Someone entered our house whilst away!

My wife and son left our rental in hua hin over Xmas and new years to be with family.

On wife's return she noticed things have been moved and someone had turned a tap on in bathroom (wife turned the water mains off when she left).

Must have been someone with a key.

My real-estate lady has entered our premises once before with potentiometer buyers without telling us and I warned her to not do that again (tresspassing).

What should my wife do? Call the police?

....definitely file a police report....

...somebody entered your home uninvited....

...as for the agent or landlady....do you think they will admit to it if it was them....

...make sure nothing is missing or has been switched or broken....

...also.........if anything transpired on the premises in your absence you could be held liable......

....'left the tap running'....meaning the whole place could have been flooded and destroyed.....???

...sounds like someone might be trying to do you harm or get rid of you......

....duh....yes go to the police with everyone that was present to corroborate your findings....

• Like 2

Check with the son first.

Change the locks and get a camera pointed at the door that records everything that moves, they are not that expensive and they can send an image to your email when the detect motion.

It's probably the real estate lady and it's more convenient to lie than to start the discussion with you. Her boss told her to show the apartment to a potential buyer and he's more important than you...

An external padlock only shows potential thieves you are away.

Most locks are 'barrel' types , and can be slid out and new ones slid in ... but if you arent handy dont attempt it . A locksmith may charge 1500 to 2000 all up . I think its worth it...

• Like 1

An external padlock only shows potential thieves you are away.

Most locks are 'barrel' types , and can be slid out and new ones slid in ... but if you arent handy dont attempt it . A locksmith may charge 1500 to 2000 all up . I think its worth it...

It is much easier to change the entire lockset assembly then to change or rekey the cylinder.

Especially with an existing door, if you can run a screwdriver you can change the lockset.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Use dead locks anything else can easily be opened

It was opened with a Key gandalf12------(Must have been someone with a key.--Dieter78)

All dead locks will still open with a key......... alt=wub.png>

Of course they will that is their function in life. Thing is you dont give anyone a key

1. Everywhere I have ever rented, the owner has the right to inspect HIS/HER property virtually any time.

2. Showing the property to "potentiometer" future renters while you are not there could be a courtesy to you so you are not bothered.

3. A "potentiometer" is a device used in electronics most easily understood as the volume control on a radio.

Yep, you are upset over nothing.wai.gif

• Like 1

in the USA there are deadbolts with keys on both sides ,

they are also illegal in a house as you can get locked in if there is a fire and you cannot find the key quick.....

also the manufacters are stupid and use regular phillips head screws so it can be taken apart from one side.....

also look at "key bumping" om youtube, rather scary if it is that easy to open a lock without a key !

1. Everywhere I have ever rented, the owner has the right to inspect HIS/HER property virtually any time.

I disagree. In my contracts it always said that the owner can inspect the property occasionally by prior arrangement at a time convenient to the tenant.

• Like 1

in the USA there are deadbolts with keys on both sides ,

they are also illegal in a house as you can get locked in if there is a fire and you cannot find the key quick.....

also the manufacters are stupid and use regular phillips head screws so it can be taken apart from one side.....

also look at "key bumping" om youtube, rather scary if it is that easy to open a lock without a key !

The side with the screws goes inside not outside. Illegal, that is the first time I have heard that but the US is paranoid about everything so it doesnt surprise me. Probably would hinder the cops during a drugs bust as well.

Must have been someone with a key.

The first thing I do when starting a tenancy is to change all the locks. On leaving I put the original locks back.

Trust no one.

I trust every one, but I do exactly the same, so I can go on trusting tongue.png

If I remember correctly, in general, if not specifically stated in the contract, the landlord has the power to visit his own properties anytime he wishes, BUT he must give reasonable time for notice. Usually this time is as short as 24 hours to as long as 3 days. So the owner is not asking for permission or checking to see if the tenant is available at that time to cope with him. It is simply a notice that is required to "let the tenant know we're coming".

Of course, contracts can change that, it depends on each individual. But this is for general.

• Like 1

you need to get the army involved .... someone is entering while your out ... why would the tap be left on in the bathroom. ?

Check the ceiling for any explosive devices .... check all the cupboards and sofas thoroughly ....

change the locks immediately and get some CCTV cameras fitted at all entrances.

check the telephone for wire taps if you have one and if your mobile is acting strange have the number changed immediately.

make sure you check anyone suspicious around at night and be cautious when opening the door.

always have someone go with you when walking around the building.

If you think it is a real estate agent and you don't want her in your house when you are not there then casually mention that one of the cobra snakes you were keeping in the house has gotten away and you can't find it. No threats or recriminations but if she thinks a snake is on the loose she won't come in your house whether you are there or not.

Our landlady has a key and used to come occasionally when we were absent. I encouraged the practice and urged her to visit as often as possible when we are away. I made sure the village manager and the security guys all know this. Apparently now she visits nearly every day when we're away - wife thinks she's scared shiteless that if we get burgled she'll be blamed for it. Cheaper than a security firm.

Also she did fix a leaking water tank/ballcock once when we were away for a month. Probably saved 10k Baht in wasted water.

OP - don't see these things as problems, see them as potential solutions to problems. Did she nick anything? And does it really matter if she went through your undie drawer while you were away?

I like your attitude. The last sentence is the clincher.