Visit Our office

Please put up basic price list or is as the rest of the places (cannot be called hospitals or clinics) that make up the bill as they wish

If I went into a grocery store I would expect to see prices for the things I wished to buy- a "price list." If I shopped online, I would like to see prices- a "price list." If I went into fancy restaurant on 5th ave NYC and there were no prices listed- a "price list," most would say I should not be eating there if I require to know such prices. With these two contrasts in mind I would like to comment on your "price list" point.

How on could someone post a "price list" on a forum venue that is archived? It is possible to list, hrmm, for example, "special" this month "IPL laser for facial hair only 5,000baht." Sure, special promotions could be listed but how would one list prices? In fact, if I saw a medical establishment that published a "price list" I would run away. For example for:

• Patient arrived with productive cough x 2 weeks, low grade fever, no appetite, complains also of diarrhea. No allergies. No meds.
  • A doctor must evaluate this person, order blood tests, perhaps based on those findings, run a urinalysis or dengue titer, perhaps note dehydration, and run a central intravenous line of normal saline to stabilize the vascular system. Order any number of appropriate meds.
  • Perhaps order xray film of chest.

As a farang who objects to two tier price system I see your point (I think) that there are those who prey upon non thai people. However, it is also faulty logic that a medical establishment without a price list is somehow shady or priced non competitively. How could one possibly enumerate and price out every possible testing/treatment modality that may arise in any given patient. Furthermore, prices change but TV forum gets archived and is always present.

My only issue with your post is that I reach a totally different view: if a medical establishment posts prices for other than specials I would be very concerned to have my care there.

Just wanted to share my experience with this health clinic. Last week I finally made the trip to Nathon for my Thai drivers licence. As part of that process I needed to get a medical certificate where my blood pressure was measured. This was the first time in the last year that I had it measured and found that it was very high. The doctor issued the certificate and suggested that I follow up on the measurement.

I contacted this clinic and they suggested that I come in twice a week for a month to get it measured. At the end of the month a doctor would provide further recommendations. I went in yesterday for first measurement. Filled out the normal health information sheet and interviewed about medical history by a pleasant nurse, that spoke excellent english. She said to relax for 10 minutes and they would measure it, once again it was high. They said to relax for a further 15 minutes, and at that time it was lower, but still a little higher then what it should be. Told me to come back next week and continue the monitoring.

All of this for FREE, love it.

• Like 2

Just wanted to share my experience with this health clinic. Last week I finally made the trip to Nathon for my Thai drivers licence. As part of that process I needed to get a medical certificate where my blood pressure was measured. This was the first time in the last year that I had it measured and found that it was very high. The doctor issued the certificate and suggested that I follow up on the measurement.

I contacted this clinic and they suggested that I come in twice a week for a month to get it measured. At the end of the month a doctor would provide further recommendations. I went in yesterday for first measurement. Filled out the normal health information sheet and interviewed about medical history by a pleasant nurse, that spoke excellent english. She said to relax for 10 minutes and they would measure it, once again it was high. They said to relax for a further 15 minutes, and at that time it was lower, but still a little higher then what it should be. Told me to come back next week and continue the monitoring.

All of this for FREE, love it.

Waste of time Hoaxman. No resident doctors, no government license listed, survives on commissions like Samui Rescue ?

For Blood pressure check anyone can get that done for free, at the local clinics (Maenam for sure) and Nathon Hospital... in fact there it is "self service" in Nathon Hospital.... but do wait (sit) the 10 mins before doing! Probably one in Lamai and other areas too...?

Any of the nurses will tell you if high, normal or low.... But a doctor would need to prescribe medication if it is needed..

I am not trying to undermine the services of the clinic.... but more as a convenience for people know who are not living close by...SMS wink.png

• Like 1

You can also have your blood pressure checked at many pharmacies. My local one does this.

However, as this new facility seems to be offering a good service - 'if it ain't broken -don't fix it!'

