US state spares four on death row

webfact

Last 4 on Maryland death row to have sentences commuted

ANNAPOLIS, Maryland (AP) — Maryland's outgoing governor said Wednesday he will commute the capital sentences of the state's last four inmates on death row to life in prison, saying executing them "does not serve the public good of the people of Maryland."

Two years ago, the state's legislature abolished the death penalty in Maryland, making the ultimate sentence in new cases life in prison without the possibility of parole.

That left four previously sentenced inmates on death row.

Gov. Martin O'Malley noted in a statement that outgoing Attorney General Doug Gansler recently asserted that carrying out prior sentences would be illegal in the absence of an existing statute.

"The question at hand is whether any public good is served by allowing these essentially un-executable sentences to stand," O'Malley said in his statement. "In my judgment, leaving these death sentences in place does not serve the public good of the people of Maryland — present or future."

The governor said he had met or spoken with many of the relatives of the people killed by the inmates, and he thanked them for talking with him about the cases.

But he said that his failing to act at this point in the legal process would "needlessly and callously subject survivors, and the people of Maryland, to the ordeal of an endless appeals process, with unpredictable twists and turns, and without any hope of finality or closure."

Only five Maryland inmates were executed since the death penalty was reinstated in 1978.

O'Malley, a Democrat, will leave office next month after having served two terms, the limit in Maryland. Gansler will leave office at the same time after a failed bid for the Democratic nomination for governor.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-01

The days of the death penalty in the United States are numbered as more states continue the trend to abolish it.

As I'd noted in another thread, the death penalty issue in the United States is becoming a culturally subtle undercurrent that has now begun to manifest itself, similar to the gay civil unions issue that suddenly exploded on the Republican party, conservatives, the radical hard core and hard hitting right. The latter are being neutralized despite all the noise, commotion and passe' old arguments they make.

The old arguments are not holding as much water as they used to hold.....and their arguments will continue to hold less and less water in only a pretty short time going forward.

Federal Judge Rules Death Penalty Unconstitutional in California

The ruling could make its way to the Supreme Court.

July 16, 2014

A federal judge has struck down California's death penalty on grounds that the system is so broken, it violates the Constitution.

"It is a conclusion that many judges in California in the state and federal court have come to, that the state's death-penalty system is dysfunctional," said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center. "What this judge did was take it a step further and say because it is so unruly … it cannot be applied, that it is wrong to apply such a random and unpredictable punishment to anyone."

Dieter said he expected California to appeal the decision to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and, if upheld, said the case could reach the Supreme Court.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy/federal-judge-rules-death-penalty-unconstitutional-in-california-20140716

In the above case, the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will uphold its federal district court judge in California....take that to the bank. That will send the case to the Supreme Court.

States Abolishing Death Penalty at Record Pace

MAY 9, 2013

The days of putting convicted criminals to death in the United States could be on the wane. Six states have gotten rid of capital punishment in the last six years, while more could be on the way.

Since 2007, New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, Illinois and Connecticut have all decided to no longer impose death sentences. Previously, no state had abolished capital punishment since 1984.

The biggest driving force behind the move away from the death penalty is the specter of executing innocent people, Dieter asserts. “It’s the high ground of protecting innocent life by abolishing the death penalty,” he says.

One hundred forty-two people on death row have been exonerated and released from prison since 1976. Just this Tuesday the Mississippi Supreme Court stepped in at the last minute to stay the execution of Willie Manning, who was convicted of a double murder in 1994 based on what is now considered discredited DNA evidence

http://blogs.lawyers.com/2013/05/states-abolishing-death-penalty/

Edited by Publicus

This is way over due.

i believe the USA is about the last " first world country" to still use capital punishment.

In recent decades DNA testing has proved that many innocent people have been wrongfully excucuted.

Saying " Oops! We're sorry!" really doesn't help.

The following quote is from TIME magazine:

New research finds that almost four percent of U.S. capital punishment sentences are wrongful convictions, almost double the number of people set free, meaning around 120 of the roughly 3,000 inmates on death row in America are not guilty

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 2

What a terrible decision. I wonder if he would have done the same if his close family member had been a victim of one of these killers he let off the hook.

The judge is not a member of the Corleone Family, he's a United States District Court Judge making decisions based on the constitution of the United States.

Whatever some others may call it, it is in fact the rule of law.

The judge btw was appointed by Prez G.W.Bush.

Edited by Publicus

What a terrible decision. I wonder if he would have done the same if his close family member had been a victim of one of these killers he let off the hook.

