Shipping containers as building material

Foozool

200Box designs, converts and refurbishes used cargo shipping containers into ... We also build custom modular buildings such as security or sentry houses, ...
classifieds.thaivisa.com/.../mobile-home-offices-for-sale-rent-made-from-re- furbished-shipping-containers-296032.html
INFO FROM t v SEARCH FUNTION

The cost of a shipping container is a lot more than using bricks to make walls. If you are interested in the aesthetics of them then ok, but as a cheaper building option they are not.

True, but when your lease on your land (or your marriage) ends, you can move a container.

And I'd put a container up against any local brick construction in a typhoon or an earthquake.

A single container maybe, but when "assembled" into a house using multiple containers maybe not, needs to be properly engineered

The cost of a shipping container is a lot more than using bricks to make walls. If you are interested in the aesthetics of them then ok, but as a cheaper building option they are not.

True, but when your lease on your land (or your marriage) ends, you can move a container.

And I'd put a container up against any local brick construction in a typhoon or an earthquake.

A single container maybe, but when "assembled" into a house using multiple containers maybe not, needs to be properly engineered

Is that the same as welding them together biggrin.png

• Like 2

Is that the same as welding them together biggrin.png

It could be, or if you are stacking them, you may need to frame them in down onto a proper footing or foundation

Pour slab, set containers.

Maybe want to move in future - bolt together instead of weld. Use lock pin receptacles at each corner.

Run electric and plumbing, then spray foam inside. Finish with panels. Cement board is fireproof and cheap - 175 baht a piece.

A great episode of Grand Designs was shown in the UK in channel 4.

Here's the link to the detail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2768293/I-m-desperate-gorgeous-girl-I-just-want-happy-explains-Channel-4-Grand-Designs-team-turn-cover-project.html

Shows what can be achieved with shipping containers.

Sadly, the DailyMail is blocked in Thailand. We all know about VPNs, but my feeling is, "why risk it?"

A great episode of Grand Designs was shown in the UK in channel 4.

Here's the link to the detail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2768293/I-m-desperate-gorgeous-girl-I-just-want-happy-explains-Channel-4-Grand-Designs-team-turn-cover-project.html

Shows what can be achieved with shipping containers.

Sadly, the DailyMail is blocked in Thailand. We all know about VPNs, but my feeling is, "why risk it?"

Ah, didn't realise. I used a VPN when I lived in Thailand.

Bricks are about 15 baht each, insulation bricks are about 18 baht, yes seen some people living in containers, usually Burmese workers on building sites, very hot if no air con,

I'm not sure what bricks you refer to, but standard this red bricks are less than 1 Baht each. 20x60cmx7cm AAC Blocks start at around 17 Baht each though.

• Like 1

Bricks are about 15 baht each, insulation bricks are about 18 baht, yes seen some people living in containers, usually Burmese workers on building sites, very hot if no air con,

I'm not sure what bricks you refer to, but standard this red bricks are less than 1 Baht each. 20x60cmx7cm AAC Blocks start at around 17 Baht each though.

Bad kitty,

Base on what you said (red brick 1 baht) building a small house should not be costly. Do you know what is average cost per square meter (I understand that rates could be vary by location) ?

How about American way ( 2x4 studs) ? How much does it cost ?

Thai standard house build - 10-20k Baht per square metre dependant upon location and required finish level.

2 x 4 studs = meal for local critters, probably wouldn't last until you got the roof on.

• Like 2

Actually most building in US is now steel studs rather than timber studs (at least that was what they used in Florida 30 years ago when I bought there) But there is no history of building wood stud homes of quality here so not sure anyone would know how.

. steel-studs-common-2.jpg

Bad kitty,

Base on what you said (red brick 1 baht) building a small house should not be costly. Do you know what is average cost per square meter (I understand that rates could be vary by location) ?

How about American way ( 2x4 studs) ? How much does it cost ?

Like you say, it depends... in major tourist centres, you won't build for less than 10K Baht/sqm. If upcountry, it's still possible to build a basic brick and tile house for as little as 8K/sqm, so long as you carefully control material costs.

Forget about using wood - you must use expensive wood if it's going to last, which makes steel and cement far, far cheaper.

Edited by IMHO

Not sure where this is going... but I can affirm that using local construction practice, with monitoring - if you know what to monitor, will give you whatever you might want for less than just about anywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

Not sure where this is going... but I can affirm that using local construction practice, with monitoring - if you know what to monitor, will give you whatever you might want for less than just about anywhere else in the world.

I have no doubt that's true. But just like I don't have the time, skillsets or inclination to watch them assembling my Ford Ranger, I'm a little busy to spend a year at full time watching them build my house. I'd rather spend that time earning my big fat western salary so I can pay for it.

