Jomtien Beach Umbrellas

texanaust

I would not mind paying a premium for a decent chair. Nice clean comfortable. Most chairs I've seen are rotten.

I agree, they are so low that your arse is virtually in the sand, and struggling to get out and upright isn't easy when you're my age.

• Like 2

Moan, Groan, I have said this before, together with many others, why don't you just go home, The weather in Europe would be wonderful at this time of year. I had a friend who lived in Weymouth UK, we sometimes used the deck chairs, supplied from a surly vendor, they were something like 4 Pounds a day ( Baht 200) No problem with anyone "Pestering " you, as you were completely ignored all day.

I would not mind paying a premium for a decent chair. Nice clean comfortable. Most chairs I've seen are rotten.

I agree, they are so low that your arse is virtually in the sand, and struggling to get out and upright isn't easy when you're my age.

I agree too. I request a traditional plastic chair. My low canvass chair is now replaced with a nice high chair with a pillow. Life is good, cost is same same, 30 baht. My vendors are most accommodating.
  • Like 1

Moan, Groan, I have said this before, together with many others, why don't you just go home, The weather in Europe would be wonderful at this time of year. I had a friend who lived in Weymouth UK, we sometimes used the deck chairs, supplied from a surly vendor, they were something like 4 Pounds a day ( Baht 200) No problem with anyone "Pestering " you, as you were completely ignored all day.

Yeah, why don't people just put up with any kind of sh*t that's dished up to them?

• Like 2

But do they leave the chairs on the spot all day from sunrise?

Or ,like the beaches in England I go to. must they collect empty chairs and only allow them to customers?

leaving the beach free for those that have their own seating .

Yeah, why don't people just put up with any kind of sh*t that's dished up to them?

Exactly. Like it's acceptable for a parade of disrespectful vendors to be in your face all day?

I'd like to wring the neck of anyone that supports those sales tactics.

The LAST time I was on the beach, trying to sleep, the bastards had the nerve to shake my shoulder to wake me up! My blood pressure hasn't gone down since.

Hard to relax when you are contemplating a felony assault.

The vendors are way over the line with the hard sell, pestering approach. Annoy people until 'they break' and buy something. If I want a wooden frog, a leather belt, sunglasses or some dirty fried shrimp, I know where to go... and it aint the beach.

• Like 1

Or ,like the beaches in England I go to. must they collect empty chairs and only allow them to customers?

The chairs are setup at sunrise and removed and stacked at the end of the day. The chairs are setup as regulated by the City. They are taken down with the umbrellas when it rains and put up again weather permitting. There are free areas of the beach for those who don't want the services the concessionaires provide. The area by the Dongtan police box and a larger area by Pattaya Park just to name two.

Well,that seemed to have struck a nerve with all you lovely people !! I think it best the "Thai Bashers" don't go anywhere near the beach, I live facing Dongtan beach, and would hate to hear the ambulance siren on route to a heart attack victim that was brought on by high blood pressure. So best stay away, just to be sure.

The chairs are setup at sunrise and removed and stacked at the end of the day. The chairs are setup as regulated by the City. They are taken down with the umbrellas when it rains and put up again weather permitting. There are free areas of the beach for those who don't want the services the concessionaires provide. The area by the Dongtan police box and a larger area by Pattaya Park just to name two.

I noticed in Jomtien there is quite a bit of beach area shaded by nice big trees. Why do they crowd us out with umbrellas in the shaded areas?

It would be nice to go have a picnic or take a nap there on a hot afternoon but ...you can't.

Admittedly there is some nice shaded beach in the Dongtan (or is it tan dong?) but it's pretty gay with lots of public man on man massage happening.

No thanks.

• Like 1

The chairs and umbrellas would be fine it the were new, clean and looked presentable

The ones in Pattaya and Jomtien are old eye sores.

They should make the it so part of the beach has the unbrellas and chairs available

while certain parts are chair and umbrella free

Personally, I prefer to lie out in the sun and not be covered by an old rotten smelly umbrella

Hat the chairs or umbrellas ever been cleaned?

I noticed in Jomtien there is quite a bit of beach area shaded by nice big trees. Why do they crowd us out with umbrellas in the shaded areas?

It would be nice to go have a picnic or take a nap there on a hot afternoon but ...you can't.

Admittedly there is some nice shaded beach in the Dongtan (or is it tan dong?) but it's pretty gay with lots of public man on man massage happening.

No thanks.

The two areas I mentioned are very family oriented. The shaded areas you mention have not yet had the trees trimmed so don't expect shade in the future. The tree trimming will resume I am told when the City has the money. I use the word trimming loosely as butchering is a better word, but this another story.

