Indian tourists killed in van crash on elevated road to Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

The circumstances involving this accident aren't clear yet, but whatever happened it is a tragedy for all those involved and their loved ones. Posters have stated the usual comments about a total lack of law enforcement on Thai roads and minvans in particular. If there is a 'silver lining' in this tragedy it is the report that the victims are related to Indian diplomats. Let's hope the Indian Goverment applies some diplomatic pressure on their Thai counterparts to highlight the urgent need for some safety control of minivans and highway driving in general.

We were headed to Bangkok last week. In the fast lane of the motorway doing 100km or so. Quite a bit of traffic, moving along nicely, but lots of vehicles.

I'm pretty good about keeping my distance. Tough to do here as even a small gap gets taken advantage of many times.

All of a sudden, the cars in front were moving over. Fast. It happened quickly. They had blocked a majority of the fast lane with NO advance warning. There were 3-4 cones fairly near each other that were blocking off the fast lane, with maintenance vehicles right behind them.

All you have to do is be distracted for just a few seconds, and you're into blocked lane and a major accident. I also see these water trucks all the time in Pattaya. No flashing lights, no workers waving a flag a bit up the road. Just there in the fast lane moving slow.

Maybe you are from the UK, and if so you should know that the Highway Police would immediately frown on you for referring to the outside lane of any highway as the 'fast' lane. When speeding motorists are stopped by the Police, they are always reminded of the fact that the outside lane is just that, or more correctly the 'overtaking' lane. I'm not suggesting you were 'speeding' when the incident you refer to took place, but for heaven's sake, just remember where you are, and what to expect ie 'the unexpected'!

Agreed. First rule of the road, as I remember

'Keep left unless overtaking"

I know it can be difficult at times. but that's the rule.

that video is really horrible.

the drivers always text with big tablets while they drive.

two or three seconds distraction makes the difference.

i had to keep making sure my driver was still awake during my last trip.

if you are reading this and thinking about coming to Thailand and think this is rare or it will not happen to you, think again.

Quite rare I believe. rolleyes.gif

http://driving-in-thailand.com/accidents-involving-minivans/

Indian tourists killed in van crash on elevated road to airport

29-12-2557-14-57-33-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two Indian tourists and a Thai driver were killed and eight other Indians injured when their rented van rammed at the rear of a water truck on the elevated motorway to Suvarnabhumi airport this morning.

The tourists were on the way to the airport to take a flight to Phuket on a tour.

The incident happened on the elevated road to the airport.

Some of the injured tourists are relatives of the Indian diplomats to Thailand.

The water truck was watering plants and flowers on the elevated road when it was rammed at the rear at high speed.

All the injured were admitted to Walailak hospital.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/indian-tourists-killed-van-crash-elevated-road-airport

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-12-29

Relatives of Indian diplomats eh? I hope they come down on this hell hole and give these stupid drivers a good kicking thats what they need. <deleted> sick of having to play with my life just crossing a road.. 2 more weeks and im finaly out of this dump.

Let me guess they were doing over 100 mph and tail gating the water truck. The mini vans do seem to be the most dangerous way to travel in Thailand. Foreigners seem to love the death traps. Tried to warn a guy the other day it was better to perhaps take a bus. His answer and he had newbie written all over him. "I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING ! " Yea right i said as i walked away. Idiot !

"Let me guess they were doing over 100 mph and tail gating the water truck."

Not a good guess I see. The water truck was probably stationary and I doubt it could achieve 70,mph

We were headed to Bangkok last week. In the fast lane of the motorway doing 100km or so. Quite a bit of traffic, moving along nicely, but lots of vehicles.

I'm pretty good about keeping my distance. Tough to do here as even a small gap gets taken advantage of many times.

All of a sudden, the cars in front were moving over. Fast. It happened quickly. They had blocked a majority of the fast lane with NO advance warning. There were 3-4 cones fairly near each other that were blocking off the fast lane, with maintenance vehicles right behind them.

All you have to do is be distracted for just a few seconds, and you're into blocked lane and a major accident. I also see these water trucks all the time in Pattaya. No flashing lights, no workers waving a flag a bit up the road. Just there in the fast lane moving slow.

