Pulled over by imigration

Dude, I have been living in Phuket since 2003, I am an oil worker and I was doing 6x6 week rotations till 2007, then 5x5 week rotations thereafter. I lived on 30 day stamps for all that time, which included a hop to KL maybe 5 times per year as my usual stay was more than 30 days.

I was always worried on coming into the country, are they gonna let me in or not. In the last year that worry became quite acute and I was having to book dummy flights out before coming back from work etc. I am no longer a salaried employee, I am a contractor so not much to prove my position except a Seaman's book.

So I bought the Elite card. I ffffing love it. With the price of oil at 50 bucks today, you may be out a job next month, so I suggest you buy the card so that if you do get stuck for 6 months with no work (like me right now), you do not have to worry about being turned away. If you can afford it, buy it. Oil and Gas, oil and gas ........

But why not just get a triple entry tourist visa for $120USD? You can make it last 9 months with the right timing and 2 in and outs. You would save a ton and can use the extra $$$ visiting some cool places on your in/ outs.

Where can you get a triple entry tourist visa in this region, except in Bali (where you must show outbound tickets for all three entries)?

Before your six month visit here and before you purchased Thai Elite for over $15,000USD You could have taken a trip to your home country and had a visit on a cheap plane ticket and get the triple entry or some other easier places than Bali. You also sound like you are looking for work and if you most likely find it outside Thailand you might not use four more years of it or have less visits here due to work. If you are really f'n loving it then you are certainly doing the right thing for you.

Dude, I have been living in Phuket since 2003, I am an oil worker and I was doing 6x6 week rotations till 2007, then 5x5 week rotations thereafter. I lived on 30 day stamps for all that time, which included a hop to KL maybe 5 times per year as my usual stay was more than 30 days.

I was always worried on coming into the country, are they gonna let me in or not. In the last year that worry became quite acute and I was having to book dummy flights out before coming back from work etc. I am no longer a salaried employee, I am a contractor so not much to prove my position except a Seaman's book.

So I bought the Elite card. I ffffing love it. With the price of oil at 50 bucks today, you may be out a job next month, so I suggest you buy the card so that if you do get stuck for 6 months with no work (like me right now), you do not have to worry about being turned away. If you can afford it, buy it. Oil and Gas, oil and gas ........

But why not just get a triple entry tourist visa for $120USD? You can make it last 9 months with the right timing and 2 in and outs. You would save a ton and can use the extra $$$ visiting some cool places on your in/ outs.

Where can you get a triple entry tourist visa in this region, except in Bali (where you must show outbound tickets for all three entries)?

Before your six month visit here and before you purchased Thai Elite for over $15,000USD You could have taken a trip to your home country and had a visit on a cheap plane ticket and get the triple entry or some other easier places than Bali. You also sound like you are looking for work and if you most likely find it outside Thailand you might not use four more years of it or have less visits here due to work. If you are really f'n loving it then you are certainly doing the right thing for you.

I understood the OP was after solutions in the region, as he only travels between work in Russia and to his "home" in Phuket. But the three entries he can get in the UK, I guess.

The easiest solution is to just bring what is necessary, such as money, pictures and contract of his work. He will not be denied entry if so, as Ubonjoe mentioned.

Edited by thaibreaker

Cut out all the rubbish

ubonjoe is correct about the immigration law and still had to say it twice.

My say is its just about the money

The OP is expected to bribe the officer to get entry

In other words its a scam

Since the military takeover the immigration officers have become more bold

Its always about the money and TVers on here who say it isn't are walking in the garden with the fairies.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there have been numerous posts and threads about this "6-stamp" rule that is being enforced across the nation that ubonjoe rightly points out is not written in legislation.

I went through it today, no expectation of a bribe, it is in the computer database and it is a rule they are enforcing.

6 stamps in your passport or 6 stamps in your passport since August 1 ??

If you love to come often to Thailand, have a nice villa, a lovely girlfriend... why not go for Thailand Elite?

You certainly have a good salary, so, what is 100,000b per year for a guaranteed trouble free stay each time you come back, a welcome home feeling from immigration, no more worries, and all your thoughts going to the ones you love instead of visa concerns?

You happiness is life is worth more than just 100,000b per year, right?

I take exception to your approach here. You routinely brag about Thai Elite card in its dedicated threads, that is all good and fine. Now what's the point of advertising advocating the same when the discussion is truly about Thai immigration abusing their power.

The point is that I (and another oil worker above this reply) think that Thailand Elite is the best solution.

For someone with a good salary it is certainly an affordable and highly convenient option.

While you focus on "abuse of power from immigration", I focus on the OP's happiness when he comes to Thailand... Two very different ways of looking at the OP's question, and very different "points"... Mine is certainly more optimistic.

I'm curious. What should a person such as the previous poster: Dickyknee do if confronted by an Immigration Officer who denies him entry based on a rule that appears not to exist?

Should he just stand there and demand a supervisor be called? What are a persons options in this situation?

To deny entry requires more than the immigration officer at the desk. It takes the signature of a high ranking officer for it to happen.

With the attitude of ignorance that prevails at Phuket Immigration, I can just about see the 'high ranking officer' saying to anyone questioning denied entry, "Sorry about that. My underling totally misunderstood the visa rules as they relate to your unique circumstances and made a mistake. Accept my apologies and welcome to Thailand." Nice fairy tale.

You repeatedly quote this section 12 rule of "not having financial proof and/or under suspicion of working here" as it is the only poit of reference we have. The second part is the catch all. There is absolutely nothing to prevent the 'high ranking officer' deciding that the documents are either inadequate or even fake and approving the initial denial of entry.