The judge is not a member of the Corleone Family, he's a United States District Court Judge making decisions based on the constitution of the United States.

Didn't the outgoing Governor commute the sentences. State legislature abolished death penalty. Where are you getting Federal District Court Judge?

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

I wonder if he would have made the same decision if one of his family members was executed and was proven by DNA as innocent.

The death penalty is very subjective to many. It is an absolute determination, and no overturning of the action.

Life in prison can be a lot cheaper alternative, but does not give that primeval need for revenge.

Putting the hard core murderers, particularly child killers and serial killers back in general population might be a good thing, usually they last less than the 15 years it would take through the appeal process to execution anyway.

The days of the death penalty in the United States are numbered as more states continue the trend to abolish it.

As I'd noted in another thread, the death penalty issue in the United States is becoming a culturally subtle undercurrent that has now begun to manifest itself, similar to the gay civil unions issue that suddenly exploded on the Republican party, conservatives, the radical hard core and hard hitting right. The latter are being neutralized despite all the noise, commotion and passe' old arguments they make.

The old arguments are not holding as much water as they used to hold.....and their arguments will continue to hold less and less water in only a pretty short time going forward.

Federal Judge Rules Death Penalty Unconstitutional in California

The ruling could make its way to the Supreme Court.

July 16, 2014

A federal judge has struck down California's death penalty on grounds that the system is so broken, it violates the Constitution.

"It is a conclusion that many judges in California in the state and federal court have come to, that the state's death-penalty system is dysfunctional," said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center. "What this judge did was take it a step further and say because it is so unruly … it cannot be applied, that it is wrong to apply such a random and unpredictable punishment to anyone."

Dieter said he expected California to appeal the decision to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and, if upheld, said the case could reach the Supreme Court.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/domesticpolicy/federal-judge-rules-death-penalty-unconstitutional-in-california-20140716

In the above case, the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will uphold its federal district court judge in California....take that to the bank. That will send the case to the Supreme Court.

MAY 9, 2013

The days of putting convicted criminals to death in the United States could be on the wane. Six states have gotten rid of capital punishment in the last six years, while more could be on the way.

Since 2007, New York, New Jersey, New Mexico, Illinois and Connecticut have all decided to no longer impose death sentences. Previously, no state had abolished capital punishment since 1984.

The biggest driving force behind the move away from the death penalty is the specter of executing innocent people, Dieter asserts. “It’s the high ground of protecting innocent life by abolishing the death penalty,” he says.

One hundred forty-two people on death row have been exonerated and released from prison since 1976. Just this Tuesday the Mississippi Supreme Court stepped in at the last minute to stay the execution of Willie Manning, who was convicted of a double murder in 1994 based on what is now considered discredited DNA evidence

http://blogs.lawyers.com/2013/05/states-abolishing-death-penalty/

I'm sure the ACLU (liberal vermin) will be happy to hear this. I'm not certain why you keep mentioning "gay unions" as being similar to the death penalty. Oh wait, I think I understand now. A man marring another man, would be like receiving the death penalty. Right??

It's good to see a judge, anywhere in the world these days, actually basing his decision on the rule of law and explaining it very clearly.

Too many judges seem to base their decisions on abstract subjective views or are pressured into a popular media driven decision.

This gentleman is clearly above that.

• Like 1

This guy deserve a death sentence.

--------

A Los Angeles County jury says a man should die for the torture killings of a Lancaster woman and her three young daughters.

. . .

24-year-old King stabbed 43-year-old Sonya Durfield Harris and her 14-year-old daughter more than 50 times each in their home in 2008.

He then stabbed, beat and stomped Harris' 11-year-old daughter and strangled her 9-year-old girl.

Prosecutors say the motive for killing Harris was unclear, but the girls were slain because they were witnesses.

After the killings, King doused the bodies and home with gasoline and set it on fire.

http://ksn.com/2014/12/30/death-penalty-verdict-for-torture-murders-in-california/

This case you posted, is a very good example of why there should be a death penalty.

This guy does not qualify as human. If he did that, F his right to be treated humanly and not suffer the cruel and unusual punishment of being put to sleep and then ODed with some drugs. He ain't worth the money spent on the lethal injunction drugs.

Where there is absolute assurance of guilt, not just beyond reasonable doubt, and the crime is horrific like this one, then a death penalty should be available.