Maybe you are from the UK, and if so you should know that the Highway Police would immediately frown on you for referring to the outside lane of any highway as the 'fast' lane. When speeding motorists are stopped by the Police, they are always reminded of the fact that the outside lane is just that, or more correctly the 'overtaking' lane. I'm not suggesting you were 'speeding' when the incident you refer to took place, but for heaven's sake, just remember where you are, and what to expect ie 'the unexpected'!

That's the rule in the UK, it's not a rule in Thailand.

• Like 1

Indian tourists killed in van crash on elevated road to airport

29-12-2557-14-57-33-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two Indian tourists and a Thai driver were killed and eight other Indians injured when their rented van rammed at the rear of a water truck on the elevated motorway to Suvarnabhumi airport this morning.

The tourists were on the way to the airport to take a flight to Phuket on a tour.

The incident happened on the elevated road to the airport.

Some of the injured tourists are relatives of the Indian diplomats to Thailand.

The water truck was watering plants and flowers on the elevated road when it was rammed at the rear at high speed.

All the injured were admitted to Walailak hospital.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/indian-tourists-killed-van-crash-elevated-road-airport

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-12-29

Relatives of Indian diplomats eh? I hope they come down on this hell hole and give these stupid drivers a good kicking thats what they need. <deleted> sick of having to play with my life just crossing a road.. 2 more weeks and im finaly out of this dump.

Please don't come back and waste your precious time on THAI Visa, just quietly go back to where you can give other drivers a good kicking; I am sure they will be lined up at the airport waiting for you.

• Like 1

Driving without due care and attention, likely, but frequently see these water trucks and others putting up fairy lights on the central res at the most inopportune times of day, namely rush hour! Beggar's belief!

A trained commercial driver must take EVERYTHING into account doing his job... I was one so I know.

• Like 1

Well in my experience water rucks tend to be rather large and brightly coloured, many have powerful illuminated signs that show arrows regarding which direction one should take to avoid ramming said truck.

I live in the area and I can assure you that many of these tourist trap vans are driven or perhaps I should say ''aimed'' at top speed with no considerateness to traffic flow rate, direction of flow, or any other road user or any consideration for current road or weather conditions either whilst trying to home in on their target of the departure level at Swampy.

I am of the mind that the greater majority of these van ''drivers'' are reincarnated Kamikaze pilots working for Banzai van lines

In fairness, these trucks have no business being put onto high speed roads to water anything. Presumably no signs, maybe a hazard light of you are lucky.

The expressway is an expressway and avoiding water trucks shouldn't be part of the hazards. Get rid of the bloody plants.

I had this near my home upcountry which was was on large road in the city.

Every year without fail at least a couple of motorcycle accidents from water on the road, all to save a few spindly plants bought at some ludicrous price to beautify the city.

"The expressway is an expressway............"

They weren't actually on the Motorway (Rte 7) they were on the approach road to the Suvarnabhumi airport, for what it's worth, and a professional responsible driver should always be prepared to expect the unexpected. Sadly most of the van "pilots" in this country are far from professional, along with the majority of tour bus drivers. Hence the carnage.

Edited by ratcatcher

Stopping distance = reaction time + braking distance
Speed (km(h)
reaction time = ------------------- x 3
Speed (km(h)
normal braking distance = --------------------- x 10
So if you drive 100 (km/h)
the stopping distance is 130 meters.
the reaction time only is 30 meters.
If then an unskilled minibus driver, drive with 100 km/h in 5 meters distance on my rear bumper, it is an idiot then.
No driving license for minibus and bus drivers who do not understand these simple physical formulas!
Edited by tomacht8

That's the rule in the UK, it's not a rule in Thailand.

I know that, but Joe Brown was talking about the UK in his post.

Stopping distance = reaction time + braking distance
Speed (km(h)
reaction time = ------------------- x 3
Speed (km(h)
normal braking distance = --------------------- x 10
So if you drive 100 (km/h)
the stopping distance is 130 meters.

the reaction time only is 30 meters.

