Websites with lese majeste content to be shut down

webfact

"Both accused were brought into court barefoot - Patiwats feet bound with chains "

I'll bet the UN human rights commission observer loved that.

Not uncommon in Thailand irregardless of the charges faced.

And how does that make it any less wrong?

Irregardless is not a word.

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is thatthere is no such word. There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

"... contained content deemed in contempt of the monarchy and affecting the national security."

Lese majeste is somewhat intuitive given case law but the latter is purely judgemental and prejudicial. Dictatorships throughout history have used perceived threats to national security as a means to legitimize and maintain their absolute power over a nation, often referring to unknown foreign agents. Gen. Prayuth has loosely defined threats to national security as anything that might create national disunity or political conflict. He alone will decide as a matter of law whether the sanctity national security is violated and he alone will decide the punishment.

When interpretation and enforcement of law is dictated by the capricious musings of a state leader who has a personal agenda to protect, it can be described as "corruption." Perhaps the new constitution can better address what constitutes "national security" so that it is not abused for the sake of personal power.

• Like 1

The LM law gives The-Powers-That-Be carte blanche for complete political repression. That's why this anachronistic piece of legislation is so enthusiastically defended by those who would use it to secure their positions of power. It engenders a level of self-censorship unknown in most demcratic countries.

Yes. The other country where you are thrown in jail over LM law violation is Morocco.

Pretty rough company for Thailand....... Some European countries have weak LM

laws where you are assessed a minor fine. You are NOT sentenced to jail for

15 years.....

• Like 1

what about youtube - I see there is some very embarrassing vdos still on there. All I did was search or a certain person and the vdos came up. Could I be arrested for watching them?

Think you can be prosecuted for passing on the links, but not for watching them. Am sure

the government would love to shut down youtube and facebook like China has done, but

realistically they cannot.

• Like 2

They took down The Mail online on TOT just after the coup and never put it back up again, but it works on AIS. Which is a preview of whats going to happen in future. All the coup cheerleaders take note this is only the start, but then again I don't expect any of them to be around when the som tam hits the fan. In the last weeks Reuters, Yahoo and BBC ran articles that could judged to be anti section 112, will they take all of them down ? Yes they will because they are extremist/fanaticals that will rather ruin the country than to be defeated.

You have sat and spoke with these people? Or is this just what you have read. Or you've led so many countries to a better world. Who could know better than you.

get a life

I believe you must read more about what my king have said in the past. In 1992 he said that people that is involved in a fight later on forget what the fight is all about and only fight to win and that in the end the winner stand on top of the ruins of the country. In the end when people of a country fight each other for own gain, they ruin the country and the winner ends up with nothing. We are in such a process now. Some people see this and others are too blind, you can choose which one you want to be.

The current implementation of lese majeste has little or nothing to do with 'real' protection of the monarchy, but everything to do with a political gag of choice which I have said many times. As as been said previously even HM has spoken out about overreach in the use of LM, however it didn't seem to stop the consequent explosion in LM after 2006. 1990-2006, there were roughly 4 or 5 cases that reached the courts every year. 2006-2011, more than 400.

The smiling face of Abhisit on billboards urging the populace to report anything 'deemed' to be objectionable seems to be back to were we are headed. The fact that a whole case can be based, prosecuted on hearsay is symptomatic of the problem. That being said, it's a great way to silence anyone you 'deem' to be a problem.

In earlier times of course it was easier, internal information sources can easily be whacked over the head and shut down. In this pesky Internet era, with all these little people having infernal connected smartphones....whats a Ruling Elite supposed to do????

post-97442-0-12092300-1419915874_thumb.j

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

See how the NBTC meeting with facebook goes then we shall see how far the LM censorship is able to go. .

The article says that facebook did not send anyone to attend yesterdays meeting with the NBTC, not suprised.

• Like 1

"Both accused were brought into court barefoot - Patiwats feet bound with chains "

And how does that make it any less wrong?

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is thatthere is no such word. There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

Oh great, now we have the grammer police to contend with.

The LM law gives The-Powers-That-Be carte blanche for complete political repression. That's why this anachronistic piece of legislation is so enthusiastically defended by those who would use it to secure their positions of power. It engenders a level of self-censorship unknown in most demcratic countries.

Most democratic countries? Do you mean Western countries where we are spoon fed democracy through the press and censored media arms of the politicians. How can there be democracy when 85 people in the world control 90% of the wealth. Governments now want you to work till your 67 before getting a pension. The Obama regime is eyeing all the trillions in pension money in the USA. They want to funnel it into a central federal pension fund to "secure" your future. If approved it will give the government another form of "bailout, QE" call it what you like. You will get a paper IOU. Do you really think the world has changed that much since the Egyptians controlled massive numbers of slaves to build the pyramids? Heck no we are all slaves now some just have a little bit more freedom than others.

• Like 1

Oh great, now we have the grammer police to contend with.

I wonder what the prison regime will be in the Grammar Supermax?

Morning verb conjugation, followed by a little lese majeste waterboarding before lunch

Imperfect nouns, coupled with stress positions in the afternoon

Subject verb agreements before dinner, and topped off with sleep deprivation

BTW, you spelt 'Grammar' wrong LMAO

See how the NBTC meeting with facebook goes then we shall see how far the LM censorship is able to go. .

