Just one query really about the Affirmation to Marry Doc:

Damsurin

You need to translate the affirmation and get the translation vitrified by Ministry of foreign affairs (MFA).

Many translation agencies can arrange the MFA verification for a fee.

we are planning on marrying in bkk soon , could you tell us if we need to book appointment to do affirmation at the british embassy bkk

and after getting this do we need to book and appointment at the mfa? if so do youknow where in bkk this is?

we did passport for our baby to get british passport this was done in a office near nana station

No appointment required for Affirmation, takes about 1-2 hours.

Translation then required at about 500 baht.

You take both to the MFA at Chaeng Wattana and get them certified.

I think you really need to do a bit more research !

555 thanks for that , i been to the british embassy but just wasnt sure what do do after that !!! can the embassy visit and visit to the mfa be done in one day??

thanks again for all help

555 thanks for that , i been to the british embassy but just wasnt sure what do do after that !!! can the embassy visit and visit to the mfa be done in one day??

If you turn up early at the embassy and get your affirmation validated.

You can go across the road from the Brit emb and get the doc translated, approved by MFA, go for lunch and then get taken to the Amphor and be married all in one day.

They use a m/c to whip the translated doc approved and they (you) pay the bigger fee for fast track.

They will provide a translator/witnesses as required.

After the marriage they will also translate the marriage cert to English and get it MFS approved.

Everything for a huge fee of course.

Whilst you can do everything yourself, it can take ages and if not living in BKK add travel/accommodation costs and time.....

The going rate is anything up to about 20,000b

If money is no object it certainly is a great way to do it.

BTW, if you have property that you want to keep as yours, declare such property during the marriage ceremony and it will be so noted on the marriage cert - the written part.

Good luck and Happy New Year

• Like 1

by the time you get your affirmation then translated you would be very pushed time wise to get over to the MFA

in time as they close applications mid afternoon i believe best for your health if nothing else make it a pleasant experience over two days

im going to do it over 2 days i think , and get married on second day if all goes well

been on laptop all day this our plan 555 for next week

arrive british embassy get fredom to marry, walk to wave bld near phloechit mtr station , get paper work translated

mtr to mo chit station ,get the paper work sorted MFA at Chaeng Wattana, hopefully go back the next morning

to get paperwork

then onto khet banrak to get married

all hopefully

thanks again

let you all know the outcome

Keep copies / originals of all docs.

when applying for extension of stay based on marriage, the first year I was asked for this "affirmation to marry doc" from the Embassy. I went to the Ampur where we registered the marriage - Lak Si ampur which is across the street from the Chaeng Wattana complex to retrieve it. There was some discussion among the clerks and finally one came to me and said: it would take a while.... maybe days. she told me it was filed somewhere upstairs and locating it would be a hassle. So, I asked her for a document that stated exactly that. They did this because we had registered the marriage there, and since they knew that they knew that I must have given them the affirmation doc. I took this statement with a stamp on it from the Ampur office back to Chaeng Wattana and they accepted it :)

• Like 1

Just been through this process (will do full report later) and if there is one piece of advise I can give to you it is have the affirmation document translated at the official desk at the MFA, cost 500 baht. I used an agent 400 baht and it was a nightmare had to get the document re-translated and had to wait another day

• Like 1

I agree regarding the translations, they can be variably in quality, when I had mine done across the road from the British Embassy my Thai fiancee was with me and she spotted a couple of mistakes and got them corrected.

Same happened after the wedding when we got the certificate translated.

As for doing it all in a day, when I did mine the MFA were at their temporary office in Bang Na and we got the affirmation, translation and MFA bit done in 7 hours from the time we entered the Embassy.

• Like 1

Just been through this process (will do full report later) and if there is one piece of advise I can give to you it is have the affirmation document translated at the official desk at the MFA, cost 500 baht. I used an agent 400 baht and it was a nightmare had to get the document re-translated and had to wait another day

thanks fr that mate

• Like 1

The Thai woman can only own land in Thailand if she is "legally single" in Thailand. (She can be legally married in USA or England though). Once the foreign man is legally married to Thai women under the eyes of Thai laws, the Thai woman is legally married and cannot own land or the improved property above the land.

