I am moving to Thailand!

1happykamper

I have lived in 42 cities in 4 different countries.. Never visiting most of them beforehand. Nothing is permanent.

I doubt that you have "lived in" 42 cities. Visited yes.

My personal definition of "lived in" is at least 6 continuous months.

You have also only been to 4 countries and I assume that Thailand is not one of them. Do you not think that a long visit might be a good idea before you do the retirement thing?

I have visited over 30 countries (many, many cities) and have "lived in" 8 and I know many of the posters on here have been to far more than I.

Before I "retired" in Thailand I did quite a few visits, including one of 4 months, but even so I tired of the place and left after one year. I still like to do the occasional visit though.

Sorry, I do not usually write this much.blink.png

• Like 1

It sounds like the OP is worrying about the minor issues, bring clothes you feel comfortable in, in the heat. Bring your laptop, tablet and purchase the rest in Thailand.

Do you know where you are moving to, what type of property to rent, how to access your cash, what transport will you use etc etc etc.

• Like 2

If you come here you'll be renting and that is mostly furnished including TV. Don't expect 53 inch, but somewhere around 40 should be possible.

Cost of living has gone up considerable in the paste few years in Thailand and I don't expect it to be much cheaper than Mexico, certainly more expensive than the US apart form home rental.

Brand clothing is more expensive than in the US and Europe, local fake and cheaper clothing is not to bad if you buy in markets.

General groceries are close to US level.

Expensive to very expensive are wine, beer, western food items, cars, interest on loans and mortgages.

Many Thais don't care about the new year apart from it being a holiday, some do about the Chinese new year, but they all party at the Thai new year: waterfestival or Songkran.

I have lived in 42 cities in 4 different countries.. Never visiting most of them beforehand. Nothing is permanent.

Wow not many have managed that in a lifetime! I've lived in maybe 4. By live, I think maybe more than a year would be considered living??

Can you list them for us please?smile.png

Dunno about Mexico, but most consumables here will be more expensive than the U.S. It ain't cheap and if you like the sauce and ladies, hope you have a big pension.

All the best wink.png

which consumables specifically?

Anything imported ... 300% + import tax.

Immigration is a nightmare, every year having to fill out reams of paperwork and then visiting immigration every 90 days. I move out and happy I did. Try Malaysia, Vietnam or Cambodia ... all far easier and more welcoming in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

I have found that buying electronics here is better, if just a bit pricier, at least you can get service where you made the purchase… the only things I would bring from USA, assuming you are departing from there would be some nice light-weight cotton shorts and underwear… I have been able to purchase nice shirts at clearance sales in Walmart for $3 - but basically, everything is here… just fill your two suitcases with clothes and be done with it - as USA there is a range of prices on most of the items you mentioned...

good luck and welcome -

I see you also asked abt Thai New Year - no, it is not like either of the New Years. It is in the midst of hot season and the entire country breaks into a 3 day waterfight - more days and more intensely in the tourist areas. But there is also a family & traditional aspect to it as well, that many foreigners do not experience. It is a time when everyone returns home to their village to visit with the family. There is one day reserved for visiting the elders of the family too…

my post above should have read cotton "shirts" -

Edited by kenk24

Visa should be easy, just apply for a non o based on retirement at a Thai embassy there and extend here later.

Most people consider this the easier option, but if the O/P stayed in Mexico for two years, that may be as long as he'll want to stay in Thailand (especially since he's never been in Asia before and his possessions are down to 2 suitcases ... he sounds a bit nomadic)

A non-Imm O-A commonly called a "retirement visa" or long-stay visa may be a better option if he goes to a Thai consulate in the US. It will entitle him to a multi-entry one year stay and an additional year's permission to stay for a total of nearly two years (but will need a re-entry permit for trips outside the country during the second year after the visa expires) before he needs to worry about money in a Thai bank or proof of income at immigrations. Maybe by then he'll be ready to move on without ever having had to apply for an extension of stay ... although he can easily extend for a third year or more if he settles in.

Someone mentioned "consumables" here are more expensive than in the US. Can't imagine what that means. You can spend a boatload on imported goods, but the O/P sounds like the sort who isn't obsessed by possessions. For someone who is satisfied with the basics, Thailand is still a bargain, though maybe less so than ten years ago. I am somewhat self-indulgent but still live more cheaply than friends in the US.

One additional consideration for someone in his (and my) age group is medical coverage. Medical expenses here are way cheaper than in the US, but serious medical issues can still be a blow to the budget. I don't recall what the age cut-off is locally for new subscribers for local insurance, but I think at 63 he may have a problem signing up for hospital insurance (and out-patient coverage here is not worth the cost). And Medicare will not cover expenses incurred in Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Dunno about Mexico, but most consumables here will be more expensive than the U.S. It ain't cheap and if you like the sauce and ladies, hope you have a big pension.

