I am moving to Thailand!

1happykamper

Slightly off topic but may I ask why you are leaving Mejico HC?

I want to move to Thailand. Just a different place to explore. Mexico is a great place but the prices are getting close to USA prices and affordability and desire to spend $700 on rent is not my cuppa tea

"getting close to USA prices"???????????????

The prices in Thailand over the last 8 years have gone up- and the prices in the USA have apparently gone down- especially with the advent of Amazon.com.

Add to that: In the west, there is a pretty large middle class- and these people flood the market with good quality, resonably priced second hand goods.

In Thailand- not only is there less of a middle class- (and less goods), there is NO standardization of prices. This means- a three year old car is put up for sale at just below the price of a new one.

I do music- and it's almost impossible to find any descent music gear here- yet in every major city in the west- hundreds of musical instruments go up for sale every single day in every major city.

I don't know what the OP's hobbies are- but depending on his lifestyle, 65,000 Baht a month can go pretty quickly out the door.

Knowing what I know now- if I had to come to Thailand and start the learning curve for living here now- I would not do it!

Thailand has become- what's the American term I am looking for here..................a yes! "A clip joint"

Thousands of people come here every year to be clipped and fleeced.

Do your homework!

Uncle Bob

• Like 2

what kind of visa do you have?

Still working on how to do that. I qualify for a Retired Visa.. more an 65,000 a month and aged 63

I am sure you must have checked all the visa requirements for Thailand. 65K monthly income won't get you the retirement visa unless you have an additional 800K in a Thai bank account for two months before applying or your Retirement visa. I was sure it was 65K a month income OR 800K in the bank, but apparently it is both incomes since I have never been able to convince Immigration that 65 K a month was one of two possibilities for the Retirement visa. That is the BIGGEST obstacle you need a clear answer for. In my opinion, the rest of your needs will not be all that expensive. Clothes are cheap and plentiful, electronics are reasonable, rent is reasonable, if you are in the right area. Be prepared to be charged more as a foreigner, for most everything, no matter how good you are at negotiating. I would not make up my mind, ahead of time, that Thailand is the dream paradise you are hoping and thinking it is. Many foreigners become deluded in the LOS after a short time, becuse of all the discrimination and rules we must abide by, but rules are applicable anywhere so adjusting and having an attitude of comprimise and realizing that you are a guest in Thailand is a key to enjoying your stay here. I will hazard a guess that you will soon run into a Thai lady who will set you up for a big fall in the love/money department. Do not be taken in by her stories of my mama is in the hospital, the water buffalo needs a wisdom tooth extraction, my rubber trees all burned down and my family has no money for food, my sister is sick too and I need 30,000 Baht for her care, etc. The tears will flow like river water so get a hard heart before you come here, else some Thai beauty will empty your wallet and your bank account before you have been here 90 days. Take this advise to the bank with you and good luck to you.

Im also moving to Los in the new year, 2015, for many reasons, I don't have to have the most expensive home in the city, I have been many times now and know what to expect, my best advice for what you can't get in Thailand that you will 100% need, QUALITY SHOES. buy two new pair from where ever you like at home. one to wear to Los and one to have on the shelf for when the first set wear out. make sure they are breathable. or your feet will always be wet from sweat and then fungus grows. Its HOT in Thailand.

I have thought about moving to Cancun/ Playa area, went down there 2 years ago on a fishing adventure, found nice condos right close to the marina I liked, Loved the area, the whole place reminded me of thialand so much . I thought I would rent for 6 months and see how it really feels over some time.

went for dinner . 3-4 blocks from where we were all having dinner and drinks, the local drug? crime , Cartel? not sure who really, Dumped a dump truck load of headless bodies in the middle of the street and drove off. no one was ever charged with it. It made all the headlines, but it was clearly a message about who was running the area.

I left. won't go back

People say Thailand has some scam issues, some pick pockets. but people don't know how calm Thailand really is .

Thailand is a Paradise. yes it has some issues. but if you find paradise between your ears and the rest is window dressing. you will like it there. and you can always take a cheap flight to other close countries like Vietnam or Cambodia to see if you like them better. but Ive been to all the close by countries and they are all missing something .

Enjoy your adventure and I like that you don't take life so seriously or you won't get out of it alive.

• Like 1

I like Thailand but don't fail to spend a month in the Philippines. Visa rules and business rules much easier. 90% of the people you deal with on a day to day business speak English. I think if you want to live in Thailand you had better learn Thai and live in non-tourist areas.

