Think We Look Like Farang!

Gringogazzer

The wife & I are visiting Chiang Mai for the 1st time, so as much as I'm a disinterested tourist, the wife likes to see the sights & picture the lot.

We took a ride up to Bhuping Palace & walked over to the ticket counter.

In front of us were 5 Thai ladies buying tickets & the woman in the booth asked if they were Thai, regarding the Thai/ foreigner price.

Roughly translated she said non too impressed, "We Thai people. Can sing a song for the King" Pleng chaat Thai, national anthem.

The woman behind her then jumped in & said "Think we look like Farang!!!"

My wife was still giggling away at the sing a song remark & I over this Thai domestic because of the issue which has split many on here.

She issued the tickets to mumblings & I moved to get my ticket.

I said 2 kon Thai & the woman already distressed was looking around for the second Thai I was with.

Half giggling I apologised & asked for 1 Thai (wife's Laotian but I still take my cheap Charlie discount for fun, except temples) & 1 foreigner.

The fact is seeing how offended Thai people get at not automatically being reckonized as of the Thai people it's no wonder thoses who man the counter booths wave through thoses (including my wife) who resemble Thai people (Asians) for the reduced price.

It's just a can of worms.

But for me, humourous to say the least, seeing this domestic loss of "face".

Flowers were nice too.

Yeah and while I don't want to go into the same old discussion about dual pricing (there's already another discussion running on this forum about this topic, which has lost it's momentum) and we know it's wrong (and there's nothing wrong with trying to get the discount BTW especially if you have a Thai driver's licence or something) but the fact they don't check the ID cards of those that visit but use racial profiling to decide who's Thai and who isn't, makes it a lot worse but at the same time proves certain stereotypes - Thais think the only foreigners visiting Thailand are "farang" and can't tell another Asian apart from a Thai.

• Like 1

But the other thing which is a potential serious concern for any luuk-khreung out there is IF they are not immediately recognized as Thais and IF they were charged a higher rate is that they would effectively be treated as second class citizens and that is completely unacceptable.

I wonder if any Luuk-khreung, who are Thai citizens have ever had anything to say about this matter. I can imagine most would be treated fairly, but then again there might be some isolated cases where this is not the case.

That to me is even more of an outrage than us "farang", who aren't citizens anyway being treated unfairly, because as much as it sucks we can just say well: "it's discriminatory, but hey, it's not our country and we can choose to leave here if we don't like it" but luuk khreung may not have the same luxury. Similarly I wonder how Indian-Thais are treated.

But the other thing which is a potential serious concern for any luuk-khreung out there is IF they are not immediately recognized as Thais and IF they were charged a higher rate is that they would effectively be treated as second class citizens and that is completely unacceptable.

I wonder if any Luuk-khreung, who are Thai citizens have ever had anything to say about this matter. I can imagine most would be treated fairly, but then again there might be some isolated cases where this is not the case.

That to me is even more of an outrage than us "farang", who aren't citizens anyway being treated unfairly, because as much as it sucks we can just say well: "it's discriminatory, but hey, it's not our country and we can choose to leave here if we don't like it" but luuk khreung may not have the same luxury. Similarly I wonder how Indian-Thais are treated.

I just ask them for a ticket in Thai and they give me the Thai price.

Once or twice I've been asked for an ID card, which I show. And the off I go.

• Like 2

There are some places that you actually must be a citizen and not just a resident to get in for Thai price.

And sorry for the wake up call to the ignorant women, there are many asians in Thailand that are not Thai, farang doesn't mean tourist.

• Like 1