Tourists finally arrive on Jomtien beaches

Rimmer

Tourists finally arrive on Jomtien beaches

n19Lo.jpg

PATTAYA:--It took a while, but high season finally arrived at Jomtien-area beaches, with Jomtien, Yim Yom and Dongtan beaches swarming.

Tourists, mostly European, filled beach chairs and the empty sand between them beginning Dec. 23. The water is a bit chilly for Thais, but perfect for those from colder climates.

Vendors said, so far, high season has not been good as last year, but the number of tourists has increased in recent days. How long this “high season” will last, they couldn’t guess.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/tourists-finally-arrive-on-jomtien-beaches-44003?ref=pmci#sthash.Msaqyvnz.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-01-02 footer_n.gif

Things have been brisk in the Pattaya/Jomtien area for sure. All/most of the businesses and vendors are smiling right now. More than one taxi driver has said the increase is coming from Bangkok. A lot of Europeans and Thais, not too many Russians in the Jomtien area right now.

I suspect this surge will end on Monday, just guessing.

Edited by Roger Lee

So how come the Junta haven't done something about all the parasols overlapping to create a hell-hole in the shade! The beach vendors, beach chairs and beds are all okay in Pattaya & Samui but not Phuket or Hua Hin then? What a fekin joke. This is worse than ANY beach ever was on Phuket

• Like 1

I wonder whether that is all the expats who have suddenly disappeared from BKK over the past week. If so then your mini-boom will end on Sunday tailing off fully 6 days later. We'll see.

Impossible, everyone knows that the high class expats found in BKK would never go to a place like Pattaya

Lots and lots of cars in Jomtien so I assume the 1/2 the crowds are Thais from Bangkok and other towns nearby.

'Lots and lots of cars in Jomtien so I assume the 1/2 the crowds are Thais ..."

Because only Thais drive cars?? Undoubtedly many of the tourists are both Thai and farang who've travelled from elsewhere in Thailand, but then that's hardly a big change from any other holiday period. A tourist is a tourist.

Rather than counting the number of cars to decide if 1/2 the crowds are Thai, it would probably be easier to take a look at the actual people on the beach ... although one might mistake the occasional Chinese tourist for Thai whether spotted in a car or observed hitting the bottle of Mekong or Dang Som at the beach.

Lots and lots of cars in Jomtien so I assume the 1/2 the crowds are Thais from Bangkok and other towns nearby.

'Lots and lots of cars in Jomtien so I assume the 1/2 the crowds are Thais ..."

Because only Thais drive cars?? Undoubtedly many of the tourists are both Thai and farang who've travelled from elsewhere in Thailand, but then that's hardly a big change from any other holiday period. A tourist is a tourist.

Rather than counting the number of cars to decide if 1/2 the crowds are Thai, it would probably be easier to take a look at the actual people on the beach ... although one might mistake the occasional Chinese tourist for Thai whether spotted in a car or observed hitting the bottle of Mekong or Dang Som at the beach.

99.9 out of 100 cars driving around Jomtien are driven by Thais, I noticed.

99.9% tourists don't drive cars in Thailand I also noticed.

I sat on the beach today and over 60% were Thais I estimate.

Edited by BoneRanger

I wonder whether that is all the expats who have suddenly disappeared from BKK over the past week. If so then your mini-boom will end on Sunday tailing off fully 6 days later. We'll see.

Impossible, everyone knows that the high class expats found in BKK would never go to a place like Pattaya

Who do you think owns 70% of the condos? High class from BKK do

Damn it. My friends assure me that they're high class. Have I been duped?

Joking aside I am surprised how many families head East rather than West on long weekends!

So how come the Junta haven't done something about all the parasols overlapping to create a hell-hole in the shade! The beach vendors, beach chairs and beds are all okay in Pattaya & Samui but not Phuket or Hua Hin then? What a fekin joke. This is worse than ANY beach ever was on Phuket

Maybe bad luck or the fact that the beach bar owners did what they were asked to do down here. Unlike those who are a law under themselves in Phuket

Maybe bad luck or the fact that the beach bar owners did what they were asked to do down here. Unlike those who are a law under themselves in Phuket

What were they asked to do? Make the beach inaccessible with ridiculous parasol villages?

this forum news is messed up! I mean seriously. On the same day there are two articles telling us how bad things are in Pattaya and now everything is OK by lunchtime..

You think too much! biggrin.png

Maybe you mean You tink too mutt ?tongue.png

• Like 1

I'm not Thai, but I did drive my car from my Bangkok condo to spend this weekend at my Jomtien condo.

The golf course was crowded today.

With the 50% devaluation of the Rouble I can't see this high season lasting long. Especially in Jomtien with a large

Russian clientele. Many Thai agencies predict Russian numbers will drop 10% from last year. I would have thought 40%-50%

more probable. Even worse next year as the reality of sanctions, inflation tighten there grip. Time for Thailand to look after

the tourist/ex-pats they have rather than lament the ones you are unlikely to return for years to come as this Russia-Ukraine

pissing contest looks to be a protracted affair.

I am glad to hear that Jomtien, and other areas have at least got some tourists, of any kind

for the New Years part of the year. As Bone Ranger puts it however, watch what happens to

the crowds after mid month. Mr. bangkapi , I envy you, you must be rich to have 2 condos in Thailand! My friend in Hua Hin tells me that over all, the tourist numbers are down in

that part of the country as well. There are lots of people who travel during the Christmas and New

Year holidays, from all over Thailand, but they usually have to go back to their homes soon after that.

The Europeans and other tourists, may be coming for quick vacations this year as well, as their economies

are not great. I doubt that Thailand will have any better tourist numbers, than Vietnam , Malaysia, or

any other Asian countries have. Good Luck to you all

and Happy New Year as well!

Stargeezer

Most of the Tourists arriving at the beaches in the Jomtien area will be quality tourists from Bangkok.

After the 5th of Jan, they will all have retreated back to the city, and will have left a mountain of chicken bones, broken whisky and beer bottles, and dogs feces to be cleared up for the remaining users of the beaches.

Putting all the jokes aside , this is really really bad.

Not only small vendors do not make a living but most businesses are really suffering.

How many will be able to stay in business is a big question.

But looking at town, I am afraid next year/ this year is going to be a tough one

IMHO, the vast majority of the people coming to Pattaya-Jomtien these days (and over the past few years) are Bangkonians. That trend does not appear to be abating; I expect it to increase in the future. I am seeing Russian tourists, but fewer than last year. I am seeing more Chinese tourists than last year.

Who do you think owns 70% of the condos? High class from BKK do

My wife is in the trade ,70%are owned by people who buy to sell at a profit .

IMHO, the vast majority of the people coming to Pattaya-Jomtien these days (and over the past few years) are Bangkonians. That trend does not appear to be abating; I expect it to increase in the future. I am seeing Russian tourists, but fewer than last year. I am seeing more Chinese tourists than last year.

I think allot of Bangkokians discovered Pattay/Jomtien during the big floods of Bangkok a few years ago.

Also I noticed lots of the hotel sized condo rooms went on sale after that. 1 million baht rooms.

The Bangkok new year crowds left town Sunday and the streets are eerily quiet this Monday.

The Russian tourist boom is over. Look for all the Russian language signs converting to Chinese.