However, the process that allows 10-20 years of appeals, waiting, etc needs addressing and so does the mode of execution. Hanging, Guillotine, Bullet to back of head, electrocution, gassing - plenty of options.

--------

A Los Angeles County jury says a man should die for the torture killings of a Lancaster woman and her three young daughters.

. . .

24-year-old King stabbed 43-year-old Sonya Durfield Harris and her 14-year-old daughter more than 50 times each in their home in 2008.

He then stabbed, beat and stomped Harris' 11-year-old daughter and strangled her 9-year-old girl.

Prosecutors say the motive for killing Harris was unclear, but the girls were slain because they were witnesses.

After the killings, King doused the bodies and home with gasoline and set it on fire.

http://ksn.com/2014/12/30/death-penalty-verdict-for-torture-murders-in-california/

This case you posted, is a very good example of why there should be a death penalty.

This kind of case is why I can't bring myself to want to end the death penalty, but the ones where someone was on death row for and 20 years and then new evidence exonerated them is why I can't bring myself to be completely for it either.

UG, never forget that the court needs proof beyond reasonable doubt to convict. Just because someone is later exonerated in a higher court doesn't necessarilly mean they didn't do it.

I've seen cases where in a minor technicality ends up in major evidence being rejected & subsequent convictions over turned. I've seen professional prostitute witnesses give conflicting advice on items which has resulted in items being removed from considered evidence.

I've seen cases where people walked and they were as guilty as hell (in appeal as well) & I've had perps laugh right in my face as they walked free. There was tonnes of evidence but multiples of mud slung to discredit crucial evidence. Remember the words, beyond reasonable doubt.

Imo it's easier to get off something than to prove it.

In this day and age, gathering evidence and it being done perfectly is more important than ever.

I remember a case where the prosecution had accidentally left evidence which was in a sealed bag unattended in the boot of a locked police vehicle inside a locked case. Nothing was tampered with, however continuatity was lost, the item not accepted into evidence.....where it had been in the lower court. On appeal a water tight case was cracked open with nothing more than absolute nonsese. A crook walked, definitely far from innocent one.

When I hear about innocent ppl being release I often ponder how innocent they really are ;)

Be honest.

Execution is the easy way out for these evil people.

Lay down on the table, get a few injections and it's all over.

Don't you think a life time of deprivation, isolation and possibly even remorse is a far more unpleasant punishment?

Execution teaches nobody anything.

Execution is about revenge...that is all!

• Like 2

--------

. . .

This guy does not qualify as human. If he did that, F his right to be treated humanly and not suffer the cruel and unusual punishment of being put to sleep and then ODed with some drugs. He ain't worth the money spent on the lethal injunction drugs.

Where there is absolute assurance of guilt, not just beyond reasonable doubt, and the crime is horrific like this one, then a death penalty should be available.

However, the process that allows 10-20 years of appeals, waiting, etc needs addressing and so does the mode of execution. Hanging, Guillotine, Bullet to back of head, electrocution, gassing - plenty of options.

I clerked for a State Supreme Court in the mid-90s. The level of scrutiny is beyond belief at all levels these days. I have seen some older cases that were bunk, but they did not have the procedures in place back then for death eligible offenses and trials.

I suppose when you see what I have seen and read, it hardens you and changes you. I have written opinions for Judges in cases that were worse than horror movies and stuff for some reason you never even hear about on the news. I had two particularly bad cases once at the same time that actually have me nightmares. The crime scene photos stay with you also.

I have a high level of confidence in the judicial system now in death legible cases, not so much in the 60s and 70s. We have death qualified juries, only approved defense counsel can handle death legible cases and trial judges are beyond cautious and careful in death legible cases. Only certain prosecutors can handle and they are extra careful because the least little mistake or error can result in mistrial or reversal. The cases go direct appeal and than mandatory State Supreme Court review. State Supreme Courts have special staff attorneys that are experts in this area (read every death penalty case) that assist the clerks in drafting opinions for the Judges. The judges spend a lot if time going through the records. If affirmed, the process starts over with post conviction relief through both State levels and than to the Federal District Court and Federal Circuit Court. The United States Supreme Court rarely reviews these unless there is a unique or unsettled issue of law. The are usually appeals to the governor when it get close to execution time where everything is re-reviewed again.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

...who is a criminal.

So last night, I was a New Years Eve party hosted by a guy from the Ukraine and his wife was from Russia. Lots of people from Czech, Russia and Ukraine there.