All the best wink.png

which consumables specifically?

the most important ones. the sauce and the ladies rolleyes.gif PS. thailand is not cheap !! please do your homework before moving over there. cambodia is maybe a cheaper better option for you, sihanoukville is beautifull and no visa hassles same as in thailand. try it out sometime.

Edited by dirtycash
  • Like 1

I prefer technical tee shirts and shorts that are used for running and tend to wick better and keep one cooler than cotton, so I bring them from the states - they are light and easy to pack.

Available everywhere from 110-300bht a shirt.

Football T-shirt and shorts (wicking) 290bht the pair in MaeJo student market Monday nights.

Unbranded wicking T-shirts 110bht from the sports shop round the corner of CM park.

Bodyglove

100% cotton full cut undershorts, 200bht for 3 pair from Tesco Lotus superstores.

PS

Don't blame you for moving, Mexico has become a frightening place.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for the replies today. I am getting used to the 13 hour delay to my questions.. smile.png)

OK. Bring my size 13 shoes. Good quality t shirts. Socks. Fruit of the Loom. Check. Thanks so much for your warm welcome and input.

A side note: COFFEE!!!!! Outside of major cities, how tough is it to get a good latte or americano?

Definitely bring all the shoes you will ever want in that larger size.

Same for high tech clothes.

I would buy everything else inside Thailand for warrantees if nothing else. If you go to a Westernized department store like The Paragon in BKK, you will find EVERYTHING you want, including coffees and makers... with the possible exception of large sizes shoes.

I find only super specialized items are unavailable here without ordering them through a local store or Internet shopping.

For prices, look at Web site for Lazada with Thai prices on many items.smile.png

Thanks so much for the replies today. I am getting used to the 13 hour delay to my questions.. smile.png)

OK. Bring my size 13 shoes. Good quality t shirts. Socks. Fruit of the Loom. Check. Thanks so much for your warm welcome and input.

A side note: COFFEE!!!!! Outside of major cities, how tough is it to get a good latte or americano?

About 10 coffee shops in every road, in the larger towns.

Just over $1 a cup, suits me just fine.

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting your possesions to fit into two suitcases - if you manage that in Mexico why should it be any different here in Thailand. Thailand caters to expats of all countries - some items will cheaper and some more expensive - but why have the problem of extra baggage until you are actually settled. Shorts, sandals, underwear, a few t-shits, toothbrush and a laptop are more than enough, until you decide where you are going to stay.

Not sure why folk are saying tech stuff is more expensive in LOS.

I find it cheaper here than Amazon and Newegg in the UK.

OP should obviously at least visit here for a long trip before he decides to move. Thailand is not at all how I was expecting before my move here after a previous holiday.

Bring clothes and shoes. Buy a new laptop at Walmart. It will include a genuine, installed copy of Windows for about $400 (13K baht.) You will need some power converters which you can get in Thailand.

You don't need a power converter for a laptop bought in the U.S.

The AC/DC adapter that is sold with every laptop worldwide, works on voltages from 100 - 240 Volts AC. So it works in the U.S. AND in Thailand as well.

Maybe your intention was to say you need SOCKET adapters . . they can be bought for close to nothing in Thailand

All other electric appliances that plug in directly into the wall sockets, however, should not be brought to Thailand from the USA and Mexcio, as for these available power converters cosume A) too much energy and B ) may cause a hazard to the common Thai house electric system. That's why I would refrain from bringing stuff that does not automatically use AC/DC adapters.

Electric shavers . . .should read the label on the backside, it will tell you which voltage it can handle. If it says 100 (or 110) V - 220 (240 in some) Volts, it will be fine.

Edited by crazygreg44

I doubt that you have "lived in" 42 cities. Visited yes.

My personal definition of "lived in" is at least 6 continuous months.

You have also only been to 4 countries and I assume that Thailand is not one of them. Do you not think that a long visit might be a good idea before you do the retirement thing?

I have visited over 30 countries (many, many cities) and have "lived in" 8 and I know many of the posters on here have been to far more than I.

Before I "retired" in Thailand I did quite a few visits, including one of 4 months, but even so I tired of the place and left after one year. I still like to do the occasional visit though.

Sorry, I do not usually write this much.blink.png

" Do you not think that a long visit might be a good idea before you do the retirement thing?"

I may have missed where he said he planned to retire here or stay for the balance of his life. It sounds like he's prepared to give it a try and stay for a long time or a brief time as the mood hits him.

Like most people, I would reccommend that anyone who is thinking of settling in for a long stay in Thailand not burn any bridges or make any major financial committments here before giving it a trial for at least six months to a year first, but that doesn't seem an applicable warning for someone who fits his profile. He seems to enjoy relatively short-term experiences without a view to becoming a permanent fixture in any one place.