If then a unskilled minibus driver, drive with 100 km/h in 5 meters distance on my rear bumper, it is an idiot then.
No driving license for minibus and bus drivers who do not understand these simple physical formulas!
"If then a unskilled minibus driver, drive with 100 km/h in 5 meters distance on my rear bumper, it is an idiot then."

Aha, there we have it! post-9891-0-04791100-1419859016_thumb.jp

I almost got rear-ended by a motorbike this afternoon in Chiang Rai. I stopped at a zebra crossing to let 3 pedestrians cross. I was in a car, and heard the motorbike's tires screech. Usually they zip around me when I stop at a z-crossing, so it's an added danger for pedestrians - who can walk in front of my car, and then possibly be hit by a motorbike zipping around my side. I should probably just do as the Thais do, and not be considerate about pedestrians, as it might put them in added danger.

• Like 1

There is NO excuse for not seeing a water truck. If you was driving at the correct speed with your eyes open. Free of drink and drugs. Not changing cd's or texting on your phone. Or perhaps having an argument with your wife, even on hands free. Its not rocket science, just common sense.

Yeah right. That exactly what one expects to see in the outside lane of the expressway. A water truck moving at 10k per hour. You are an arrogant fool.

Best or worst I ever saw was a car parked on the downslope of one of the humps of the klongs on the to highway to pattaya.

My heart rate went to 200 as I came over the brow of the hump.

NO, YOU ARE AN ARROGANT FOOL. if you live and drive in Thailand you bl..dy well do expect to see water trucks and anything else in the outside lane of the motorway, even police cars going the wrong way. If you can't handle it, don't drive here.

18 years and no dings.

Water trucks should not be up on the expressway watering flowers. Or do you think that is a good idea?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Which is exactly what the law in the UK is.

There is NO excuse for not seeing a water truck. If you was driving at the correct speed with your eyes open. Free of drink and drugs. Not changing cd's or texting on your phone. Or perhaps having an argument with your wife, even on hands free. Its not rocket science, just common sense.

Yeah right. That exactly what one expects to see in the outside lane of the expressway. A water truck moving at 10k per hour. You are an arrogant fool.

Best or worst I ever saw was a car parked on the downslope of one of the humps of the klongs on the to highway to pattaya.

My heart rate went to 200 as I came over the brow of the hump.

I have no sympathy with any driver who drives 'without due care and attention' on any Thai road. However, anyone whose spent more than a couple of months on the roads here should remember that EU or US driving conditions don't exist, and one should drive so as to 'expect the unexpected'. Your arrogance and lack of understanding of the fundamentals of driving in LOS is beyond belief.

Yeah yeah 18 years and thousands of trips around Thailand. If you can plan ahead that someone will park their car in the outside lane of a tollway, great man you are.

Water trucks should not be watering on the expressway, it is very dangerous. The road is planned for 90kmh. Maintenance lorries should have massive signage and safety around them

Looking at the pictures. Little or nothing. The van is not 100% to blame for this.

Well in my experience water rucks tend to be rather large and brightly coloured, many have powerful illuminated signs that show arrows regarding which direction one should take to avoid ramming said truck.

I live in the area and I can assure you that many of these tourist trap vans are driven or perhaps I should say ''aimed'' at top speed with no considerateness to traffic flow rate, direction of flow, or any other road user or any consideration for current road or weather conditions either whilst trying to home in on their target of the departure level at Swampy.

I am of the mind that the greater majority of these van ''drivers'' are reincarnated Kamikaze pilots working for Banzai van lines

In fairness, these trucks have no business being put onto high speed roads to water anything. Presumably no signs, maybe a hazard light of you are lucky.

The expressway is an expressway and avoiding water trucks shouldn't be part of the hazards. Get rid of the bloody plants.

Every year without fail at least a couple of motorcycle accidents from water on the road, all to save a few spindly plants bought at some ludicrous price to beautify the city.

