Thailand: Road safety centre set up ahead of holidays

webfact

Road safety centre set up ahead of holidays
The Nation

30250951-02_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- THE PUBLIC Health Ministry will take proactive measures to keep traffic accidents down during the "seven dangerous days" from December 30 to January 5.

Deputy Public Health Minister Somsak Chunharas yesterday presided over the opening of a centre to help prevent road accidents at Ayutthaya City Hall for the New Year travel season.

Health officials and health promotion volunteers will join local administrative officials and the public in manning 60,000 community checkpoints to flag down such accident risks as drunk drivers, motorcyclists not wearing helmets, and speeding motorists. They will be issued stern warnings or arrested by police, Somsak said.

Health officials will strictly enforce the alcohol control law. The latest operation on December 26 in Chon Buri saw 20 people fined and five warned. The most common offence at 16 cases was the marketing or advertising of alcoholic beverages.

The ministry has mobilised 1,500 public and private hospitals to prepare for the influx of road-accident victims and 5,000 emergency medical teams to be on standby nationwide starting at midnight, he said.

Separately, two Indian tourists and a Thai person died, while eight others were hurt when their chartered van burst into flames after crashing into the back of a six-wheel water truck at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday. Pol Lieutenant Sumet Thabthong of Suvarnabhumi Airport Police Station identified the deceased as van driver Jakkrit Silawong, 24, and two Indian passengers - Nupar Dewan, 29, and Suresh Kumar Dewan, 68. The six other Indian occupants, including two children, and the two truck workers Montri Phoungkhammee, 37, and Sakhon Srikotaphetch, 30, were taken to Chularat 9 Hospital.

Over last year's "seven dangerous days",there were 3,174 accidents, 366 fatalities and 3,345 injuries reported by the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-safety-centre-set-up-ahead-of-holidays-30250951.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-30

I like the actions they are taking. I think they are visible and they are showing they are going to be vigilant during this holiday season.

In a lot of our home countries the police have overstepped their boundaries in my opinion. It is nice to not feel like we live in a police state here. Careful what we ask for.

• Like 1

Two killed in BKK and a tour bus overturning on Phuket injuring 19 Russian tourists and a Thai tour guide. Yes that time of the year again when talk is cheap and policing actions are nil. Roadblocks do not stop the carnage on the Thai roads. Ha ha ha or is it Ho Ho Ho?

So just watching the vehicles pile up and logging them from the air conditioned traffic police hut is order of the day.

Like any other year, or any other day with temporary road blocks that can shake down a few folks for not wearing helmets and then let them drive away having learned nothing and still without a helmet. Brilliant

• Like 1

Warnings are a way of telling the drivers that the officials are not serious about traffic safety. It they are serious about saving lives, they must issue large fines, and confiscate vehicles for truly reckless driving, impound them, and charge amounts of 5000 to 20000 baht to get the vehicle released. There simply has to be a deterrent, or you will not be able to get the truly careless to drive carefully. I have seem more reckless driving here than in most other places. And most drivers know the toy police will do nothing about it.

Just more jawboning with nothing behind it. The intention is good. But, back it up with something. That is what adults do. That is what responsible authorities, governments, and police do.

• Like 1

I like the actions they are taking. I think they are visible and they are showing they are going to be vigilant during this holiday season.

In a lot of our home countries the police have overstepped their boundaries in my opinion. It is nice to not feel like we live in a police state here. Careful what we ask for.

I choose the police in my home country every day over the "Thought and Attitude Adjustment Forces" here.

• Like 2

"STERN WARNINGS."

They must be kidding? At the very least, offenders should be given a proper Thrashing, with a "Wet Bus Ticket."

They don't even seem to care about idiots driving the Wrong Way, Texting or Phoning whilst driving/riding....Ah, I give up...we'll be STAYING HOME.

"The latest operation on December 26 in Chon Buri saw 20 people fined and five warned. The most common offence at 16 cases was the marketing or advertising of alcoholic beverages."

Were those five warned the drivers I saw that day who were clearly stoushed? Maybe. Odds are they would not have been arrested.

STERN WARNING!

post-47588-0-52538200-1419916637_thumb.j

I don't understand the across the board rage against this particular topic. But, I don't drive, so I guess I'm missing something.

Having personally just driven from Phuket to Udon...........yes you are missing something........the opportunity to risk your life and the lives of your loved ones. But if you haven't tried it, you won't know.

Just passed one of "road-safety-centers"

Police had blocked one lane on a busy highway, causing many near incidents.

Under the large tent-roof in the blocked lane, sat about 10 of Thailands finest watching TV and and drinking ???.

They didn't even look at the traffic!!

So whoever manages it through the "7 dangerous days", for sure it is not thanks to the police.

I suppose any little helps there’s non so blind as those who won’t listen, it’s totally lack of education and this in breeding me me attitude of Thais that has to be changed especially on the roads and a police man dong his police work first and tea money second not the other way around.

Thailand has one of the highest road fatality/road trauma rates in the world. They have received expert advice, from the World Bank, on how to reduce road trauma, but they blatantly choose to ignore it.

A road safety strategy that strives to achieve zero fatalities, hinges on three E's: Engineering, Education and Enforcement. This requires safer motor vehicles, safer engineered roads, targeted road safety education, and rigorous police enforcement of road user laws.

Anyone who has a rudimentary understanding of Thailand, and the mentality of it governors, will understand why this strategy has been largely ignored. The statistical cost of a life, it would seem, is meaningless in the land of scams.

They will be issued with warnings. Wow that is really going to work. Why not try an old fashioned method of actually having the police enforcing the road rules and penalising those that don't obey the law. make it a year round thing and not just 7 days.

The police doing their job, don't make me laugh . As for stopping drunk drives and speeding cars yes I agree with what they are going ???? to do but I say again get those drivers that JUMP THE RED LIGHTS oh sorry that is too easy.

I have spoken to a number of Thai's in recent months and 9 out of 10 do NOT have a driving licence. Stop them and confiscate their car/bike and NOT give it back until they get a licence and then make them pay a heavy fine to get their bike/car back.

Thai's know that law enforcement especially regarding traffic laws are a joke and so they do not care.