Which oil for chopping board?

MaiDong

Mineral oil is available in just about any pharmacy. It's called Johnson's baby oil. Look at the label, it's 99% mineral oil with a little fragrance added. The fragrance is food safe since it's baby oil, doesn't add flavor to the product you are cutting and goes away quick. Look at post 29. I oil it occasionally and set it outside to dry. Been using it for years.

Mineral oil is available in just about any pharmacy. It's called Johnson's baby oil. Look at the label, it's 99% mineral oil with a little fragrance added. The fragrance is food safe since it's baby oil, doesn't add flavor to the product you are cutting and goes away quick. Look at post 29. I oil it occasionally and set it outside to dry. Been using it for years.

Nice work.

And thanks for the info. Yes, Baby oil is mineral oil and Johnson's actually do a fragrance free version for newborns called Sensitive Touch and would appear to be pure mineral oil with no additives.

I paid 199 baht for half a litre of Ikea's Wood Treatment food grade mineral oil. Presumably the Baby Oil is similarly priced and is identical.

I have enough to be going on with but will probably go with the Baby Oil next time. Walnut oil is also good i've read. I'm actually a coconut oil junkie and drink it every day, but i'm unsure about the sweetness factor of coconut for this particular job. Either way, i'm sorted for sometime now.

• 9 months later...