Because I am a lawyer, he started making fun of the US legal system stating it was to complicated. He said in Russia and in the Ukraine its simple. The man with the most money wins. If you don't have the most money, they take you out and the woods and start shoveling. Problem solved for the cost of a bullet.

This guy took a very wealthy US property investor over to Russia to to invest in some property development. The investor refused to pay off the mayor like $ 5 mm. He said they were about to take Mr. investor out into the woods and start shoveling a hole for him. This guy is pretty tied and his hot arrssee Russian wife's family is apparently Russian mafia (based on an off handed remark he made earlier in the night). He told the Russian intent on shoveling that the investor came with him and was going back with him. Shoveling averted, investor made it back to the states.

Sounds like urban legend type of stuff. This guy was hilarious, nutty and serious all at the same time. I had fun going through his gun safe. He has a class 3 license and super high end fully automatic weapons and some very expensive hand made guns from all over the world.

Anyway, Russia and Ukraine have a very quick and efficient legal system. I suppose that constant threat of shoveling a hole in the woods tends to keep people in line somewhat.

So last night, I was a New Years Eve party hosted by a guy from the Ukraine and his wife was from Russia. Lots of people from Czech, Russia and Ukraine there.

Because I am a lawyer, he started making fun of the US legal system stating it was to complicated. He said in Russia and in the Ukraine its simple. The man with the most money wins. If you don't have the most money, they take you out and the woods and start shoveling. Problem solved for the cost of a bullet.

This guy took a very wealthy US property investor over to Russia to to invest in some property development. The investor refused to pay off the mayor like $ 5 mm. He said they were about to take Mr. investor out into the woods and start shoveling a hole for him. This guy is pretty tied and his hot arrssee Russian wife's family is apparently Russian mafia (based on an off handed remark he made earlier in the night). He told the Russian intent on shoveling that the investor came with him and was going back with him. Shoveling averted, investor made it back to the states.

Sounds like urban legend type of stuff. This guy was hilarious, nutty and serious all at the same time. I had fun going through his gun safe. He has a class 3 license and super high end fully automatic weapons and some very expensive hand made guns from all over the world.

Anyway, Russia and Ukraine have a very quick and efficient legal system. I suppose that constant threat of shoveling a hole in the woods tends to keep people in line somewhat.

they take you out and the woods and start shoveling.

The woods and the law of the jungle, yes.

All the same, I have absolutely no doubt the guy was an entertaining and fascinating personality on several levels simultaneously. And that in some cultures their ages old evolved humor is what's known as black humor, and for good reason.

The steadily increasing number of states abolishing capital punishment is taking the United States further away from those decrepit systems and values and attitudes that continue to hangover from the Old World past. The Corleone Family & Syndicate system of 'justice'.

Bendini, Lambert and Locke.

Edited by Publicus

Didn't the outgoing Governor commute the sentences. State legislature abolished death penalty. Where are you getting Federal District Court Judge?

Here again is the cite from my post above concerning the federal judge......http://www.nationalj...fornia-20140716

In 2012 California voters defeated a referendum that would have abolished the death penalty, 53% to keep it, 47% to abolish it. In 1989, the respected California Field Poll had shown 73% supported capital punishment, so the opposition to it is still trending and is a considerable distance from bottoming out.

In recent years, according to California’s Field Poll, perceptions of the costs of incarceration relative to the death penalty have markedly changed in the state. Fifty-three percent of likely voters now believe the death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment, up from 26 percent in 1989. Supporters had pointed to an influential study published by a federal appeals court judge and law professor that concluded California has spent $4 billion to carry out just 13 executions and cover other death penalty costs since capital punishment was reinstated in 1978.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/333023/california-votes-keep-death-penalty-katherine-connell

As to the outgoing governor, the only thing Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger did on his way out in 2011 was to close the door behind him. He commuted a couple of death penalty inmates but not the death penalty itself.

Here again is the cite from my post above concerning the federal judge......http://www.nationalj...fornia-20140716

In 2012 California voters defeated a referendum that would have abolished the death penalty, 53% to keep it, 47% to abolish it. In 1989, the respected California Field Poll had shown 73% supported capital punishment, so the opposition to it is still trending and is a considerable distance from bottoming out.

In recent years, according to Californias Field Poll, perceptions of the costs of incarceration relative to the death penalty have markedly changed in the state. Fifty-three percent of likely voters now believe the death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment, up from 26 percent in 1989. Supporters had pointed to an influential study published by a federal appeals court judge and law professor that concluded California has spent $4 billion to carry out just 13 executions and cover other death penalty costs since capital punishment was reinstated in 1978.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/333023/california-votes-keep-death-penalty-katherine-connell

As to the outgoing governor, the only thing Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger did on his way out in 2011 was to close the door behind him. He commuted a couple of death penalty inmates but not the death penalty itself.