The rules are arbitrary, whimsical and basically unenforceable but that fits well with the loose interpretations of those wearing a uniform and blessed with enforcing the nebulous immigration rules in Thailand.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As long as you can show 10,000 baht in cash and other proof that you are not working here they do not have any basis for denying entry. There is no police order, regulation or rule that limits the number of visa exempt entries or the number of days on them.
They can only deny entry under section 12 of the immigration act for not having financial proof and/or under suspicion of working here.

How can you prove that you are not working here? How is that provable?

It is impossible to prove a negative

If you love to come often to Thailand, have a nice villa, a lovely girlfriend... why not go for Thailand Elite?

You certainly have a good salary, so, what is 100,000b per year for a guaranteed trouble free stay each time you come back, a welcome home feeling from immigration, no more worries, and all your thoughts going to the ones you love instead of visa concerns?

You happiness is life is worth more than just 100,000b per year, right?

I take exception to your approach here. You routinely brag about Thai Elite card in its dedicated threads, that is all good and fine. Now what's the point of advertising advocating the same when the discussion is truly about Thai immigration abusing their power.

The point is that I (and another oil worker above this reply) think that Thailand Elite is the best solution.

For someone with a good salary it is certainly an affordable and highly convenient option.

While you focus on "abuse of power from immigration", I focus on the OP's happiness when he comes to Thailand... Two very different ways of looking at the OP's question, and very different "points"... Mine is certainly more optimistic.

The OP does not need to invest in TE. For the next 2-3 years, he can change his travel plans to clear immigration at Suvarnabhumi. Beyond that, he can get a Non-O and file a retirement extension.

When I worked in Kazakhstan I came in on a 30 day visa for 3 years and no one said a word about it and I was doing it every few weeks as I was on a 6/2 rotation

Entering the country in Phuket were you? A 6/2 rotation means you made at most 5 entries a year, nothing like 'every few weeks'.

I think if you have dependents in Thailand like a Thai wife and children it makes a huge difference

The OP has a girlfriend which, like most countries, isn't considered a dependent.

Thailand is a common destination for oil field workers. Immigration hasn't figured that out?

I could agree, but how is an Immigration Officer supposed to recognize a "oil worker"

from a guy who lives 1 month Thailand, 1 month Cambodia, 1 month Thailand, ... ?

"About 1 month in every 2 months" is not enough to know how they live and work.

Whilst they might not be able to recognise an "oil worker" they should surely be able to recognise from the stamps in his passport that he is working overseas on rotation.

I was doing a 10/3 rotation and each time I left Thailand the airline check-in desk would ask me to show them proof that I had a valid visa for my destination.

If the airline check-in desk could read and check my visa/work permit, why can't the immigration people?

I'm curious. What should a person such as the previous poster: Dickyknee do if confronted by an Immigration Officer who denies him entry based on a rule that appears not to exist?

Should he just stand there and demand a supervisor be called? What are a persons options in this situation?

To deny entry requires more than the immigration officer at the desk. It takes the signature of a high ranking officer for it to happen.

With the attitude of ignorance that prevails at Phuket Immigration, I can just about see the 'high ranking officer' saying to anyone questioning denied entry, "Sorry about that. My underling totally misunderstood the visa rules as they relate to your unique circumstances and made a mistake. Accept my apologies and welcome to Thailand." Nice fairy tale.

You repeatedly quote this section 12 rule of "not having financial proof and/or under suspicion of working here" as it is the only poit of reference we have. The second part is the catch all. There is absolutely nothing to prevent the 'high ranking officer' deciding that the documents are either inadequate or even fake and approving the initial denial of entry.

The rules are arbitrary, whimsical and basically unenforceable but that fits well with the loose interpretations of those wearing a uniform and blessed with enforcing the nebulous immigration rules in Thailand.

Which are probably used 1000 to 1 to grant entry to questionable tourists, students, and business men than to exclude anyone. We should all be thankful the rules are so loose and nebulous.

Which are probably used 1000 to 1 to grant entry to questionable tourists, students, and business men than to exclude anyone. We should all be thankful the rules are so loose and nebulous.

No, we only appreciate loose rules when it suits us.

Thailand is a common destination for oil field workers. Immigration hasn't figured that out?

Now here we have a legitimate, high spending tourist. He even spends money in Thailand when he is not even here!!... paying for an apartment and supporting his lady.

What's wrong with Immigration, hassling these people? Especially when there is a crisis in the tourism sector.

<deleted>

I wonder why is Thailand such a common destination for oil field workers??

Maybe immigration is taking the view that a lady should support herself & not rely on a free handout. After all, the immigration officer has to work for his/her money.

No, we only appreciate loose rules when it suits us.
By George! I think he's got it!

I'm the same as you, travelling in and out every 35 days. I went to the a visa company and got a retirement visa, it cost me 21,000.00 for a 15 month visa and you can stay 90 days and just report after 90 days to stay longer and you don't have to show anything, just give them your passport and money and your done in two days. It was the easies way and for the cost of me running out of the country on visa runs and my time, it was cheaper. I have not had any problems after I got the visa.

I'm the same as you, travelling in and out every 35 days. I went to the a visa company and got a retirement visa, it cost me 21,000.00 for a 15 month visa and you can stay 90 days and just report after 90 days to stay longer and you don't have to show anything, just give them your passport and money and your done in two days. It was the easies way and for the cost of me running out of the country on visa runs and my time, it was cheaper. I have not had any problems after I got the visa.

The OP is under age 50, so this isn't an option (yet).

Why would you pay 21,000 baht for something that costs 1900 baht?

Secondly, your visa is only valid for 12 months...if you time your last entry correctly, you period of stay in Thailand can be up to 15 months.