Ed Visa options for someone already fluent in Thai

I'm interested in applying for an ED Visa, so I'm looking around for a Thai language course,or if possible a Japanese language course. I'm already fluent and literate in Thai, so I would really like to do a course which has a higher level of difficulty than most Thai language courses currently available. If I can't find any courses that are designed for advanced learners of Thai language, I'm considering studying Japanese in Bangkok instead. Is it possible to obtain an ED visa in Thailand studying languages other than Thai?

Thanks!

I've been here for 20 years, speak Thai to a high level of proficiency (through work) and know quite a few foreigners who have learnt Thai to a very high level (one chap even did a master's in Thai literature and poetry and continues to write Thai literature. His speaking is of a similarly high level).

Not one of these people who can speak, read and write Thai at a very high level would consider themselves fluent. I've heard many many foreigners who claim fluency but none that actually are. People who achieve a reasonable degree of proficiency often believe themselves to be fluent but it is never the case. You have a lot to learn.

You're too modest!!

...so I would really like to do a course which has a higher level of difficulty than most Thai language courses currently available.

Not surprisingly, Thai language courses at a higher level are available here, this being Thailand and all.

You, the O/P, would need to look for schools of a higher calibre than the "Fly By Night Language School and One Day Laundry" sort of place on offer to novices but there may even be some institutions where Thai is taught at a level beyond your capabilities!! Surprise, surprise.

Edited by Suradit69

If I were the OP, I would consider studying another language which is useful around the world if you're already fluent in Thai.

If I was younger, I would get into Muay Thai, it will be handy for when you have to take on six Thais. You can get a Ed course to study that.

(one chap even did a master's in Thai literature and poetry and continues to write Thai literature. His speaking is of a similarly high level).

He must have too much free time.

He does! He now works as a translator for Tesco would you believe!

How do they test your proficiency in Japanese at borders or extension time ?

They don't, which is why if you are using the ED as a ploy, you should take another language or subject upon which immigration cannot test you--you have to be smarter than the problem.

• Like 1

How do they test your proficiency in Japanese at borders or extension time ?

that's the next rort, teaching spanish to farang so it cannot get tested.

and easier to learn...

muchas gracias

Edited by PaulHamon

(one chap even did a master's in Thai literature and poetry and continues to write Thai literature. His speaking is of a similarly high level).

He must have too much free time.

You know, the continued disconnection with other's people choices, and general shallowness of you postings never cease to amaze me.

• Like 1

If I were the OP, I would consider studying another language which is useful around the world if you're already fluent in Thai.

If I was younger, I would get into Muay Thai, it will be handy for when you have to take on six Thais. You can get a Ed course to study that.

You really can't, but keep perpetuating the rumor. The consequent joke about "how are they going to test you", is, oh, so funny and original!

• Like 1

Personally in the same situation I just got the cheapest ed visa I could find, didn't attend lessons and self-studied. I get called a visa abuser for that but it's not hurting anyone if you're not using that visa status to work illegally. You'd just be paying for an empty seat and lightening the load for teachers.

If you're already at a high level no classes are going to help you better than you could help yourself. Start reading Pantip threads, try to get to the point where you can read almost as fast as English. Agree with other posters that no none is ever 'fluent' though. You're just converstationally fluent, fluent in the high utility words you use every day.

Pick up a thai history textbook and you can't read it as fast as your native tongue, so you're not fluent. Or learn another language in Thai, e.g. pick up a book that teaches Thais Japanese.

If you don't like self-study the other alternative is private tuition rather than classes, a lot more expensive, a friend did that for 80,000 Baht/year at Pro Language BKK with Ed visa. Or 40 hour batches at Thonglor School http://thonglorthai.jimdo.com/english/. That or a university course as mentioned.

You really can't, but keep perpetuating the rumor. The consequent joke about "how are they going to test you", is, oh, so funny and original!

I read here on Thaivisa that you could, I read it more than once, I also read about a guy at seventy doing it, but what your saying is probably true. They could test you, they could put you in the ring with six Thais.

I've been here for 20 years, speak Thai to a high level of proficiency (through work) and know quite a few foreigners who have learnt Thai to a very high level (one chap even did a master's in Thai literature and poetry and continues to write Thai literature. His speaking is of a similarly high level).

Not one of these people who can speak, read and write Thai at a very high level would consider themselves fluent. I've heard many many foreigners who claim fluency but none that actually are. People who achieve a reasonable degree of proficiency often believe themselves to be fluent but it is never the case. You have a lot to learn.

I think, and it is only an opinion, that if you can hold a telephone conversation with a Thai you do not know, then that would make you fluent in the Thai language.

I remember a foreigner who was so modest as to use the term native speaker to categorise his own level of Thai language proficiency. Evidently he had some trouble in his first language, with either "native," or "speaker." Very strange.