Bangkok: Sign inside taxi explains why he won't use meter

webfact

Excuses all the time.....many of these taxi mafia are simply pricks......

A small number of them are problematic.

I have twice had taxi drivers take me very short distance and not charge me for the ride. (once during Songkran where I wanted to go about 1km to the BTS stop to avoid the water, and once around 2km to a late night dance place. In the second case I suspect that part of the cost of the standard admission - is available as a kickback to taxi drivers if they bring people there.... I offered and he said no fare.

I think it only fair to raise the point that 500 Baht is not a great deal of money, especially if you are from a country such as the UK (as I am) where that ammount of cash would not get to to the next junction.

I stopover in Bangkok very often and have never been overcharged for the taxi to my regular hotel. Instead I feel bad about that fact that the driver has waited in line for hours at the airport, only to get me who is going 5 minutes down the road for a fair of Baht 90. I always pay Baht 200 to resolve my concience.

I don't mind going off-meter, as long as you agree to the fee beforehand and the driver sticks to it.

Sucker! infact for many thais 500bht is a lot of money, never been told the minimum wage is 300baht per day?

I think it only fair to raise the point that 500 Baht is not a great deal of money, especially if you are from a country such as the UK (as I am) where that ammount of cash would not get to to the next junction.

I stopover in Bangkok very often and have never been overcharged for the taxi to my regular hotel. Instead I feel bad about that fact that the driver has waited in line for hours at the airport, only to get me who is going 5 minutes down the road for a fair of Baht 90. I always pay Baht 200 to resolve my concience.

I don't mind going off-meter, as long as you agree to the fee beforehand and the driver sticks to it.

I won't encourage drivers to not use the meter and will almost always refuse them, unless going outside the city or just not in the mood to walk a little bit to get away from a spot where it is common, but I will generally pay / tip the driver who uses the meter the same amount that the other taxis were quoting.

One thing that helps avoid even dealing with taxi drivers who go off meter is to literally ignore the ones who stop and roll down their window. If they roll down their window then they either want to know where you are going before they agree or are going to try to work out a set price.

But like you, it really doesn't bother me that some try to charge more as it is not common and never a real issue for me. But it does bother me if this story is true and happened at the airport as this can be easily controlled and not something new arrivals should have to deal with ... outside a disco or mall or the occasional driver in the city, no big deal, just part of living in Bangkok .... more frustrating not be able to find a cab sometimes when you're in a hurry.

• Like 1

Sucker! infact for many thais 500bht is a lot of money, never been told the minimum wage is 300baht per day?

So all the mercs, bmws. lamboghinis and porches in Bangkok are owned by farang?

So all the mercs, bmws. lamboghinis and porches in Bangkok are owned by farang?

I dont know anyone here who owns any of those vehicles, but i do know a few thais who get far less than the minimum 300bht per day.

This is not the UK so why make the comparison in the first place.

As to paying 200Bt for a 90 Bt fare. It's that kind of idiocy that causes some Thais to think it's okay to over charge westerners and ruin it for those that live here and are not on a UK salary.

• Like 2

The cost of living is not the same as the UK, here 500 Baht IS a great deal of money almost 2 full days work on minimum wages. Would you pay 2 days wages for a single taxi ride back home?

Well said mate----I was thinking the same thing.In fact I too did not think 500bt was A lot of money but after a few yrs it means a lot more to me now

yah 500 bt or 15 bucks for a falung is no big taxi money from the airport to downtown if the normal meter might be 200-250 bt - but these guys are all running NGV or LNG or whatever gas and the cost for LNG is like 50 bt from the airport... anyway - yes it is low cost taxi's here ...but if the airport liscened guy is jacking it up to 500 bt... man i got in a sumi airport a few months ago and i live in Rangsit - 45kms and the meter cost was like 300-350 and i gave the guy 500 bt - 150 bt tip maybe 200 bt tip...and i always give a 100 bt + tip if i have to take a cabbie downtown - but i drive mostly but yah - i will give the cabbie a half decent tip - but when downtown the odd night and need to come back to Rangsit - after 4-5 cabs say no and you realize that the NGV cost not very much to drive out and back - real cheap - maybe 100 bt max... - but they all say - "no no too expensive" ...one story from a couple of months ago - agreed on 400 bt from downtown to Rangsit... ok fair price as would be 300 on the meter and was 2 am...and at the tollway I had to change a 500 bt bill so he has 460 baht in his hand and now wants 460bt for the fare... i hem and haw for a second and say ok ok ok ... so we get out to the end of the tollway and down to my street and he pulls over to drop me off and he says his tank is empty... 5 5 5 so now he wants to know where the NGV station is to fill up ... well ... my arms come up with palms up and the " I don't know sorry look" Pom Mai Sap buddy - but there was a place just back aorund the U turn and I told him - but was too funny...and he was high on something as well which i didn't notice until a few miles into the drive... anyway - would have been a laugh to have seen the cab conk out of fuel after he dropped me off but am pretty sure he drove the u turn and found the ptt gas... but maybe not....5 5 5

The cost of living is not the same as the UK, here 500 Baht IS a great deal of money almost 2 full days work on minimum wages. Would you pay 2 days wages for a single taxi ride back home?