Not only that, but I saw a street sweeping truck on the Tollway to Don Mueng today. Taking up the left lane in the mid afternoon with cars flying past at 90km/h in the next lane. It's a disaster waiting to happen and very typical of Thais careless disregard for road safety. I know a lot of people here deride drunk driving and speeding as large cause of accidents but the way the authorities have designed and maintain the roads is a major problem as well.

Edited by Time Traveller

Not only that, but I saw a street sweeping truck on the Tollway to Don Mueng today. Taking up the left lane in the mid afternoon with cars flying past at 90km/h in the next lane. It's a disaster waiting to happen and very typical of Thais careless disregard for road safety. I know a lot of people here deride drunk driving and speeding as large cause of accidents but the way the authorities have designed and maintain the roads is a major problem as well.

If they undertook it with signage and warnings, flashing lights and the such on the road and trucks it would be ok.

But taking a look at the video this is one of those light blue old trucks with a hose. Probably creeping a long at 20kmh in the outside lane.

It is as you say, a disaster waiting to happen, and sadly it has.

Drive with brain connected and locked in.

On a motor way there is a granted right to speed-up and all incidents are related to excessive speed.

Why not abolish all rules at all? Motorist would have the freedom to speed-up but should care all happen on the road. No granted right, no insurance refund.

A giant track with no road sign, barriers, warning displays, just eyes wide open and focus on driving.

More or less is exactly as BKK traffic, there is law but the the practice is another, the big get in first, the very tiny run its last ride, the jam is equal for all.

If is late and you're gonna lose your plane let it be, that's better than topic said.

Condolence to families

I was surprised to find that Thailand is tied with Russia for the second most traffic fatalities. Unsurprisingly, the U.S. is first. I knew there a large number of fatalities in Thailand, but to think that a country of 76 million is runner up to a country of something like 300 million is mind boggling.

U.S. 36,000. 11.6 per 100,000 population

Thailand 26,000. 38.1 per 100,000. 2nd highest in the world (Libya at 40.5)

2010 statistics.

From http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Have to wonder how many of Thailand's are motorcycle with no helmet.

I was once driving in the outside lane on the motorway to Pattaya doing about 120 Km/hour at a safe distance (at least I thought so) when suddenly the first van for some weird reason decided to stop in the middle of the road.

The second van braked and swerved and I did the same, missing him by one or two centimetres. I don't know why but the car behind me didn't see the van stopping and went straight into the first van. Suddenly cars were spinning round in all directions and ending up on the side of the road.

I wanted to stop and check that no one was hurt but the wife was really insistent that we continued. She said I would somehow get some of the blame. I was shaken but carried on.

You must really be alert on the roads in Thailand.

To bad that this has to happen over and over again.

On a few occasions many years ago I was traveling as a passenger in such a van. On more than one occasion I feared that I wouldn't reach my destination alive.
It looks like most of those drivers lack all respect for their on board passengers, let alone for the other participants on the Thai race tracks.
Needless to remind the comment a van driver gave to a passenger who made a short video clip, which was posted here somewhere, as he vented his concerns about his and the other passengers' safety.

RIP to the 2 people who got killed and I hope for a speedy recovery of the injured passengers.

I was surprised to find that Thailand is tied with Russia for the second most traffic fatalities. Unsurprisingly, the U.S. is first. I knew there a large number of fatalities in Thailand, but to think that a country of 76 million is runner up to a country of something like 300 million is mind boggling.

U.S. 36,000. 11.6 per 100,000 population

Thailand 26,000. 38.1 per 100,000. 2nd highest in the world (Libya at 40.5)

2010 statistics.

From http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Have to wonder how many of Thailand's are motorcycle with no helmet.

Interesting.

motorcycle with no helmet.

I live on an island and the biggest problem are the crazy local minibus and taxi drivers rustling with 80-100 km / h over populated narrow asphalt slopes.

They know, that some drunken Foreigners make u-turns before the girly bars.

Even there helmes didn´t help them to survive.

To install and inforce some speedlimits on critical points must be there first task, in my opinion.

That's a really good point. Apart from the racing van drivers, the road works and lack of warnings are appalling (in most countries a branch pulled onto the road doesn't qualify as a warning sign). RIP to the 3 fatalities and speedy recovery to the rest