Bring clothes and shoes. Buy a new laptop at Walmart. It will include a genuine, installed copy of Windows for about $400 (13K baht.) You will need some power converters which you can get in Thailand.

You are going to find that almost everything is more expensive in Thailand compared to the US except Thai food, rent, and utilities. Some of it is a lot more expensive.

"You will need some power converters which you can get in Thailand."

For the shoes? Most electronic "stuff" these days is capable of dealing with different power supplies and genuine Windows software is available here for less than $400. I have it installed on my computer and registered with Miscrosoft who quite happily sends me updates as they become available.

Edited by Suradit69

Why are you moving to thailand?

It sounds like you have no idea about thailand. Not that that's a bad thing, just strange that you will move half way around the world to a place you know little about.

Let me help you out. Thailand is a large manufacturer of computer/electric/electronic parts so anything computer TVs etc are cheap to purchase here. So don't bother with the extra wieght in your luggage

Thailand does also have cheap clothes. They manufacture some clothes, but many are imported from Cambodia and Bangladesh. Having lived in USA I can say if you have a larger than average body size it may be better to purchase clothes in America as sizes outside of normal Thai body types are often difficult to find. Unless you plan on wearing made to order taylored clothes which are very reasonably priced in Thailand.

For Food, Southeast Asia has large agricultural industries, so all types of food - including coffee is available cheaply. Many larger supermarkets in the cities also have imported food as well which is naturally expensive compared with prices in America. Alcohol has duties and taxes which makes everything much more expensive compared with alcohol in America.

good luck

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

I would echo the quote below and add that virtually anything imported here is much more expensive than other places, I assume due to import duties. That said, if you are willing to shop and eat locally, food costs are really low compared to the US and Europe. OF course, rents are really cheap too (unless you opt for the deluxe western style everything).

I would also echo the responder who mentioned Thai sizes - I wear L or XL in the US, and it's very hard to find anything in my size reasonably priced. US shoe size 12 is also unusual and expensive (except some great sandals I got at Pratunam in Bangkok....200 THB, waterproof, comfortable, and wearing very well.)

Good luck on the move; (can't remember and can't see original post but) if you're still in the US, you can make your Non-immigrant OA visa (aka "retirement") entirely by mail. Just do your paperwork, and send it all in to the embassy in DC. They send your passport back with the visa; no muss, no fuss, and no dealing with the unfamiliar workings of Thai immigration when you arrive here. Just show up and live until your first 90-day report. Worked like a charm for me. PM me if you have any questions.

welcome to thailand smile.png

tech stuff here is generally more expensive than other asian cities.. most likely due to import taxes..

however i find that when u wait for offers or sales.. you get them at reasonable prices.

have fun!

Congratulations on your decision to retire to Thailand. It should be easy for you to get a retirement visa.

As for what to bring. TVs, computer monitors, printers are reasonably priced here. No need to try to bring them here. You may want to bring a good laptop or computer. The ones here come loaded with bloatware and other junk that can be difficult to get cleaned up.

As for clothing. Stock up on good underwear and socks. The larger cities have export clothing shops where you can buy factory overruns and seconds for Levis, Dockers and cargo shorts. Most guys wear tees shirts or polo shirts. It can be dificult to find larger sized good quality polo shirts with light weight, cool fabric. Tee shirts with writing are no problem, but a good quality plain black tee shirt in a large size can be a problem. Hubby buys his via mail order.

Nancy, since you mentioned mail order, can you tell what sort of duty or restrictions are added to packages. What sort of time frame is there for receiving packages if you are ordering from the US?

Before I answer your questions, I'd just like to toss out, if you're thinking of BKK or Chiang Mai, expect it to be hotter and considerably more humid than Mexico. 90+ degrees a good part of the year. Going out for an evening walk, after 20 minutes you could be drenched in perspiration. Temps don't really cool off in the evening. San Miguel de Allende will seem balmy in comparison.

I priced an iPad. Same model/same options in California, with tax, was more expensive in California. Good quality shirts in CM were similar in price to the US. As was said elsewhere, larger sizes can be a problem. If you bring shirts, look for light weight shirting. Same for denim pants–if you wear long pants, I'd recommend finding light weight, loose fitting pants. Denim might be too warm. Sunscreens in Thailand will likely have lightening agents added. They do have Starbucks here. Expect to pay the same price for it as the US–but a double can cost the same as two coffees at the local shops. For local coffee, which can be excellent, expect to pay about $2 for a latte or cappuccino. Imported beers are through the roof price-wise. Liquor, I think, is similar in price to the US–depends on your poison. Imported foods, if you buy at the "western" groceries, expect much higher prices. For example, a single apple can cost a dollar. Something exotic like chia seeds might run $30 a pound, if I remember correctly. The advantage is you can al least get many of your home favorites.

