Pulled over by imigration

Dude, I have been living in Phuket since 2003, I am an oil worker and I was doing 6x6 week rotations till 2007, then 5x5 week rotations thereafter. I lived on 30 day stamps for all that time, which included a hop to KL maybe 5 times per year as my usual stay was more than 30 days.

I was always worried on coming into the country, are they gonna let me in or not. In the last year that worry became quite acute and I was having to book dummy flights out before coming back from work etc. I am no longer a salaried employee, I am a contractor so not much to prove my position except a Seaman's book.

So I bought the Elite card. I ffffing love it. With the price of oil at 50 bucks today, you may be out a job next month, so I suggest you buy the card so that if you do get stuck for 6 months with no work (like me right now), you do not have to worry about being turned away. If you can afford it, buy it. Oil and Gas, oil and gas ........

• Like 1

Thailand is a common destination for oil field workers. Immigration hasn't figured that out?

Now here we have a legitimate, high spending tourist. He even spends money in Thailand when he is not even here!!... paying for an apartment and supporting his lady.

What's wrong with Immigration, hassling these people? Especially when there is a crisis in the tourism sector.

Dumber than dirt.

Immigration are pretty dumb. I mean what employer in Thailand gives their staff 30 days leave every 4 weeks? But the people spending 365 days a year in country like retired or married visa people are never suspected of working illegal. Crazy isn't it?

• Like 2

I am also an Oil & Gas worker and do some strange rotations. A couple of times I have been asked "No visa?" to which I point out that I work in another country and am only staying 3 weeks. They never question beyond that and stamp my passport.

Now I have a multiple Thai Wife visa so it doesnt any longer happen

Thailand is a common destination for oil field workers. Immigration hasn't figured that out?

I could agree, but how is an Immigration Officer supposed to recognize a "oil worker"

from a guy who lives 1 month Thailand, 1 month Cambodia, 1 month Thailand, ... ?

"About 1 month in every 2 months" is not enough to know how they live and work.

I am also an Oil & Gas worker and do some strange rotations. A couple of times I have been asked "No visa?" to which I point out that I work in another country and am only staying 3 weeks. They never question beyond that and stamp my passport.

Wow! You can get a visa for having multiple wives?

555 just havin a laff.

I could agree, but how is an Immigration Officer supposed to recognize a "oil worker"

from a guy who lives 1 month Thailand, 1 month Cambodia, 1 month Thailand, ... ?

"About 1 month in every 2 months" is not enough to know how they live and work.

Immigration needs to put on their thinking cap and do something for these people from the oil fields.

Rub 2 brain cells together, just for 10 minutes or so.

Make some criteria so these "quality tourists" that they love so much ...don't get harassed by some moody Immigration cop.

As ubonjoe mentioned "As long as you can show 10,000 baht in cash and other proof that you are not working here they do not have any basis for denying entry."

If you are holding russian passport, they can not deny you 30 days visa waiver. I thought that was the deal with Russia and Russian tourists were allowed unlimited 30 day stamps because Thai officials did not read the fineprint smile.png

What "Fine Print" muratremix.....???

Are you having another Fantasy day.....?.

Please lets have a link to your story about a contract between Thailand & Russia, where just no one noticed the "Fine Print" that had been inserted on the bottom.......facepalm.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Wow! You can get a visa for having multiple wives?

555 just havin a laff.

Trust me one wife and two daughters is enough lol

Now here we have a legitimate, high spending tourist. He even spends money in Thailand when he is not even here!!... paying for an apartment and supporting his lady.

What's wrong with Immigration, hassling these people? Especially when there is a crisis in the tourism sector.

Kemosabe, such talk.

If you are holding russian passport, they can not deny you 30 days visa waiver. I thought that was the deal with Russia and Russian tourists were allowed unlimited 30 day stamps because Thai officials did not read the fineprint smile.png

He's a 47 year old English guy so I doubt he has a Russian passport.

Cut out all the rubbish

ubonjoe is correct about the immigration law and still had to say it twice.

