How to start a 2014 Suzuki Swift

She might habe mounted a seperate break lock which she locked whilst going away. They often lock both the break as well as the ignition.

I have the same security feature built in on my car. You can put.the key in, turn it, lights come on but you cannot start the engine unless you unlock the break lock.

• Like 1

There's a bunch of stuff in other forums about the keyless entry system on these - is there a red or blue key symbol on the display? If it's red it means the car can't see the keyfob and it won't start, it has to be blue, apparently.

An orange light in a key symbol comes on when I first put the key in, but it goes out after about 5 seconds.

I believe the battery is fine as the bells and beeps (eg open door while key is still in) are very strong and clear.

It could be the battery, as this bell beeper doesn't take a lot of electricity away. Max. 10 Watt.

Show her that you're a man, open the hood, check with a voltmeter ( red on plus, black on minus) if you've got at least 12 volt.

Anything under 12 shows an empty battery.

But she might have a switch somewhere, that disconnects a wire to the ignition, starter relays, etc...

Would the battery be empty, you'd see it when you turn the key to start the engine. The lights would get much darker.

But why don't you tell this woman to call her daughter and ask if she'd left the spare key?. coffee1.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

This spare key programing thing, does it apply to other cars blink.png

Must check my Toyota spare in the morning.

Show her that you're a man, open the hood, but instead of messing about with a voltmeter look sadly at the engine slowly shake your head mumbling Mmmmm! then in sympathetic voice while drawing in your breath ask "what cowboy did this? Gonna cost BIG money"

biggrin.png

This spare key programing thing, does it apply to other cars blink.png

Must check my Toyota spare in the morning.

My understanding is yes. The key has a chip in the fat end, this must be encoded with info from your cars VIN at the dealership so the ECU on scanning the chip can tell that this key belongs to this vehicle.

There's a bunch of stuff in other forums about the keyless entry system on these - is there a red or blue key symbol on the display? If it's red it means the car can't see the keyfob and it won't start, it has to be blue, apparently.

An orange light in a key symbol comes on when I first put the key in, but it goes out after about 5 seconds.

I believe the battery is fine as the bells and beeps (eg open door while key is still in) are very strong and clear.

Maybe the question is did she leave the car key she uses ? or the spare key ?

Suzuki is not the only car that has the key itself programed into the Immobilizer [was the spare also been programmed into the the car ?] so your 1st post may well be correct it is a security issue.

I have owned a Suzuki and a Honda, both were the same as you say, only the master key was programmed into the cars. the 2nd key and in the case of the Honda with 3 keys, everything worked except would not start, only with the master key

I think you could be onto it.

Hope so, too, because that retains my reputation as a fairly smart farang.

I just checked my spare swift key after I read your post. It also starts the car fine.

I just checked my spare swift key after I read your post. It also starts the car fine.

No idea just know that here in Thailand the spare key did not start the Honda, also the spare key will not start my Audi had never checked it before and had it since 2008 !! it opens the car, the dash light come on, but turning the key nothing... changed keys and turned key roared into life... on my Pickup both keys work fine on the BT50

Thanks everyone for your input.

Daughter is back now and showed me the secret....I think Robert24 above is correct......there was a 2nd key on the fob, and she unlocked something way below the steering column.

Just goes to show that linked review from a kind poster which talked about knowing how to start a particular model as they all seem to be different.

Cheers all.

Glad you got it sorted. A former poster did mention the possibility of a security lock on the pedals, that must have been it.

Hope your "Man" standing with you neighbor has not taken too much of a bashing whistling.gif

Getting back to the subject of spare remote keys working or not, I checked the spare of my Toyota and it worked just fine.

Testing a little more I found that if the car is locked with the remote using the key to open the door will not disable the alarm but if you can stand the noise when you put the key into the ignition to start the car the alarm will disable and the car will start.

thumbsup.gif