Edited by Travelighlty

Thanks so much for the replies today. I am getting used to the 13 hour delay to my questions.. :))

Dry stick deodorant. And dont make you decision permament until you spend a little time here. Tums or rolaids bring a box of them.

• Like 1

While there is merit to jumping into a new environment, I suggest being informed before you go so you'll know generally what to expect.

Check-out the attached link which is a start re: info on Thailand.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/th.html

Suggest you also start reading a Thai daily newspaper (numerous available in English) which will provide you with daily current events what's going on in Thailand.

Recommended Thai newspaper - The Nation, Bangkok Post, and then a local paper where you plan on living i.e. Pattaya Daily News

The Thai VISA Forum is also a great news source as well as the website for the Embassy of the United States, Thailand.

Lastly, before relocation I recommend you to pick-up a book on the culture of Thai people so you know what to expect or attempt to understand why Thai people do what they do.

NOTE -- Thailand is a great country and you can get excellent cheep street food. But be careful on eating the hot Thai spices and drinking tap water (always drink bottle water). Lastly, once here in Thailand, treat people and the natural resources as you would in your home country (be respectful and don't judge the Thai culture based on your home country morals or values).

Edited by lcp0761
  • Like 1

what kind of visa do you have?

Still working on how to do that. I qualify for a Retired Visa.. more an 65,000 a month and aged 63

Differences between individuals abound. Based on some of what you have said and my own experience, I only share some thoughts. I made 2 trips for one month each in both 2009 and 2010. Traveled around and decided Chiang Mai felt best for me. So, then I applied for a Visa in 2011 allowing for retirement (I was 64 and a half).

I am not certain enough to recommend getting the Visa based on retirement unless you have already decided on Thailand and this is not just your first exploration. I applied through the Thai Embassy in Chicago and had no problems. I have filed for extensions since with no difficulty based on a monthly income of 65,000 baht. I also have found this amount allows for a comfortable existance but hasten to point out I am married and have a condo.

That said, you can live some cheaper and can certainly burn through a lot more if you wish or are not thinking. Clothes can be had cheaply enough. The localmarkets remind me of the mercado in Cuernavaca where I spent time decades ago. Food can be cheap also. In both cases you can also spend more by going to the malls and farang supermarkets.

Recommend coming, staying in moderate hotel, look around then rent a house or condo allowing you time to explore and get some feel for Thailand. Take your time and do not make any longer term commitments until you have been here for some time. Well, for what its worth...

Depends on if your looking to get some action here I found the condom's way to much on the snug side And thats there large size but you can get computers here as others have said these knuckleheads here use pirated software so best bring a good laptop with you toss your phone buy here get dual sim if you plan on doing any traveling. I found AIS prepay is good can reload as needed at anyplace. 7-11's here are ten feet apart and no shortage of them. Before your first date better do check you are getting what your paying for. Oh yes Were all handsome here. Now if stick still works or might need a bit of help try Kamagra get any place on suknspit different flavors. Now for inexpensive hotel Try Nasa Vegas Next door to airport link line and don't take cab here till you learn the ropes use BTS around town first and airport link line and MRT first. Avoid doing stupid stuff and watchout for knuckleheads. Victory station BTS stop is good place to know Vans are there for other places around Thailand. Until you get feel for here and know some of the pitfalls Avoid Pattaya Way to many farangs fall from balconies there. Other than that Soi Cowboy for eye candy Just beware Ladyboy bars there too Check for adam's apple. NANA way to many ladyboys there Oh another thing keep cell in pocket. And never I repeat never leave your drink out of sight might have rude awakening. And if you find nice lady don't believe I need money to buy parents new water buffalo cause there's died. Oh Lock up valuables when you have company. Ladies in bar's you bar fine be sure to ask first. other things you will pick up Never overpay it messes up for the rest of us. Pang Bai means to much. Have fun most of all.

• Like 2

what kind of visa do you have?

Still working on how to do that. I qualify for a Retired Visa.. more an 65,000 a month and aged 63

My Ex Wife lives in Mexico and your cost of living and ease of staying there are far better than here. She lives in Cancun and relates here costs to me. Stay put would be my advice and just come here for a visit and see for yourself.

• Like 1

I have never visited Asia before!

If your budget allows...would recommend a visit before pulling up roots and making the move...

If not...then be smart...not naïve...learn to speak a little Thai...count Thai money...and be aware in spite of what you may hear...you will need to be alert for corruption in everything you do...mainly aimed at scamming you from your money...

Do not fall in love with the first woman who says you are a handsome man and jumps in bed with you...take your time to learn the culture...good luck...

• Like 1