best easiest long term visa option for 47 year old irish guy married to thai.

as it says in the heading, what is the best option for a long term visa for me, consulate in dublin is due to open on 2 jan 2015 so i want to know in advance what the best option is for me. i am 47 yr old, married to thai with children to her. i have money in bank to show though i do not have a monthly income from work or a pension. i have only savings in thai banks.

thai visa options are a minefield so sorry but there seems to be many options to stay long term . i think ED visa is out of the question as i hear and read that immigration is making life tough for ED visa holders though i would like to go that route and study and learn thai at least it will help me fill my days and keep me occupied so i think i would enjoy the challenge of the ED visa route.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa at the consulate with no financial proof. You would have to do a border run every 90 days for a new entry.

You could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. You will would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or proof of 40k baht income.

• Like 1

Yep, non-O based on marriage is your best option. You actually don't have so many choices so are lucky to have that option at all. You will need a copy of your marriage certificate, copy of her ID and possibly passport. No financials needs for this option. Your alternative would be to go for an extension of stay based upon marriage here, avoids the need for 90 day country exits but does involve a lot more effort to get in the 1st place and has a financial requirement.

I doubt the challenge of an ED visa would be enjoyable for that long, if you really want to learn Thai I am sure somewhere will teach you without the visa thing.

• Like 1

just read this on thai consulate visa page about applying for a non ( o ) based on marriage. though i am travelling alone, she will not accompany me. please see link i have pasted below.

I just got non-O visa in the USA (married to a Thai) and though it was approved, the consulate sent me a letter stating that a new law that supposedly went into effect as of today (Jan 1) requires anyone wanting a non-O visa to physically apply in person at a consulate or embassy. Maybe not a burden for most, but a long trip for others.

Your travel plans and expected stays in Thailand certainly seem to change from month to month and thread to thread.

Might be a little difficult getting an extension of stay based on marriage if you plan on staying in a "cheap room" in Pattaya (alone??) that you asked about in one of your threads.
Edited by Suradit69

I just got non-O visa in the USA (married to a Thai) and though it was approved, the consulate sent me a letter stating that a new law that supposedly went into effect as of today (Jan 1) requires anyone wanting a non-O visa to physically apply in person at a consulate or embassy. Maybe not a burden for most, but a long trip for others.

These are not laws but local "rules" with no consistency from a country to another. By the way, the OP is not in the US.

Edited by paz

It would not be a law just a policy of the embassy in DC.

If that was from a honorary consulate that is nothing new. They have only been able to accept any visa application in person for over a year now. No mail in application can be done.