My say is its just about the money

The OP is expected to bribe the officer to get entry

In other words its a scam

Since the military takeover the immigration officers have become more bold

Its always about the money and TVers on here who say it isn't are walking in the garden with the fairies.

• Like 1

Working on the contract in OZ 4/1 (4 weeks work/1 holiday) I was every time in Los for this 1 week off my work.

Last year I have travelled 7 times to Los then finished contract work in December and stayed over 8 month in Los on ED visa renting a condo living with my working g/f.

Some of my work mates have met same warnings lately when coming so often to Thai.

Most of them are just do not want to come to Los again ....just because of this growing problem ...(simply nobody wishes any problems going on so short vacation)

To be honest I have spent over $60K last year having good time in Los (including 6 months of learning Thai language) .

( I am not milioner ..just broken guy who finaly wanted to spent all hard earned money for himself and not last two ex-wife's who has beautifull life now )

Now I am planning to go to Europe for some time and I must admit I DO NOT WANT to spend 2 weeks in Thai before I go Europe and to be possibly hassled or have similiar problems in Los.

I have spent enough money in past in Los and in such short time ( and effort to communicate in their language) that I deserved a little respect now.

The effect of my decision is that my girlfriend must spent effort and meet me in Vietnam and she is very upset because of it.

But she is NOT upset on me ...she is upset on own people on the top.who do not have ability to see who is who.

I think ordinary Thai's must start learning that we are here to build their country from our money not to look for work for peanuts.

I think Los is spoiled to much now...

Another thing is ,that if someone does not like me in his home then I will not bother him with next visit again ..

We all understand that Los is trying to fix problems including emigration types but why I must affraid of harrasment when I want to spent own hard earned money in their country..

Why every province has own law and why those on top are not doing anything to cut stupidity and still gready emigration officers who trying to be "gods"

Honestly I loved this land and small people but I started to affraid of their smile.

I came across communism time in my younger years then comes to emigration and not easy life and after retirement time where my pension does not allow for decent life for lonely fellow ..

Now I am trying to have peacufull time and Los is no more to be my future country ....I experienced enough bad things in my past .

This is ridiculous to be in this country for so many years and to be bothered with visa's every year and every 3 months with reports....

How many of farangs spent more then 15 years in Los havings kids families and still begging for visa extension ????

This is best example ...how they love us.

I think that Prime minister should read TV time to time ....and see our (farangs) opinion not those who are employed to feed us with those funny adds in media trying to convince us that we are welcome.

Yes our money to be spent quickly but not realy us.

I still believe is is good guy but ..... I have no time ......any more.

p.s

I would like to know one thing...

If someone officialy lodged complain on dishonest office or it's workers in Los ??? ... because I did .

Yes I know ....my one letter will be in rubbish bin but if more letters will be sent then finaly this bin will have no space......

and because Thai's have problem with bin's .... hence maybe one day someone will start reading ..

Sorry for my style but I am old and be able to speak 4 languages does not make me perfect in writing.coffee1.gifwai.gif

• Like 2

He's a 47 year old English guy so I doubt he has a Russian passport.

I am 63 and have 2 nationalities passports

Edited by gigman

Mix things up a bit. Put a hotel address instead of your normal place that you stay.

Immigration doesn't really care about that. If an officer is determined to give someone an hard time he/she will, unless told otherwise by a superior.

Cut out all the rubbish

ubonjoe is correct about the immigration law and still had to say it twice.

My say is its just about the money

The OP is expected to bribe the officer to get entry

In other words its a scam

Since the military takeover the immigration officers have become more bold

Its always about the money and TVers on here who say it isn't are walking in the garden with the fairies.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there have been numerous posts and threads about this "6-stamp" rule that is being enforced across the nation that ubonjoe rightly points out is not written in legislation.

I went through it today, no expectation of a bribe, it is in the computer database and it is a rule they are enforcing.

Did you pass gass? Then it would have been a reason for the officer to think you are "working here".

no, he was just doing as the computer told him.