The OP is about Maryland, not California. Each state has its own set of rules and procedures regarding death eligible offenses.

The OP says Maryland legislature abolished the death penalty. That is a legislative, not a judicial prerogative. The OP says the outgoing Maryland governor commuted the Maryland convictions.

How the heck are you intertwining California in this.

Am I missing something about the OP or are you actually that clueless to think a ruling from a California District Court would have any binding impact upon a Maryland Court or that a California District Court can rule on a Maryland statute or law.

Lol, Internet education ain't all its cracked up to be. A California District Court cannot strike or rule on any Maryland laws or force Maryland to do anything.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 2

--------

. . .

This kind of case is why I can't bring myself to want to end the death penalty, but the ones where someone was on death row for and 20 years and then new evidence exonerated them is why I can't bring myself to be completely for it either.

Well, looking individually case by case at the evil and usually unspeakable butchery of death penalty murderers has its powerful impact, that is for sure. A prof I had specializes in the Lizzy Borden murder case and showed me the police photos of her axe-murdered parents in their home, which after decades remains with me to the present. So imagine arriving at the scene after the two NYC uniformed police officers had been shot in the head while sitting in their car munching a hasty lunch.....

The case by case obsessing goes nowhere fast. The question is what is in the interest of society. Should society have the death penalty or not have it.

For example, there is no known cure for sociopathy and medical science says between 2-4 percent of a given society consists of sociopaths. So what to do with them when they do what sociopaths do, is the question. Given that there is no significant difference between a sociopath and a psychopath -- many medical experts say they are one and the same -- what to do with 'em once they reveal themselves in some horrendous crime.

Lock 'em away and study them for as long as it takes cause killing them gets society nowhere.

Publicus:

I wouldn't expect you to know this since you have zero background about the law, but there are several District Court judges throughout the United States, including 2 in California and one here in Nashville (Judge Nixon), that have a history of declaring State death penalty laws unconstitutional. They are always reversed by the apical Circuit Court of Appeals for that District.

This California District Court ruling is nothing new or surprising and it is pretty much meaningless until the 9th Circuit Court rules on the issues.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

In recent years, according to Californias Field Poll, perceptions of the costs of incarceration relative to the death penalty have markedly changed in the state. Fifty-three percent of likely voters now believe the death penalty is more expensive than life imprisonment, up from 26 percent in 1989. Supporters had pointed to an influential study published by a federal appeals court judge and law professor that concluded California has spent $4 billion to carry out just 13 executions and cover other death penalty costs since capital punishment was reinstated in 1978.

The OP is about Maryland, not California. Each state has its own set of rules and procedures regarding death eligible offenses.

The OP says Maryland legislature abolished the death penalty. That is a legislative, not a judicial prerogative. The OP says the outgoing Maryland governor commuted the Maryland convictions.

How the heck are you intertwining California in this.

Am I missing something about the OP or are you actually that clueless to think a ruling from a California District Court would have any binding impact upon a Maryland Court?

Lol, Internet education ain't all its cracked up to be. A California District Court cannot strike or rule on any Maryland laws or force Maryland to do anything.

Am I missing something about the OP or are you actually that clueless to think a ruling from a California District Court would have any binding impact upon a Maryland Court?

I wouldn't say that nor did I say that because I know for a fact it does not, nor did I or any of the news articles I cited say it did, or would. You're trying to create strawman arguments and are failing at it because straw man arguments don't work...strawman arguments are cheap and transparent. Richard Nixon was notorious for being one among the high and the mighty who abused his position by creating straw man arguments.

You are indeed one confused guy, posting to the thread about Russians and Ukrainians having legal systems centered on digging in the woods, then a Los Angeles county death case jury, outgoing governors, going through a guy's gun case, clerking nightmares at an unidentified state supreme court in the mid-90s, the SCOTUS.....one could go on.

Nothing in your above post makes sense because the thread is about the death penalty in and of itself and its status in the state of Maryland. Neither your posts nor my posts have been removed as being off topic so whatever it is you might be on about, you might want to reconsider because your post has no basis in reality. The post is silly nonsense, drivel.

Objection overruled.

Any further frivolous objections will be noted.....wink.png