The article says that facebook did not send anyone to attend yesterdays meeting with the NBTC, not suprised.

That should give the junta some idea of the kind of cooperation they can expect from facebook. But I expect they are too caught up in their insulated little world to understand.

I am sure that if the junta demanded the ISPs block access to Facebook, it would very quickly become very unpopular. Shotting itself in its foot so to speak.

Didn't Google laugh in thier faces when they demanded Google shut down about 300 sites where people around the world where discussing Thailand and the dear leader?

And rightfully so. Google is not a Thai company, Thai law mean as much to them, as laws of Mongolia. Same with Facebook.

They can shut the access to both, China has tried it with Google. I'd like to see Facebook blocked, that would be sight to behold!

That a human being is treated this way in a 21st century, in a seemingly civilized country, is outrageous, and shameful!

I understand fully, cultures and traditions vary.. But there are universal values of a dignity of a human, laws against physical abuse!

These chains are physical abuse, they are not needed to secure a prisoner, most accused, and most prisoners are not chained. It is only to humilitate, and cause pain!

This post touches only Thai law, and I hope is appropriate, since the topic is criminal law.

Edited by whitemouse
  • Like 1

This smells of sheer desperation. And so, Thailand continues the slide towards total tyranny.

How long, I wonder, before the internet is turned off in Thailand?

They know, that they can't afford to do it. People here have had a taste of freedom, there is no way they would accept it taken away completly.. That would trigger a tsunami that wipes away everything.

It is too late here, basically. North Korea people never had it, it is not difficult to control the masses, they have prolly no idea what the word freedom means. People here do!

there are universal values of a dignity of a human, laws against physical abuse!

No there aren't.

Freedom of speech isn't universally accepted as a human right. Freedom from discrimination based upon gender, sexuality, religion aren't universally accepted as a human right. The right to life isn't universally accepted as a human right. The right to an education isn't universally accepted as a human right. The right to work isn't not universally accepted as a human right, nor is the right not to be enslaved.

I'd dare to say that there is absolutely nothing that is a universally accepted value with respect to the dignity of a human being.

I dare them to cut it off. Go on.

Make yourselves the laughing stock you deserve to be.

Students in chains for a play. What is wrong with these people. They are abusing the very institution they claim to protect.

Hypocrites and liars all of them. And to think there is any westerner on here who can defend this govt over any other. They will put thailand back 50 years if they can. They will turn it into a Hong Kong of appointees and shadow lurkers beyond the law forever.

I think they are already there.

When even the Murdoch empire. in the form of the Wall Street Journal starts writing scathing attacks, you know the game is up on the outside world. I won't post the link, since, this post will probably be removed, but check out the WSJ editorial "Thailand Unravels" from Dec 2nd

• Like 1

there are universal values of a dignity of a human, laws against physical abuse!

No there aren't.

Freedom of speech isn't universally accepted as a human right. Freedom from discrimination based upon gender, sexuality, religion aren't universally accepted as a human right. The right to life isn't universally accepted as a human right. The right to an education isn't universally accepted as a human right. The right to work isn't not universally accepted as a human right, nor is the right not to be enslaved.

I'd dare to say that there is absolutely nothing that is a universally accepted value with respect to the dignity of a human being.

I know you try to be sarcastic however human rights are here and our governments have signed up to them when they joined the United Nations.

Maybe in your universe these rights don't exist but the one that I am living in and whose country is part of the UN and its charters these rights exist and have to be recognised and if these rights are violated we should shout it from the roof tops.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Article 3:

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person

• Like 2

No there aren't.

I never said a word about freedom of speech, did I?

Don't strawman, and please do not put words in my mouth!

As for human rights here, you are simply wrong. Thailand is a member of Geneva convention, if Im not mistaken, I may wrong about that. But Thailand is certainly a member of UN. But then again, so is Uganda.

Thailand aspires to be step above Uganda, and absolute bottom of the pit, I think, and that was my point.

• Like 1

'Both accused were brought into court barefoot - Patiwat’s feet bound with chains ...'

And Thailand sees itself as a civilised society. Hardly surprising that many other countries see it as backward, given the Thai authorities are singularly unable - or unwilling - to properly solve serious crimes, such as murder, yet see a law that doesn't even exist on most civilised countries' statute books as justifying the degrading treatment of accused who hadn't even been found guilty ... though doubtless every accused individual will prove to be guilty.

Good luck with persuading international social networks to toe the Thai line. Most will more than likely - and rightly - 'politely' tell the NBTC where to shove it.

• Like 1

No there aren't.

I know you try to be sarcastic however human rights are here and our governments have signed up to them when they joined the United Nations.

Maybe in your universe these rights don't exist but the one that I am living in and whose country is part of the UN and its charters these rights exist and have to be recognised and if these rights are violated we should shout it from the roof tops.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Article 3:

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person

"Maybe in your universe these rights don't exist but the one that I am living in and whose country is part of the UN and its charters these rights exist and have to be recognised and if these rights are violated we should shout it from the roof tops."

You clearly don't live in Thailand!! (yes I know you are Thai)

Try to shout from the roof tops in Bkk about the law, we are discussing here, and you will very quickly end up behind bars!!