You seem to have received excellent service there hoxman. I will certainly give them a try. I need to have my blood tested every three months.

Most hospitals insist that I see a doctor first. Then they send you for the blood test before you see him!!!! What a waste of money (mine).

I know what my problem is - when the chemicals in my blood reach a certain level - THEN I will need a doctor!

I'll let you know how I get on at SMS.

• Like 2

For Blood pressure check anyone can get that done for free, at the local clinics (Maenam for sure) and Nathon Hospital... in fact there it is "self service" in Nathon Hospital.... but do wait (sit) the 10 mins before doing! Probably one in Lamai and other areas too...?

Any of the nurses will tell you if high, normal or low.... But a doctor would need to prescribe medication if it is needed..

I am not trying to undermine the services of the clinic.... but more as a convenience for people know who are not living close by...SMS wink.png

Definitely, good point; thanks!

• Like 1

I did research on accreditation the other day and made an error in my post.

There only two hospitals/Medical Services on Koh Samui which meet the stringent JCI Accreditation of Hospitals.

Samui Medical Services/Sir Phala Hospital and Bangkok International Hospital are the only two medical facilities on Samui with this very stringent accreditation. I had noted there were others; I was mistaken.

• Like 1

To be clear, JCI Accreditation is not that far removed from IS9001/2, it's a confirmation that processes are documented and has nothing to do with the ability of doctors to treat patients or the medical standing of a hospital.

• Like 1

To be clear, JCI Accreditation is not that far removed from IS9001/2, it's a confirmation that processes are documented and has nothing to do with the ability of doctors to treat patients or the medical standing of a hospital.

I do not know about JCI accreditation - but ISO9001/2 does guarantee at least a minimum level of quality. (If the accreditation is carried out properly.)

I am not saying that the quality is of a minimum level - just that there is definitely a quality service available to a recognised standard.

A simple example.

Non accredited hospital - any Tom, Dick or Harry can take your temperature and blood presure and record it on a chart. They may or may not have had proper training. How you are told to position your arm and where the pressure pad is placed can have an effect on the reading of your blood pressure.

Accredited hospital - all personal carrying out this activity will have been trained, records kept and checked on a regular basis.

However - chiang mai raises one salient point. None of this helps if the person treating you is having a bad day!!! There is nothing that anyone can do about that.

I will still give SMS a go.

• Like 1

So - I went along to SMS yesterday and asked for a blood test.

Had to go through the whole routine of course - new patient.

Two nice young ladies at reception - both spoke very good English.

Met the doctor and explained what I was after. She asked why was was going to them for blood tests and I explained about the hassle/costs at other hospitals. She made a phone call and gave me a quote there and then. A lot less then I have paid at another hospital.

As an aside - a nice bit of unprompted customer service.

I asked the doctor if it was OK for me to still give blood after having caught dengue in December - she did not know. Later on she tracked me down in the hospital - she had checked and said that it was OK as long as I was strong enough.

All in all - a pleasant experience (compared to some of the other hospitals) and certainly good value. Also, as I live in Plai Laem, much more convenient.

I think that their facilities are limited in some ways at the moment (eg open from 7.00 to 22.00). but I am sure that things will increase as they get more patients. I will definitely use them again.

• Like 1

Doctors are required to recall/have access to a vast amount of knowledge of medical science and changing standards and practices and procedures- many, many often changing books. I am pretty certain that most med schools train students that it is not necessary to ever have the entire Merck Manual or Harrison's Internal Medicine in your head at all times. What is vital is that you know where to find the information. This is what makes a doctor- the ability to find the information, make the connections, marry that with experience, complaint, and observation, and provide a treatment. Frankly, this is what makes anyone good in life.

What some docs do is refer you to the nurse; "go ask lab;" or simply say "ask the blood donation people." A good doctor will chase the answer down for you. Besides, blood banking procedures and restrictions change constantly. I personally prefer to know my doc knows where to find an answer rather than pull one out of a hat.

• Like 2