Edit:

Otherwise he was extremely pleasant and understanding. Laughed and smiled the whole time, but "new rule, next time get a multi entry tourist visa and you have no problem"

Edited by dickyknee

As long as you can show 10,000 baht in cash and other proof that you are not working here they do not have any basis for denying entry. There is no police order, regulation or rule that limits the number of visa exempt entries or the number of days on them.

They can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act for not having financial proof and/or under suspicion of working here.

How can you prove that you are not working here? How is that provable?

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there have been numerous posts and threads about this "6-stamp" rule that is being enforced across the nation that ubonjoe rightly points out is not written in legislation.

I went through it today, no expectation of a bribe, it is in the computer database and it is a rule they are enforcing.

I don't think it's in the computer. Some report talks about "too many entries". Other about "more than 90 days in six months", that is the old rule that is no more. And then people is let in, thing that would not be possible if there was such a rule, because immigration is not there to break rules in favor of the common foreigner.

So clearly, there is no consistency, and there is no rule. At most, there is some half-broken warning system in the database.

I don't think it's in the computer. Some report talks about "too many entries". Other about "more than 90 days in six months", that is the old rule that is no more. And then people is let in, thing that would not be possible if there was such a rule, because immigration is not there to break rules in favor of the common foreigner.

So clearly, there is no consistency, and there is no rule. At most, there is some half-broken warning system in the database.

its in the computer, he showed me. A big yellow splash screen. If only I could take a photo. I'm not the only one to say this.

The six entries being reported seems consistent, though the qualifying period is inconsistent.

Edited by dickyknee

If you love to come often to Thailand, have a nice villa, a lovely girlfriend... why not go for Thailand Elite?

You certainly have a good salary, so, what is 100,000b per year for a guaranteed trouble free stay each time you come back, a welcome home feeling from immigration, no more worries, and all your thoughts going to the ones you love instead of visa concerns?

You happiness is life is worth more than just 100,000b per year, right?

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

its in the computer, he showed me. A big yellow splash screen. If only I could take a photo. I'm not the only one to say this.

The six entries being reported seems consistent, though the qualifying period is inconsistent.

I'm not saying you're the only one, there reports are popping up more frequently, from Don Mueang especially.

But there is really no consistency, as there was one from Cambodia land border where the problem was "more than 90 days", or at least the foreigner understood.

If you love to come often to Thailand, have a nice villa, a lovely girlfriend... why not go for Thailand Elite?

You certainly have a good salary, so, what is 100,000b per year for a guaranteed trouble free stay each time you come back, a welcome home feeling from immigration, no more worries, and all your thoughts going to the ones you love instead of visa concerns?

You happiness is life is worth more than just 100,000b per year, right?

I take exception to your approach here. You routinely brag about Thai Elite card in its dedicated threads, that is all good and fine. Now what's the point of advertising advocating the same when the discussion is truly about Thai immigration abusing their power.

Edited by paz

Dude, I have been living in Phuket since 2003, I am an oil worker and I was doing 6x6 week rotations till 2007, then 5x5 week rotations thereafter. I lived on 30 day stamps for all that time, which included a hop to KL maybe 5 times per year as my usual stay was more than 30 days.

I was always worried on coming into the country, are they gonna let me in or not. In the last year that worry became quite acute and I was having to book dummy flights out before coming back from work etc. I am no longer a salaried employee, I am a contractor so not much to prove my position except a Seaman's book.

So I bought the Elite card. I ffffing love it. With the price of oil at 50 bucks today, you may be out a job next month, so I suggest you buy the card so that if you do get stuck for 6 months with no work (like me right now), you do not have to worry about being turned away. If you can afford it, buy it. Oil and Gas, oil and gas ........

But why not just get a triple entry tourist visa for $120USD? You can make it last 9 months with the right timing and 2 in and outs. You would save a ton and can use the extra $$$ visiting some cool places on your in/ outs.

But why not just get a triple entry tourist visa for $120USD? You can make it last 9 months with the right timing and 2 in and outs. You would save a ton and can use the extra $$$ visiting some cool places on your in/ outs.

Where can you get a triple entry tourist visa in this region, except in Bali (where you must show outbound tickets for all three entries)?

Edited by thaibreaker