Still working on how to do that. I qualify for a Retired Visa.. more an 65,000 a month and aged 63

I am sure you must have checked all the visa requirements for Thailand. 65K monthly income won't get you the retirement visa unless you have an additional 800K in a Thai bank account for two months before applying or your Retirement visa. I was sure it was 65K a month income OR 800K in the bank, but apparently it is both incomes since I have never been able to convince Immigration that 65 K a month was one of two possibilities for the Retirement visa. That is the BIGGEST obstacle you need a clear answer for. In my opinion, the rest of your needs will not be all that expensive. Clothes are cheap and plentiful, electronics are reasonable, rent is reasonable, if you are in the right area. Be prepared to be charged more as a foreigner, for most everything, no matter how good you are at negotiating. I would not make up my mind, ahead of time, that Thailand is the dream paradise you are hoping and thinking it is. Many foreigners become deluded in the LOS after a short time, becuse of all the discrimination and rules we must abide by, but rules are applicable anywhere so adjusting and having an attitude of comprimise and realizing that you are a guest in Thailand is a key to enjoying your stay here. I will hazard a guess that you will soon run into a Thai lady who will set you up for a big fall in the love/money department. Do not be taken in by her stories of my mama is in the hospital, the water buffalo needs a wisdom tooth extraction, my rubber trees all burned down and my family has no money for food, my sister is sick too and I need 30,000 Baht for her care, etc. The tears will flow like river water so get a hard heart before you come here, else some Thai beauty will empty your wallet and your bank account before you have been here 90 days. Take this advise to the bank with you and good luck to you.

for extension of stay : 2.22 In the case of retirement: Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year. The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) Must be 50 years of age or over. (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; or (5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date. (6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria: (a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000. (B) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000. 2.23 In the case of a person who used to have Thai nationality or whose parent is or was of Thai nationality visiting relatives or returning to his or her original homeland: Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year. (1) There must be evidence that the applicant used to have Thai nationality or that his/her parent is

• Like 1

I like Thailand but don't fail to spend a month in the Philippines. Visa rules and business rules much easier. 90% of the people you deal with on a day to day business speak English. I think if you want to live in Thailand you had better learn Thai and live in non-tourist areas.

Since when, yesterday?

considering the north makes some of the worlds best coffeess (doi chaang in chiang rai is top 1%).

coffee shouldn't be a problem smile.png

This is GOOD to hear!!! mexico grows greta coffee too and untill less than 10 year ago most of it was exported and Nescafe was the only coffee srved here. Finding an expresso machine outside of large cities here is very rare. To Mexicans coffee is a luxury hence the $2.50 I pay for one !

Dont expect to pay less than $2.50 for a good cup of coffee here in Thailand. The cheapest coffe shop I found using real beans was around $2 but most of them are more than $3. And Starbucks the most expensive but not worth it.

http://www.pcecnews.com/permNL/Immigration%20Bureau%20order%20327-2557%20%282014%29%20-%20extension%20criteria%20&%20conditions%20en.pdf

2.22 In the case of retirement:
Each permission shall be granted for no more
than one year.
The alien:
(1) Must have been granted a non­immigrant visa (NON­IM).
(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or
(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no
less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must
have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no
Edited by AYJAYDEE

I will be out of this topic a bit, I am coming to Thailand on the 9th of January 2015, got a single entry and my departure date or ticket back to Canada is on the 23 of April i only got one entry because my passport is due to be renewed on October 01 2015.

So my question would be ; How do I proceed to get to be legal to depart on April 2015??

Thank you for your help if any n this mater.

It is my third time and next year with new passport would be looking at multiple entry i want to stay about 8 months I am going to my common law wife who is thai and we visit her family.

I will be out of this topic a bit, I am coming to Thailand on the 9th of January 2015, got a single entry and my departure date or ticket back to Canada is on the 23 of April i only got one entry because my passport is due to be renewed on October 01 2015.

So my question would be ; How do I proceed to get to be legal to depart on April 2015??

Thank you for your help if any n this mater.

It is my third time and next year with new passport would be looking at multiple entry i want to stay about 8 months I am going to my common law wife who is thai and we visit her family.

so you get 60 days on your tourist visa and then a 30 day extension at immigration

Thailand isn't what it used to be,, the army is in charge now and they

are flexing their muscle, remember the old saying

1: don't burn your bridges behind you

2: great place to visit but i wouldn't want to live here

my advice, don't think you are coming to some 3rd world country

some of the locals have better phones/cameras/laptops than you

wear better clothes than you, drive a better car than you, all over

better than you, remember that in this country you have no status,

you and all of us here are falang, 2nd class citizens. In this country

you can buy anything you want from any part of the world.

This is not the usa so travel light, you will probably move around a

lot so you will have to carry everything, flights here only allow 15kg

bag anything over is really expensive so think about that,, the last

bit of advice is,,, if you have a good friend or a family member you

can trust leave them about 5 thousand dollars in case the worse

happens and you need to leave the country in a hurry, call it a

safe insurance for your future and remember many people who

can are leaving Thailand.