• Like 1

There must be two Jomtien beaches, as the one ThaiBob describes is not the beach I walk every day. 70 and counting? Hardly. SOME beach chairs may be acceptable, but not the whole darn beach! Perhaps hundred feet of chairs, 150 feet of open space.

Regarding shade trees, the city has loved to cut those down. Last time they did butcher job from my condo entrance (JB Condo) down to football field I counted 17 new stumps. Wonderful shade for walking on pathway, shade for waiting for baht bus. Now during my 9 am walk I walk side by businesses, as they provide shade.... absolute travesty imho. I figure it may have been combination of umbrella mafia and restaurants that got that destruction going.

I end my walk down by soi 6 circle. When I first came years ago there were 3-4 great shade trees for those sitting at the circle. Butcher job again. And all the free benches that were hauled away never to be seen again. Tourists now sit on inadequate curb. Cops told me reason they went away was "crime suppression" Yeah, right.... They could not screw up the beaches more if they had somehow been educated in destroying a tourist attraction....

• Like 1

The views expressed here are contrary to the wishes of the vast majority of tourists and many farang residents like myself. I sit with friends and like the European style of beaches with chairs, umbrellas and full service. We order lunches from the concessionaires and buy fruit, chicken, Seafood from the passing vendors. This is what the majority of tourists want and the proposed changes are ludicrous. Farangs are signing petitions against the changes and being asked to call 1337 to protest. Closing the beach for a cleaning one day a week? Dumb, dumb, dumb. I would be pissed traveling half way around the world for a few days in Pattaya and finding the beach closed.

Btw, the concessionaires are licensed annually by the City, have no formal leases, but the licenses are transferable. Recently during this peak season more chairs are added as needed to meet the demand. There are currently 70 people sitting in our section. I

I agree to a point.. As I also tend to prefer the chairs and umbrellas...

I usually go to the beach with the family, so like sitting in the shade relaxing, while the kids have fun swimming and playing in the sand

That being said, there should be both options... There should be free beach area for those who want to sunbathe on the beach to do so, without being hassled.

At the same time, would be great to have the chair and umbrellas still available in some spots for those of us that prefer this.

Ever see a TAT brochure or promotion?

They show pristine beaches and not the shanty town slum setup but crooked city officials chose greed over tourist needs and illegally rented the designated open space to vendors. Looks like crap.

Around 90% of tourists like open space according to my brief survey.

Tourists expect to see what is in the brochure, not some junkyard.

If a tourist needs an umbrella and a stinky chair, fine, set one up...just don't illegally commandeer the entire beach because you are a greedy bastard.

Your brief survey (bs) is truly bs or crap. I would say your numbers are reversed. I am here on holiday with my friends and have been coming to the beach for 15 years. We come specifically for the umbrellas and chairs. If I wanted a "free" beach I would have stayed in America. A few days ago the big change was implemented and the beach is "free" (and little used) from the Rabbit Resort all the way north. A classic case of minority rules as all the beach customers (the vast majority) are squeezed in to a much smaller space. I never seen a country that can shoot itself in the foot and destroy tourism and the poor individuals who make a living from it must suffer. Of course, the people calling the shots now could care less for the common man. And yes I have signed one of the protest petitions and talked to those in uniform about these changes. Reply, big boss (army) want. And we all know to whom he refers.

• Like 1

My brief survey can be verified by taking a look for yourself. The new open areas were crowded and the adjacent chair areas had very few when I inspected.

Those 'poor individuals' were evicted because they made illegal deals with criminals from city hall and stole the public beach.

Still there are too many umbrella concessions in my view but if people enjoy sitting on those filthy stinking chairs drenched in dogpiss ... Up to them.

• Like 1

I live right next to one of the free areas. The area is used by sunbathers,swimmers, Thais, and families with young children playing in the water. Few of these people require, need or want the services provided by the concessionaires. My friends would never sunbathe and demand protection from the sun. My days of lying in the sand are long gone and demand the services that the concessionaires provide. Each to his own. The number of free users might fill one beach concession on a busy. There are about 30 concessionaires between the police box and near the Rabbit Resort where they now end.

Btw, you just pulled a boner, there was nothing illegal about the agreements, licensing and regulations signed with the City.

Nonsense.

According to Mr.Chaowalit Saeng-u-tai-deputy chief of Chonburi, Pattaya officials are now evicting beach operators that didn’t have legal permission.

In addition almost all operators had broken the rules by operating out of their permitted area, exploiting the public area, preventing tourists from enjoying the beach.