I'm always a little envious of the guys who brag on how little they spent on having their village home built, only to read a little further down in their post that they virtually lived on site for a year and spent thousands of $$$ on gas to run around collecting their bargain windows, doors, fixtures, etc. I wish I had that much spare time.

Thai construction isn't what I consider WYSIWIG. It's not "what you see is what you get". Too many sins and shortcuts can be hidden where I'd never see them until it's way too late. And I've spent a good bit of my career as a QA inspection engineer. That's yet another reason that container construction appeals to me, where I don't understand local building techniques.

But I fully understand it's very different for a retired guy who does know how to keep tabs on local builders.

Edited by impulse

I have no doubt that's true. But just like I don't have the time, skillsets or inclination to watch them assembling my Ford Ranger, I'm a little busy to spend a year at full time watching them build my house. I'd rather spend that time earning my big fat western salary so I can pay for it.

I'm always a little envious of the guys who brag on how little they spent on having their village home built, only to read a little further down in their post that they virtually lived on site for a year and spent thousands of $$$ on gas to run around collecting their bargain windows, doors, fixtures, etc. I wish I had that much spare time.

Thai construction isn't what I consider WYSIWIG. It's not "what you see is what you get". Too many sins and shortcuts can be hidden where I'd never see them until it's way too late. And I've spent a good bit of my career as a QA inspection engineer. That's yet another reason that container construction appeals to me, where I don't understand local building techniques.

But I fully understand it's very different for a retired guy who does know how to keep tabs on local builders.

No matter what style of construction you do, mistakes will be made, and it will take another set of eyes to see them - so you're going to need someone you trust on-site regardless.

As for buying materials, that's not all the running around you maybe think it is... most of it is done over the phone and/or fax - the only times you should need to make trips yourself is when choosing things like roof & floor tiles, bathroom fittings etc. You end up doing this whether you buy all the materials or not though.

• Like 1

In Chiang Mai, to my knowledge, there are at least 3 commercial type establishments that are constructed using Shipping Containers. A Guesthouse of sorts just before the northern entrance to Wing 41, the same sort of thing near Chiang Mai Football Club, and more recently a 2 level coffee shop in Huay Kaew Road in the big tree on the western boundary of Maya. For me these 3 establishments look really great smile.png

Thai standard house build - 10-20k Baht per square metre dependant upon location and required finish level.

2 x 4 studs = meal for local critters, probably wouldn't last until you got the roof on.

When I built my house in Australia years ago it was steel frame with timber studs and lining and I was worried about termites getting in there and devouring the timber sections.

I read somewhere that termites will not go near or travel over aluminum so I put aluminum flashing at the top of each steel post, just below floor level.

To test the theory, while I was still building the house I set up two lots of pine sawdust, a delicacy to termites, one on a sheet of mild steel, the other on a sheet of aluminum plate. I made covers over both to block out the sun which the termites don't like.

After a couple of weeks I lifted the covers and the sawdust on the mild steel was almost gone, and there were termites all over it, carrying it away. The sawdust on the aluminum plate was untouched. So I knew it worked.

Older homes in Australia were built on hardwood stumps with steel caps on top, which overhand the timber stumps. I have seen houses where the termites had built mud "tunnels" up the post, over the steel cap and into the house.

As far as building with shipping containers goes there are lots of pros and cons and it depends on the area where you are building whether it is viable or not.

Thailand has cheap building materials for fitting them out but it depends on the cost of buying them and getting them on site.

I went to Google Images and typed in "shipping containers houses" and there are some amazing homes to see there. biggrin.png

When I built my house in Australia years ago it was steel frame with timber studs and lining and I was worried about termites getting in there and devouring the timber sections.

I read somewhere that termites will not go near or travel over aluminum so I put aluminum flashing at the top of each steel post, just below floor level.

To test the theory, while I was still building the house I set up two lots of pine sawdust, a delicacy to termites, one on a sheet of mild steel, the other on a sheet of aluminum plate. I made covers over both to block out the sun which the termites don't like.

After a couple of weeks I lifted the covers and the sawdust on the mild steel was almost gone, and there were termites all over it, carrying it away. The sawdust on the aluminum plate was untouched. So I knew it worked.

Older homes in Australia were built on hardwood stumps with steel caps on top, which overhand the timber stumps. I have seen houses where the termites had built mud "tunnels" up the post, over the steel cap and into the house.

As far as building with shipping containers goes there are lots of pros and cons and it depends on the area where you are building whether it is viable or not.

Thailand has cheap building materials for fitting them out but it depends on the cost of buying them and getting them on site.

I went to Google Images and typed in "shipping containers houses" and there are some amazing homes to see there. biggrin.png

Interesting about the aluminium! Thanks.