40 bodies have been recovered in the search for the missing AirAsia plane

webfact

Over 40 bodies recovered at sea as debris pulled from AirAsia crash site

INDONESIA: -- More than 40 bodies have been recovered from the sea near to where AirAsia flight QZ8501 went missing, according to the Indonesian navy, which is helping lead the search.

Officials coming off a search flight this afternoon said they had spotted several bodies, which were taken to a navy ship, while a spotter plane crew said they had seen a "shadow" on the seabed believed to be the missing plane.

Debris floating on the Java Sea's surface have also been photographed. A navy spokesman said a plane door and oxygen tanks had been recovered and taken away by helicopter for tests.

-- scmp.com 2014-12-30
http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1670659/search-area-ill-fated-airasia-flight-expanded-more-countries-send-ships

Edited by Scott
Edited for fair use

They have already retrieved 40 bodies, hope they are able to find many more as this is at least something for the families, hope it will help them to bring closure.

seams most of the stuff is in a confined area, with Lockerbie it was spread over 400 Km2 so must have broke up on impact with the water.

Edited by Basil B

QUOTE :

"The Jawa Post reported that a body in a white T-shirt and orange life jacket had been identified, while Kompas TV quoted the co-pilot of a spotter aircraft as saying that floating objects resembled humans, suitcases and aircraft debris."

Sounds like some of them may have made it out, in which case how many may have been saved if not for the initial delays?

Poor souls.

QUOTE :

"The Jawa Post reported that a body in a white T-shirt and orange life jacket had been identified, while Kompas TV quoted the co-pilot of a spotter aircraft as saying that floating objects resembled humans, suitcases and aircraft debris."

Sounds like some of them may have made it out, in which case how many may have been saved if not for the initial delays?

Poor souls.

There was a report on BBC earlier, and I thought I caught a glimpse of a body in a life jacket. However they cut away from showing it.

Followed it on TV.

Hate the media!! Grieving relatives getting cameras and microphones right in their faces!!

What about showing some respect for their right to privacy??

They do it for those who are following it on TV.

Terrible tragedy, I hope the grieving families can get some closure.

• Like 2

QUOTE :

Poor souls.

There was a report on BBC earlier, and I thought I caught a glimpse of a body in a life jacket. However they cut away from showing it.

There's some overly graphic video out of Jakarta and posted on youtube showing a helo. winch-man descending towards a floating lifeless female, I don';t understand why she was clad in underwear only, seems she was preparing for a swim in the hope that help would arrive, it's all very tragic..

QUOTE :

Poor souls.

Video in the op.

I'm confused. I have just seen images of a near naked person from the crash site. How could that happen unless the person had taken their clothes off? I've got a horrible feeling that the people they are finding made it out. Could this mean that there are some alive? I am finding it hard to say this as the plane has been discovered SO close to the last known point of contact but I am puzzled to find a person nearly naked, an emergency raft/slide and a door.

• Like 1

QUOTE :

Poor souls.

Video in the op.

Not what BBC showed.

I'm confused. I have just seen images of a near naked person from the crash site. How could that happen unless the person had taken their clothes off? I've got a horrible feeling that the people they are finding made it out. Could this mean that there are some alive? I am finding it hard to say this as the plane has been discovered SO close to the last known point of contact but I am puzzled to find a person nearly naked, an emergency raft/slide and a door.

Typically clothes are torn off in the deceleration at extreme forces...(CI crash Taipei-Hong Kong a case it point, although it came apart at altitude).

Edited by Prbkk
  • Like 1

Wearing a dress and hit the water at several hundred km/hr.

if the plane floats on the surface for a short time then there is a chance people may have survived escaping through emergency exits but if the hull was breached then no chance of getting out as water rushes in and seals the exits while it is sinking, if it was completely split open then a chance to get out before it sinks beyond about 30 meters - after 30 meters very few if anyone could make it to the surface, that is of course assuming if anyone survives the crash impact

A very distressing situation for all concerned

Edited by smedly

Typically clothes are torn off in the deceleration at extreme forces...

Just the top layer?

QUOTE :

Poor souls.

Video in the op.

Not what BBC showed.

No ones survived this if that's what you are thinking?

QUOTE :

Poor souls.

Yes, some may have made it. I thought this at the first report of a life jacket and a bouyancy vest being spotted, and the aircraft's slide. It means they opened the doors and some got out. The woman in the video appears to have stripped down for a swim.

In the face of at least 40 deaths, at least others may be alive.

Typically clothes are torn off in the deceleration at extreme forces...

Just the top layer?

As I undestand it, it depends on a number of factors, seat location included. In some crashed a number of victims have remained fully clothed, while other partly or completely bare

@ Draftvader....

Many times when someone clothed exits an aircraft or any fast moving vehicle their clothes are ripped away by the wind...say in exsess of 500 knots initially. When you see skydivers exiting an aircraft & falling they're wearing a type of jumpsuit...the wind doesn't rip those off easily & they're not exiting any faster than perhaps less than 200mph...or slower. Next time you're in a car doing 100kmh wearing a long sleeve shirt...put your arm out the window finger tips first & see what happens! That's only at 100 kmh...add a few hunderd and stuff happens.