Excellent point firestar. Tourists like drink75 are the reason that many locals have to stop several taxis in the tourist rich areas of BKK before finding one that will use the meter. If you actually feel bad for locals with low incomes, stop overpaying.

Personally, I don't mind negotiating a fare beforehand. Was always so here before the arrival of the meters. A fare to downtown Sukhumvhit is about £8 or $13. Just spent $100 (Bt3000) for a taxi ride to the airport back home, over a similar distance, to catch a flight to Swampy. About 7 times the price. Some of you guys on TV really are kineaw's smile.png

Edited by MickGC

Then she should have demanded he stop, gone back to the taxi counter, told them and insisted on being allotted a legitimate taxi - then called the taxi complaints number. Should certainly call them, anyway. If they do what they claim, his B500 is going to cost him B1,000.

Personally, I don't mind negotiating a fare beforehand. Was always so here before the arrival of the meters. A fare to downtown Sukhumvhit is about £8 or $13. Just spent $100 (Bt3000) for a taxi ride to the airport back home, over a similar distance, to catch a flight to Swampy. About 7 times the price. Some of you guys on TV really are kineaw's smile.png

This isn't the US. Horses for courses, for want of a better analogy.

Rates in Vietnam start lower, climb at the same rate, but at lesser distances. Works out roughly the same - but never an issue with the meter.

I always get the airport rail link. Much less hassle.

Much less hassle - Fxxking clueless

Buy ticket and wait for the airport train, change at Makassan to MRT and buy new ticket, change at Asoke to BTS and buy new ticket, and get taxi from On Nut BTS to condo our house all the while carrying luggage up and down the stairs and queuing for tickets if you don't have the correct change. Inrush hour it is hard to board the trains, let alone while carrying suitcases

• Like 2

Personally I don't mind if when you arrived at the airport it was mandatory to have "TOURIST" stamped right on your forehead so all the taxi drivers knew it was ok to break the law and rip you off.

Me - living here - with all my thai friends - well, we'll just enjoy laughing at you all the more.

Get a life. I hope next time you land at wherever you live they charge you 1000usd for your taxi ride.

• Like 1

I always agree to the fare ... the fare that the meter reads at the end of my trip.

• Like 1

The sign says that this taxi is bigger and more expensive, hence the reason for the refusal. It also notes that it therefore uses more fuel and more of many other things compared to other taxis.

Edited by Impossible

She could have taken the airport link (AL) and BTS to On Nut, perhaps. I know the trains can sometimes be crowded and she might have had a lot of luggage or it was after hours, but I'd bet many are not aware they can use and AL/BTS/MRT itinerary instead of taxis.

I went to the airport in November to meet relatives and rode a folding bicycle (non-folding bicycles are disallowed on AL) to the Makkasan AL station from Asok. It pays to know the Bangkok public transportation options. One might be advised to think twice about taking a bus, however.

Why would she ? That's a hell of a detour and it will also take a hell of a lot longer. She could have taken the ARL to Hua Mak and take a taxi there to minimize the detour.

To be honest, the ARL is a disaster, as it only runs about three times an hour, and if it runs, it becomes so busy along the way that getting out of the train (with luggage) becomes a real chore.

She should just have refused and taken the next available taxi, now she paid three times the meter fare, and I know it still isn't a big amount of money, but it's the principle that counts here. They are called meter taxi for a reason.

I really cannot see a problem.

Why not just negotiate and agree the fare with the driver prior to setting off on the journey? This is how it was done before meter taxis were introduced and how deals have always been conducted in Thailand dating back to the Jurassic period.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A translation in of the sign would help us see this excuse.

Although I am think it is truly just an excuse and has no merit because he would find other work which has rules to follow no matter what job he does

It is translated. See link. You can always step out of the vehicle and not ride. Simple solution.

Getting out of the taxi is indeed the way to go. Second option is to use the complaint note she would have been given if the taxi was assigned to her. As a word of caution, don't give, or let the driver keep, the red slip.

As a note, this is the first time i have heard of this sort of abuse from the taxi ranks at either airport. And i use them a lot.

If you have luggage it's not that easy to "get out". If you do get out on the side of the high way, who in their right mind would pick you up?

So I suggest as the passenger get's into the taxi to verify if the driver uses the meter? Be prepared to take pictures of both the taxi number, driver name, his sign, and get a receipt for the fair?

Then report the issue to the taxi commission