Edited by BoneRanger
  • Like 1

Btw, you just pulled a boner, there was nothing illegal about the agreements, licensing and regulations signed with the City.

Nonsense.

According to Mr.Chaowalit Saeng-u-tai-deputy chief of Chonburi, Pattaya officials are now evicting beach operators that didnt have legal permission.

In addition almost all operators had broken the rules by operating out of their permitted area, exploiting the public area, preventing tourists from enjoying the beach.

Nonsense. The thread is Jomtien Beach umbrellas, not Pattaya Beach and certainly not the incidents at Koh Larn. The beach concessionaires I deal with are hard working individuals who are just trying to make a living, something few people realize or even care about. They follow the rules do what they are told. And yes you can always find the bad apple in every barrel.

If they were not breaking the law...why were they evicted?

Bribing a crooked city official doesn't give you the right to exploit the beach and force tourists into using the service.

According to Mr.Chaowalit Saeng-u-tai-deputy chief of Chonburi 50% were illegal and the rest were operating outside their designated area.

Can't you read?

Edited by BoneRanger

If they were not breaking the law...why were they evicted?

Bribing a crooked city official doesn't give you the right to exploit the beach and force tourists into using the service.

According to Mr.Chaowalit Saeng-u-tai-deputy chief of Chonburi 50% were illegal and the rest were operating outside their designated area.

Can't you read?

I can read but you can't. What is the title of this thread, Jomtien Beach umbrellas , say three times please, Jomtien Beach umbrellas, maybe it will sink. Not Pattaya Beach, not Koh Larn. In particular we have been discussing a particular portion of the beach so don't confuse the discussion. I have just past the free beach by the police box. I physically counted about 25 users. There were more people than that in just the first three chair sections of greatly reduced in size concessions. One change is now the vendors there have almost exclusively white loungers to make up for lost income.

Yes ThaiBob, Jomtien. That's where I stay.

The city has evicted the illegal chair/umbrella people and the tourists are lovin it.

The newly open beach areas are very popular. Thousands of people using the open space today.

Strange you are bent on defending the criminals that commandeered the beach to prevent visitors from enjoying the sand.

I understand you like the chair setup. There still is plenty. Too many.

I went and redid my brief beach survey today with photos.

-Less than1% of the beach umbrella chairs are occupied today.

Maybe 1 tourists for every 300 chairs in reality.

Why do they set up like that without any customers?

post-229739-0-04183700-1420700890_thumb.post-229739-0-55725800-1420700900_thumb.post-229739-0-61708500-1420700907_thumb.post-229739-0-86073200-1420700913_thumb.

post-229739-0-20520600-1420700946_thumb.post-229739-0-85677500-1420700960_thumb.post-229739-0-87975600-1420700970_thumb.

Edited by BoneRanger
  • Like 1

Yes ThaiBob, Jomtien. That's where I stay.

The city has evicted the illegal chair/umbrella people and the tourists are lovin it.

The newly open beach areas are very popular. Thousands of people using the open space today.

Strange you are bent on defending the criminals that commandeered the beach to prevent visitors from enjoying the sand.

I understand you like the chair setup. There still is plenty. Too many.

I went and redid my brief beach survey today with photos.

-Less than1% of the beach umbrella chairs are occupied today.

Maybe 1 tourists for every 300 chairs in reality.

Why do they set up like that without any customers?

attachicon.gifchair empty 1.jpgattachicon.gifchairs 3.jpgattachicon.gifchairs 5.jpgattachicon.gifchairs 6.jpg

attachicon.gifbeach open 2.jpgattachicon.gifbeach open 5.jpgattachicon.gifbeach open 6.jpg

Hey Kemosabe, I was at the beach today and there was rain and it is not a beach day. Yesterday was much busier and my section had 50 people in it and that was more than the free section. The loneranger speaks the truth but the boneranger doesn't. No one was evicted, the concessions were forced to move ultimately by order of the army, El General, El Duce. Their leases, licenses, permissions (whatever) are still in order, legal and valid. I am a tourist, my friends are tourists and you do not speak for tourists and are obviously antitourism or bitter about something.

Am I right in saying that there are now fines for littering in the beach areas--and the army are involved in the changes?

Not quite, there have always been fines for littering and have nothing to do with the changes or the Army. In fact, the dirtiest sections on the beach are the free public areas because nobody is responsible for maintaining the area and City lacks the resources to do so. The beach concessionaire as a condition of their license must main their area. My section of the beach is spotless. If you want trash go to the free area.