Just one query really about the Affirmation to Marry Doc:

Damsurin

Just to be clear, I'm asking about the marriage certificate you get from the amphur once you're officially married, and not the affirmation (which I read somewhere you can get translated at the MFA). Is it better to get your marriage certificate translated while you're in Thailand, rather than in the UK (if you plan to live in the UK afterwards, that is) ?

You can get your marriage certificate translated and certified at the MFA. It is better to have it translated in Thailand. You may need to produce a translated copy for any pensions you may have.

It is all quite straightforward!

The British Embassy has a 'form' with the required wording for an Affidavit for Affirmation to Marry. You fill it out with your details. Remember that you have to prove that you are single or divorced; in the latter case you will need the original County Court Dissolution from the UK. The Embassy will give you a list of translators. The one in the plaza over the bridge from Wireless Road on Sukhumvit will translate the Affirmation into Thai and they will take both documents to to the MFA and get them certified and stamped...far preferable to your doing it yourself. Once you have the pink and green Marriage Certificate they will translate it into English and have both language documents certified and stamped by MFA.

Just to be clear, I'm asking about the marriage certificate you get from the amphur once you're officially married, and not the affirmation (which I read somewhere you can get translated at the MFA). Is it better to get your marriage certificate translated while you're in Thailand, rather than in the UK (if you plan to live in the UK afterwards, that is) ?

You can get your marriage certificate translated and certified at the MFA. It is better to have it translated in Thailand. You may need to produce a translated copy for any pensions you may have.

It is certainly a lot cheaper to have the marriage certificate translated in Thailand than in the UK!

For all UK purposes, including visa applications, a certificate by the translator, as detailed in post 19 above, is sufficient.

However other countries, including most of the rest of the EU, also require the translation be certified by the MFA.

So if you ever wish to visit another EU country and your spouse applies for a Schengen visa you will need this done. It can be done via the RTE in Kensington; but it'll be quicker and easier to have it done at the MFA whilst still in Bangkok.

As noted above, after getting the free to marry affidavit from your consulate, the next step becomes getting that translated into Thai.

There are private translation offices around BKK and Ploenchit in particular. But there is also a private translation counter/service inside the MFA Building on CW Road -- the same building where you go to obtain the MFA certification.

IMHO, it's best to use the service at the MFA office, because they guarantee to fix any problem that might be found by the MFA folks. But if your translation company is halfway across town in Ploenchit, you're in for a long ride and lots more delays. And, the cost of the counter inside the MFA building is no more expensive, and often less expensive, than some of the farang area translation companies.

Second, it's really pushing things to try to accomplish everything in one day. Getting the affidavit early on day one and then a trip to MFA for the translation and then certification can be done on a single day. When we went a couple months ago, we had a 2-3 hour wait from the time MFA took our translation until the time after lunch that they returned it.

Then, make the second day the day for going to the amphur office and whatever else you want to do to mark the occasion. Make sure you know ahead of time just exactly what documents the amphur you're planning on going to will require, as they vary from location to location.

Lastly, IMHO, using one of the marriage services that charge 20,000 baht or more to handle everything is just throwing your money away. We did it ourselves earlier this year, and the whole process including everything probably came to under 5,000 baht including local BKK travel. And a good portion of that was the $50 fee charged by the U.S. Consulate for each of the two affidavits that I required, so $100 in total (a second one because I previously had been married and divorced).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

According to the British Consulate website, you just need to download 2 forms (Notice of Marriage, and Affidavit), print them out, and take them along to the embassy.

Presumably you can fill these in yourself in advance of going to the embassy, except for the signature which you do at the embassy.

Can anyone confirm thats correct?

According to the British Consulate website, you just need to download 2 forms (Notice of Marriage, and Affidavit), print them out, and take them along to the embassy.

Presumably you can fill these in yourself in advance of going to the embassy, except for the signature which you do at the embassy.

Can anyone confirm thats correct?

You can download an EXAMPLE for your affidavit and then type it yourself. There are no actual forms you can fill in yourself

• Like 1

Right, so you only use the downloadable forms to practice with, a good way of making sure you know all the info in advance.

Then you can just copy what you have on your samples onto the real form at the embassy.

No you have to type out the affirmation as laid out in the sample form. Then you take this to the embassy and have it certified. There is no affirmation form at the embassy, only the downloadable sample. (a big pile of them)

• Like 1

Type the form yourself in the same format as the example using YOUR details and then print it.

DO NOT sign it until you are asked to do so in front of the relevant embassy official, they will also sign and emboss the document.

This signature by the embassy official is what is certified at the MFA along with the translation of the document.

Edited by The Fat Controller
  • Like 1

Ok, I get it now. One other question, the consulate website has 2 forms - an Affidavit and a Notice of Marriage. So I need to type out and print both of these, and take to the embassy ?

This is the page I'm looking at with sample forms : http://www.british-consulate.org/marriage-abroad.html

there are lots of different ones heres another from British Embassy in Bangkok http://www.british-consulate.org/british-embassy-thailand.html and a couple more...

http://www.ukthaivisa.com/other/affirmation-of-freedom-to-marry

http://www.baanlaanta.com/facilities/weddings/sample-letter-of-affirmation-for-marriage

neither of these are what I used about 6 months ago smile.png

as for the affidavit one I'm pretty sure they gave it to me at the consulate but DL it and print it off anyway just in case smile.png

Edited by padsterj

Remember to make sure you have all the relevant documents when you go to the embassy.

From step 1 of the embassy's guide.

please bring with you to the Embassy your passport, as proof of identity, and evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved/terminated (you will need to show an original death certificate or divorce certificate, for the UK a decree absolute from the court). Certificates issued in a third country outside UK and Thailand must be certified by the relevant British Embassy/Consulate or its respective Embassy in Thailand. Only the original evidence or an official certified copy will be accepted – photocopies will not be accepted under any circumstances.

That specimen includes a line on your occupation, which I expected to be included. But it then it goes on to include a statement on your earnings.

I see no reason why I should have to include that information. If it was a visa application yes of course, but to get married, no.

Is this just like the landing card questions (which also include one about earnings) where you think, why they asking that? In which case, you can put any old figure down, they won't check up on it.

That specimen includes a line on your occupation, which I expected to be included. But it then it goes on to include a statement on your earnings.

I see no reason why I should have to include that information. If it was a visa application yes of course, but to get married, no.

Is this just like the landing card questions (which also include one about earnings) where you think, why they asking that? In which case, you can put any old figure down, they won't check up on it.

You have to include that information. When I did mine I put retired no income, they questioned this at the embassy and i said I was living off savings, told me that was not good enough I had to leave the building and get the form re-typed saying I was retired but had income of 65000 baht a month. Without this the application for marriage would be rejected.

On the last line of the affirmation form, the sample has "Signature and official seal of witness"

but its in light grey colour. Does this mean it shouldn't be included when I print it ?

You do not include the light grey script. The embassy write that in