Welcome to the land of smiles and remember to bring medical

insurance.

• Like 1

insurance.

and many more are staying.

Sunscreen's not a problem. The mass-marketed body lotions sold with "whitening" on the label actually a good sunscreen products. You don't want to get the expensive "whitening lotions" Those could contain potentially damaging chemicals that really do attempt to lighten skill, but the mass market body lotions, (I use Citra, but there are other brand like Dove and Vaseline) are really just body lotion with sunscreen and talc and other ingredients to make the skin look a little whiter. Someone who knew her body lotion chemistry explained that the sunscreen they use in the formulation isn't stable over time, which is why these products don't have SPF ratings, but they are very good. I have very fair skin and have used Citra, extra whitening pearl-essence (whatever sounds the most serious) for years and never gotten a sunburn.

You can also get sport sunscreens that hold up to sweat better. Those really do have SPF ratings on the label.

Maybe not in every 7-11 in a small village, but certainly in the bigger cities.

It's much cheaper to buy Sunscreen in the USA and bring it over. Buy it from Amazon then, then bring it over if baggage allowance allows.

I did it, never used it------to busy having fun to sit on the beach. Gave it away.

• Like 1

Just jump in and see what happens.

Its called adventure.

Adventures are for the young.

A drifter in his sixties with no long-term family relationships in Thailand will regret the decision to settle here.

Family means everything in Thailand, your position in the family defines who you are.

Without one you are nobody... or as the Thais say, "farang tao-nahn eng."

All Apple products are more expensive in Thailand, about 20 %. As others have said, no problems plugging in computers with their adaptors, but I had

a WaterPik ( which is definitely not available in Chiang Mai ) I brought over from USA and plugged it in and it burnt out the motor and blew the fuse in the hotel room. So the lesson for me is, outside of computers, anything that has a motor I will use a converter.

Its called adventure.

A drifter in his sixties with no long-term family relationships in Thailand will regret the decision to settle here.

Family means everything in Thailand, your position in the family defines who you are.

I'm in my sixties. Could be labeled a nomadic adventurer. One who starts by putting my toes in the water first. Spent 10 months in Thailand and Viet Nam. No family ties in either country. Developed friendships with expats and locals. Never had any of the locals ask for handouts. In fact many times I'd have to battle to pay my way when we would go somewhere or do anything. In both countries these could be young women half my age or more. Maybe they don't hustle me because I'm not hustling them, even if a romantic attraction develops. Locals have offered generously to help me whenever I've needed it. More than expats. Never felt like a nobody. Am now moving my home base to Thailand.

• Like 2

All Apple products are more expensive in Thailand, about 20 %. As others have said, no problems plugging in computers with their adaptors, but I had

a WaterPik ( which is definitely not available in Chiang Mai ) I brought over from USA and plugged it in and it burnt out the motor and blew the fuse in the hotel room. So the lesson for me is, outside of computers, anything that has a motor I will use a converter.

I priced out iPads. Same options. One from California, one in CM. With tax, the one from California was more expensive by about $40. Maybe I missed something?

• Like 1

If you are just coming here with two suitcases

Just get a double entry tourist visa

Rent a fully loaded condo for 6 months to a year

Travel around the country for a while

See if it suits you

You will soon enough learn if it is for you

Then if you decide to stay you can worry about adding belongings and perhaps a retirement visa

insurance.

and many more are staying.

Yes they are! But they are inheriting a place that is 10 times the pay at 1/10 of the play.

b-man

Its called adventure.

I'm in my sixties. Could be labeled a nomadic adventurer. One who starts by putting my toes in the water first. Spent 10 months in Thailand and Viet Nam. No family ties in either country. Developed friendships with expats and locals. Never had any of the locals ask for handouts. In fact many times I'd have to battle to pay my way when we would go somewhere or do anything. In both countries these could be young women half my age or more. Maybe they don't hustle me because I'm not hustling them, even if a romantic attraction develops. Locals have offered generously to help me whenever I've needed it. More than expats. Never felt like a nobody. Am now moving my home base to Thailand.

The "...romantic attraction..." with "...young women half my age..." suggests that you are delusional.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but may I ask why you are leaving Mejico HC?

I want to move to Thailand. Just a different place to explore. Mexico is a great place but the prices are getting close to USA prices and affordability and desire to spend $700 on rent is not my cuppa tea

That could get you a one bedroom in Bangkok

I have lived in 42 cities in 4 different countries.. Never visiting most of them beforehand. Nothing is permanent.

Very fool hardy to try here in the middle of a military coup set to last into 2016. I think you motives may be less than honorable and I question if you are leaving messes behind you???? Are you hiding an aspect of your movements from all.