Damsurin, you are asking about UK settlement in the Visa and migration forum; so remember to obtain a certified English translation of your marriage certificate as it will be useful, maybe necessary in some circumstances, once in the UK.

For all UK purposes a certificate by the translator is sufficient; as long as it includes

• confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document;
  • the date of the translation;
  • the translator's full name and signature; and
  • the translator's contact details.

However other countries, including most EU ones, also require the translation be certified as correct by the Thai MFA. So you will need this should you wish to visit another EU state and you wife needs to apply for a Schengen visa.

Get this done in Bangkok; it'll be cheaper and easier than doing it in the UK later.

• Like 1

The Thai woman can only own land in Thailand if she is "legally single" in Thailand. (She can be legally married in USA or England though). Once the foreign man is legally married to Thai women under the eyes of Thai laws, the Thai woman is legally married and cannot own land or the improved property above the land.

Sorry; incorrect.

BTW, if she is legally married, in the UK, US or anywhere then she is also legally married in Thailand.

This has come up many times before on TV; the law changed sometime in the last century, I believe.

Edit;

I should have said that the Thai wife needs to show that the money to buy the land is hers and hers alone, and the foreign husband needs to declare that the land belongs to the Thai wife and he has no claim over it.

See Thai married to a Foreigner

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

As you were told do a little research, would you like someone to hold your hand all the way there and back? Don't be so lazy, google marriage in Thailand, or maybe someone will do it for you and post all the requirements, locations, fees, times, etc.If you can't figure out how to get married, maybe you shouldn't...

Sorry; incorrect.

BTW, if she is legally married, in the UK, US or anywhere then she is also legally married in Thailand.

This has come up many times before on TV; the law changed sometime in the last century, I believe.

Edit;

I should have said that the Thai wife needs to show that the money to buy the land is hers and hers alone, and the foreign husband needs to declare that the land belongs to the Thai wife and he has no claim over it.

See Thai married to a Foreigner

7by7 is absolutely correct.

Earlier this year we bought land for my wife.

I was required to sign a document to agree that the money used was totally hers.

Same again when buying another house.

Edit

Having said that:

Should we decide to divorce, these purchases would have to be sold and the money split 50/50.

Which is true for all capital purchases made since the marriage.

If you have property before the marriage that you want to keep then declare it during the ceremony as I mentioned before.

Edited by laislica
  • Like 1

Step 1. Get affirmation to marry from British Embassy.

Step 2. Take that to a translation company over the road from the embassy. The British Embassy will give you a list if aprooved translators with your affirmation. They can do all the Ministry of Foreign Affairs part for you and then post it to you.

Step 3. Go to Amphur and get married. Easy as that.

• Like 1

As you were told do a little research, would you like someone to hold your hand all the way there and back? Don't be so lazy, google marriage in Thailand, or maybe someone will do it for you and post all the requirements, locations, fees, times, etc.If you can't figure out how to get married, maybe you shouldn't...

thanks for crass reply, i have researched it all and i am just making sure from members of a FORUM i am doing things right ,,

we are taking a 3 month old baby with us to do all of this in 2 days , you know what its like without having a baby in tow , HAPPY NEW YEAR

thanks for crass reply, i have researched it all and i am just making sure from members of a FORUM i am doing things right ,,

we are taking a 3 month old baby with us to do all of this in 2 days , you know what its like without having a baby in tow , HAPPY NEW YEAR

Once you have your affirmation you need to be at the MFA before 7am to get in the queue for the same day service. If everything is ok they start to hand the completed paperwork out anytime after 12, then you have to get to the amphur before it closes and with traffic I think you may be cutting it a bit fine

If you are asking if the MFA will do the translation for you; I believe not.

If you are asking if they will certify or 'legalise' a certified translation; yes.

However, as I have not had it done I cannot give you the exact procedure.

Edited by 7by7

Just to be clear, I'm asking about the marriage certificate you get from the amphur once you're officially married, and not the affirmation (which I read somewhere you can get translated at the MFA). Is it better to get your marriage certificate translated while you're in Thailand, rather than in the UK (if you plan to live in the UK afterwards, that is) ?