if it is something that I think they may not know the words for I type the word in English, do a Google translate and if possible download a photo from the internet.

That usually works but if it doesn't I give up and try something else another day.

I live out in rural Thailand and most of the local people can understand me as I have been here long enough but further away is a little more difficult.

I wouldn't call you partly deaf! At least not loud enough for you to hear. wai.gif

I've also noticed that around the parts I'm from they have a lot easier time understanding my bumblings through the King's tongue than when I go elsewhere. Usually the other yokels look at me like I'm a dog whistling dixie or something.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call you partly deaf! At least not loud enough for you to hear. wai.gif

I've also noticed that around the parts I'm from they have a lot easier time understanding my bumblings through the King's tongue than when I go elsewhere. Usually the other yokels look at me like I'm a dog whistling dixie or something.

There are time you have to shout to make me hear.

Have a Great New Year.

I'm not about to go through all the drop down boxes to figure out the exact numbers, but it's obvious that the number of Kawasaki dealers overwhelms the paltry number of Big Wings out there and having the staff trained is a cost that I agree is just not worth it for them.

As I would be pissed if someone came to my country and demanded I learn their language to accommodate them, I extend the same courtesy to the country that I stay in during my time onshore. While one could, as you are, argue that English is THE international language; we are still guests in a country that does not have English as their primary language and I just deal with it.

sorry dave but you country speaks english, no?

moreover, i dont think so there is a large community of lets say thai people too and of course we dont expect a thai speaking staff there!

so, your comparison does not fully reflect that facts. english is the lingua franca now, asean is full on effect two days later and thailand is full of long term foreigners.

and they can hire an english speaking staff that training one too. like others do.

and, i can communicate in Thai as a longtermer here more than a guest. i respect that.

moreover, i dont think so there is a large community of lets say thai people too and of course we dont expect a thai speaking staff there!

so, your comparison does not fully reflect that facts. english is the lingua franca now, asean is full on effect two days later and thailand is full of long term foreigners.

and they can hire an english speaking staff that training one too. like others do.

and, i can communicate in Thai as a longtermer here more than a guest. i respect that.

Well, according to the Brits we speak a bastardised form of it....

Per this website, it appears that Thais make up 0.1% of the population. As that only includes citizens, I'd imagine the actual number to be higher. It's about the same as there being 48,000 long term expats in the Kingdom. Looking at wikipedia's page for demographics in Thailand, that ties in nicely with the number of native speakers of English!

You've essentially proved my point for me. You are a long timer and respect the system enough to ensure that you can get by. Those (admittedly millions of) guests are not going to be purchasing a motorbike, so why should the dealerships staff English speakers for them? If it's not expected to staff for Thai speakers in my home country, which we've shown has approximately the same percentage of 'native' Thai speakers as the percentage of 'native' English speakers in LoS, why should it be expected here?

But Kawasaki in Bangkok already do have some English speaking staff. I believe there are 3 main Kawasaki premises in Bangkok; Real Motorsports, Motoholic and Rama 9. The first two actually sell bikes so they do have them, Rama 9 doesn't really have them (one small guy with a little English) but it is understandable as no bikes are sold at Rama 9 as it's just a service and parts centre.

Though I do agree that Rama 9 should make the effort and have at least one staff member with half decent English skills. In Bangkok it is not hard to find someone with decent English skills and it wouldn't cost them that much more (if any) in salary.

Per this website, it appears that Thais make up 0.1% of the population. As that only includes citizens, I'd imagine the actual number to be higher. It's about the same as there being 48,000 long term expats in the Kingdom. Looking at wikipedia's page for demographics in Thailand, that ties in nicely with the number of native speakers of English!

You've essentially proved my point for me. You are a long timer and respect the system enough to ensure that you can get by. Those (admittedly millions of) guests are not going to be purchasing a motorbike, so why should the dealerships staff English speakers for them? If it's not expected to staff for Thai speakers in my home country, which we've shown has approximately the same percentage of 'native' Thai speakers as the percentage of 'native' English speakers in LoS, why should it be expected here?

Dave that wikipedia entry says more than 200,000 foriegners mainly from uk and north america not 48,000 plus it is not a new entry so with new updates i am sure it is much more than 200,000 as it is an official number.

There are many living and buying bikes with tourist visas.

Anyway, it should be good to have an english speaking staff at least at bangkok, pattaya, phuket, surat and cm branches. At least one. At least half english even thinglish.

Edited by ll2

Dave that wikipedia entry says more than 200,000 foriegners mainly from uk and north america not 48,000 plus it is not a new entry so with new updates i am sure it is much more than 200,000 as it is an official number.

There are many living and buying bikes with tourist visas.

Anyway, it should be good to have an english speaking staff at least at bangkok, pattaya, phuket, surat and cm branches. At least one. At least half english even thinglish.

No it doesn't.

Thailand is also a sanctuary for more than 200,000 foreigners either as retirees, extended tourists, and workers, from for example, Europe (specifically United Kingdom) and North America.

That includes Japanese, Filipinos, Indians, Nigerians, etc.

The link I gave listed 48K as the number of English speakers. And while it would be nice to have even thainglish spoken, we're a small part of the market. As I demonstrated, just as small as the Thai market is in my home country.

I understand the point of high foreigner concentration areas having staff on hand...screw the people that don't want to adapt or find a way around their shortcomings. We decided to come here to this country and we should have to deal with that decision; same as if someone had decided to come to our home countries.

• Like 1