Shipping containers as building material

Foozool

Thai standard house build - 10-20k Baht per square metre dependant upon location and required finish level.

2 x 4 studs = meal for local critters, probably wouldn't last until you got the roof on.

When I built my house in Australia years ago it was steel frame with timber studs and lining and I was worried about termites getting in there and devouring the timber sections.

I read somewhere that termites will not go near or travel over aluminum so I put aluminum flashing at the top of each steel post, just below floor level.

To test the theory, while I was still building the house I set up two lots of pine sawdust, a delicacy to termites, one on a sheet of mild steel, the other on a sheet of aluminum plate. I made covers over both to block out the sun which the termites don't like.

After a couple of weeks I lifted the covers and the sawdust on the mild steel was almost gone, and there were termites all over it, carrying it away. The sawdust on the aluminum plate was untouched. So I knew it worked.

Older homes in Australia were built on hardwood stumps with steel caps on top, which overhand the timber stumps. I have seen houses where the termites had built mud "tunnels" up the post, over the steel cap and into the house.

As far as building with shipping containers goes there are lots of pros and cons and it depends on the area where you are building whether it is viable or not.

Thailand has cheap building materials for fitting them out but it depends on the cost of buying them and getting them on site.

I went to Google Images and typed in "shipping containers houses" and there are some amazing homes to see there. biggrin.png

Interesting about the aluminium! Thanks.

You don't even have to use regular flashing material, just go to the supermarket and buy a big roll of aluminum foil and wrap it around the posts and secure with zip-ties.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys, does anyone know how much a container is to purchase in thailand?

Where do you get them from, i can only assume BKK/

Any indications on cost to send to send to Udon Thani Province?

Seriously been researching this and want to build a habitable dwelling up on the farm....

Cheers...

Seriously been researching this and want to build a habitable dwelling up on the farm....

Cheers...

80,000 - 120,000baht depending on size and condition. Google for companies!

• Like 1

Cheers...

80,000 - 120,000baht depending on size and condition. Google for companies!

Thanks for that casualbiker, i have sussed out a few places, cheers mate. :)