Jomtien Beach Umbrellas

texanaust

In the last few days, I have observed a noticable decline in the number of chairs and umbrellas on the beach along Jomtien Beach Rd (Southern End). There are now sandy gaps between vendors in certain areas and some vendors this morning were taking umbrellas away in their pickups. Has someone cracked down on these businesses or am I imagining these new sandy gaps? Less Russians too.

• Like 1

Probably not enough customers to warrant putting them all up. I was there a couple of weeks ago with a few people and there were a few of other tables occupied, but not many.

Since when did not enough customers deter them from putting up rows ands rows of hideous chairs and umbrellas destroying an otherwise quite attractive seaview. Not Jomtien admittedly but I used to walk the length of beach road in Pattaya every day and virtually every inch of beach was covered with the things though I rarely saw more than 2 or 3 customers sitting under them at any one of the vendors pitches.

You are absolutely correct. Don't know what I was thinking, using logic when there is none.

• Like 2

Don't worry, the people in charge are bringing happiness ans everything is perfect already... or almost :-)

This is called marketing: you do nothing but tell the journashit to report that you have done sooooo manyyyy good things for the country !

• Like 2

As I understand it, and I have no confirmation, the beach concessions are now back where they were originally, many years ago. They have "spread out" over time, and filled up the gaps that were originally there when the concessions were granted. If you walk along Jomtien Beach, you can ( at the moment) see where City hall recently re-pegged out the official concessions ( with one metre between each concession) again. How long the pegs will remain in place, who knows ? In addition, the concession holders were told that all chairs, umbrellas, etc must be removed every evening, and that Wednesdays on the beach will be chair and umbrella free after January 1st.

We'll see !

• Like 1

Several months ago I was walking along Dongtan beach and there were 2 trucks filled with well dressed officials, some with civilian clothes and some wearing some sort of uniform. They were going from vendor to vendor and the discussions didn't look like they were being well received.

From my understanding, they were measuring the layouts and I guess getting them to comply with the width and length requirements. Maybe this is the result of that process????

Several months ago I was walking along Dongtan beach and there were 2 trucks filled with well dressed officials, some with civilian clothes and some wearing some sort of uniform. They were going from vendor to vendor and the discussions didn't look like they were being well received.

From my understanding, they were measuring the layouts and I guess getting them to comply with the width and length requirements. Maybe this is the result of that process????

You are correct but many of the changes have been delayed until after the peak season.

With the ridicolous prices they charge at the beach umbrellas/chairs: the less the better!

Now that was funny, a tourist travels half way around the world and can't afford the ridiculous price of 30 baht for a chair? Most pay the 100 baht for the white beds. Only a retired person like me is too cheap and opts for the 30=baht chair.

I think the problem is the vendors have encroached into open spaces and are harassing visitors who just want to sit on the beach with a towel. There should be room for both. I love the chairs and have used them many times. But many times, I'm down to the beach with my own chairs, my own food, and my own good bottle of wine. I don't need to be harassed. Plus, I like my chairs better! LOL

• Like 1

I think the problem is the vendors have encroached into open spaces and are harassing visitors who just want to sit on the beach with a towel. There should be room for both. I love the chairs and have used them many times. But many times, I'm down to the beach with my own chairs, my own food, and my own good bottle of wine. I don't need to be harassed. Plus, I like my chairs better! LOL

I agree the beach is a shared space and the needs of everybody should be and can be met. My condo is directly opposite one of the open areas on Jomtien Beach. The space is used primarily by Thais who cannot afford the chairs and by farang sun worshippers who don't want protection from sun or the services the concessionaires provide. The vendors do not harass these people(unlike the Koh Larn story). The beach is big enough for everybody but if there was not a demand for the concessions they would not exist, that is an economic reality.

Edited by ThaiBob

It is a pity that the English system for beach chairs is not used.

The beach is open for everybody .If you want a chair you pay but when you leave the vendor must collect and only rent to a customer.

Should you leave the beach the chair can be used for free by anybody if uncollected.

Edited by for real

With the ridicolous prices they charge at the beach umbrellas/chairs: the less the better!

How much do they charge

Please inform me

Thanks

30-50 Baht for the day last time i was there.

That's an excellent deal if you need one but to have those guys block the entire beach so you are forced to pay.. SCREW THEM & those obnoxious vendors pestering everybody ALL DAY LONG!

They turned the beach into a shanty town to prevent tourists from enjoying the beach.

• Like 1

How much do they charge

Please inform me

Thanks

30-50 Baht for the day last time i was there.

The rates are regulated by the City. 30 baht for the wooden/canvas chairs and 100 baht for white chaise loungers. The chairs are often grouped in pairs so if you put something in the the chair next to you, like I do, you could be charged more. And yes there have been reports of overcharging along Pattaya Beach Road near Central during the peak season.